Real Zaragoza - The story of J. Baldó - 2018-2019 September

subpop
3364 posts National Call-Up
edited June 2017
This is the story of a fiction man: Joan Baldó. You'll know more about him in the following posts... and forgive my English since it's not my native language. I hope you enjoy this story as I enjoy yours.
UunHbBF.jpg
  • Real Zaragoza
  • Nicknames: Los Maños (The Zaragozans), Los Blanquillos (Little Whites)
  • Founded: 18 March 1932
  • Ground: La Romareda – 34,596 seats
  • Owner: Fundación Zaragoza 2032
  • President: Christian Lapetra
  • Honours:

Domestic competition:

6 - Copa del Rey: 1964, 1966, 1986, 1994, 2001, 2004
1 - Supercopa de España: 2004
1 - LaLiga Primera División Runner-Up: 1975
1 - LaLiga Segunda División: 1978

International competition:

1 - UEFA Cup Winners Cup: 1995
1 - Inter-Cities Fairs Cup: 1964
Post edited by subpop on

Comments

• subpop
    IGsowgI.png
    Biography:

Joan Baldó (born in Alicante, Spain, 1979) was a football player formed in La Masia, FC Barcelona's academy, but he did not reach the professional level as a consequence of a serious knee injury. He had to leave the club and went back to his hometown where he played for Alicante CF in Tercera División and later for Alcoyano in Segunda División B. His knee problems forced him to retire being 26.

After retirement, Joan Baldo completed his formation as football manager and joined FC Barcelona again in 2009. In the club, he was a coach of different junior teams during several seasons. In the year 2012, after Pep Guardiola's departure, Tito Vilanova was appointed as FC Barcelona manager and Joan Baldó was promoted to be one of the assistant coaches of the first team. As a consequence of Tito Vilanova's death, Joan Baldó left his duties in the first team and was appointed as main sport manager for at FC Barcelona's youth system.

In July 2016, Joan Baldó was appointed Real Zaragoza manager in the Spanish Segunda División.

Press conference:

Q: Which are your first thoughts as Zaragoza coach? Which are your expectations?

JB: First of all, I’d like to thank President Lapetra and Mr. Julià for giving me the chance to be the manager of this fantastic club. Independently of the current situation with the club in Segunda División, Real Zaragoza have won 6 Copa del Rey titles and 2 European trophies. The history of the club show our potential and will be our inspiration. The badge on our chest represents the city and the region of Aragón, so it is a responsibility I’m willing to assume.

Q: This is your first job in professional football. Do you think you’re ready for it?

JB: If I wouldn’t feel ready, I wouldn’t have accepted. Of course, experience is a plus, but so are illusion and hard work and there are lots of examples of coaches who were successful since the first moment. Football belong to players and my main task is to help them and give them the tools and the inspiration to reach the goals.

Q: The economic position of the club is weak and, after 3 years in Segunda División, the fans feel angry and disappointed, so promotion looks as a necessity in every aspect for the club. Do you think you’ll be able to reach promotion?

JB: I don’t like to make empty promises since it’s useless. The only thing I can promise is that I’ll work hard for it and I am sure that this group of players will do it too. Howevery, there’s a thin line between failure and success and there’re lots of factors involved... This is not like Primera División with three or four teams fighting for the title. Segunda División is balanced and almost every club have a chance on paper. It’s a challenge for us. As I said before, our badge and our history is a plus, but it’s also a responsibility. Let’s be humble and work day by day. I don’t promise anything, but I fully believe in our chances.

Q: Which is the style of football you want to show in Zaragoza?

I believe in possession and attacking football. We owe respect to the ticket holders and fans in general, so want to give them a nice show. I want them to see their team attacking. Of course, we'll have to adapt to our players and the division, but I believe we can do it.
  • subpop
    gnomhlh.png

Real Zaragoza will prepare the new season in England, where they'll play the European International Cup with other 8 European clubs.

