OT: Network Comparison - Xbox Live & Virgin Media

S P 4 C E Y
2538 posts Fans' Favourite
I couldn't play for peanuts this weekend. Couldn't pass the ball, couldn't dribble, couldn't shoot. How I won 2 games in the WL is absolutely beyond me.

Changed my team, went and played a D2 game and got beat 5-0 by an extremely average player.

Just changed to a wired connection and my latency is at 159 ms to the XBL servers.

What is everyone else experiencing? a latency above 100 is unacceptable. At ~160 there just isn't any point.

I'm based in Glasgow with 150mb Virgin fibre (not that download speed = latency I know).

Wonder what the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ is going on and whether anyone else is experiencing anything similar?

Comments

• OoSUPERDANoO
    15013 posts Moderator
    Latency means nothing when you test like that. It pings the EA servers in Canada so it's bound to be high.

Imo, it's the servers, not your connection.
  • S P 4 C E Y
    Latency means nothing when you test like that. It pings the EA servers in Canada so it's bound to be high.

Yeah I knew the servers were in Seattle, but I heard that they were opening new ones in the UK. The game is quite frankly unplayable for me at the moment.
  • OoSUPERDANoO
    15013 posts Moderator

Yeah I knew the servers were in Seattle, but I heard that they were opening new ones in the UK. The game is quite frankly unplayable for me at the moment.

Yeah the weekends are the worse.

It's on and off for me tbh, it goes between really smooth and totally useless! When the connection is bad, the weirdest things happen. Rebounds, can't pass, can't tackle... the usual.
  • NornIron
    15480 posts World Class
    I couldn't play for peanuts this weekend. Couldn't pass the ball, couldn't dribble, couldn't shoot. How I won 2 games in the WL is absolutely beyond me.

Changed my team, went and played a D2 game and got beat 5-0 by an extremely average player.

Just changed to a wired connection and my latency is at 159 ms to the XBL servers.

What is everyone else experiencing? a latency above 100 is unacceptable. At ~160 there just isn't any point.

I'm based in Glasgow with 150mb Virgin fibre (not that download speed = latency I know).

Wonder what the **** is going on and whether anyone else is experiencing anything similar?

I think most of the UK is at that i know mine is.
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17270 posts World Class
    Yeah the latency on XBL is terrible because it pings to America, you'll get a better idea if you just test on your PC/play other games on your Xbox and see if its very high

If it's only 160 to the US server that's probably not the problem
  • S P 4 C E Y
    speedtest.net local servers are fine. It's the EA servers that are junk
  • speedtest.net local servers are fine. It's the EA servers that are junk

Quite normal if you ping an US server while speedtest pings one 10km away :D
  • S P 4 C E Y
    Orison wrote: »
    speedtest.net local servers are fine. It's the EA servers that are junk

Quite normal if you ping an US server while speedtest pings one 10km away :D

Clearly. Point being that my connection to my local exchange is fine.
  • NornIron
    15480 posts World Class
    Its the EA servers but I'm not sure why it works for some tonight is a joke on both the weekend league and season's half the time in not even in control of my players they're sliding everywhere. The longer the match goes the worst it gets.