Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Ashy
    9731 posts League Winner
    I swear back in the day Modric was heavily linked with Man Utd, then Chelsea before he left, Neuer one keeps things realistic :p Can the manager turn it around and save his job!?!
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Ashy wrote: »
    I swear back in the day Modric was heavily linked with Man Utd, then Chelsea before he left, Neuer one keeps things realistic :p Can the manager turn it around and save his job!?!
    According to Sigi... Yes, we can!
    But we know what happens when Sigi boasts too much before a match... Well, let's find it out!

5wIVKKZ.png

So, the time has come. It's one of those 'make it or break it' moments which one usually tends to avoid if possible: Sigi's future at the club is on the line, and we all need to do our best and even more if we want to help him stay.
    That's why hardly anyone talks today in the locker room, we're all focused on what's going to happen. The only one talking is Sigi, addressing us one by one, and we just nod in response.

When he's done, he proceeds to open the door and to have us exit the locker room one by one, giving a high five and a short encouragement to each of us.
    He says "have no mercy" to Fredy Montero who's in front of me in the queue and then he takes the gloves off my right hand, waves them at me and says "Do you see these KK? Like glue. They must be like glue".

Don't worry Sigi, I'll do my best.

It's not an easy match, and the absence of Wahl is noticeable: Tetteh pushes a lot more on the left flank, but he also suffer more while defending. Luckily enough, Ianni is there and collects each and every cross they send in.
    Upfront, we do nothing really worth of note: when Sigi asked Levesque to not make him miss Fucito, Roger should've understood that he should miss each and every chance the same way Mike did recently.
    When you need a win, this gets frustrating pretty quickly: a tight defence (with Ianni being really everywhere) is useless if you don't score to save your life.

And the first half ends 0-0. Sigi doesn't go back to the locker room during the break, he stays out walking nervously back and forth in front of the bench. So do I, in my goal area. From a post to another, and back. I'm more nervous than Sigi if possible.

It's us who record the first shot on goal in the second half, with Evans who fires a powerful rocket from just outside the box, but Kennedy says 'no'.
    ASNwaA1.png
    Shortly after it's Levesque who tries a shot, but the ball sails well wide. Then, they suddenly get their act together and start becoming dangerous.
    Gavin and Valentin own their flank, with Tetteh being in clear difficulty. From one of those situations, Valentin manages to put Ángel one on one with Ianni: Pat tries a desperate sliding tackle, but it's me who has to save the Sounders:
    XFk80N2.png
    Still, it's not enougn and it's already minute 65. Sigi is nervously walking in circles in his technical area, as the minutes go by and we seem unable to score.
    Then, minute 85 comes. Levesque receives a ball on the left edge of the box. He controls it, he gets rid of his defender with a feint. This could be it. He enters the box, raises his head and sees Fredy Montero in the middle. This should be it. he passes the ball to Fredy... This MUST be it!
    GwF5l9J.png
    THIS IS IT! Fredy scores past Kennedy, Sigi makes a jump and throws his water bottle away, we scored! It took us 85 bloody minutes but we did it, we scored!
    Fredy runs towards the bench and hugs Sigi, so does Levesque and so does Alonso, who came in for Friberg at minute 60.

At the end of the match we all rush towards Sigi to celebrate: his job is safe, we won, and I scored another clean sheet in the process. Now the goal is just 180 minutes away.
    Three hours. Two matches. I can do it!

• Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Tense, and took a very long time but you got there finally ^^

