Utterly Tinpot European Midweek Thread V 2.0

Comments

• XxRichiexRichxX
    31911 posts National Team Captain
    mjs4p wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Would love to see Mkhy given a proper run out tonight

This. I hope Mou didn't buy him to use as a sub. I know he has struggled to adapt at times in the past after a move, but I think he's a wonderful player. I badly wanted my club to buy him.

I think it's partially because he's trying to ease him in knowing his history, and partially him trying to show everyone that he's got no bad blood between him and Mata.

Honestly if Lingard is healthy, wouldn't even be surprised if he gets the go. Looked very bright in pre season.

I'd love to Mkh to get the start though so we can have proper pace on both wings.
  • The Mega Squid
    2001 posts Fans' Favourite
    Reus wrote: »
    I don't get why rooney gets so much hate from United fans

Started 2010 with the whole contract fuss and him handing in two transfer requests during his time here. That hasn't been forgotten. Then there are all the rumours and speculation that he's been the one leaking info the last few years about the club and the Moyes and LVG eras. Plus the added fact that he seems to have this forcefield around him from the media that makes him devoid of any criticism.

None of this takes into account that he's has been pretty much ineffective for the last two years and constantly breaks up attacks because of his lack of touch and speed of thought seemingly going down. And now that we have a really solid first XI that we could field, most fans still find it ridiculous that we are trying to pidgeonhole him into the lineup even if our other personnel would be better suited with him on the bench. It's what could make or break us this season depending on when Mourinho drops him (unless of course he miraculously rediscovers his skills from 4 years ago which the media still thinks he can do).

That's the bulk of it really
  • Reus
    22558 posts Club Captain

I don't get it either. I know he's not what he was, but I don't think he hinders us as much as people make it out to be. I still don't get the "slows up the attack" because "he receives the ball, looks up, and then passes" if that's the case then we've got a lot of players that "slow up the attack". Sure his touch fails him at time and he's sluggish, but still contributes, played well last game. But I'm not trying to get into an argument either.

That description has been every United player maybe bar maybe martial since fergie left

I watched the game on Sunday and he didn't slow down the attack at all it was already slow he got it and passed it quickly

The problem is the initial build up is so slow Uniteds forwards only get the ball with there back to goal
  • XxRichiexRichxX

I don't get it either. I know he's not what he was, but I don't think he hinders us as much as people make it out to be. I still don't get the "slows up the attack" because "he receives the ball, looks up, and then passes" if that's the case then we've got a lot of players that "slow up the attack". Sure his touch fails him at time and he's sluggish, but still contributes, played well last game. But I'm not trying to get into an argument either.

That description has been every United player maybe bar maybe martial since fergie left

I watched the game on Sunday and he didn't slow down the attack at all it was already slow he got it and passed it quickly

The problem is the initial build up is so slow Uniteds forwards only get the ball with there back to goal

Yeah Sunday's game was what prompted me to ask how he slowed up the attack because he was always quick to get the ball off of his feet from what I saw.
  • mjs4p
    11092 posts Has That Special Something

I agree with you. I think for some they just take his past success for granted. I think there are 19 other Premier League sides who would be happy to have him.
  • KingLionel10
    15025 posts World Class
    Dwight Gayle hattrick tomorrow please
  • XxRichiexRichxX

Started 2010 with the whole contract fuss and him handing in two transfer requests during his time here. That hasn't been forgotten. Then there are all the rumours and speculation that he's been the one leaking info the last few years about the club and the Moyes and LVG eras. Plus the added fact that he seems to have this forcefield around him from the media that makes him devoid of any criticism.

None of this takes into account that he's has been pretty much ineffective for the last two years and constantly breaks up attacks because of his lack of touch and speed of thought seemingly going down. And now that we have a really solid first XI that we could field, most fans still find it ridiculous that we are trying to pidgeonhole him into the lineup even if our other personnel would be better suited with him on the bench. It's what could make or break us this season depending on when Mourinho drops him (unless of course he miraculously rediscovers his skills from 4 years ago which the media still thinks he can do).

