Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Wyojasond
    11553 posts Has That Special Something
    Sigi already looking to the youngster :#
  • Chris
    5400 posts Big Money Move
    A deflating loss right there, hopefully it doesn't start a string of bad results
  • JamieC
    803 posts Semi-Pro
    #BelieveInKK
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Sigi already looking to the youngster :#
    JamieC wrote: »
    #BelieveInKK
    Both of them are great keepers. KK is way past his prime but has his experience on his side... Frei is younger and could actually become even better than old Kasey. Let's see what happens!
    Chris wrote: »
    A deflating loss right there, hopefully it doesn't start a string of bad results
    Hopefully it won't... Let's find it out!

5wIVKKZ.png

I don't know why, but I believe I'll hardly play from now on.
    The match against New England Revolution has just ended and Stefan Frei didn't only make his debut with a shutout, he didn't only save a penalty... He saved two of them. Both from Feilhaber (or, most likely, Failhaber from now on).

I'm not the one who likes suffering on the bench, especially since it was also snowing tonight... But boy, seeing Stefan play made me happy. He has everything it takes to take over from me should I decide to quit, and sooner or later it's going to happen. I'm almost 42 after all.

Not that their keeper Reis made our evening easy, as he pulled a great save against Estrada shortly after the beginning of the match:
    i8JUUoj.png
    There's been only us for the first half, but the ball just didn't want to go in. Reis saved another attempt by Alonso, who recovered just in time for the match and who was wearing the captain armband as both Fredy and I were out.
    Then Fucito fired a shot over the bar from good position, and when the first half was almost over it happened: Schilawski went on a run, Parke challenged him slightly pulling his shirt, and Schilawski immediately went down like he'd been shot.
    Penalty. Totally undeserved, but it's not me deciding.
    As you already know, Feilhaber stepped to the spot and Frei saved it with a great dive on his left.

Second half, and it happened again, straight away. Frenandez was through, Scott tackled him from behind in a desperate attempt to stop him:
    CAs9nyu.png
    Yellow card, penalty, and Frei saved it again. I couldn't believe it, neither could Sigi who made a jump on the bench screaming in joy.

But a draw could also not be enough, and the ball still wasn't feeling like going in.
    We had to wait until minute 76, and even then it's been a pain: from a corner, Parke controlled the ball and fired a powerful low shot towards the goal, but a defender deflected it. This time, though, it wasn't enough: the ball, although deflected, rolled into the net. 1-0 to the Sounders!
    They crumbled under such a heavy goal, and almost stopped playing: shortly after we also scored the second, with a wonderful volley by Fucito that Reis couldn't reach.

2-0 was the final result, Frei won the MotM award at his first appearance ever for the Sounders, saving two penalties in the process. His signing was fated, really. I foresee him being the Sounders' keeper for many years, and I believe I have at least a little experience in goalkeeping: I can tell apart a good keeper from an average one, and Stefan is surely more than a 'good keeper'.
  • Ashy
    9727 posts League Winner
    Oh man bad news for Kasey but good news for the club to the new signing for him to come on and save 2 pens on his debut and get a clean sheet along with MOTM. It's looking you might need to find a new club or prove yourself when given the chance again!
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great win for the club but bad news for Kasey. :[

What will he do
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    The new man Frei stepping up nicely. Good win. Looks like KK is nearing the end but I'm sure he will get to play in the cup final. Maybe he's going to retire and start coaching?
  • ale85bg
    What will he do
    Ashy wrote: »
    It's looking you might need to find a new club or prove yourself when given the chance again!
    Hardly anyone would want to sign a 42-years-old keeper, even if it's a former legend like Keller! :joy:
    I think the latter would be the only available option should Keller decide to play another season. Otherwise...
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Maybe he's going to retire and start coaching?
    That's another option. The season is almost over, we should find out soon.

Meanwhile, there is a question that all Sounders' fans have been asking themselves, and apparently also ESPN FC did so:
    81NVkqm.png
  • Wyojasond
    What a debut. Great for the team but KK certainly sees the writing on the wall. Hopefully he can come back and play the cup final though. I think he's earned that.
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    id13FCM.png

Ladies and gentlemen from all over the world, welcome to this live coverage of the 2011 Lamar Hunt Open Cup final between Sporting Kansas City who don't win the cup since 2004 and the defending champions, the Seattle Sounders who are trying to win their third Open Cup in a row, with Keller playing in goal. The Livestrong Sporting Park is sold out tonight, and you can clearly hear the fans roaring already.

