Messi - best player of all time? AKA Ballon d'Or Discussion 2015

Comments

  • The Humanoid Typhoon
    2941 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2015
    I think it's really stupid that people compare players based on numbers so frequently especially a player like Messi who might come around once every 50 years. And I definitely don't know why you would compare who has more passes when RM play on the counter and Barcelona play possession, it's a stupid comparison. The same goes for touches, Messi not only has tons of touches because of Barcelona's playstyle but because of his ridiculous dribbling. More touches, more goals, does not automatically make you the best.

    From what I've skimmed through here it's like I'm reading a thread about Baseball instead of Football, absurd numbers everywhere but mostly ignoring what players actually do on the pitch. Football isn't such a dull sport like Baseball that you could solely define a players career based on numbers.

  • DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think it's really stupid that people compare players based on numbers so frequently especially a player like Messi who might come around once every 50 years. And I definitely don't know why you would compare who has more passes when RM play on the counter and Barcelona play possession, it's a stupid comparison. The same goes for touches, Messi not only has tons of touches because of Barcelona's playstyle but because of his ridiculous dribbling. More touches, more goals, does not automatically make you the best.

    From what I've skimmed through here it's like I'm reading a thread about Baseball instead of Football, absurd numbers everywhere but mostly ignoring what players actually do on the pitch. Football isn't such a dull sport like Baseball that you could solely define a players career based on numbers.

    That's because there's no doubt Messi is better on the pitch. People use goal numbers to compare to show Ronaldo is better, so we just showing that even with numbers, Messi is still better
  • The Humanoid Typhoon
    2941 posts National Call-Up
    DeeJay-00 wrote: »
    I think it's really stupid that people compare players based on numbers so frequently especially a player like Messi who might come around once every 50 years. And I definitely don't know why you would compare who has more passes when RM play on the counter and Barcelona play possession, it's a stupid comparison. The same goes for touches, Messi not only has tons of touches because of Barcelona's playstyle but because of his ridiculous dribbling. More touches, more goals, does not automatically make you the best.

    From what I've skimmed through here it's like I'm reading a thread about Baseball instead of Football, absurd numbers everywhere but mostly ignoring what players actually do on the pitch. Football isn't such a dull sport like Baseball that you could solely define a players career based on numbers.

    That's because there's no doubt Messi is better on the pitch. People use goal numbers to compare to show Ronaldo is better, so we just showing that even with numbers, Messi is still better

    Anyone with any semblance of sanity should know that without the numbers. Messi at his worst is still better than Ronaldo at his best and I personally think the Ballon D'or is a massive sham.

  • D10S
    4500 posts National Call-Up
    I think it's really stupid that people compare players based on numbers so frequently especially a player like Messi who might come around once every 50 years. And I definitely don't know why you would compare who has more passes when RM play on the counter and Barcelona play possession, it's a stupid comparison. The same goes for touches, Messi not only has tons of touches because of Barcelona's playstyle but because of his ridiculous dribbling. More touches, more goals, does not automatically make you the best.

    From what I've skimmed through here it's like I'm reading a thread about Baseball instead of Football, absurd numbers everywhere but mostly ignoring what players actually do on the pitch. Football isn't such a dull sport like Baseball that you could solely define a players career based on numbers.
    What a stupid post.

  • Vela
    2924 posts Fans' Favourite
    BTW: Penaldo is closer to Neymar than he is to Messi nowadays.
  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    DeeJay-00 wrote: »
    I think it's really stupid that people compare players based on numbers so frequently especially a player like Messi who might come around once every 50 years. And I definitely don't know why you would compare who has more passes when RM play on the counter and Barcelona play possession, it's a stupid comparison. The same goes for touches, Messi not only has tons of touches because of Barcelona's playstyle but because of his ridiculous dribbling. More touches, more goals, does not automatically make you the best.

    From what I've skimmed through here it's like I'm reading a thread about Baseball instead of Football, absurd numbers everywhere but mostly ignoring what players actually do on the pitch. Football isn't such a dull sport like Baseball that you could solely define a players career based on numbers.

    That's because there's no doubt Messi is better on the pitch. People use goal numbers to compare to show Ronaldo is better, so we just showing that even with numbers, Messi is still better

    Anyone with any semblance of sanity should know that without the numbers. Messi at his worst is still better than Ronaldo at his best and I personally think the Ballon D'or is a massive sham.

