We are aware of an issue with FUT Crashing for Virgin media users & we are working on this. Apologies for the inconvenience this is causing. We have a thread discussing it here.

OT- Console gamer here looking to join the PC Masterrace

Slow As Kieran
1676 posts Play-Off Hero
Hi, I'm making a thread here to say, finally after some time I am ready to make the switch to a gaming PC. Mainly for CS:GO and the general variety of cheap fun games, but fifa will always be my main game.

I was wondering if any kind soul could lead me to any helpful sites for pc builds? I am completely useless when it comes to PC's so I find myself in a tricky position.

I would probably set myself a budget of £500 for a PC then monitor and mouse etc will be bought separately.


TL;DR- I want a gaming PC but am not sure where to go to get a good one.


Thanks

Comments

  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    500 for a gaming PC isnt enough m8, you need 650 at least for an average one
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    500 for a gaming PC isnt enough m8, you need 650 at least for an average one

    OK I'd be willing to spend more if that is the case.

    You know of any sites that could help me?
  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    500 for a gaming PC isnt enough m8, you need 650 at least for an average one

    OK I'd be willing to spend more if that is the case.

    You know of any sites that could help me?

    no, built my PC in local store :p
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    500 for a gaming PC isnt enough m8, you need 650 at least for an average one

    OK I'd be willing to spend more if that is the case.

    You know of any sites that could help me?

    no, built my PC in local store :p

    Damn, lol.

    I don't even know what specs I should be aiming for.

    I wouldn't be looking for ultra hd graphics or anything special, just a PC that can run demanding games with no/minimal lag
  • Antiversum
    5815 posts Big Money Move
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    500 for a gaming PC isnt enough m8, you need 650 at least for an average one

    OK I'd be willing to spend more if that is the case.

    You know of any sites that could help me?

    no, built my PC in local store :p

    Damn, lol.

    I don't even know what specs I should be aiming for.

    I wouldn't be looking for ultra hd graphics or anything special, just a PC that can run demanding games with no/minimal lag

    There is no "lag" in offline games. You mean FPS drops that cause stutter.

    Shops are also hard to mention since I don't know where you're from and which stores are there. If you're from GB build your pc and select the shop who gives you the lowest total value from here: https://skinflint.co.uk/
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    Thanks a lot mate, I know it's hard helping someone as hopeless as me so thanks for trying, I will give it a look.

    16gb RAM
    Intel Core i5 4690 3.5GHz Quad Core 6MB 84W - £150
    Samsung 850 evo 500GB - £100
    Geforce gtx 960 2gb - £250

    This is what a got so far, might be really ❤️❤️❤️❤️ idk
  • Antiversum
    5815 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2016
    You have a power supply (a real one and no 1000W for 20 bucks from china? 350-450W should be enough by far), case, monitor...? And you better add a mainboard (socket 1150) to your list.

    Don't know which programs you use and how many games you will have installed permanently you could save money and buy a 250GB SSD and put at least 1TB HDD in it (remember games gain from SSD).

    Personall I recommend you to use a seperate CPU cooler since the stock ones are loud and ❤️❤️❤️❤️ (you will have to buy thermal compound on top for a few bucks).
    Additionally I wouldn't buy a GPU with less than 4GB VRAM any more but this could be out of budget for you (some discount PCs might offer 4GB GPU but their power is sometimes too low to handle these 4GB).



