Guide to the Christmas Tree Formation: 4-3-2-1

Comments

• xciljw
    5024 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2015
    l OwNz l wrote: »
    @xciljw great read! Hats off for sharing m8

@l OwNz l Thanks mate. Would share anything with the community, except for my login credentials and my PIN number. So I would even share my future wife. :lol:
  • xciljw
    Andre2908 wrote: »
    please someone can build me one around Lacazette???

not so expensive

@Andre2908 What is the budget and what console? I will try and make something decent.
  • CraigFWba
    1707 posts Play-Off Hero
    Great Guide, Appreciate the effort put into it.
  • Wanton
    77 posts Park Captain
    xciljw wrote: »
    Wanton wrote: »
    Ok the problem i have is when i get the ball to my mitfilders i often fee isolated and get pressured ... When i play the ball to the front tree it often gets intercepted so how you hold the possesion?

@Wanton Whenever you get pressured or there is no passing option available (when you feel isolated) remember there is always a way back that keeps you on the ball. It will never be possible that all 4 of your defenders are getting marked while a midfielder of you is on the ball. To avoid being pressured a pass back is often a good solution in general, because it gives you time to find the space to play through it.

For your problem up front, the ball often getting intercepted, it depends whether your passes are intercepted or whether they take the ball of the player who you passed the ball to. In the first case it is a matter of finding the right player to pass the ball to, a matter of making the right decision. Could be the case you are moving forward too quick as well. In the second case it is a matter of keeping the ball moving, while your players are moving.

It has been asked earlier whether I could make a vid of me playing the formation. I will try to do that tomorrow or on Tuesday, so I can have examples of how I play. Hopefully what I said up here helps already and the videos I will be adding in later can show you how it is played. In the end gameplay is way easier to understand how to do it then a plain text explanation.

Great thx m8 i played a bit slower now and it helped i won the game :) have to learn the formation a bit. A video would be mutch appreciated but thx again for the in dept response
  • xciljw
    Great Guide, Appreciate the effort put into it.

@CraigFWba Thanks a lot! Just trying to make the community enjoy the formation as much as I do. :wink:
  • iHowardy
    37 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I have a budget of 160k PS4 and totally lost faith in FIFA hoping this read will help me revitalise it, any ideas on a team?
  • xciljw
    iHowardy wrote: »
    I have a budget of 160k PS4 and totally lost faith in FIFA hoping this read will help me revitalise it, any ideas on a team?

@iHowardy I don't own a Playstation and therefore I have calculated with Xbox prices and made sure I am under the 160k planning you made, so higher prices will still allow you to get it. Hopefully you like it!

79ca487fe95b907a37d3fc8f11bd51e0.png
  • Andre2908
    142 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited November 2015

not so expensive

@Andre2908 What is the budget and what console? I will try and make something decent.

190k including lacazette ps4
    Post edited by Andre2908 on
  • Andre2908
    142 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited November 2015

• siavash777
    128 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    would you mind building a squad around Tevez for me ? 400k budget . I would like to give this formation a go , used this formation last year using KTZ777 guide
  • CraigFWba
    1707 posts Play-Off Hero

Be patient, people have lives away from fifa.
  • xciljw
    Going to answer the latest questions later. Just woke up and got to go to hospital this morning.
  • wijnaldum16
    3890 posts National Call-Up
    Alibongo wrote: »
    Anyone recommend Ramires as one of the left/right CMs?

Possibly. I prefer Fernandinho.

You reckon he's a better box-to-box player? Because my CCM is Gustavo and Vidal is on the other side.

@wijnaldum16 @Alibongo
    Both, Ramires and Fernandinho make a good left or right central midfielder. Have not used them in this formation yet, so I can't judge who will be better. Seems like it is a 50/50 situation, so it does not really matter who you choose. Both have their pros and cons compared to the other, but in general they are very similar.

If you want to compare them, click HERE.

Cheers mate. Although I might end up going with neither of them!
  • Bigmickey
    1354 posts Professional
    Great in depth guide dude. I've started playing with this formation so hopefully it will help me out because at the moment it's been a mit hit and miss for me.

I'm currently using:
    Cech
    Carvajal Varane Koscielny Evra
    Modric Vidal Pogba
    Robben Lewandowski Ribery

With Vidal being H/H it does leave me exposed so I was thinking of moving him to RCM, I'm just not sure who to replace him with without changing the left side of the team.

I've got 200k plus those players if I do change it, any ideas?
  • Alibongo
    1296 posts Professional
    Great in depth guide dude. I've started playing with this formation so hopefully it will help me out because at the moment it's been a mit hit and miss for me.

I'm currently using:
    Cech
    Modric Vidal Pogba

With Vidal being H/H it does leave me exposed so I was thinking of moving him to RCM, I'm just not sure who to replace him with without changing the left side of the team.

