OT: What Makes A Club "Big" And Who Are The "Biggest" Clubs In The World?

Napsamdo
418 posts Sunday League Hero
edited April 2015
Define "big" and what makes a club such. Got started on this topic in another thread, someone said Man City wasn't "big" enough to attract Pep. I would disagree with 1. That Man City would not attract Pep and 2. "Big" is such a loose term thrown around, that it lacks meaning. So, define what makes a club "big" and list the "biggest" clubs in the world AT THE MOMENT. I know this last part may show my bias in the argument but interested to hear from you all.

Comments

• WFCBagnall
    77399 posts Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Money, money, money

History

Fan base

• Bock McClock
    1360 posts Professional
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Money, money, money

History

Fan base

Basically this.

Imo the biggest clubs atm are Barca, RM, United, Bayern, and Chelsea. Probably the next tier is something like Liverpool, Juventus, PSG, etc.
  • Thomas
    3044 posts National Call-Up
    history, fans+++..

it is so much that determine what is a big club, and it is different for every single person.

For me, aston villa is a big club, but manchester city is not.

City is just in the top of england atm due to rich owners, they will never become a big club in my eyes. they never have, and never will.

• SHEARER_9
    682 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Thomas wrote: »
    history, fans+++..

it is so much that determine what is a big club, and it is different for every single person.

City is just in the top of england atm due to rich owners, they will never become a big club in my eyes. they never have, and never will.

Villa bigger then Man City... Typical United fan

• Thomas
    edited April 2015
    SHEARER_9 wrote: »
    history, fans+++..

If you look on their history, villa is a much bigger club than city.

liverpool is also a much bigger club than city, but, currently city is better.
    would you say that makes city a bigger club?

before the rich owners came to city, and they won the league 3 years ago, would you ever have considered city a big club?

doubt it.

stop saying stupid stuff like "typical united fan"... are you that mentally challenged you can't come with something better?
  • SHEARER_9
    682 posts An Exciting Prospect
    history, fans+++..

liverpool is also a much bigger club than city.

before the rich owners came to city, and they won the league 3 years ago, would you ever have considered city a big club?

doubt it.

stop saying stupid stuff like "typical united fan"... are you that mentally challenged you can't come with something better?

I consider Man City a big club, you don't win 2 PL titles in 3 years not being a big club, Chelsea didn't win much before abramovich bought them, but now they are one of the slowly one of biggest clubs in the world

No need to get salty and accuse me of having mental problems.. Lol
  • Thomas
    edited April 2015
    history, fans+++..

liverpool is also a much bigger club than city.

doubt it.

I consider Man City a big club, you don't win 2 PL titles in 3 years not being a big club, Chelsea didn't win much before abramovich bought them, but now they are one of the slowly one of biggest clubs in the world

No need to get salty and accuse me of having mental problems.. Lol

I think you have misunderstood what it means to be big.

Being big, means the club has a rich history, in both good and bad.

just because city has won the league 2 times in the last 3 years, that doesn't mean they're big.
    That means they are currently good, but they arn't big.

and it wasn't me who started by saying stupid stuff like "typical united fan".

based on your name, I assume you're a newcastle fan.
    I never said anything bad about your club, and I never have, so why the hell do you say some stupid bs to me, without knowing me at all?

• WagWagg
    530 posts An Exciting Prospect
    History >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Money
  • cronaldo773
    2286 posts Fans' Favourite
    Loads of plastic "supporters" all around the world that will stop by the grounds on their vacation and snap selfies in the stands.

#AgainstModernFootball
  • WagWagg
    Loads of plastic "supporters" all around the world that will stop by the grounds on their vacation and snap selfies in the stands.

#AgainstModernFootball

Can a supporter be plastic? If they show their support for a team, whats plastic about it?
    Who cares where they are from.
  • chaz
    1905 posts Play-Off Hero
    WagWagg wrote: »
    Yeh but history is created by money nowadays. Like Chelsea winning the champions league or City winning the league for example.

To say Man City currently aren't a big club and never will be is a wee bit silly. I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with the guy being a 'supporter' of their rivals. :)
  • Thomas
    edited April 2015
    chaz wrote: »
    Yeh but history is created by money nowadays. Like Chelsea winning the champions league or City winning the league for example.

To say Man City currently aren't a big club and never will be is a wee bit silly. I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with the guy being a 'supporter' of their rivals. :)

Well, saying that they never will be, might be a lie.

But it is true they are not a big club.

just because they are currently good, due to having stupidly rich owners doesn't mean they are a big club.

being a big club is about the clubs history, and that is why a club like Aston Villa is a bigger club than city.

it has nothing to do with be being a united fan, that I'm saying city isn't a big club.

