The Anime Thread

Comments

• I have seen Steins;Gate, what a phenomenal show.
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2015
    KVA wrote: »
    Yo so I'm out of shows I'm watching and wanna watch a decent anime. Most of my experience is in the cyberpunk or action or space western area so maybe something that's easy and on earth and just kinda light? Sara? Mike? Like Clannad, but not sad as hell?
    @Kieran can back me on these. He's not exactly the biggest anime watcher, so these are really accessible.

Things Mike missed on:
    Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - shoujo/romance/comedy/parody
    Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - drama/romance/comedy/school
    Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. - school/romance/comedy
    Ookami to Koushinryou - historical/romance/drama
    Aria the Animation/Natural/Origination - sci-fi/slice of life

First one is really cute and funny. It is like candy: easy to take, but nothing that will change your perspectives on anime. It makes fun of all the romance tropes that people love.

Sakurasou is more of a coming of age anime. It is a lot about finding yourself, but it nonetheless handles itself really well and has happy to go with the sads. It isn't super mature, so it isn't that heavy, but it has a nice balance. It is a really easy watch, though maybe a touch heavy on physical humour.

Yahari Ore no... Oregairu from now on is a romcom taken through darker tinted lenses. Cute, funny, and cynical. Well worth a watch. The second season is airing right now, so this is one to jump on now.

Ookami to Koushinryou or Spice and Wolf has probably one of the most interesting blends of history and drama. The romance is arguably one of the best in anime, treated delicately and maturely. It touches on economics, but is really accessible for the average viewer, yet can still be interesting in that way. "I learned more about economics in Spice and Wolf than IB HL Economics" - My HS friend.

Aria, @Jatz will tell you how great it is. It is my favourite franchise and the second season is my joint favourite season of anime. The first season is slow, introducing the world and characters, but it quickly takes off from there, delving into themes of serendipity and finding the best in the world. It is a relaxing show and you'll be able to find an episode or a character that you can own. Don't let the premise or gentle episodes fool you, there's a lot behind the title and it is perspective changing.

Anyways, I can fish a few more titles, such as White Album 2 (heavier) or Ping Pong (symbol heavy sports narrative), out, but these are a good start, @KVA .
  • Low Ki
    11122 posts Has That Special Something
    I have seen Steins;Gate, what a phenomenal show.

You have good taste. Robotics;Notes takes place in the same universe and even features Mr Braun's kid all grown up.

Daru also makes a stealth cameo my writing a firmware with one of his absurd version numbers.
  • Wow thanks Saz. I...don't know where to start. Must be like 20 shows listed between 3-4 of you. I am overwhelmed!
  • Kaede
    Wow haha that's a lot, don't know where to start. Thanks
    I edited it with links. Feel free to ask for more explanation about any given title, I really don't mind.

You should also check out 5 Centimeters Per Second. I'm 95% sure that you are the kind of person that might enjoy an empty, pensive or reflective anime.
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    I always forget about Sakurasou, but it is really good.

I mentioned Free! before, if you can handle some less than inconspicuous fan service for the female audience it's a nice coming of age story about a group of friends and competitive swimming. The races barely encompass any of the show but are enjoyable nonetheless. And it's sequel Eternal Summer has less of the fan service and more of the character development.
  • What do you mean by that? Serial Experiments Lain is one of my favorites.

I need to write these down and watch a few before you guys put more on me.

Grateful, thanks again xoxo
  • Kaede
    edited April 2015
    And if you really want @KVA , this is a list of all the anime I've completed (with a short blurb explaining what was good/bad about the shows). It might help you ballpark how much I enjoyed these shows against the names I've/we've all put forth.

My rating scale is below, but basically anything above a six is enjoyable. Seven is where things get to be strongly recommended, before it floats into higher territory. I rate really hard against the MAL scale, so generally you're pretty safe with the numbers there, but obviously it is just my opinion.
    9+: Exceptional
    8: Very good (this is very enjoyable and may include some favourites)
    7: Good (has some standout characteristics, even if it doesn't reach higher)
    6: Above average (has faults in it that hold it back from being good, for example writing or pacing)
    5: Average (meets expectations for watching, i.e. very standard show)
    4: Below average (bad watchable - may have *head in hands* inducing qualities and lead to blindness)
    3: Bad (results in adverse feelings and would not recommend to anyone, I may have even dropped the show)
    2: Very bad (even worse)
    1: No words needed (the worst)
  • bear
    I'll make the choice easy for you
    NWIldRN.jpg

*drops the mic*
  • Kaede
    edited April 2015
    What do you mean by that?
    If you meant the part about 5 Centimeters Per Second, then I meant that it will be 'boring' to many, but there's actually a sort of artistic side to the emptiness. Because it is so empty and slow, you can focus more heavily on empathizing with the characters. It isn't really about the story, so much as it is about you and the characters and placing yourself in their shoes and watching their growth. It is something to relate to, in an introspective way.