He survives, for now.
  • Chris
    5400 posts Big Money Move
    Nice late win right there, shame it wasn't a more convincing win
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    "For he's a jolly good fellowww, which nobody can deny!" Got to hand it to Fredy, if he didn't make that shot I was going to boo him louder than I ever did Giroud. :) And nice job by Keller earning another clean sheet; I assume he's at eight now?
  • Wyojasond
    11563 posts Has That Special Something
    Wooo! Sigi survives! Time to take him out and celebrate.
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    Well played, left it late to score but a win is a win. Also another clean sheet is a bonus and Sigi just hangs onto his job but he would have been sweating :)
  • ale85bg
    He survives, for now.
    For now! Next matches are against Dallas (direct playoff contender, a must win) and against the Crew... Not sure what will happen honestly! :joy:
    Chris wrote: »
    Nice late win right there, shame it wasn't a more convincing win
    Yeah, it was starting to look bleak honestly. I'll eagerly take the win even if it's not convincing though. :p
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    "For he's a jolly good fellowww, which nobody can deny!" Got to hand it to Fredy, if he didn't make that shot I was going to boo him louder than I ever did Giroud. :) And nice job by Keller earning another clean sheet; I assume he's at eight now?
    Fredy has been very consistent in this season (he scored like 15 goals so far, and he's not even a striker but a centre forward). This goal sums up his season pretty much: right place, right time.
    And yes, the clean sheets are actually 8. Another 2 to go with 8 league matches left, the Open Cup semifinal to play and the playoffs which, if we defeated Dallas, would look likely again.
    Wooo! Sigi survives! Time to take him out and celebrate.
    Not a big drinker here, but it looks like Pappa and Rosales took care of him last night anyway:
    An9Z7KY.png

• ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Well played, left it late to score but a win is a win. Also another clean sheet is a bonus and Sigi just hangs onto his job but he would have been sweating :)
    I guess it's been one of the most difficult days of his career for sure! :joy:
    More days like this to come now as we'll have Dallas away, Columbus and then the Open Cup semifinal at the end of the month. These three matches will once again be vital for his future at the club.
  • ale85bg
    5wIVKKZ.png

"KK! Scare me again like that, and you're dropped from the starting eleven. Not even on the bench! I'll personally make sure you don't even enter the stadium! Is this this clear?"
    Sigi is joking of course, but I must admit that I did a huge blunder tonight and that it could've costed us the win in this six pointer against Dallas.

But let's start from the beginning. We entered the pitch all wound up for this match, all of us were absolutely ready. And we showed it: A couple of minutes after the kickoff whistle, Lamar Neagle created a wonderful chance from the right and put a low, sweet cross in for Fucito, who managed to reach it with the tip of his left foot: missed by inches, but we proved we were on the ball at least.
    oznjLJG.png
    Shortly after the 30th minute mark, though, things went differently: Fernández managed to enter the box from the left, he saw Hartman a little out of position and he punished him with a surgical yet powerful ground shot on the near post. 1-0 to the Sounders!

The result wouldn't change until half time, and at the beginning of the second half we even went on the 2-0 thanks to Fucito. Yeah, that's right. Fucito scored!
    And then... Well, that's when I messed up: at minute 70 I received a backpass by Ianni (who once again has been immense), and I completely fumbled it. What was meant to be a powerful ball kicked upfront became a short pass to Tchuimeni-Nimely who, pretty incredulous, proceeded to knock the ball in the open goal. 2-1, that's when we started to suffer.

We faced 20 minutes of suffering and pain, but we managed to hold on. At minute 89 they won a corner, and Hartman joined his teammates in our box. Ianni won the aerial clash and headed the ball out of the box, where Friberg collected it and cleared it as far as possible.
    Fucito was there, and he found himself in front of the open goal:
    h7FcDqc.png
    He managed to keep his cool and to get past his defender, before running into the goal with the ball. 3-1! Game, set and match to the Sounders, and thanks to this win we also got back to 3rd in the Conference table.

Too bad for that blunder that, even if it didn't prevent us from winning the match in the end, prevented me from recording another shutout.

Still 2 to go.
  • Greenman019
    Should have been a CS I guess but a great result either way, especially being an important 6 pointer. Wp
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    I feel for Keller, one lapse in concentration and he misses a clean sheet, but the win was more important and so is avoiding the knockout round.
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    The blunder will be forgotten because you got the win and a decisive 3-1. Well played. Still alive for 10 clean sheets but even if you don't get 10 you and the club have had a pretty good season.
  • Wyojasond
    As others have said, the blunder was a shame but still a nice win
  • ale85bg
    Should have been a CS I guess but a great result either way, especially being an important 6 pointer. Wp
    the win was more important and so is avoiding the knockout round.
    Yeah, that's the most important thing now: we won against a direct playoff contender, clean sheets can wait. :)
    As others have said, the blunder was a shame but still a nice win
    Conceding such a stupid goal because I messed up with the buttons (I must have pressed 'A' instead of 'X' to clear) isn't actually funny and I agree it's a little shameful, but who cares. We won! :joy:
    Still alive for 10 clean sheets but even if you don't get 10 you and the club have had a pretty good season.
    Surely it's been a positive season until now... Hopefully it continues being so! :)

• ale85bg
    5wIVKKZ.png

"Well done Fredy, you've been... I don't know, you make me want to cry!"
    Sigi is surely in a good mood today even if we haven't won: we only managed to draw against Columbus Crew with a brace by Montero.
    I also saved a penalty in the process (well, not really... it was Mendoza who decided to aim at me, I didn't even have to move) and that makes me a happy man.

