Premier League Lounge (2014/15)

Comments

• Baelexis
    1765 posts Play-Off Hero
    D10S wrote: »
    Did someone actually say that Gareth Bale is better than Franck Ribéry? 3077217049.gif
    yes, because he is
  • D10S
    4500 posts National Call-Up
    Some of you desperately need to watch some real life calcio. Bale better than Ribéry? What next -- are you going to say that Penaldo is better than Messi? 3077217049.gif
  • Baelexis
    1765 posts Play-Off Hero
    Bram wrote: »
    Baelexis wrote: »
    Bram wrote: »
    SaifR wrote: »
    Bale is soo underrated, absolute madness Ribery is mentioned in the same sentence as him

Bale is the better footballer, but I definitely agree Ribery is a better fit in that team. Bale would be a square peg in a round hole.
    I think Ribery is a more skillful footballer, but Bale compensates that with his amazing physic
    and pace, dont forget pace
    I count that under his physical attributes ;)

I'm off. Goodnight my loves

g-night bbe
  • Robert
    21723 posts Club Captain
    Did someone actually say that Gareth Bale is better than Franck Ribéry? 3077217049.gif
    Never seen someone find the truth that humorous tbh.
  • DM93
    25 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Some of you desperately need to watch some real life calcio. Bale better than Ribéry? What next -- are you going to say that Penaldo is better than Messi? 3077217049.gif
    It's official. People aren't allowed opinions
  • SaifR
    12842 posts Has That Special Something

Ribery's a fantastic footballer. Bale is more likely to be a match winner (which is what counts, right?)

Messi is from another planet, Ronaldo ain't touching him.
  • Trygar1825
    2164 posts Fans' Favourite
    Random question, is there any way to cap # of post per page? It seems like I have to scroll so far down lol
  • Lautremer
    630 posts Sunday League Hero

people on here seem to massively underrate ribery due to some bad CL performances against english teams..
  • SaifR
    Lautremer wrote: »

people on here seem to massively underrate ribery due to some bad CL performances against english teams..

I'll agree with the fact he's hugely underrated. He may be old but he's still one of the best in his position.
  • D10S
    Ribery's a fantastic footballer. Bale is more likely to be a match winner (which is what counts, right?)
    Bale is more likely to be a match-winner because his style of play is built around being explosive and decisive. That's why you will regularly see him having poor performances that he caps off with a major contribution. Look no further than the two biggest matches he has ever played in his life. Bale isn't a smart player, he is not a great dribbler, he's not a great playmaker, he's awful defensively, and he isn't a consistent performer.

Ribéry is the opposite type of player compared to Bale. His game is predicated on consistency and teamwork. He doesn't dominate matches because of brute athleticism, he does it based on skill and intelligence. He's by far a better dribbler, playmaker, and passer. He offers significantly more to a team overall and the only football skill that Bale is better at is long-range shooting.

The only reason why this is debatable is because many of you clearly don't watch calcio.

• D10S
    And if you're going to reduce ability to just being a 'match-winner' then you're just lost, period. There is much more to the sport than end product.
  • SaifR
    edited April 2015
    And if you're going to reduce ability to just being a 'match-winner' then you're just lost, period. There is much more to the sport than end product.

You come across as very arrogant, for a start. Just because we don't agree with you, we 'don't watch football'? Oh, and trying to be fancy calling it 'calcio'. ****.

I've said it already, Ribéry is a brilliant footballer, and better technically. But the physical aspect of the game shouldn't be disregarded either. Bale's power & pace is a huge asset, and to add end product to that makes him lethal. This season he's not been at his best, no footballer is at their best every season. Bale's still young & is yet to hit his ceiling. Once he'd settled into Real Madrid last season, he had many great performances. Including winning goals in the CDR & CL finals, by the way. Just because he's a different type of player, that doesn't make him inferior. Also, his last season at Spurs he was absolutely unplayable. And also consistent at that.

It's okay to have your own opinion but to insult others for thinking differently makes you a right **** tbh.
  • cronaldo773
    2286 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 2015
    squaka_zpsaw1euhv7.png

What was that again? Did I hear Ribery was better than Bale?
  • Robert
    21723 posts Club Captain
    You're making it sound like he's a donkey with no technical or mental ability 4fs. He's a player who can create goals out of nothing all by himself and is a consistent provider of goals for his team either by scoring himself or assisting other players. Your making it sound like that's an overrated ability when that's what win you games.
  • Bluemoon
    15710 posts World Class
    worst passing display of my fifa career jesus christ
  • Baelexis
    1765 posts Play-Off Hero

You come across as very arrogant, for a start. Just because we don't agree with you, we 'don't watch football'? Oh, and trying to be fancy calling it 'calcio'. ****.