    This one is about 700€:
    Intel Core i5-6400 Boxed
    _Alternativ: Intel Core i5-6600 Boxed oder Intel Core i3-6100 Boxed
    Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P
    _Alternativ: ASRock B150M Pro4
    8GB Crucial 2133MHz CL15 (2x 4GB)
    _Alternativ: 8GB Kingston 2133MHz CL15 (2x 4GB)
    R9 380 (4 GB)
    _Alternativ: GTX 960 (4 GB)
    Cooler Master G450M 450W
    _Alternativ: Super Flower Golden Green HX 450W
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB
    _Alternativ: Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB oder Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
    LG GH24NSC0
    _Alternativ: Samsung SH-224DB oder LG BH16NS40
    Corsair Carbide Series 200R
    _Alternativ: BitFenix Shinobi oder Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 schwarz, schallgedämmt

    Oh and you might add at least 2 fans to your list to bring fresh air in and hot air out (some cases don't include fans).
  • Kakarot1996
    1435 posts Play-Off Hero
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    @Antiversum Thanks for the list, i just used it and came up with this list (Prices are what i found them for online after a quick search:

    Processor:
    Intel Core i5-6400 Boxed - £140

    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P - £74.64

    DIMM Desktop memory:
    8GB Crucial 2133MHz CL15 (2x 4GB)- £26

    Graphics card:
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 960 graphics card (4 GB) - £165

    Power Supply:
    Cooler Master 450w GM - £50

    Desktop Harddrive:
    Seagate 1TB 3.5" Desktop Hard Drive SATA-600 7200RPM 64MB 3.5" Hard Drive £39.99

    DVD-RW:
    Samsung SH-224DB - £12

    Case (no power supply):
    Corsair Carbide Series 200R Mid tower case - £55


    Say if i was to purchase all things listed here, and then take them to a local store to be built, would that give me a working PC?


    Thanks
  • CFCsjmishra
    8937 posts League Winner
    @Antiversum Thanks for the list, i just used it and came up with this list (Prices are what i found them for online after a quick search:

    Processor:
    Intel Core i5-6400 Boxed - £140

    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P - £74.64

    DIMM Desktop memory:
    8GB Crucial 2133MHz CL15 (2x 4GB)- £26

    Graphics card:
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 960 graphics card (4 GB) - £165

    Power Supply:
    Cooler Master 450w GM - £50

    Desktop Harddrive:
    Seagate 1TB 3.5" Desktop Hard Drive SATA-600 7200RPM 64MB 3.5" Hard Drive £39.99

    DVD-RW:
    Samsung SH-224DB - £12

    Case (no power supply):
    Corsair Carbide Series 200R Mid tower case - £55


    Say if i was to purchase all things listed here, and then take them to a local store to be built, would that give me a working PC?


    Thanks

    Yes.

    Most of my friends assembled it themselves.
  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    dont you have that one computer freak friend everyone has? :joy:
  • DefiantHD
    1031 posts Professional
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    dont you have that one computer freak friend everyone has? :joy:

    Sooo relatable. :joy:
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    dont you have that one computer freak friend everyone has? :joy:

    Friend? what is friend? lol

    No all my mates are console gamers too, i am just finally coming to sense and wanting to make the transition to PC.

    I have workmates who know people who are PC nerds, but i would feel cheeky asking them :lol:
  • Antiversum
    5815 posts Big Money Move
    I would still buy a SSD additional to your HDD. PC, programs and games will start much much faster and some games already have streaming issues with textures when they are on a HDD.
  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    dont you have that one computer freak friend everyone has? :joy:

    Friend? what is friend? lol

    No all my mates are console gamers too, i am just finally coming to sense and wanting to make the transition to PC.

    I have workmates who know people who are PC nerds, but i would feel cheeky asking them :lol:

    i would do it tho, nerds have so much time that they know everything about pcs :p just givem 10 quids afterwards and all are happy
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    So say i add a 250GB SDD to that list, I dont have to remove anything?
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    dont you have that one computer freak friend everyone has? :joy:

    Friend? what is friend? lol

    No all my mates are console gamers too, i am just finally coming to sense and wanting to make the transition to PC.