And if I think that things were looking so bad after fifteen minutes, when Rentería scored the 1-0 with a powerful low shot from close range, eluding the marking (or lack of, probably) of Tetteh.
    Shortly after, Ianni fouled Mendoza and the referee decided to give a penalty. Mendoza himself stepped to the spot, but you already know how it went:
    iiPwFdh.png
    But then, it's been oinly us. Ianni finally started playing on his usual levels, Pappa and Rosales started pushing and Alonso started winning each and every battle for the ball, and providing the forwards with great passes. One of those was perfect for Rosales, who got past his man with a feint and crossed it in for Ochoa:
    Fyvjmnh.png
    His left-footed volley forced Hesmer to perform a great save with his instinct, but Fredy was the quickest to reach the ball and knock it home.
    And he wasn't done there: at the beginning of the second half he received a sweet ball from Alonso, shielded it while getting close to the box and then unleashed a perfectly placed low shot with his right foot for the 2-1. I don't know what he was trying to do whti that funny dance, but he got me burst into laughter when I saw it:
    ZjFWstR.png
    We had a couple of opportunities to score the 3-1, but as it often happens we missed too many chances and we've been punished with a goal by Cunningham at minute 74. Back to square one, and the result wouldn't change anymore.

For how we played we should've won this match: it's probably a case of two points lost, here.
  • Chris
    Two great wins there, good to see KK's mistakes didn't cost him
  • Ashy
    9731 posts League Winner
    Shame about dropping points in the last game, I think the team needs to go out and blow one of the opponents away with a big score to get back to their best, again lovely updates really like what you are doing here
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    As you get closer to the playoffs, it's these kind of matches that could be frustrating. Keller should have a chat with his forwards about dancing less and putting teams away when they get the chance, but then I'm the serious type that doesn't joke around. :|
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Two great wins there, good to see KK's mistakes didn't cost him
    Well it should've been a win against Columbus... But in the end they equalized. :lol:
    Still happy with the football we played, though.

Shame about dropping points in the last game, I think the team needs to go out and blow one of the opponents away with a big score to get back to their best, again lovely updates really like what you are doing here
    Thank you pal!
    I honestly don't foresee big scorelines for the next two matches against Salt Lake. Cup semifinal is upon us (it's August 27th now, we'll be playing them on the 30th) and then against them once again on September 10th in the league. I'll try to put in some solid performances anyway, even if we'll surely have to perform some rotation in the cup as most of the starters are dead tired from the match against Columbus.

Keller should have a chat with his forwards about dancing less and putting teams away when they get the chance, but then I'm the serious type that doesn't joke around. :|
    Well, in this case I don't really have anything to hold against the forwards: both Ochoa and Montero played great. I must admit that had that volley by Ochoa gone in I would've still been rejoicing now though. Too bad Hesmer saved it.
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    8aaHoGn.png

We're here in the locker room, but it looks like I'm living a nightmare: when Sigi reads the lineup, I shiver in fear. We're about to play a cup semifinal, and nearly half of us are either unavailable or dead tired from the league match against the Columbus Crew.
    My back hurts and so does Ianni's, Alonso has a pain in his ankle, Montero has played each and every league and cup match so far and obviously needs some rest. Retirement Home FC anyone?
    On top of that, Rosales went to Sigi begging for a day off after yet another night out, so did Pappa (I don't know why, but I have the suspect they went out together).
    It's not been a lucky week for Mauro, he's been also fined for speeding coming back home after the Columbus match.
    So, we all go to the bench. Boss will start in goal, Scott will have his chance on the right, Carrasco and Sanyang will hold the midfield, Estrada and Roger Levesque (who will also wear the armband) upfront.

