• TKBC
    3035 posts National Call-Up
    TheGabc wrote: »
    poor mans lampard

trolling I assume.
  • TKBC
    Pughy30 wrote: »
    Pirlo has 93 passing on his NIF which is insane that it's higher than legend scholes but like Bagnall said we don't know his in games

Pirlo > Scholes

Scholes destroys Pirlo.

Scholes passing is equal to Pirlo.

• TKBC
    Should be 92-94 imo keep his rating the same and just up his passing

Imagine the rating on Seedorf if Scholes is a 92-94! Must be like 95-97.

Read what I wrote

Zizou called Scholes the best MF of the generation. Zizou knows more than you.
  • Pughy30
    27053 posts Player of the Year
    TKBC wrote: »

Read what I wrote

Read what I wrote

I said keep his rating the same and up his passing on his card not up his rating like Ajax said so what are you even talking about?
  • ChrisLFC
    7326 posts League Winner
    Pirlo has 93 passing on his NIF which is insane that it's higher than legend scholes but like Bagnall said we don't know his in games

Pirlo > Scholes

Scholes destroys Pirlo.

lol
  • Amargaladaster26
    9680 posts League Winner

Pirlo > Scholes

Scholes destroys Pirlo.

You know that Scholes played atleast like 1/3 of his career as AM or even a second striker? While Pirlo was always regista, the last man in front of defense.
  • WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something

Pirlo > Scholes

Scholes destroys Pirlo.

You know that Scholes played atleast like 1/3 of his career as AM or even a second striker? While Pirlo was always regista, the last man in front of defense.

Third of his career is debatable, let's take that though and he still has double or more in goals and assists.

• Springveldt
    4831 posts National Call-Up
    It seems Scholes gets better with every year he is retired.

He wasn't even the best midfielder on his team ffs.
  • ChrisLFC
    7326 posts League Winner

• WoundedGoat

Oh yes he was.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Scholes was fantastic, but comparing him to Pirlo in terms of goals is pointless. Different positions.
  • WoundedGoat
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Scholes was fantastic, but comparing him to Pirlo in terms of goals is pointless. Different positions.

Assists is fair enough though.
  • Orikoru

Even then, Pirlo is playing a lot deeper. He's less likely to get an assist and more likely to assist the assist, if you know what I mean.
  • WoundedGoat

Even then, Pirlo is playing a lot deeper. He's less likely to get an assist and more likely to assist the assist, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure Scholes has plenty of assist assists :joy:

Both greats of the game, non plused with people want to favour either.

Fact is, stats on Scholes should of been a bit better across the board.
  • Slawter
    3989 posts National Call-Up
    Look at it this way, he's a couple lower on his passing card stat than you would've liked, but he's got about 40 higher defending than he deserves too. ;)
  • WoundedGoat
    Slawter wrote: »
    Look at it this way, he's a couple lower on his passing card stat than you would've liked, but he's got about 40 higher defending than he deserves too. ;)

More concerns with pace TBH, no way at his peak he was that slow.
  • Slawter
    3989 posts National Call-Up

Didn't watch Scholes properly at his peak so I couldn't judge.
  • Orikoru

Can't wait to see what they give him for slide tackles! I'm predicting less than 20.
  • WoundedGoat

Well he has the same pace as his 10/11 card, I can assure you he was not at his peak at 35 in terms of pace.
  • Springveldt

Oh yes he was.

Not for me, Keane was the heart and soul of that team.

I'd have taken Vierra before him as well from the Premier League (and later Gerrard and possibly Lampard) and it seems that the PFA team of the year agree with that (the teams that the players voted for at that time). Scholes made 2 of them over his career which is really good but not jaw dropping.

No denying Scholes was a great player but since he retired he seems to have reached mythical proportions for some reason. It's not like he stood out head and shoulders above his peers, that United midfield was amazing with Giggs, Keane and Beckham.

It just seems his legend grows each year he's retired and tbh I'm getting sick of reading about he great he supposedly was. He was never in the running for a Ballon d'Or and he was never regarded as the premier midfielder of his generation when he was playing (as far as my memory goes anyway).

I'm not a United fan by any stretch but I watched a load of football on Sky over those years and my lasting memory of Scholes is that he was always overshadowed at United by Keane, Giggs, Beckham and then Ronaldo.

As I said, great player, you had to be to be in that United team but history is being very, very kind to him imho.
  • valentiii
    3671 posts National Call-Up

Pirlo > Scholes

• Orikoru

Oh yes he was.

I'd have taken Vierra before him as well from the Premier League (and later Gerrard and possibly Lampard) and it seems that the PFA team of the year agree with that (the teams that the players voted for at that time). Scholes made 2 of them over his career which is really good but not jaw dropping.

No denying Scholes was a great player but since he retired he seems to have reached mythical proportions for some reason. It's not like he stood out head and shoulders above his peers, that United midfield was amazing with Giggs, Keane and Beckham.

It just seems his legend grows each year he's retired and tbh I'm getting sick of reading about he great he supposedly was. He was never in the running for a Ballon d'Or and he was never regarded as the premier midfielder of his generation when he was playing (as far as my memory goes anyway).

I'm not a United fan by any stretch but I watched a load of football on Sky over those years and my lasting memory of Scholes is that he was always overshadowed at United by Keane, Giggs, Beckham and then Ronaldo.

As I said, great player, you had to be to be in that United team but history is being very, very kind to him imho.

I disagree with some of this. Scholes was heralded as a great player while he was playing as well. His reputation has been accentuated by players such as Zidane and Xavi saying he was the best player of his generation as well. Other top players of the last 20 years or so appreciate how he controlled the whole pace of the game and the playing style of his team. When Fergie dragged him back out of retirement at the age of 37 or whatever, it wasn't for fun or out of nostalgia.
  • Husala
    3658 posts National Call-Up

Oh yes he was.

Most of this is wrong
  • seven
    297 posts Sunday League Hero
    :D
    Husala wrote: »

Link above says it all.

Check this one...Henry picking between Scholes and Gerrard. Carraghers face :D
    https://youtu.be/p6jVRGsFxe0

• Husala
    3658 posts National Call-Up
    seven wrote: »
    :D

Link above says it all.

Check this one...Henry picking between Scholes and Gerrard. Carraghers face :D
    https://youtu.be/p6jVRGsFxe0

<3
  • ChrisLFC
    7326 posts League Winner
    edited September 2016
    Zidane praised Gerrard as well. Quotes mean nothing. Other players voted David Luiz as one of the best defenders in the world.
  • Springveldt

Oh yes he was.

Most of this is wrong

Why?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-winning-the-ballon-dor-didnt-bother-me-i-just-wanted-to-make-sure-i-was-in-the-9981300.html

As I said, I'm going from memory, I watched a ton of football then and as far as my memory recollects Scholes was never ever regarded the way he is today.

How many player of the year did he win? How may PFA teams did he make? How many times was he voted for in the Ballon d'Or?

He was a great player but he was never as good then as he is perceived now imho. History is being too kind to him.
  • rckstr
    5288 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 2016
    Scholes being put in the same sentence as Xavi and Pirlo. Yikes.
  • PizziPizza
    14040 posts Has That Special Something
    Deserved even less. Scholes is a glorified Cleverley.