4cQzuWe.png

We're ready to give you the official starting lineups:

SPORTING KC: Nielsen in goal; Beltran, Besler, Cyrus and Sinovic are the back four; Zusi, Jéferson and Arnaud in the midfield; Kamara and Bravo are the wingers, Sapong the striker.
    SEATTLE SOUNDERS: Captain Keller starts in goal; Parke and Hortado centre backs, Riley and Wahl on the sides; Alonso and Evans are the central midfielders, Rosales on the right with Pappa on the left; Levesque and Fucito upfront.

Everything is ready, the referee Scott McBeanie finally blows the final whistle. It's underway!

7': CHANCE FOR KC! Kamara finds Sapong all alone in the box, between Hurtado and Parke. The shot is saved by Keller with a miraculous deflection.

16': CHANCE FOR SEATTLE! Pappa plays a great ball to Wahl who's on an overlapping run on the left: his cross is deflected by Fucito towards the goal, but the ball ends wide.

24': GOOOOOOAL!!! The Sounders score! Another cross from the left, this time by Pappa: Cyrus clears it with a header but Rosales outjumps Jéferson and puts it again in the box. Fucito chests it down and fires it home along the ground on the far post! 1-0 to the Sounders!

39': Substitution for Seattle. While running, Pappa goes down in pain holding his leg and cannot keep playing. Fernández enters the pitch for him. Hopefully it's nothing major, but Pappa was in tears.

45': HALF TIME. The Sounders are ahead 1-0 after playing a more convincing match.

52': PENALTY! Bravo enters the box from the left, Riley brings him down. McBeanie has no doubt and runs to the spot. The complaints of Keller and teammates are useless: not a stonewall penalty, but probably the right decision.

54': GOOOOOOAL!!! Bravo steps to the spot, begins the run up and scores the penalty. Nothing to do for Keller! It's the equalizer! 1-1!

58': Spoting KC are now in control, a cross by Bravo is deflected out for a corner by Parke.

65': Substitution for Seattle. Evans leaves the pitch limping, Friberg comes on the pitch instead.

75': Another injury for Seattle, this match looks like cursed for Schmid's midfielders. This time it's Rosales being subbed off. Neagle comes in.

90': FULL TIME. After a period in which none of the teams has been dangerous enough, the referee blows the final whistle. We're going to extra time!

95': POST! Levesque enters the ball from the left, plays a short ball to Fernández who fires a first-time shot from just outside the box, The ball hits the post and goes back into play.

104': ANOTHER POST! This time it's Friberg who tries a powerful low shot from outside the box, the ball hits the far post. Alonso collects it but his shot is deflected by a defender. Sigi Schmid's face on the bench is priceless right now.

115': CHANCE FOR KC! A shot by Bravo goes wide by inches. This might aswell be the last chance of the match.

120': IT'S OVER, WE'RE GOING TO PENALTIES!

Sporting KC will begin. It's Bravo on the spot... His shot is SAVED by Kasey Keller!

Alonso on the ball for Seattle... GOAL!

Kamara for Kansas City SCORES his penalty, all squared again.

Mike Fucito got his penalty SAVED by Nielsen! 1-1 after 2 penalties each. What a save, right under the bar!

It's Arnaud for Sporting KC... GOAL!

It's Fernández's turn to step on the spot... And his shot GOES IN!

Fourth penalty for KC: Julio Cesar on the ball, but Keller SAVES!

Roger Levesque has the chance to bring the Sounders ahead... And he does so! GOAL!

Fifth penalty for Sporting KC: If Saad doesn't score, it's over. The ball hits the bar, but then GOES IN.

It's Riley for the Sounders: if he scores, the Sounders are crowned champions.
    All the fans are holding their breath now. Riley starts the run up, hits the ball...
    AND IT'S IN! THE SOUNDERS HAVE WON THE CUP!