As soon as we enter the pitch, we hear the roar of the ECS. They're all here, and apparently they're making fun of Rosales, singing to him a famous Pat Boone song with slightly adapted words:

“His name is Mauro Damián Rosales, he lives Freddie's wine bar...
    He's fond of tequila, runs on the flank more than his car!”

Mauro goes saluting them, receiving a standing ovation in response. He's still a fans' favourite and rightly so.
    The match starts well for us, with Sanyang testing Rimando's reflexes straight away:
    Bd9QYe8.png
    Shortly after it's Levesque hitting the post. It really looks like the flow of the match is totally in our favour, indeed we don't have to wait much to score, it's Estrada who brings us ahead at minute 26.
    Of course it's not that they're really alright with it, and Le Toux equalizes at minute 34.
    The first half ends like this, all in all it's not that bad.

At the beginning of the second half, when Mauro Rosales starts warming up, he receives another standing ovation. Too bad that he returns to the bench five minutes later, saying to Sigi "Man, I can't do it, I'm out of breath already".
    No problem, as also without Rosales the chances to score are there, and it's Levesque who scores the 2-1 goal at minute 55. Then, Sigi brings Pat Ianni in for Graham and clearly tells Scott and González that any run forward is strictly forbidden.
    We manage to resist until minute 76, but then we need a super Terry Boss to deny them the equalizer:
    XPsZYBN.png
    The final minutes are an endless pain, but we manage to resist. I've suffered more today on the bench than in the rest of the season on the pitch... But the only important thing is that we made it... We're in the final!
  • Greenman019
    Shame you didn't get all the points against CC. Hate those games where you miss getting a 2 goal lead and then concede.

Great in the cup though, even though you were on the bench. Looks like you had to do quite a bit of defending at the end as well so great to come through and make the final.
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    Gotta love those penalties straight at you but tough loss against Columbus because you played well. Good win in the cup semi-final with all the players on the bench, well done.
  • Wyojasond
    "He's fond of the tequila, runs on the flank more than his car" :D
  • ale85bg
    Looks like you had to do quite a bit of defending at the end as well so great to come through and make the final.
    Thanks! Yes, we had some intense defending to do at the end but the guys have been wonderful, especially Zach Scott. :)

Good win in the cup semi-final with all the players on the bench, well done.
    Thanks! Yeah, gotta hate the schedule at times... Many players, like Alonso, Rosales and Riley, find it difficult to play every three days... Luckily enough we have some depth! :)

And in some areas, we even haev too much depth... Despite the departures of White and of the former USMNT forward Pat Noonan, we still had 4 players for one striker spot in the starting eleven. So, when an offer from Aberdeen came in for Sammy Ochoa...
    wYNw6A8.png

• ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    "He's fond of the tequila, runs on the flank more than his car" :D
    Glad you liked it! I heard the 'original' song by Boone a couple of days ago... And it's been in my head since. :D

Meanwhile, August is almost over... This means that we'll now have another monthly review, and... That the deadline day will soon be upon us. ;)

28br41y.png
  • Chris
    Great to see a full back gaining recognition, it doesn't happen often haha
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good win against Real Salt Lake in the US Open Cup, too bad the win doesn't count towards league, but at least you know you can beat them should the playoff standings remain as they are. Sigi needs to motivate the lads for a run to end the season.
  • Ashy
    9731 posts League Winner
    Good to see the team scoring plenty of goals (last 3 games Settle net at least 2 a game). Only issue is clean sheets, hopefully one is right around the corner
  • ale85bg
    Great to see a full back gaining recognition, it doesn't happen often haha
    Yeah, he played really well, earning the MotM award with a rating of 7.20...

at least you know you can beat them should the playoff standings remain as they are.
    They surely will, as we'll be facing them in the next league match... With many starters returning. ;)

Good to see the team scoring plenty of goals (last 3 games Settle net at least 2 a game).
    Yeah, Fucito suddenly became a goal-scoring machine... He's currently 2nd in the top goalscorers chart, on par with Montero, one goal shy of NY's Rodgers.

Meanwhile, also the transfer market has ended: apparently the Sounders were looking for Kasey's heir, and apparently they found him...

Mzq44p8.png