I've said it already, Ribéry is a brilliant footballer, and better technically. But the physical aspect of the game shouldn't be disregarded either. Bale's power & pace is a huge asset, and to add end product to that makes him lethal. This season he's not been at his best, no footballer is at their best every season. Bale's still young & is yet to hit his ceiling. Once he'd settled into Real Madrid last season, he had many great performances. Including winning goals in the CDR & CL finals, by the way. Just because he's a different type of player, that doesn't make him inferior. Also, his last season at Spurs he was absolutely unplayable. And also consistent at that.

It's okay to have your own opinion but to insult others for thinking differently makes you a right **** tbh.
    Preach it Saif ;)
  • Baelexis
    1765 posts Play-Off Hero
    squaka_zpsaw1euhv7.png

Loool. For the goals bit, why did u do left foot? No like Ribery is left footed :D
  • Sloosh
    6753 posts Big Money Move
    Bluemoon wrote: »
    worst passing display of my fifa career jesus christ

At the end of the day it's the points that matter!
  • D10S
    The biggest criticism of Bale is that he is not technically great nor is he a smart player. Very often he has tunnel vision and I am sure you have already seen where that has gotten Bale the past few months.

Pace and power is an asset but it is not the be-all and end-all of calcio. The most important trait is mental acuity followed by technique. You talk about Bale creating goals out of nothing and consistently providing assists and goals; this is exactly what I refer to when I talk about Bale's style of play being reliant solely on explosiveness and decisiveness. When has Bale ever had a performance similar to Ribéry against Barça or Ribéry against Dortmund? Never.

Bale absolutely was not a consistent player in his final season at Spurs. Lost in the sea of incredible match-winning goals was the fact that he was taking many hopeless pot-shots on goal and regularly providing little in between those decisive moments.

This is what I mean when I mention that you have to actually watch calcio to understand calcio. Bale is consistent in his end product when you look at it over the course of a season. Ribéry is the same. But you have to look past end product when you gauge the ability of a footballer.

Bale is not going to improve a lot from his current state, don't be ridiculous. He is not going to develop a stronger right foot, he will not develop better technique, he will not become a better passer overnight.

I find it amusing how you (@SaifR) insist that I am insulting others when all you have done is called me 'arrogant', '****', and '****' -- lord knows what that word was.

• Lautremer
    squaka_zpsaw1euhv7.png

kcmoup.jpg

YES!!! :lol: hate the new emoticon!
  • SaifR
    edited April 2015
    You insulted us for having an opinion. That's the difference.

Also I love how you know Bale won't improve. Would love to borrow your sfera di cristallo.
  • D10S
    If I wanted to insult you personally, I would have done so already. I could have called you 'idiot', I could have called you 'moron', I could have called you '****'.

But I do not insult people. I educate people. You should be grateful that I am taking my time to engage in debate with you.
  • SaifR
    If I wanted to insult you personally, I would have done so already. I could have called you 'idiot', I could have called you 'moron', I could have called you '****'.

But I do not insult people. I educate people. You should be grateful that I am taking my time to engage in debate with you.

Oh please.
  • Bowden.
  • D10S
    I apologise if I offended you in any way. Sometimes I am too quick to argue when I forget that not everyone can see the intricacies of calcio.
  • SaifR
    Your opinion of yourself is divertente.
  • cronaldo773
    squaka_zpsaw1euhv7.png

kcmoup.jpg

But Bale is now playing with the greatest player there ever was, there is, and that there ever will be: Cristiano Ronaldo. Only natural that his numbers go down a bit,

Also consider Bayern's style lends itself to all it's players having high passing numbers. That is Guardiola's style.

• Sloosh
    6753 posts Big Money Move
    it's the silent hard-working talents that go unnoticed in football today

ac87f8d0e86b95fefb7cb8b3ebc1dbe8.png
  • Lautremer
    squaka_zpsaw1euhv7.png

kcmoup.jpg

But Bale is now playing with the greatest player there ever was, there is, and that there ever will be: Cristiano Ronaldo. Only natural that his numbers go down a bit,

Also consider Bayern's style lends itself to all it's players having high passing numbers. That is Guardiola's style.

assists shouldn't count, my bad. guess that's just guardiola's style. so you were actually being serious about comparing stats of bale's best season with ribery 2014/2015?
    nvm muchos fun talking about calcio. I am out, sayonara!
  • cronaldo773
    squaka_zpsaw1euhv7.png

kcmoup.jpg

assists shouldn't count, my bad. guess that's just guardiola's style. so you were actually being serious about comparing stats of bale's best season with ribery 2014/2015?
    nvm muchos fun talking about calcio. I am out, sayonara!

assists are important, successful passes less so, total passes even less so.

Give me a team of Ronaldo's and Bale's and they will score goals, a team of Ribery's and Hazards well they will dribble alot and pass alot but that doesn't win games now does it?
This discussion has been closed.