Keller and his teammates are raving in the midfield circle, they're absolutely crazy! After the Columbus Crew and DC United, this time it's Sporting KC being defeated as the Sounders win their 3rd back to back Open Cup!
    NlPToDZ.png
    Thank you everyone for following this thrilling match with us on ESPN HD, ww're now seeing the Seattle players rejoice with their fans and lifting Sigi Schmid in triumph... Not exactly an easy task.
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Greenman019
    Need a big save
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Thank you everyone for following this thrilling match with us on ESPN HD, ww're now seeing the Seattle players rejoice with their fans and lifting Sigi Schmid in triumph... Not exactly an easy task.

Ha! No, lifting Sigi would not be an easy task. Fantastic cup win and Keller came up big. It was the right decision by Sigi to play Keller for this match. Have to go with the 10 clean sheets man for the big games. It's Frei who still needs to prove himself. :)
  • Dean
    840 posts Semi-Pro
    Two saves in a shootout, the work of a legend!
  • Wyojasond
    And the old man proves he's still got it. Great cup win. Congrats!
  • ale85bg
    Need a big save
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Fantastic cup win and Keller came up big. It was the right decision by Sigi to play Keller for this match.
    Dean wrote: »
    Two saves in a shootout, the work of a legend!
    And the old man proves he's still got it.
    Thank you everyone on behalf of Kasey Keller... Oh wait, I'll just retweet what he just said! :)
    XvydYzo.png

• Greenman019
    Finished the rest of the post earlier, well played and congrats. Great performance from Keller.
    Might have been his last game with the new signing, not a bad way to end if so.
  • ale85bg
    Finished the rest of the post earlier, well played and congrats. Great performance from Keller.
    Thanks man! I imagined... It took me some time to update that post live indeed! :joy:
    And I forgot to add a very important part to it: the one in which Pappa gets diagnosed with a torn calf muscle and gets to watch the playoffs from the tribune. Evans suffered a sprained ankle and will hopefully be back in time for the concerence final, should we reach it... At least Rosaled doesn't have anything serious!

5wIVKKZ.png

"How much does it take them to score a goal? A single, bloody goal! I'm not asking much, am I?"
    Sigi is impatient and pretty tense today on the bench, and this question he just made me (yes, I'm on the bench today) shows it perfectly.
    We've been ruling this match against the San Jose Earthquakes since the beginning, yet it looks like we can't score, and I am sure it's got something to do with Montero not being available. This could easily become a problem in the playoffs, as Fredy's season is already over unfortunately.
    To be fair with our forwards, though, we should also say that this pouring rain doesn't make things easy for them: even controlling a ball is a difficult task in these conditions.
    Our best occasion so far has been a great volley by Nate Jaqua, from a cross by Neagle, which went out by inches. He surely deserved more luck there:
    YTC9ok3.png
    Their only chance has been a header by Attakora from a corner, which Stefan Frei deflected with little to no difficulty. He's playing very well, I'm really glad we finally found a reliable keeper at last. Not that Terry Boss isn't reliable when he's fit, but he often seems to be either injured or out of form.

We're now halfway through the second half and the result is still 0-0. Levesque and Jaqua are doing their best upfront, but it's not really enough when also the bad luck play against us. Yeah, Levesque just hit the post:
    TPhHqnN.png
    They sub Zura out for Gordon, and suddenly Hell breaks loose: Frei has to perform three saves in 10 minutes, Gordon is on fire apparently, and Sigi doesn't take it well.
    "What the... Ref! Ref! You're going to do a dope test to that guy, right? It's outrageous!"

The fourth official laughs, and we hear Bingham, their backup keeper, answer from the other bench:
    "You talkin' about Frei, aren't you? He must surely be on amphetamine considering those saves!"

Yeah, also Stefan's on fire apparently. But even more than Stefan, it's their keeper: with a handful of minutes to go, it's him who saves the result. With a great rush out, Busch manages to stop Jaqua from shooting when all the stadium was already celebrating:
    w1mMZye.png
    And that's pretty much it. The match ends 0-0, for the happiness (or lack of) of Sigi.

Well, the good news is that apparently also Dallas got only a point. :)
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    Congrats on the cup win and two big saves by Keller in the shoot out. Tough scoreless draw against San Jose bit of a let down after the cup final but better than a loss. Also good to see Frei performing well.
  • Ashy
    9727 posts League Winner
    Congrats on the cup, what a dramatic match going to pens, really happy for you man! As Jason said, not bad for an old man eh :)
  • ale85bg
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Congrats on the cup win and two big saves by Keller in the shoot out.
    Congrats on the cup, what a dramatic match going to pens, really happy for you man!
    Thanks guys! It's been a great moment honestly... Sporting KC deserved to be in the match until the end and even if we could (should?) have won it earlier (after all we hit two posts in the extra time), it's been a very good match.