How about Guilavogui?
    M/H workrates, French and Bundesliga. Could be the perfect fit. Only downside - he isn't as "glamorous" as the rest of your team :p
  • xciljw

not so expensive

190k including lacazette ps4

4313c26e553f11e68c0190425635b7e8.png

From this point you can start upgrading with Buffon/Lloris, Chiellini, Marchisio. At the right side of the defence there is lots room for improvement as well. So Courtois goalie, Kompany CB for example or goalie Courtois with IF Zouma CB. Whenever you manage to save more coins you can upgrade gradually to a very nice team.
  • xciljw
    siavash777 wrote: »
    would you mind building a squad around Tevez for me ? 400k budget . I would like to give this formation a go , used this formation last year using KTZ777 guide

@siavash777 Didn't know whether you were playing PS or Xbox. In case you are PS you can downgrade to NIF Lamela if you won't make it:
    c23e03e6d5424e5f9abb61b3519969e3.png

I hope you like it.
  • xciljw
    Alibongo wrote: »

I'm currently using:
    Cech
    Modric Vidal Pogba

How about Guilavogui?
    M/H workrates, French and Bundesliga. Could be the perfect fit. Only downside - he isn't as "glamorous" as the rest of your team :p

@Bigmickey @Alibongo The problem in this case is the right side of the defence. Varane won't get full chemistry when you make Vidal RCM. The solution for this is replacing Cech by Lloris. To get Vidal on full chem he needs a strong link in CCM, so the spot must be filled with a Bayern player. The only serious solution for this position is Lahm, who has M/H workrates, who is good at defending, passing and dribbling. The only disadvantage of using Lahm is that he is really small and has a hard time when wanting to push a player off the ball. But Pogba and Vidal might make up for that. The team you get then is the following:

72dbdfb1ee7f62ac0e14188439274698.png

It is either that team or the team you had. Or you need to make more changes which could include changing the left side. But this will still get you using Lahm as CCM. Because you will get the following in that case:

2a866c1b2a1bff1e95dcdf79d95cf596.png

So it is either what you have, or including Lahm in CCM and turning it into one of the alternatives above (must admit that you can still play with Ribery in the 2nd team, but I prefer Reus myself).

Hope this helped a bit!
  • Barslund
    4644 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 2015
    To me it seems that the CCM is key to the formation, were it seems people are not agreeing on what plays best for them.

Personally I've found that a M/M jack of all trades guy like Parolo, Pjanic, Moutinho work really well.
    The CDM types are often a little to stiff and not good enough on the ball.

Need to try out Cabaye and Gerrard.

Seriously considering using Roy Keane as the all legends link would free up a lot of options.
  • Xtc
    5186 posts Big Money Move
    Barslund wrote: »
    To me it seems that the CCM is key to the formation, were it seems people are not agreeing on what plays best for them.

Personally I've found that a M/M jack of all trades guy like Parolo, Pjanic, Moutinho work really well.

Seriously considering using Roy Keane as the all legends link would free up a lot of options.

I think this is key as well. a legend would be ideal. PS 4 unfortunately
  • DSD27
    5712 posts Big Money Move
    The noobs ship through balls and pace abusers formation. Fortunately is not so effective this year.
  • xciljw
    Barslund wrote: »

@Barslund Agree that it is really helpful if it is a jack of all trades, but for me defending and passing are most important for this position. M/M is acceptable, but pefer defense workrates. Also depends on which CDM you use of course. There are CDMs that are better at defense then attack but still know how to give decent passes, have good ball control and can actually dribble very well.

Thanks for letting know how you feel about the formation and the CCM specifically. Can only have a positive effect on anyone using this!
  • Xtc
    5186 posts Big Money Move
    Vidal has been great ther. but he is great in any 3CM formation
  • xciljw
    DSD27 wrote: »
    The noobs ship through balls and pace abusers formation. Fortunately is not so effective this year.

@DSD27 That is why you should not use it like that. Just need to play on possession. Will have a gameplay vid ready in a couple of hours. Just recorded the game and it is uploading to YouTube now. :lol:
  • Amaterasu10
    98 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I think CCM must be big, and with a good pace more than 70, can attack and defend, or just instruct them to get foward and the other two stay back 4213 when you attack.

Toure, Pogba, Guarin, Vidal
  • Amaterasu10
    98 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @xciljw you leave the default tactic, so i assume you use offside trap.
  • Barslund
    4644 posts National Call-Up
    @xciljw , for a cheap CCM Javi Garcia has been playing extremely well for me, so still in doubt in what the optimal CCM is :)
  • jenksiee123
    21933 posts Club Captain
    47f57100ff1132aba37657e944e4f037.png

Using this atm and it's excellent. Used to hate this formation on 15 due to its narrowness but haven't had any issues with that so far.
  • xciljw
    I think CCM must be big, and with a good pace more than 70, can attack and defend, or just instruct them to get foward and the other two stay back 4213 when you attack.

Toure, Pogba, Guarin, Vidal
    @xciljw you leave the default tactic, so i assume you use offside trap.

@Amaterasu10 I have tried the CCM to be the defensive and offensive one. So in fact I have tried 4213 and 41221 and with 4213 I instructed the RCM and LCM to stay back instead of the CCM and it was so much harder then the other way around. That is why I prefer 41221.

The players you mentioned would fit in the formation perfectly. Just Touré I am not sure of because he has M/L workrates, so he might not really function as a box-to-box player. Pogba would in my case be a better RCM or LCM, just as Guarin. But probably (especially in the case of Pogba) he would fit in the center as well because he is so good. Vidal would be a perfect CCM.

If you are really interested in whether it is better as 4213 or 41221 you might would like to hear a story from @Chow, who is using 4321 and making it a custom formation, making the CCM more of a CDM and therefore the formation becoming 41221. As far as I know he really enjoys it.

• xciljw
    47f57100ff1132aba37657e944e4f037.png

Using this atm and it's excellent. Used to hate this formation on 15 due to its narrowness but haven't had any issues with that so far.

@jenksiee123 Lovely mixed silver/gold team you have there. Included in the first post under Community Teams, if you are fine with that, as I think it is very creative.