• Quaresma
    466 posts Sunday League Hero
    To me clubs with the best players on it currently
  • Raistlin
    1405 posts Professional
    The supporters of teams with good histories will say history is what makes them big

Those with current success and poor history will claim its current success

People will believe what is best for them, there is no set answer
  • WagWagg
    Raistlin wrote: »
    The supporters of teams with good histories will say history is what makes them big

What about those with money, current and past success? :wink:

• P1stolpete187
    5954 posts Big Money Move
    I wouldn't say city are a big club they have a lot of money but is that all its about? Barca, Real, Bayern, Juve, Milan, Man U and Liverpool I would class as big clubs although Pool are starting to lose that tag if City keep building then one day they will become a big club.
  • Danielpretti
    46 posts Park Captain
    And is fun how the world of football goes just around Europe. What about south America? I mean clubs like Santos, Boca Juniors, Penarol, are just as big as Man Utd or Barcelona.
  • Raistlin
    1405 posts Professional
    Raistlin wrote: »

What about those with money, current and past success? :wink:

When debating with say a city fan, im sure history is what is more important, if with say a liverpool fan Im sure you will point out recency
  • VICTAAAA
    11215 posts Has That Special Something
    i think in therms of soccer there are only 3 truly "BIG" clubs in the world: Real, Barca and Man U. in addition to those 3 clubs, there only 2 other sport entities that are so "big": the Lakers and Yankees.

"big" to me is beyond money, talent and history: it has to a brand. if non sports fans can recognize you're logo, that's when a club/team is big.
  • cronaldo773
    2286 posts Fans' Favourite

#AgainstModernFootball

Can a supporter be plastic? If they show their support for a team, whats plastic about it?

Anyone can purchase a ticket, a kit, and take selfies in the first row. The question is whether you will say you're a Lazio fan in a bar full of Romanistas. Are you ready to mash some people up even when you aren't in a group? You against 20 others defending your honour and your clubs.
  • Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    Anyone can purchase a ticket, a kit, and take selfies in the first row. The question is whether you will say you're a Lazio fan in a bar full of Romanistas. Are you ready to mash some people up even when you aren't in a group? You against 20 others defending your honour and your clubs.

I know modern sport is very much the replacement for Neanderthal's your tribe against my tribe way of thinking but still.... how barbaric can you be?
  • Disgruntledmole
    1424 posts Play-Off Hero
    TBH I don't really know what it is but I'd say Barca, RM and Bayern are the 'biggest' clubs, followed by Chelsea, United and City.
  • Napsamdo

#AgainstModernFootball

You sound like a tough ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Napsamdo
    edited April 2015
    For me, when someone says a "big" club, it means what is their current status? Are they winning? Are they drawing the best talent in the world? Are they financially strong?

Every club has a fan base. Every club has die hard supporters. Which they have for one sole reason; representing a city their fans live through.

That fan base grows for reasons every BPL supporter loves to throw in some rival club supporters' face, then call them "plastic"; winning, money, and success.

There is a huge difference to me in calling a club "big" and recalling their history. If you are going to try and tell me AC Milan is currently a "big" club, thank you for the laugh. However, their history is immense.

• Peake
    894 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Trophies - from since the club was formed

Recent league standings - for the last 15-20 years I'd say

Fan base - attendances and also global fans

Money - revenue. Not how rich your owner is, that's ridiculous.

Man Utd could finish outside the top 4 for 3 or 4 years and still be the biggest club in England. Like how Liverpool are still the 3rd/4th biggest club and they've not been in the champions league much at all over the last 10 years.
  • Money, history, and popularity.
  • you could also throw success in there
  • MeanOnSunday
    1536 posts Play-Off Hero
    Peake wrote: »
    Like how Liverpool are still the 3rd/4th biggest club and they've not been in the champions league much at all over the last 10 years.

Fact check; Liverpool have been in the Champions League 6 out of the last 10 years, one win, one loss in the final and another in the semi.

• Mike_Pickford
    3827 posts National Call-Up
    I'm assuming Nottingham Forest is one of the biggest clubs in world football then too, eh lads.

People just don't seem to like it nowadays when clubs come in and start to compete at the top. They allow the media to sway their minds and all of a sudden it's "you bought your success", "you'll never be a big club". What actually truly defines a big club? Revenue? Success? Current squad? Hype? There are so many ways to spin this and the problem is people have their own personal bias. Of course United fans, Liverpool fans etc. aren't going to say the likes of City and Chelsea are big clubs. Reason? Because the likes of City and Chelsea are looking to take their spots and these fans/teams don't like it.

This whole idea that you're not a big club if money comes in and you try to buy it is ludicrous. How did United become a 'big club' in the early 80's and 90's? I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact they would go out and spend world-record fees on the likes of Bryan Robson, Roy Keane and Andy Cole. I can remember a time when Old Trafford was half empty on match days. It takes a bloody long time to build a club up...United were fortunate that they capitalized during the beginning of the Premier League era, Liverpool too. Face it, City and Chelsea are doing the exact same thing as Liverpool and United had do to. The only issue is they're having to do it 20-30 years later.

For me, because I know all about our history, good and bad, City are a big club. We were a big club before the Sheikh's came in and bought us. That's part of the reason we were such an attractive proposition. Good fan base, decent history, fantastic potential. It would be silly for me to suggest City were on the level of Barca, Madrid and Bayern Munich, but I definitely believe we're up there with the rest. Our rising revenues are a testament to just how big we're becoming.

Rant over.
  • Shane
    24095 posts Player of the Year
    Real, Barca and United are the 3 biggest in my opinion