Tips

lbezza
170 posts Has Potential To Be Special
Guys I'm rubbish at defending, like I'm struggling here. Is it worth getting top price defenders to then have average attackers?

Was looking at tots godin for sure but I don't know who to partner with c.150k.

Any ideas? Should I opt for a formation with 2 cdms?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Comments

• ShadowGamer330
    82 posts Park Captain
    Hold L2 and X to jockey people. Try to focus on the way your opposition plays and learn to predict where they will go. Then slide tackle or stand tackle when you see the right time. I have the same issue.
    As for formation, 2 CDMs isn't necessary. Just find a formation you are comfortable withand it will be a bit easier.
  • smeggybowler
    332 posts Sunday League Hero
    try and defend with your midfielders ,have them attack the player on the ball leaving your defence in front of the ball
  • CAVALLOIBZ
    488 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The game decide if you good or not... One session you re Fifa master.. The session after seems you ve never played once. This is the play beautiful mindset.... Unfortunately it s again and again like every year the same story... Pace pace pace and bug goals.
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    I will always look to put more money into my attack than defence.

As has been said before, have your midfield help out by tracking runs manually. Play with 2 cdm formations if you still have trouble. Don't commit to tackles unless you're sure you will get the ball.

What teams are you running, and what div you in?
  • RandomLhama83
    10108 posts Has That Special Something
    contain
  • Clintday
    3 posts Ball Boy
    You're kidding? I've played about 600 games and I've never known that you can press L2 + X to jockey? Is this why I'm so crap at defending?
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Having top price defenders doesn't actually help you defend, you still need to perform the same basic actions. You're better off buying more expensive attackers to make sure you can score more than you concede.
  • CAVALLOIBZ
    488 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Having top price defenders doesn't actually help you defend, you still need to perform the same basic actions. You're better off buying more expensive attackers to make sure you can score more than you concede.

agree 100%
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class

This, but don't settle for any 75 rated defenders, good defensive stats can help you up to a certain point, but there's no point spending the majority of your budget on them. There are plenty of very good defenders for around 1k, like Manolas, Laporte, Bonucci etc.

The best tip for defending is not to rush players out of position and try to predict what your opponent is going to do. Try to anticipate the pass or the dribble, and defend with your midfield and don't start chasing with the CB.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Rumplefish wrote: »

This, but don't settle for any 75 rated defenders, good defensive stats can help you up to a certain point, but there's no point spending the majority of your budget on them. There are plenty of very good defenders for around 1k, like Manolas, Laporte, Bonucci etc.

The best tip for defending is not to rush players out of position and try to predict what your opponent is going to do. Try to anticipate the pass or the dribble, and defend with your midfield and don't start chasing with the CB.

Yeah, I tend to go for centre backs rated 84 and up. As you say, there are plenty of good ones that don't cost anything. But I don't think there's any benefit in going for mega expensive 90 rated ones, just like with goalkeepers, they don't stop you experiencing the same ❤️❤️❤️❤️ nonsense that costs you goals regardless.

Solid advice in your last paragraph there. That's the key thing I sometimes forget and go chasing around with a centre back before realising who it is and sending them back, lol.
  • Gunnerz
    300 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited June 2016
    First of all play some games without sliding at all. Just cause most people spam slide tackle, doesnt mean its always the best option.

The amount of goals conceded from slide tackles that fly off is $###

Just spend a few games jockeying your opponents and not over commiting. Stay goal side and a couple yards back. Wait for the obvious moments to steal the ball (ie just outside the box when the spam passes into their forward. Most people either turn the opposite way you are rushing or fake shot backwards.) If you dont over commit you can easily pick the ball off )

Secondly ease off second man contain. Pulling defenders out of position creates too many gaps.

After a enough games you will quickly start to pick up how your opponent plays and then be more aggressive at stealing the ball.

And finally keep calm and keep possession. People get annoyed easily enough and start rushing you and pulling players out of position which opens gaps. Plus more time on the ball equals less defending.

High cost defenders wont mean anything if they arent used correctly
  • dbslbu
    1875 posts Fans' Favourite
    Some cracking tips here indeed. My best tips would be;

a) don't play drunk
    b) don't play stoned
    c) definitely don't play drunk and stoned
  • Gunnerz
    300 posts Sunday League Hero
    dbslbu wrote: »

a) don't play drunk
    b) don't play stoned

Sounds like solid advice that not only works well in fifa, but in most other aspects of life too.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class

a) don't play drunk
    b) don't play stoned

Where's the fun in that?
  • dbslbu
    1875 posts Fans' Favourite
    I've lost around 100 games more than I've won this year! I blame booze and blaze for each and every loss!!!
  • Baznotsobad76
    5063 posts Big Money Move

a) don't play drunk
    b) don't play stoned

Drinking and driving costs lives...

Drinking and Fifa-er-ing costs points...
  • lbezza
    170 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited June 2016
    Some good tips on here thanks guys.