OT: airline offered to upgrade to first class from New York to Stokholm for $400. Should I take it?

LuckyStrikE
3484 posts National Call-Up
I'm on the fence. Is it worth it? They are offering it because of a 3 hour delay.

Comments

• maymanpele
    14470 posts Has That Special Something
    No, buy fifa points instead
  • Neymessi
    13058 posts Has That Special Something
    maymanpele wrote: »
    No, buy fifa points instead

• LuckyStrikE
    edited October 2015
    Lol. I was about to post that I could get Fifa points instead.
  • LuckyStrikE
    There's some nice Swedish girls on this flight.
  • Yoshi
    3932 posts National Call-Up
    so is the choice get first class or you get 400? Or is it 400 to upgrade to first class? Sorry I'm a peasant and never fly first class haha
  • Mike_Pickford
    3868 posts National Call-Up
    Anytime I can upgrade to first class for less than $500 when I get to the airport I do it, especially for long distance trips. It's all about how much you value your comfort. Personally, I'd rather pay the money and be fed nice food while sitting in a comfortable seat at the front of the plane than save a few bucks and be crammed into the back. Depends on your size too... I'm a bigger guy, so the space thing is a pretty big deal for me.
  • LuckyStrikE
    Yoshi wrote: »
    so is the choice get first class or you get 400? Or is it 400 to upgrade to first class? Sorry I'm a peasant and never fly first class haha
    I have an economy ticket. It would cost me 400 to upgrade to first class. They gave us 15 dollar meal tickets for the 3 hour delay and this offer.

• Mike_Pickford
    3868 posts National Call-Up
    Anytime I can upgrade to first class for less than $500 when I get to the airport I do it, especially for long distance trips. It's all about how much you value your comfort. Personally, I'd rather pay the money and be fed nice food while sitting in a comfortable seat at the front of the plane than save a few bucks and be crammed into the back. Depends on your size too... I'm a bigger guy, so the space thing is a pretty big deal for me.

Edit - Does it include return? If not, $400 one way is pretty expensive.
  • LuckyStrikE
    It's an 8 hour flight. This is also a factor.
  • maymanpele
    14470 posts Has That Special Something
    I have an economy ticket. It would cost me 400 to upgrade to first class. They gave us 15 dollar meal tickets for the 3 hour delay and this offer.

Get first class, invite a pretty swedish girl to the bathroom, take pics, post here.
  • LuckyStrikE
    It's one way and I am 6 feet 2 inches 250 pounds.
  • LuckyStrikE
    I paid 700 for the economy round trip.
  • LuckyStrikE

How much is a first class flight to sweden from new york. I'm assuming it would be like 2k.
  • Yoshi
    I'm a cheapo IRL and try to conserve as much as possible. I laugh at spending 400 for first class but that's just me. When I was 16, I had a trip from Dallas to Germany and it wasn't that bad in economy.

The thing is, if you have a disposable 400, I guess I'd do it. Having free legroom and great meals would be great especially for an 8 hour flight. No clue on how cheap 400 is considering it is one way
  • LuckyStrikE
    Eff it. I had lower back and both knees undergo surgery. I think it's worth the comfort.
  • Fleshgod
    872 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited October 2015
    Don't do it. Just snipe the seat that has the break infront of it if it's a 747 (then you have mad leg room and a fatter wallet). Food is terrible in first class anyway and no meal is worth 400$ unless it's got Kobe beef - just eat before you get on the plane if it's life threatening to not eat for 8 hours. I snipe these seats in particular on long flights as you can stretch and use your bag as an auttamun (sorry?).

Visual:

||| |||| |||
    ||| |||| |||
    ||| |||| ||| < - these seats
    ||| |||| |||
  • LuckyStrikE
    edited October 2015
    Fleshgod wrote: »
    Don't do it. Just snipe the seat that has the break infront of it if it's a 747 (then you have mad leg room and a fatter wallet). Food is terrible in first class anyway and no meal is worth 400$ unless it's got Kobe beef - just eat before you get on the plane if it's life threatening to not eat for 8 hours. I snipe these seats in particular on long flights as you can stretch and use your bag as an auttamun (sorry?).

Visual:

||| |||| |||
    ||| |||| |||
    ||| |||| ||| < - these seats
    ||| |||| |||

Lol. I do this also. I already checked and there is none free. Only reason I'm considering it.
  • Yoshi
    you guys snipe IRL. That is impressive
  • LuckyStrikE
    I already got it. Just waiting to board in an hour...soooo boring here.
  • Fleshgod
    872 posts An Exciting Prospect
    you guys snipe IRL. That is impressive

FIFA sniping has a lot of real life applications
    - University classes
    - Airplane seats
    - Parking spots
  • MeanOnSunday
    1536 posts Play-Off Hero

How much is a first class flight to sweden from new york. I'm assuming it would be like 2k.

2k? More like 7-10k

• lemonpie
    269 posts Sunday League Hero
    Not sure if you meant you got the first class ticket already in the post but upgrade now if you haven't. 400 dollar extra to get from econonmy to first is a steal
  • TORZADO
    5159 posts Big Money Move
    F that
  • Sercs
    19194 posts World Class
    no
  • ha032742
    38223 posts Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Yes

So much better in first class though definitely not worth the true price of a ticket but the reduced rate you got is reasonable considering it's a long haul flight.

No kids (usually), more attentive stewardesses, china plates, free truly unlimited bar, free kitchen, bigger seats that can be converted to beds. If you're working the next day, I wouldn't hesitate.
  • LukaModric14
    341 posts Sunday League Hero
    What would it have normally cost you had you not got this discount?
  • ORANGEeffect05
    26122 posts Player of the Year
    Yes, flight across the pond is miserable
  • ha032742
    38223 posts Moderator
    What would it have normally cost you had you not got this discount?

Usually a grand minimum on top of the normal economy price...more if a popular route.
  • PochBall
    17397 posts World Class
    Lol who cares?
  • BENVCR
    653 posts Sunday League Hero
    Do it! I used to do 6-8 hour flight 4-5 times a year, at Xmas on my way home my uncle would come to check in with me and upgrade me for free with his points(he flew like across Canada weekly for his job, has baller levels of points), was always so much easier to both get through the flight and also to adapt to ur new surroundings, because on a flight like that u probably wanna sleep and it's much easier in a super comfy recliner with unlimited booze to wear you down, than crammed into cattle class with babies and fat people.