5wIVKKZ.png

It's a road match the last match of the season. Being 3rd 3 points ahead of Dallas means that we just need a draw against Chivas USA to be sure of the third place should Dallas win against the Earthquakes.

Sigi is giving us the last directions for the match, then we're ready to go. Stefan Frei asks a couple of things to Sigi, as he'll be the one playing today. I'll follow Sigi to the bench: after the Toronto match my shoulder hasn't been fully right anymore so it's not a bad thing if I manage to get some rest from time to time.

The match starts well for us, with Fucito looking in form. But it's Jaqua having the first chance of the match. A cross from the right by Rosales finds him in a good position to try a volley, but a last ditch aerial deflection by Pearce takes the ball away before Nate could kick it:
    VSZZy4T.png
    We don't give up and it's Fucito who gets himself some space for the shot at minute 30: his controlled shot hits the post, comes back in play with Jaqua firing the ball straight into row Z with the goalmouth being completely clear.

The second half sees Mondaini come in for Gavin and immediately dispose of González with ease. His cross travels across the box and almost reaches Flores, but Parke decides to try and reach the ball before the Chivas USA forward. The ball hit by Parke is heading towards the goal, but Frei is indeed ready and deflects it out for a corner:
    KRjfDFD.png
    That will remain the last chance of the match for either team. Dallas are losing against San Jose, so there's no danger. We play a little keepball just to be sure, and when the referee blows the final whistle everyone goes congratulating to Stefan Frei: three clean sheets in his first three matches with the Sounders.

That's pretty impressive. Guess who did the same in 2009 though? ;)
  • Greenman019
    Good start for the new keeper and two decent results. 3rd place secured then?

Still a shame to see KK play less and less of a part :(
  • Wyojasond
    Sadly the writing might be on the wall for ol' Kasey. Hopefully he's given a chance to take a managers position.
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think Sigi is saving Keller for the playoffs while at the same time prepping Frei to take over for next season. Too bad the Sounders didn't beat Chivas, but I guess they didn't need to with the Dallas loss. With some of the injuries, I'm a little concerned about Seattle's ability to score once the playoffs begin.
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    3rd place secured then?
    Yes... And we'll be facing Real Salt Lake first at home and then away.

Virtual_K wrote: »
    With some of the injuries, I'm a little concerned about Seattle's ability to score once the playoffs begin.
    We'll have to make do with what we have unfortunately.
    Evans out (hopefully he'll recover in time for the next round if we advance), Pappa out for the rest of the season, Montero out thanks to that Borchers tackle... And we face RSL again. It's gonna be a hot match even if the forecasts say 'snow'.

Sadly the writing might be on the wall for ol' Kasey.
    I think so... Unfortunately, I think so...

This has been the last training session before the playoffs begin, and I've struggled completing my training because of the usual pain in the shoulder. That's why I'm heading to Sigi's office now. And I don't like what I hear when I get there. Sigi is shouting, and I still have to know who he's shouting at.

"I don't give a damn about what you believe you're owed, understood? Guess who's the manager? It's not you James, it's me! If I decide that you're benched, you're benched! No question!"

It's James Riley, then. Lately Scott has been playing more than him, and this didn't make Riley happy.
    "Why don't you understand? I could be a starter in almost every MLS team! If I'm not a starter here, I'll have to look elsewhere: either you play me against RSL, or I demand you to put me on the transfer list in January. This conversation ends here".

Riley storms out of the office slamming the door, leaving Sigi stunned in disbelief.

It takes him a couple of seconds to recover, then he asks me to enter the office.
    "Did you hear him, KK? What the..."

"I don't know Sigi, Pappa has been talking to me about the same thing before getting injured. He would've liked more playing time. I believe it's normal. Indeed it's me the one who is asking you to have less playing time instead".

"Errr... What?"

"I'd like you to play Stefan in the playoffs, really. And I made up my mind: after the playoffs I won't play anymore. My shoulder hurts day in, day out and I'm too old to kill myself with physio trying to get it back right".