Zaragoza will play in Group A with Southend Utd. (ENG), Stromgodset IF (NOR) and Wigan Athletic (ENG). In Group B, the teams are Amkar Perm (RUS), Charlton Athletic (ENG), Perugia (ITA) and Gillingham (ENG).

Joan Baldó has declared that "the most important is not the victory, but to prepare a long and difficult season. Let's know each other and set a good base to start from. Of course, the best way to prepare yourself to compete is to fight for the victory and our history force us to go for it. It will be nice to play in the home of football".

The matches in the group stage will be played in Liverpool (Anfield) and Manchester (Old Trafford).
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Good Luck :)
  • subpop
    edited December 2016
    OxL1CCG.png

ZARAGOZA SURVIVE TO THE FIRST HALF TO GRAB THE MATCH IN THE SECOND

Joan Baldó's debut showed lights and shadows. Real Zaragoza had problems in the first half, surprised by the long balls and the high intensity presented by Southend United. "Los Maños" had problems to keep the ball possession and failed to create chances, but survived to the best moments of their rivals.

Everything changed in the second half, when the Spanish team were able to control the match. In the minute 18 of the second half, Juan Muñoz scored the first goal in a nice header after a great run of the veteran Cani in the left wing. Everything was easier for the Spanish team after the goal. Zaragoza kept the possession and showed themselves dangerous in the counter attack, taking advantage from the spaces left in the back of Southend Utd's defensive line. In one of these counter attacks, Dongou scored the last goal, which closed the match.
    tSdDIJl.png

ZARAGOZA'S HELL DAY: CRUSHED AND INJURED

Definitely everything went wrong from Zaragoza against the Norwegian Stromsgodset. Only 3 minutes after the initial whistle, a 30 mt long shot by Hoiland hit the crossbar to enter in Zaragoza's goal. As it happened in the first match, Zaragoza did not find their place on the pitch at the beginning of the match and everything went even worse when they lost their two full backs injured in after the first half an hour. Baldó had to reorganize the team, who looked unconfortable on the pitch, with the central back Silva as full back and the CDM Wilk as central back.

Half time gave some rest to the Spanish team and Zaragoza were able to draw the match early in the second half. Everything was a mirage though. Only four minutes later Nguen scored the second for the Norwegian team and killed the hopes of Zaragoza. Baldó's team showed more heart than brain on the pitch. Despite showing attitude and intention in attack, their plan looked weak and Tokstad ended up scoring the third goal for the Scandinavians. Stromsgodset never gave an option in a terrible day for Zaragoza.
    pCbUDWQ.png

MUÑOZ LEADS ZARAGOZA TO BEAT WIGAN

With Stromsgodset proving to be the best team of this Group A of the European International Cup, this match between Zaragoza and Wigan was a final for these two teams. Not surprisingly anymore, Zaragoza were unable to control the match at the beginning of the first half. Wigan's domination was evident and they even enjoyed a penalty in the minute 20, missed by Grigg, who kicked it to the crowd of Old Trafford. After this penalty, the match got muddy, without a clear owner.

The second half did not start in a different way, with both teams scared to lose the match. But Zaragoza have found a referent in Juan Muñoz, the talented 20 year old youngster loaned by Sevilla. The Andalusian striker scored his second goal in this tournament, being in the right place in the right moment. From that point, Zaragoza found some calm and controlled the match until the end. Zaragoza advance in 2nd position and will face Gillingham in the semifinals of the tournament.

uDBG3EZ.png
  • subpop
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Good Luck :)

Thank you!
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    My team online in FIFA 11 and 12! Bertolo, Braulio, Zuculini... Postiga... How many memories! <3
    Very nice team choice... Good luck!
  • Wyojasond
    11571 posts Has That Special Something
    Good luck man. Off to a great start already.
  • JoshDFC
    nice start in pre season so far hopefully you can push for promotion in the league
  • Ashy
    9734 posts League Winner
    Good luck pal, good to see you start a story on here, Zaragoza is an interesting one
  • ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    By the way, man... I have a little present for you, straight from an old Real Zaragoza career of mine:

