AI's Chance Creation Mediocre and Unrealistic

Before creating this new discussion I've browsed through all of the already created discussions in the Career Mode section, however none of them seemed to be covering the problems I've encountered so far.

First of all I want to explain that my problem isn't the AI mightily keeping possession (no matter what team you play against) and/or passing it around the back. In fact, I believe that's a great new addition, because it's realistic. I personally strive to always keep a career mode as realistic as possible, but the AI makes playing games incredibly repetitive and boring when they're the ones going on the attack.

My main issue is what the AI does with their possession when they enter my final third. Instead of patiently working their way towards a viable opportunity they seem adamant to suddenly rush their play, which is very much unlike their style of play when in possession on their own half; it's as if the AI starts to panic when they actually have to score a goal. To be fair, I feel the AI's crossing abilities are fair this year; still quite strong, but not as overpowered as previous installments. Most AI generated attacks through build-up however end in two or three (almost always off balance pirouette passes) first time passes to a first time shot, which is usually taken from around the edge of the box. Then one of two things happens: the shot is simply terrible (easily saved by my goalkeeper or way wide and/or over the goal) or it somehow inexplicably finds its way into the goal. Something you simply do not see in real life football, not to these extremes, anyway.

For the record, I'm playing on Legendary difficulty, but I still find the AI incredibly underwhelming offensively. I like the improvements Fifa 16 has brought with regards to the AI's defensive abilities, because I find myself struggling to score goals more frequently than last year, but that isn't enough for me. With the game set on it's (supposedly) most challenging difficulty I not only find the AI's game-play weak, I find it boring and off-putting to play games and therefor career mode as a whole.

I haven't yet experimented with sliders, because quite frankly I didn't think EA's set sliders could be as bland as they appear to be in game. Have some of you experimented with sliders such as CPU shot frequency or CPU shot error yet? Have any of you even had similar problems like that ones I've been experiencing? If so (and I can't believe I feel the need to ask this), what have you tried to improve the AI's attacking performance? And have you had any successes (or failures) that may help me have more fun with this game mode? Because so far it looks like it's going to be predominantly FUT for me this year.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CosmoKramer
    66 posts Park Captain
    I started to write a similar thread about a week back but didn't post it, I'm similarly frustrated with this aspect of FIFA. I found 15 to be the same too, I rarely concede any goals as the CPU just don't make any headway beyond the halfway line. I played Legendary in 15 but am on world class on 16. I have played with the sliders according to some setups found online but it doesn't really seem to have had the effect I wanted. I play locked to a player which I fear might be a major cause of the problem - the CPU controlling my defence is way better than me controlling it. The real problem I have is making the opposition attack stronger without also making their defence rIdiculously OP.
  • I started to write a similar thread about a week back but didn't post it, I'm similarly frustrated with this aspect of FIFA. I found 15 to be the same too, I rarely concede any goals as the CPU just don't make any headway beyond the halfway line. I played Legendary in 15 but am on world class on 16. I have played with the sliders according to some setups found online but it doesn't really seem to have had the effect I wanted. I play locked to a player which I fear might be a major cause of the problem - the CPU controlling my defence is way better than me controlling it. The real problem I have is making the opposition attack stronger without also making their defence rIdiculously OP.

Hmm. I do play as the whole team, but I haven't experienced any defensive issues because of it. I too had similar issues last year, with easily winning the Serie A title with Cagliari in my first season on Legendary being the pinnacle of that problem. This year, however, I find scoring goals significantly more challenging, which I feel is a good thing. But yeah, like I said the main problem is the AI's attacking decision making and prowess overall.

What kind of sliders did you try? Any changes you recommend me to try myself or (more likely) to stay away from?
  • CosmoKramer
    66 posts Park Captain
    Yeah I've been finding scoring goals tougher this year, somewhat because of the reduction in pace differential, which has been a welcome change. But the CPU still seems to struggle to create chances so much so that I got halfway through my first season without conceding.

I find that the pace is a bit too unrealistic in that any defender now manages to outpace a lightning quick winger so I had adjusted the sliders for acceleration and sprint speed up for user and down for CPU slightly. I dropped first touch error and pass error a bit as in the beta it was ridiculous, though is improved in the released game. That was about all I did for season 1 but was obviously too much against the CPU. For the next season I've tried the settings from these guys:-

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-fifa-sliders/855682-fifa-16-os-community-sliders.html

So far I've only done pre-season and while it has been a bit better it's still not as challenging (defensively) as I'd like so I'll maybe try dropping the user defence sliders a bit to make them more error-prone.

I like to play with a high press which may be a bit of a cause too but am loathed to change tactics to make the situation better, decent teams should be able to find a way to beat the high press and play out of the back and get in behind my team.

If I get any success with the sliders I'll post back on here with the changes but I find it hard to know when I've hit on a good thing as every game is different.
  • Turning up the Run Frequency (75) helps out a bit. The CPU will actually counter attack more instead of just pinging the ball around and trying a shot from outside the box that is always off target.
  • CosmoKramer
    66 posts Park Captain
    Inferno2ss wrote: »
    Turning up the Run Frequency (75) helps out a bit. The CPU will actually counter attack more instead of just pinging the ball around and trying a shot from outside the box that is always off target.

Good call, I'll try that. I have upped the sliders a bit for the CPU and it seems to have helped but I'm still not quite there. I might try going back to legendary in the hope that CPU plays with a bit more flair.