SCHOLES 89 PASSING

Comments

• WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something
    Husala wrote: »
    It seems Scholes gets better with every year he is retired.

He wasn't even the best midfielder on his team ffs.

Oh yes he was.

Not for me, Keane was the heart and soul of that team.

I'd have taken Vierra before him as well from the Premier League (and later Gerrard and possibly Lampard) and it seems that the PFA team of the year agree with that (the teams that the players voted for at that time). Scholes made 2 of them over his career which is really good but not jaw dropping.

No denying Scholes was a great player but since he retired he seems to have reached mythical proportions for some reason. It's not like he stood out head and shoulders above his peers, that United midfield was amazing with Giggs, Keane and Beckham.

It just seems his legend grows each year he's retired and tbh I'm getting sick of reading about he great he supposedly was. He was never in the running for a Ballon d'Or and he was never regarded as the premier midfielder of his generation when he was playing (as far as my memory goes anyway).

I'm not a United fan by any stretch but I watched a load of football on Sky over those years and my lasting memory of Scholes is that he was always overshadowed at United by Keane, Giggs, Beckham and then Ronaldo.

As I said, great player, you had to be to be in that United team but history is being very, very kind to him imho.

Most of this is wrong

Why?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-winning-the-ballon-dor-didnt-bother-me-i-just-wanted-to-make-sure-i-was-in-the-9981300.html

As I said, I'm going from memory, I watched a ton of football then and as far as my memory recollects Scholes was never ever regarded the way he is today.

How many player of the year did he win? How may PFA teams did he make? How many times was he voted for in the Ballon d'Or?

He was a great player but he was never as good then as he is perceived now imho. History is being too kind to him.

How many times did Pirlo and Xavi win Ballon d'Or again?

Hate all you want, ask any fan of United if they could have 1 back at the start of his career from Giggs, Beckham, Keane and it would be Scholes.

• Husala
    3658 posts National Call-Up
    A3QDlziCUAAt0zt_zps599bae78.jpg
  • Husala
    I'm biased as I'm a United fan though so....
  • TheGabc
    1952 posts Play-Off Hero
    Proper tinpot
    -Abraham Lincoln
  • Husala
    TheGabc wrote: »
    Proper tinpot
    -Abraham Lincoln

:D
  • Springveldt
    4831 posts National Call-Up
    edited September 2016

Oh yes he was.

I'd have taken Vierra before him as well from the Premier League (and later Gerrard and possibly Lampard) and it seems that the PFA team of the year agree with that (the teams that the players voted for at that time). Scholes made 2 of them over his career which is really good but not jaw dropping.

No denying Scholes was a great player but since he retired he seems to have reached mythical proportions for some reason. It's not like he stood out head and shoulders above his peers, that United midfield was amazing with Giggs, Keane and Beckham.

It just seems his legend grows each year he's retired and tbh I'm getting sick of reading about he great he supposedly was. He was never in the running for a Ballon d'Or and he was never regarded as the premier midfielder of his generation when he was playing (as far as my memory goes anyway).

I'm not a United fan by any stretch but I watched a load of football on Sky over those years and my lasting memory of Scholes is that he was always overshadowed at United by Keane, Giggs, Beckham and then Ronaldo.

As I said, great player, you had to be to be in that United team but history is being very, very kind to him imho.

Most of this is wrong

Why?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-winning-the-ballon-dor-didnt-bother-me-i-just-wanted-to-make-sure-i-was-in-the-9981300.html

As I said, I'm going from memory, I watched a ton of football then and as far as my memory recollects Scholes was never ever regarded the way he is today.

How many player of the year did he win? How may PFA teams did he make? How many times was he voted for in the Ballon d'Or?

He was a great player but he was never as good then as he is perceived now imho. History is being too kind to him.

How many times did Pirlo and Xavi win Ballon d'Or again?

Hate all you want, ask any fan of United if they could have 1 back at the start of his career from Giggs, Beckham, Keane and it would be Scholes.
    Hate? I'm not hating in the slightest. I've already said he was a great player, he just wasn't as good as he is made out to be now.

Anyway, no more commenting on the subject from me, I've made my opinion clear.
  • Aspral
    3796 posts National Call-Up
    I always see people complaining about the base stats on the cards.