May you score plenty of goals like this (which has been my career's pinnacle) and even better ones! Consider this as my personal "Good Luck" wish, even if it's a little "strange"... :smiley:
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Good luck. Nice opening posts and a good pre-season to start off. Would be nice to win the whole thing but not important.
  • subpop
    ale85bg wrote: »
    My team online in FIFA 11 and 12! Bertolo, Braulio, Zuculini... Postiga... How many memories! <3
    Very nice team choice... Good luck!

I think that the level of the team dropped a bit in all these years... but it's an important club in Spain. Sad to see them in this situation now. I think that my choice was based on it... I want to see them up again.
    Good luck man. Off to a great start already.

Ashy wrote: »
    Good luck pal, good to see you start a story on here, Zaragoza is an interesting one

Thank you!!
    By the way, man... I have a little present for you, straight from an old Real Zaragoza career of mine:

May you score plenty of goals like this (which has been my career's pinnacle) and even better ones! Consider this as my personal "Good Luck" wish, even if it's a little "strange"... :smiley:

Definitely a nice present!!! I'm also planning to add some videos... highlights mainly. BTW, very nice goal.
    Good luck. Nice opening posts and a good pre-season to start off. Would be nice to win the whole thing but not important.

Thank you! I wish you enjoy the story.
  • subpop
    WIQEb39.png

ZARAGOZA FAIL TO CONVINCE, OUT OF THE EUROPEAN INTERNATIONAL CUP

Zaragoza kept showing shadows in their irregular path in this pre-season. Baldó’s players disappeared on the pitch and they never had a real option to advance to the final. In fact, Zaragoza started to lose the game in the tunnels of Old Trafford, where they got asleep again, a sin they paid since the first minutes of the match and had consequences when McDonald scored the first goal for Gillingham. In fact, Zaragoza never controlled the match and before half time, the English rival scored the second to kill the match.

The second half was a powerless demonstration by Zaragoza. No one can deny their attacking attitude, but heart is not enough. Zaragoza kept trying, accumulating people upfront, but unable to create chances at Gillingham’s goal. The English club only had to keep order to advance to the final. Bittersweet sensations for Zaragoza in this pre-season, mixing moments of good football with unforgivable lack of concentration errors.
  • subpop
    bD0h31Q.jpg
  • ale85bg
    D'oh!
    Well, it's preseason after all... All important is being ready when the first matches of the season call! :)
  • subpop
    tag9gHh.png
  • JoshDFC
    disappointing to lose to Gillingham but it's only Pre Season I'm sure you'll improve as the season starts :)
  • DiffidatiRoma
    39 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I think Zaragoza could be a good career with good emotions for go faraway. Pre season isn't real football, we expect the first match of La Liga for say something.
  • subpop
    D'oh!
    Well, it's preseason after all... All important is being ready when the first matches of the season call! :)

Yes... and there are matches every 3 days. There's a big gap between first team and reserves.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    disappointing to lose to Gillingham but it's only Pre Season I'm sure you'll improve as the season starts :)

Definitely... rotations killed me, I believe. I never had an option
    I think Zaragoza could be a good career with good emotions for go faraway. Pre season isn't real football, we expect the first match of La Liga for say something.

Thank you!
  • subpop
    vkatx2W.png
    Jocanas.png
  • subpop
    edited December 2016
    184ayMP.png
    qAfCGqz.png

Real Zaragoza have good reasons to feel they lost two points in Alcorcón, even though the result is probably fair. As it has been usual in pre-season, Zaragoza felt uncomfortable on the pitch in the first minutes of the game, totally dominated by Alcorcón, who were able to take the lead soon in the match. David Navarro's goal, a nice header after a corner kick, was soon responded by Juan Muñoz, who equalized the score. From that moment, Zaragoza took the ball possession and went for the match, enjoying their best minutes of the game.