I'm probably butchering what I want to say, so here's a really well-written and spoilers free review of it:
    A young love, intervened by time and distance’s unyielding divide; a young boy, caught in the capricious waves of life’s perpetual tempest.

A quick glance reveals that 5 Centimeters Per Second is absolutely gorgeous; yet, its beauty, akin to Shinkai’s other projects, carries a deeper value which transcends its aesthetic plane, reverberating deep within one’s emotions once it strikes the right chord. By no means does Makoto Shinkai attempt to transform the genre; yet, he perfectly encapsulates our pressing emotions by capitalizing upon everyday occurrences, blending them into resonant metaphors. Takaki Tohno, the protagonist, seems like a projection of many personal, unspeakable thoughts and feelings. His story is told rather slowly but ever so subtly; character development feels appropriately gradual, opting for piece-by-piece transitions rather than abrupt revelations.

5 Centimeters Per Second tells a heartrending tale of youthful romance; as Tohno and his childhood friend, Akari, mend the gaps between their distances through letters, they long to once again bask in one another’s physical presence. Enveloped by its serene atmosphere, we are thrust vicariously into our protagonist’s mind, as his poetic, sharply-written monologues lay bare his nebulous thoughts against a blank sheet. As we follow along, we bear witness to Tohno’s progressive journey, presented in three stages: of childhood, adolescence, and adulthood.

The movie initiates by revealing the source of its title: at 5 centimeters per second – the speed at which cherry blossoms, like intertwined lives, traverse their ephemeral paths. They drift in the same direction, yet do so in a volatile manner which may cause them to gradually scatter. As with this, transitory bonds are a recurring theme; character relationships feel ever so delicate, like a transparent thread quivering between two fatal ends. As with the seasons, our lives, and by extension, our relationships, are ever changing; cyclical, yet erratic. Swinging within life’s continuous flux, we may find our thoughts adamantly strapped to the past, overtly distancing ourselves but covertly coming back, swaying like a ball on a string, hoping, wondering. With our characters, these subtle feelings are given form; the emotional resonance triggered by this movie is absolutely incredible, as it portrays its romance maturely with a presentation very much grounded in reality. Alongside Tohno, we are also treated to first-person perspectives through the eyes of our two other main characters, and it soon becomes clear that certain thoughts and feelings are a common denominator among them.

Akari’s screen time is limited to the first and final story arcs, and her name is never spoken in between. Although Tohno himself paints a hazy picture, her presence remains strangely palpable. On the contrary, Tohno’s high-school admirer, Kanae, crosses paths with him frequently, yet feels oddly distanced. As with our protagonist, we may find ourselves caught, clinging onto the things we hold so dearly, and becoming apparent prisoners to the contours of our bittersweet memories as we are swept along nature’s unrelenting tides. As our thoughts are within another time and place, the world, seemingly detached, may simply seem to be blinking in and out of existence. However, moments of light seep in throughout; Tohno’s path seems clouded to be sure, but it is far from hopeless. This movie is much more than a pessimistic story of decline; it is also one of acceptance and growth, of harmonizing and taking control of our present while cherishing the time-transcending fragments constituting us.

This tender story is accentuated by immaculate production values; 5 Centimeters Per Second is undoubtedly the most visually astounding anime I’ve seen, rivaled only by Shinkai’s other Garden of Words. Every drawing is done with unparalleled sharpness and a vibrant colour palette. The environments contain flora and fauna of stunning detail; the landscapes are exquisite, dappled with blooming light; the lightning effects are beautiful, and shadows are rendered meticulously, cast ever sharply in intricate streaks across land, buildings, faces and objects; characters move with impeccable grace, and their facial expressions are a perfect reflection of their transparent emotions. The accompanying soundtrack by Tenmon is equally stunning, opting for simple slow, yet passionate pieces. The piano piece, “End Theme”, remains a definite favourite, infallibly flushing my mind with moving images. The ending vocal piece, “One More Time, One More Chance” by Masayoshi Yamazaki, acts as a cathartic wrap-up, which also serves to narrate what may be our characters’ bottled-up emotions as the movie seeps into its credits. This movie’s visuals and audio, together, emanate a startling sense of alienation and poignancy, and together with its firm grounds in reality, result in an experience which is able to immerse you with a tenacious grasp.

By no means does this movie revolutionize the genre, but I have yet to experience a story of its kind presented so well. However, it’s worth noting that opinions of this movie have been polarized, primarily of its familiar premise, open-ended conclusion, and decline in quality after its first arc. Yet, I found the open-ended finale a perfect fit among the movie’s themes and messages, and while the first arc is indeed my favourite, the following two felt equally polished and relevant. Going in, one should expect a subtle, delicate story of yearning and acceptance; I understand, however, that from detached eyes, it may seem like little more than an inconclusive, slow-paced romantic tale, void of any stimulating make-ups and breakups.