But aren't those stats made up of a bunch of stats and averaged? So maybe one of the passing stats is low.
  • seven
    297 posts Sunday League Hero
    rckstr wrote: »
    Scholes being put in the same sentence as Xavi and Pirlo. Yikes.

I'd have him above Pirlo and equal wit Xavi. Certainly better than the likes of Gerrard etc
  • Max_Mania
    5131 posts Big Money Move
    Orikoru wrote: »

Oh yes he was.

I disagree with some of this. Scholes was heralded as a great player while he was playing as well. His reputation has been accentuated by players such as Zidane and Xavi saying he was the best player of his generation as well. Other top players of the last 20 years or so appreciate how he controlled the whole pace of the game and the playing style of his team. When Fergie dragged him back out of retirement at the age of 37 or whatever, it wasn't for fun or out of nostalgia.

It was, cause he didn't want a blonde wanyama with coutinho syndrome on the pitch
  • WWEFAN24_TRIPLEH
    14322 posts Has That Special Something

Pause...

I thought you are a Leicester fan :lol:
  • Bob_Dylan
    20524 posts Club Captain
    seven wrote: »
    rckstr wrote: »
    Scholes being put in the same sentence as Xavi and Pirlo. Yikes.

I'd have him above Pirlo and equal wit Xavi. Certainly better than the likes of Gerrard etc

:D
  • Husala

Pause...

I thought you are a Leicester fan :lol:

Nah mate I'm from Leicester
  • PizziPizza
    14040 posts Has That Special Something
    Scholes as good as Xavi. Ahahahahahahah
  • rckstr
    5288 posts Big Money Move
    PizziPizza wrote: »

ridiculous opinion
  • Snipguy
    12983 posts Has That Special Something
    PizziPizza wrote: »

• They Caged Non
    6042 posts Big Money Move
    People still talking rubbish in this thread, Scholes was absolutely immense and thats from a Boro fan, he was truly outstanding.

But people need to stop moaning about his passing, he wasn't the first choice free kick taker and didn't take corners, plus didn't really cross much, so i can guarantee his short and long passing and his vision will be upper 90s where it belongs.

Anyone who thinks that Xavi and Pirlo are far superior are just kids who don't have a clue.
  • They Caged Non
    Orikoru wrote: »

Oh yes he was.

I disagree with some of this. Scholes was heralded as a great player while he was playing as well. His reputation has been accentuated by players such as Zidane and Xavi saying he was the best player of his generation as well. Other top players of the last 20 years or so appreciate how he controlled the whole pace of the game and the playing style of his team. When Fergie dragged him back out of retirement at the age of 37 or whatever, it wasn't for fun or out of nostalgia.

Fergie dragged him out of retirement cos he saw what a s--t team he had there and didn't ant to end with embarrassment, phoned the old man up and he strolled in and took the league apart one last time. He was and always will be the boss
  • Pughy30
    26831 posts Player of the Year
    "Anyone who thinks that Xavi and Pirlo are far superior are just kids who don't have a clue."

Scholes was great but definitely not as good as Xavi
  • They Caged Non
    Does Gullit not get a mention in this thread, seeing as we keep talking about class
  • Snipguy
    12983 posts Has That Special Something
    I hold no weird "grudge" against Scholes, nor need to ridicule him despite being a Liverpool fan.

You can recognize footballers talent without the need of being a ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

But one thing is for sure, Hernandez Creus was in league of his own.
  • Garycelta923
    6019 posts Big Money Move
    TKBC wrote: »
    TheGabc wrote: »
    poor mans lampard

trolling I assume.

D'ya reckon? :D
    Some things are best left ignored
  • Garycelta923
    6019 posts Big Money Move
    Does Gullit not get a mention in this thread, seeing as we keep talking about class

@Manutelli
  • Cyodine
    2252 posts Fans' Favourite

Only his youtube videos make him look decent.
  • Adrian095
    34071 posts National Team Captain
    Cyodine wrote: »

Only his youtube videos make him look decent.

Lol
  • Auslo17
    1341 posts Professional
    It's funny comparing players who didn't even play in the same position.
  • Manutelli
    20510 posts Club Captain

Arguably one of the best and also one of the most important players ever for teams. He basically ran the team. Was always there to carry the team and push everybody to their limit.