Nothing changed much in the second half. As a consequence of it, Zapater gave Zaragoza the lead, which was a fair result at that moment. But "Los Maños" got conservative and Alcorcón grew in the game and started to enjoy chances. Baldó made a defensive move, removing Ros and Zapater in midfield and the defensive mid Wilk and the youngster Barrera went in. These changes didn't change the game and Rodriguez, again in a beautiful header, tied the match. Ángel still had the chance to surprise Alcorcón in the injury time, but the final 2-2 didn't change... and it was fair.

oCAxt5f.png

• Greenman019
    Looked like an exciting game, shame about the late equaliser. Decent start though. Really like the image showing the locations of all the clubs btw as well, good job.
  • ale85bg
    I didn't know Navarro played for Alcorcon! I had him at Levante in FIFA World (yeah, I played seasons with Levante :joy: )... Too bad conceding so early and then so late in the match, but you could do wonders if you fix these little moments in which you just don't seem on the pitch. Keep it up!
  • Ashy
    9734 posts League Winner
    Detailed match stats is always nice to see the game breakdown, 4 goals in the first game between both sides but a point away to kick it all off will do, hoping for a win next!
  • subpop
    EQ72cgX.png
    5XGrx9y.png

Zaragoza was saved by the bell in another disappointing afternoon. As it's getting usual, Zaragoza got surprised by the early goal of the rival. Pombo, found a space between the Zaragoza central backs to kick the ball in the upper right corner of Ratón's goal. Once more, "Los Maños" were down in the scoreboard and had to fight back. Girona sat back and Zaragoza was powerless to overcome the result in the first half.

In the second half, Baldó's team went into the pitch in attacking attitude and they found a penalty kick in their favour in the first minutes after half time. Lanzarote tied the game and forecasted a tough second half for their rivals. After this goal, Girona reacted and the match got open. Without a clear owner on the pitch, the game opened a new phase and both teams enjoyed chances, but Pombo, the man of the match, gave Girona the lead once again. Zaragoza looked powerless in attack, but Baldó introduced changes on midfield and attack, looking for oxygen. The late reaction allowed Wilk to tie the game when things were getting dark and the home team even enjoyed chances to win the match in the last minutes. Zaragoza was saved by the bell to grab one point in another bad day.
    N61stfZ.png

ZpBoh96.png
  • subpop
    Looked like an exciting game, shame about the late equaliser. Decent start though. Really like the image showing the locations of all the clubs btw as well, good job.

I'm glad you liked it. I think it was a good idea to understand some rivalries and where the teams are.
    I didn't know Navarro played for Alcorcon! I had him at Levante in FIFA World (yeah, I played seasons with Levante :joy: )... Too bad conceding so early and then so late in the match, but you could do wonders if you fix these little moments in which you just don't seem on the pitch. Keep it up!

I didn't know either... I even laughed about it before the game... and bam! in my face...
    Ashy wrote: »
    Detailed match stats is always nice to see the game breakdown, 4 goals in the first game between both sides but a point away to kick it all off will do, hoping for a win next!

Too bad it wasn't possible... I can't control the matches in some moments. I should have won the first match... but I should have lost the second... well, 2 points so far. I need to find solutions.
  • ale85bg
    Not in the best possible position but hey, sometimes you get unlucky and draw a match you should've won, and sometimes you have luck on your side and manage to get a draw from a match you should've lost.
    Time to start climbing that table now! :D
  • Greenman019
    Pretty much the opposite of the other match, much better point when it's you doing the late equalising. Not a bad nor a great start, solid results to build on though.
  • Wyojasond
    11571 posts Has That Special Something
    Trying to get caught up. Like the looks of everything. Look forward to the rest of the season.
  • subpop
    jaVGReo.png
    J1ZeXoB.png
    9fwAJ9Y.png