I really don't think Rooney will be what "makes or breaks us". I honestly think he'd be an effective CM in a deeper role but Mou won't play him there. I wish we would sell him because Mou won't play him at CM, but I agree we have a better option for CAM than him at the moment with his touch being inconsistent. But I don't think Rooney playing or not will make or break us
  • Reus
    22558 posts Club Captain

Yeah Sunday's game was what prompted me to ask how he slowed up the attack because he was always quick to get the ball off of his feet from what I saw.

I also don't think you have anyone better at playing in behind ibra

Mata has been woefully inconsistent for United and at least when rooney isn't having a good game he puts a shift in

It's not like rooney is keeping a world class cam out of the team
  • XxRichiexRichxX

I agree with you. I think for some they just take his past success for granted. I think there are 19 other Premier League sides who would be happy to have him.

Yeah I think that's the main thing. He's not the player he was that bagged a bunch of goals a season. He doesn't have the pace anymore and it's partially his fault for not maintaining his fitness better. I think people just look at his former self compared to what he is now, on top of his pay check and I think that's what stems a lot of criticism. I'm not saying he's still playing at a world class level anymore because he's obviously not, but I don't think he's as bad as what people say he is.
  • Reus
    22558 posts Club Captain

Agree completely

They seem to blame the club's failure on rooney
  • XxRichiexRichxX

Mata has been woefully inconsistent for United and at least when rooney isn't having a good game he puts a shift in

Iirc some of Matas worst games last season were when he was playing CAM. But I don't think anyone thrived at CAM due to the genius that is LVG. Idk.

I'm just looking forward to the season. Hope Rooney finds his place and some good form. If he repeats or builds on how he played last game I'll be happy. Hopefully the team builds on the last game.
  • The Mega Squid

I really don't think Rooney will be what "makes or breaks us". I honestly think he'd be an effective CM in a deeper role but Mou won't play him there. I wish we would sell him because Mou won't play him at CM, but I agree we have a better option for CAM than him at the moment with his touch being inconsistent. But I don't think Rooney playing or not will make or break us

If he's shoehorned into the team even when he isn't playing well, then the team will suffer. That's what I meant.

And no I'd rather not have a CM that has games where he forgets how to pass a ball 5 yards. This is my point. If we want to challenge again as a club and return to where we were a few years ago, it shouldn't be the benchmark for someone to be "decent". Now I would be perfectly fine with him being a sub who can come on as a goal threat, but he doesn't have a place in the first XI for me.
  • Reus
    22558 posts Club Captain

If he's shoehorned into the team even when he isn't playing well, then the team will suffer. That's what I meant.

And no I'd rather not have a CM that has games where he forgets how to pass a ball 5 yards. This is my point. If we want to challenge again as a club and return to where we were a few years ago, it shouldn't be the benchmark for someone to be "decent". Now I would be perfectly fine with him being a sub who can come on as a goal threat, but he doesn't have a place in the first XI for me.

He's not being shoehorned into the team

He's playing just behind ibra which is his natural position
  • The Mega Squid

That's the thing, if you take him out we switch to a 4-3-3 and you get Pogba in his preferred role, along with two other midfielders who are both in their natural roles. It's the formation we played best under LVG because we would put two energetic players in front of Carrick, who is still our best passer
  • ORANGEeffect05
    21019 posts Club Captain
    Gonna take off early at work today to catch the game
  • Reus
    22558 posts Club Captain

That's the thing, if you take him out we switch to a 4-3-3 and you get Pogba in his preferred role, along with two other midfielders who are both in their natural roles. It's the formation we played best under LVG because we would put two energetic players in front of Carrick, who is still our best passer

See now I'd say Carrick is the one who slows your attacks not rooney

He never plays the killer ball

Always sideways and backwards, so the ball never gets to your forwards until the opposition has pulled men back and organised defensively

That's the improvement that pogba could make, speeding up the transition between attack and defence
  • XxRichiexRichxX

Tbf, I'm pretty sure Mou isn't playing 4231 to cater to Rooney, he's doing it because it's his preferred formation. I'd much prefer the 433. I think we be best with a 433 having Pogba and Rooney/Mata/Ander partnered with him.