"I'm afraid you'll have to play the first leg. Stefan catched a flu, I don't want him to play in these conditions. I know it's difficult for you, I've seen you struggle in training lately... But consider the bright side of it: you'll have the chance to say goodbye to our fans with one last home match!"

Sigi always knows how to solve these difficult situations apparently. And I won't be surprised to see Riley on a plane as soon as the playoffs end.
  • Ashy
    9727 posts League Winner
    Yeah it's all but over for Kasey it seems sorry to hear that it's been a good run, go out with a bang!
  • ale85bg
    edited November 2016
    5wIVKKZ.png

News travel fast apparently... Just this morning I announced that this would be my last match at the Qwest Field (at least as a player), and not only my Twitter and Facebook accounts have been invaded, but the ECS made me a special 'Captain America' celebration with a quote from a Dolores O'Riordan song on top.
    Too bad there's a lot of fog, so it can barely be seen from the opposite goal:
    qmz4dZD.png
    The fog slowly turns into snow when we're like two minutes into play: Sigi asked us to start with a bang, and that's what we do despite the very bad weather conditions. Minute 10, Fucito frees himself for the shot, Nick Rimando ansers with a wonder save. It's only a corner unfortunately:
    c81bBeA.png
    We don't give up and try pushing on the throttle, but this comes at an expense: we are open to their counter attacks, and at minute 25 one of them proves almost lethal. It's Zach Scott who has to sacrifice himself and receive a red card, in order for the Sounders to survive:
    PjfV6dL.png
    One man down, with more than an hour to go. Sigi brings Estrada out for Riley, not after having argued with the back-up right back. Unfortunately, this move not only doesn't stop them from bullying our defence, but also hinders our chances of scoring. Fucito is left all alone upfront and does what he can, while on the other side they show no mercy and at minute 35, as soon as he's given the chance, Le Toux scores. 1-0 to Real Salt Lake.

We react with fierceness though, and at the beginning of the second half Fucito scores the equalizer.
    From there on, we get to witness a one-man show. Minute 65: Le Toux tries a volley from a cross by Saborio, I manage to deflect it out for a corner somehow. Not a brilliant save for the ones looking at the aesthetics but who cares, it didn't go in and that's all important. Minute 78, Le Toux goes down after colliding with Hurtado, the referee has no doubt: penalty.
    He steps on the spot himself, and his penalty is absolutely perfect: top corner, unreachable for almost every keeper. 2-1 to Real Salt Lake.
    Shortly after it's Pat Ianni to get a booking, when he forgets he's playing football and tries a basketball move instead:
    EIaYAHh.png
    From the subsequent free kick, Williams kicks the ball in the box and Le Toux scores again with a header. 3-1 to Real Salt Lake, it's a hat trick for him.
    What should have been a 'retirement party', has suddenly turned into a nightmare for me.

The last 10 minutes are exhausting: we're all clobbered in our box, and the only thing we can do is spam long balls to Fucito, to no avail. We don't score anymore, neither do they. The final result is 3-1 and now we really need a miracle in Salt Lake to advance.
    go out with a bang!
    'Bang bang, they shot us down' more likely... Le Toux's shots could be clearly heard tonight in Seattle... He didn't even show a little mercy to his former team, to his former captain... :unamused:
    Surely not the retirement party I would've liked! :joy:

Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Greenman019
    3-1 is a pretty bad way to go out.

Guess retirement will have to wait for another season ^^
  • ale85bg
    Unfortunately I can already say that it's not so.
    This is a manager career unfortunately, and Keller doesn't even want to enter the talks to extend the contract. :( I just have to deal with it, and that's why I already bought Frei...
  • Greenman019
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can already say that it's not so.
    This is a manager career unfortunately, and Keller doesn't even want to enter the talks to extend the contract. :( I just have to deal with it, and that's why I already bought Frei...

Ye knew it was unlikely. Shame it had to end there for him.

Maybe he'll have a better time coaching :)
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    As I was reading this, I thought: "What a crappy way for Keller to end his career." Then I got to the end and realized this wasn't the knockout round, so the Sounders have an outside chance to make Keller the subject of a Hollywood comeback story. Three away goals is a tough hurdle to jump, but a 3-0 win at Rio Tinto (or whatever it's called in 2011) is not impossible. We believe! :)