5 Centimeters Per Second holds a special place in my heart, and I have no doubt that it is largely due to my personal resonance and its astounding sense of reflection. Its themes are relevant, as reality would testify to, and are presented ever so vividly, casting authentic projections of our emotional torrents. That said, its appeal can be limited, due to its slow progression and its lack of a comprehensive finale. As much as it is a story of love against all odds, it is also a story of growth, of carving out our own identities within life’s intricate web. An hour is all it takes for Shinkai to capsulize the essence of our life-defining experiences and our fragile bonds with others. Visually stunning, eloquent, poignant, and soul-stirring – it is, without doubt, an anime embedded tighter within my mind than almost all others have been; writing this very review was like allowing my thoughts to bleed, for few masterpieces have ever felt so personal.
  • Low Ki
    edited April 2015
    what the balls? what happened to my post that i edited? It was replaced by a draft? delete plz that was awkward.
  • Thanks again Sara, and Mike I saw that show as a kid. Ligers or something. I don't want actiony stuff like that
  • Kaede
    edited April 2015
    For what it is worth, I skipped completely on action, sci-fi (because Aria is really not a sci-fi beyond the fact that it is set on Mars), and so on. It's purely slice of life and romance, with either a touch of comedy or drama to go with them. Well, apart from Ping Pong which is a fantastic anime. You guys probably know more about action and sci-fi than I do anyways.
  • Alright looks like I got some work to do!
  • Low Ki
    5cm p/s reminds me of those boring artsy movies that get notimated at the Oscars because they dare to be dull.
  • Kaede
    Low Ki wrote: »
    5cm p/s reminds me of those boring artsy movies that get notimated at the Oscars because they dare to be dull.
    Depends, for a pensive person, I think it is perfect. It's really a show that I truly believe that you have to be able to put yourself into the main character's shoes.

If you take other movies, such as Hoshi no Koe and Garden of Words, 5 Centimeters Per Second literally does everything better, simply because it decides to be "dull".
  • Low Ki
    I usually like movies and books that are character driven even if they're tame in tone. The movie was visually beautiful as was the OST but the characters felt so wooden and made the already light story feel sterile at times.

Maybe boring is too strong a word, but I find it hard to see replay value in it.
  • Kaede
    It is boring. I think that's the right word too and the characters are empty. That's what I mean, it is for your own reflection sort of. Like how hurtful distant relationships can be or even when they are close. Things like that. I wouldn't call it character driven or plot driven even. It's just there and you kind of have to put your own two feet into it, for lack of better explanation.

I agree with everything you've said almost.
  • bear
    Thanks again Sara, and Mike I saw that show as a kid. Ligers or something. I don't want actiony stuff like that
    "or something?!?!?!?" no not "or something"

Allow me to show you why it's not just "or something"
    herajikabreak01.jpg that moose with a **** lance stabs one of these 44db5ae12ea7045f8a097c72b2d92b03.jpg
    wrOJ204.gif Then that ish happens and your like 'wait what'
    then before you know it there's one these tumblr_lya492WN0k1qgda89o2_500.gif doing that with tumblr_n2rjubooOh1qi98cjo2_400.gif t-rex laser beams

The show is created out of pure bull elephant testosterone
    tumblr_n93r4bFjV21qg304ho1_400.gif

• Kaede
    edited April 2015
    Something happens
    Good guys have trouble beating bad guys
    Liger saves the day
    Repeat

Admittedly, I once enjoyed it.
  • I watched that on Toonami when I was like 10 man I've grown :#
  • Kaede
    I watched that on Toonami when I was like 10 man I've grown :#
    I was like seven. God bless.
  • bear
    edited April 2015
    Fine watch your joyful romance with School Days, I'll be here watching
    tumblr_n8x65idlb71rx2ovqo5_400.gif

and I bet you could share skinny jeans with your 10 year old self.

edit: Liger doesn't always save the day, shadow fox did once

• and I bet you could share skinny jeans with your 10 year old self.

This made me audibly laugh, because it's true.
  • WAIT Sara is you telling me to watch that movie a way of calling me boring
  • bear
    WAIT Sara is you telling me to watch that movie a way of calling me boring
    She pretty much called you a boring, predictable debbie downer.
  • Kaede
    Are you implying that I am boring because I liked it????
  • bear
    yes
  • Kaede
    bake_06_02.jpg
  • Kaede wrote: »
    Are you implying that I am boring because I liked it????

I thought you said you didn't but that I would OOPS