    Never seen such a dumb sentence :joy:
  • Vela
    2924 posts Fans' Favourite
    I can't believe there was actually a time when people thought that since Messi was injured, that Penaldo would score a bunch of goals and sneak a few Ballon d'Or votes. He's played even worse while Messi was injured.
  • Jfo88
    22686 posts Club Captain
    Vela wrote: »
    I can't believe there was actually a time when people thought that since Messi was injured, that Penaldo would score a bunch of goals and sneak a few Ballon d'Or votes. He's played even worse while Messi was injured.

    What were you banned for d10s?
  • Vela
    2924 posts Fans' Favourite
    Long ****
  • PES
    5173 posts Big Money Move
    2,w=650,c=0.bild.jpg
  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    Vela wrote: »

    Neymar would be deserved mostly...
  • G000ner
    4331 posts National Call-Up
    Ronaldo was always gonna be in this year, next year is unlikely though. Let's hope some justice prevails and it's 1.Messi, 2.Neymar, 3. Ronaldo
  • Oliver16
    921 posts Semi-Pro
    CVPabd_XAAIy1m0.png
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    G000ner wrote: »
    Ronaldo was always gonna be in this year, next year is unlikely though. Let's hope some justice prevails and it's 1.Messi, 2.Neymar, 3. Ronaldo

    How can you say it's very unlikely that he'll be nominated next year when next year hasn't even started?

    I'm not saying it's likely, but it's also not unlikely, and definitely not very unlikely.
  • Vela
    2924 posts Fans' Favourite
    Rumplefish wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »
    Ronaldo was always gonna be in this year, next year is unlikely though. Let's hope some justice prevails and it's 1.Messi, 2.Neymar, 3. Ronaldo

    How can you say it's very unlikely that he'll be nominated next year when next year hasn't even started?

    I'm not saying it's likely, but it's also not unlikely, and definitely not very unlikely.

    **** fanboy
  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    Vela wrote: »
    Rumplefish wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »
    Ronaldo was always gonna be in this year, next year is unlikely though. Let's hope some justice prevails and it's 1.Messi, 2.Neymar, 3. Ronaldo

    How can you say it's very unlikely that he'll be nominated next year when next year hasn't even started?

    I'm not saying it's likely, but it's also not unlikely, and definitely not very unlikely.

    **** fanboy

    :o you dumb?
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    Ronaldo smacking them in for fun today, can't see how Messi can keep up with him.
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    Tamerlane wrote: »
    Ronaldo smacking them in for fun today, can't see how Messi can keep up with him.


    Classic.
  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    stickey wrote: »
    Tamerlane wrote: »
    Ronaldo smacking them in for fun today, can't see how Messi can keep up with him.


    Classic.

    Ibra is that you?
  • Vela
    2924 posts Fans' Favourite
    I have found an old version of the excel file btw, but it's from early September. it will be updated later
  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    Sloosh wrote: »
    hazard

    love it!
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    Vela wrote: »
    Rumplefish wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »
    Ronaldo was always gonna be in this year, next year is unlikely though. Let's hope some justice prevails and it's 1.Messi, 2.Neymar, 3. Ronaldo

    How can you say it's very unlikely that he'll be nominated next year when next year hasn't even started?

    I'm not saying it's likely, but it's also not unlikely, and definitely not very unlikely.

    **** fanboy

    :o you dumb?
    I really thought that by now he would've realised I'm a Barca fan.

    Guess I gave him too much credit
  • PVFCB97xD
    13142 posts Has That Special Something
    Rumplefish wrote: »
    PVFCB97xD wrote: »
    Vela wrote: »
    Rumplefish wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »
    Ronaldo was always gonna be in this year, next year is unlikely though. Let's hope some justice prevails and it's 1.Messi, 2.Neymar, 3. Ronaldo

    How can you say it's very unlikely that he'll be nominated next year when next year hasn't even started?

    I'm not saying it's likely, but it's also not unlikely, and definitely not very unlikely.

    **** fanboy

    :o you dumb?
    I really thought that by now he would've realised I'm a Barca fan.

    Guess I gave him too much credit

    :D
  • Vela
    2924 posts Fans' Favourite
  • Vela wrote: »
    JP3x9IX.png
    @Asad97
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    The Gunslinger has the most goals from open play in 2015 :notworthy:
  • Vela
    2924 posts Fans' Favourite
    Tamerlane wrote: »
    The Gunslinger has the most goals from open play in 2015 :notworthy:
    Lewandowski probably does
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    Vela wrote: »
    Tamerlane wrote: »
    The Gunslinger has the most goals from open play in 2015 :notworthy:
    Lewandowski probably does
    He has 38, I think-23 this year + 15 from last year, I think. I got that from Soccerbase and excluded international goals, so I don't know if that includes every competition you would track.
This discussion has been closed.