Should Cavani have been booked tonight?

Comments

• mjs4p
    11092 posts Has That Special Something
    Not voting either way, can 100% understand why he celebrated the way he did, and I can 100% understand why ppl say he shouldn't have been booked, I can also understand the Ref doing his job and booking as is the rule

Don't really think there's a wrong answer here

This
  • Tom
    11377 posts Has That Special Something
    Yes, rules are rules
    Whilst common sense should have prevailed, I feel the referee was in the right, as rules are indeed rules. We've seen other games where players have run over to the bench and displayed a spare shirt with a message, or a banner/flag with something similar. Cavani/PSG must have known the consequences of removal of shirt - how did he react to the card? Was he shocked or just got on with it?

Yellow card will be overturned anyhow I imagine.
  • Antparry92
    17943 posts World Class
    What's clear is that most are in agreement that it's a shocking rule to have in the first place. All because FIFA wanted sponsorship stakeholders to be happy every time a player scored their sponsor would be shown and not a bare chest/tshirt underneath. As far as I'm aware people have been booked for just pulling their shirt up as well
  • Uberman
    15736 posts World Class
    No, the ref needs to show some common sense
    I wouldn't have booked him

Did the referee even see what was on the shirt? - I didn't see the match - Or did he just see that his shirt was taken off and book him without thinking? - That could be what happened also
  • Izzy2K17
    11698 posts Has That Special Something
    Yes, rules are rules
    I mean rules are rules, can't make exemptions
  • Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    Yes, rules are rules
    Referees don't have the authority to change rules.
  • Antparry92
    17943 posts World Class
    Unbelievably close
  • UpstartCaesar
    3172 posts National Call-Up
    Yes, rules are rules
    Rule shouldn't exist but it does
  • LFC Simon 98
    17838 posts World Class
    Yes, rules are rules
    It's a dumb rule which I don't agree with but understand it's enforced by police in many places instead of the footballing bodies. But, it's a rule, if the ref doesn't book him then he's not doing his job. And if he doesn't then where do you draw the line? If a player reveals a shirt about a berived loved one for example and receives a booking no one contests it but that probably meant a lot more personally to him that this did to Cavani so if the ref doesn't book him then it opens a can of worms
  • Richard
    11469 posts Has That Special Something
    edited December 2016
    Same happened in Holland yesterday, brazilian guy scores (he knew two people from the crash apperantely), takes shirt off with undershirt from Chapecoense etc.

Referee didn't gave a yellow card. Nice gesture.
  • tauras
    3796 posts National Call-Up
    Up to the ref on the day if he goes by the rules he books him has abit of sympathy for the situation he doesn't. every ref would treat it differently my guess more would book him tho.
  • RadioShaq
    15214 posts Moderator
    I would guess its so they don't have to decide where to draw the line. People will take their shirt off for all kinds of reasons and use this as an example of why they should be allowed.
  • Andybelfast
    10957 posts Has That Special Something
    Referee wanting the headlines
  • Gaarl
    3650 posts National Call-Up
    He could of just simply lifted his shirt up to show the shirt underneath. No need to take his shirt off.
  • Antparry92
    17943 posts World Class
    Gaarl wrote: »
    He could of just simply lifted his shirt up to show the shirt underneath. No need to take his shirt off.
    Still a booking according to the law
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26043 posts Player of the Year
    Willian was smart about his tribute yesterday, shouldn't have to be that way though.