And yes if Rooney isn't playing well then obvious yank him. But my point is he played well why drop him? He contributes, he's got the energy because he can be all over the pitch, he tracks back, he was put under pressure last week repeatedly and still managed 90% pass accuracy. Being put under pressure just forced him to move more and find more space
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited August 2016

Always sideways and backwards, so the ball never gets to your forwards until the opposition has pulled men back and organised defensively

That's the improvement that pogba could make, speeding up the transition between attack and defence

I agree. I said the same about Carrick last season. He's someone that holds onto the ball for longer than he should while he tries to decide where he wants to pass. I love Carrick don't get me wrong, but he slowed up the game a lot last season because he seemed hesitant, which could be why he was so woeful last season
  • The Mega Squid

I don't mind Carrick taking more time on the ball, because he plays much deeper than Rooney and doesn't play in what is supposed to be the most creative role on the pitch. But yes Pogba will definitely help as we finally have a mid who can carry the ball from defense to attack and beat players. I can't even remember the last mid we had that could do that. It's been a hole in our side for years
  • Reus
    22558 posts Club Captain
    The main reason leicester won the league is the main reason United flopped

The speed leicester transitioned from defence to attack was rapid

Uniteds was ponderous

Mahrez, okazaki and Vardy were 3 on 3 or 3 on 4 time after time

Every time a united attacker eventually got the ball 6 or 7 players were back in defence
  • XxRichiexRichxX

Uniteds was ponderous

Every time a united attacker eventually got the ball 6 or 7 players were back in defence

Yeah our counter attack was absolutely dreadful last year. And I don't think it was any one players fault last season. I think it was LVG not wanting us to take any risk to lose possession. Smh.
  • WombRaider
    17045 posts World Class
    But surely you saying that contradicts your points on Rooney @reus?

Rooney is ponderous, he's so so slow he slows everything United does down.
  • The Mega Squid
    Agreed, although much of that had to do with Van Gaal as he wanted to keep possession once his team won it back instead of risking giveaways, while Leicester are the opposite where they are happy to punt it into no man's land immediately 20 times throughout a match if it means 2 of those times they get Vardy in a 1v1 with a defender in a footrace.

But yes it would make my want bash my head in watching us win the ball and then immediately look to pass back to the defense before strolling up the field.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited August 2016
    WombRaider wrote: »
    But surely you saying that contradicts your points on Rooney @reus?

Rooney is ponderous, he's so so slow he slows everything United does down.

But how does he slow the attack on the ball when he's on the ball for less than a second or two more times than not? He receives the ball and passes it off, often to a winger/fullback for them to cross while he crashes in the box. Only time he takes multiple touches really if he's in a position to shoot and tries to get that space to do so.
  • Reus
    22558 posts Club Captain

Uniteds was ponderous

Yeah our counter attack was absolutely dreadful last year. And I don't think it was any one players fault last season. I think it was LVG not wanting us to take any risk to lose possession. Smh.

I'm not sure it will change much under mourinho he isn't exactly known for his attacking football

But you know have a clinical striker and a top right winger which should make a big difference
  • DoD_Jester
    26345 posts Player of the Year
    On Rooney

Forgot I taped the 2002-2003 Premier League Years last night

• The Mega Squid

Uniteds was ponderous

I'm not sure it will change much under mourinho he isn't exactly known for his attacking football

But you know have a clinical striker and a top right winger which should make a big difference

But he is know for his counter attacking, it's what all of his best sides have been excellent at
  • WFCBagnall
    70462 posts Moderator
    edited August 2016
    hoban95 wrote: »
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Just leaving work now, absolutely buzzing for this weekend

**** you @WFCBagnall

I was considering toning down on the train talk.

But if you want to be like that :)

If want happened last Friday happens again today I'm coming for you :joy:

200w.gif

Hoban=====Me

:joy:
  • DoD_Jester
    26345 posts Player of the Year
    Just leaving work now, absolutely buzzing for this weekend

**** you @WFCBagnall

I was considering toning down on the train talk.

But if you want to be like that :)

If want happened last Friday happens again today I'm coming for you :joy:

200w.gif

Hoban=====Me

:joy:

Holy **** that's evil

Still laughed though :joy:
  • hoban95
    49124 posts FIFA Cover Star
    How can a tractor crash into a train? Like...

-.-