    I have workmates who know people who are PC nerds, but i would feel cheeky asking them :lol:

    i would do it tho, nerds have so much time that they know everything about pcs :p just givem 10 quids afterwards and all are happy

    I guess there is no harm in asking, I just want 100% reassurance that the list i have is going to build me a decent gaming PC lol
  • Rinoa
    997 posts Professional
    I got mine from UK gaming PC specialists Chillblast, would really recommend them.

    http://www.chillblast.com/

    Scan and Overclockers.co.uk are well known sites for gaming too
  • Azof
    17471 posts World Class
    reddit.com/r/buildapc for advice, pcpartpicker to make sure everything is compatible

    build it yourself it is ❤️❤️❤️❤️ easy and you will save money
  • Azof
    17471 posts World Class
    Rinoa wrote: »
    I got mine from UK gaming PC specialists Chillblast, would really recommend them.

    http://www.chillblast.com/

    Scan and Overclockers.co.uk are well known sites for gaming too

    holy god that is a rip off site
  • mindm4ster
    5046 posts Big Money Move
    Azof wrote: »
    reddit.com/r/buildapc for advice, pcpartpicker to make sure everything is compatible

    build it yourself it is ❤️❤️❤️❤️ easy and you will save money

    You know not everyone have to count every penny - if he can afford it why not ?
    I would also get somebody to build my pc If I could afford even though I've done in many times
  • Rinoa
    997 posts Professional
    Azof wrote: »
    Rinoa wrote: »
    I got mine from UK gaming PC specialists Chillblast, would really recommend them.

    http://www.chillblast.com/

    Scan and Overclockers.co.uk are well known sites for gaming too

    holy god that is a rip off site

    So you are saying that a company charging 50-100 quid on top of parts to build and configure a PC is a rip off? The OP already said he wasn't tech savvy so why would you instruct him to build it himself?

    I got my system overclocked and configured as part of the service, means I had to do nothing except turn on the on button. I also have a 3 year warranty which I would much rather have than trying to save 50 quid building it myself.
  • Rinoa
    997 posts Professional
    Also in response to OP, £500 wont get you a PC that performs any better than a console.
  • Amargaladaster26
    7892 posts League Winner
    As long as you call us masterrace, you are in.
  • Denisianes
    8152 posts League Winner
    Rinoa wrote: »
    Azof wrote: »
    Rinoa wrote: »
    I got mine from UK gaming PC specialists Chillblast, would really recommend them.

    http://www.chillblast.com/

    Scan and Overclockers.co.uk are well known sites for gaming too

    holy god that is a rip off site

    So you are saying that a company charging 50-100 quid on top of parts to build and configure a PC is a rip off? The OP already said he wasn't tech savvy so why would you instruct him to build it himself?

    I got my system overclocked and configured as part of the service, means I had to do nothing except turn on the on button. I also have a 3 year warranty which I would much rather have than trying to save 50 quid building it myself.

    I would build you 5 computers for 50 quid :joy: Also every component has a warranty of it's own so that 3 year warranty is just a "convenience" and sometimes a hindrance if you want to open it yourself (cleaning etc). But anyway it's better to pay a a little sum than burning something by a mistake.
  • Azof
    17471 posts World Class
    Denisianes wrote: »
    Rinoa wrote: »
    Azof wrote: »
    Rinoa wrote: »
    I got mine from UK gaming PC specialists Chillblast, would really recommend them.

    http://www.chillblast.com/

    Scan and Overclockers.co.uk are well known sites for gaming too

    holy god that is a rip off site

    So you are saying that a company charging 50-100 quid on top of parts to build and configure a PC is a rip off? The OP already said he wasn't tech savvy so why would you instruct him to build it himself?

    I got my system overclocked and configured as part of the service, means I had to do nothing except turn on the on button. I also have a 3 year warranty which I would much rather have than trying to save 50 quid building it myself.

    I would build you 5 computers for 50 quid :joy: Also every component has a warranty of it's own so that 3 year warranty is just a "convenience" and sometimes a hindrance if you want to open it yourself (cleaning etc). But anyway it's better to pay a a little sum than burning something by a mistake.

    more likely to burn something with their awful brand powersupplies on anything below a grand, no point risking it
Sign In or Register to comment.