Am I Now Too Old To Play FIFA At A Decent Level.

Comments

• svatocraft
    135 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    KaiserFC wrote: »
    [
    Same here, just cant seem to perform in fut champs but not sure if its me or lag/input issues

I very rarely have lag or input issues, so in my case it is definitely me. Or the players I’ve played against. They were all better than me. Only managed two wins in WL qualification twice, have been never so bad in FIFA 22…

• svatocraft
    442. no tactics. just play
    You’re in div 2 (as you wrote a few comments later) with default 442 without custom tactics? That’s pretty impressive!
    Isn’t the defense too weak with only the 2 cbs staying back? I always have the feeling I need at least 3 defenders staying back to not get countered all the time…

• 41 here also been around since FIFA international soccer on the mega drive days..suppose it depends on what you consider a decent level..I was div 2 last FIFA and stopped every WL at 11 wins.div 5 this year and just qualified first time now for WL...like others in here have less time to play nowadays with kids and wife and work..but still enjoy playing..I know I not the best far from it..but still enjoy the game and the challenge after a week of grafting at work....get a few beers down whilst playing..find this game is a decent way to unwind after a long shift..I know that sound strange lol...don't honestly think can ever be to old to play and enjoy aslong as don't expect to go pro at my age
  • ScootEvil30
    287 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm 44 and got 11-4 last weekend and a few wins shy of div3.
  • Neil_14
    3511 posts National Call-Up
    34 here, I was a regular at 11 wins last year but never made 14, best finish i got was 13 wins.

The best I've got so far this year is 10 wins although I am on next gen which is apparently more difficult.

I used to be able to win Division 1 league titles back when FUT started out like 12 or 13 years ago, I have gone downhill for sure but I'm content with my ability.

The moment I struggle to score goals is the moment I'll quit.
  • jplumber
    2112 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’m 46 and usually in elite division, this year stuck in div 3 so far but I’m sure that will change at some point. Keep going!
  • Thurlow9984
    472 posts Sunday League Hero
    Ironically I feel like I'm getting better now and I'm 37 🤣 never really been much of an online player and slowly improving last couple years only in Div 7 right now, but I expect to be close to Div 5 soon I don't play Rivals that often and loads of my games have been close contested draws. I'd say 3-4 years ago I struggled to get into Div 7 even with Promotion and Relegation
  • Ruprecht
    997 posts Semi-Pro
    40 and got to div 4 last night won 3/3 in all hard games that I was behind in. I may be proved wrong (haven’t played a game in 4 yet) but I reckon it’ll get slightly easier now. 5 was a massive step up in quality from the divisions below it and possibly players that would have been stuck there have breezed through by playing more games earlier than the rest of us.

Saying this in hope more than anything tho but my guess is 4/3 fine, 2/1 elite, torture.
  • nextqprmanager
    3790 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2022
    Hardly played this Fifa, Div 7, enjoyed it so far. It`s difficult to get better only playing 3 matches once or twice a week. I do feel frustrated when I can`t bloody switch! [ player ] ; but maybe that`s not me??.
    No grind now, no money spent, just enjoy. My main enjoyment is building different non-meta teams, messing with tactics & then winning!. Started with Fifa 96.
    Post edited by nextqprmanager on
  • SeanDycheIsGod
    347 posts Sunday League Hero
    never change, any of u
  • Smashed_It_Bro
    374 posts Sunday League Hero
    Possibly the best thread I have ever made on any forum. GGs guys
  • kj08
    494 posts An Exciting Prospect
    41 here and i was awesome with fifa since fut12. Used to win local tourneys but i dont play as much and when i play i just get destroyed. I haven't adapted to new gameplay. Biggest issues is giving away ball with lazy passes and skill moves.

Here is something real that might help.

1) stop using run trigger in midfield, even in attack till you get used to not running. Just give up R2 button when you have the ball.

2) some players actually change whole game. Like varane in 21, higuain before that etc. This year, benzema is that i feel. Ignore his stats and just buy him. Meta players is actually a thing.

3) 5atb is forgiving formation. Use it till you get hang of the game.

Besides that i need tons of help myself to get better.
  • xxFifaLegendxxx
    3179 posts National Call-Up
    Boysie91 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being in div 5 this early I'm in the same boat as you right now and I'm not sweating it.

Agreed, I'm currently div 4 but I took a 2 year break, hoping to get back up there to 2 hopefully with time. I don't think age is something that affects gaming personally, I've seen a few comp players in other games in their 40s/50s. Just gotta keep at it, learn from mistakes and get better each game
  • Miigue
    1379 posts Professional
    37 is far from old
  • Gogs
    815 posts Semi-Pro
    You are not too old my friend. I am 38 with wife and 2 kids. The thing is, we are now in the moment in life where we can't invest so much time to get better in the game. And this fifa is very different. After 3 weeks i realized i can't play it like fifa 22. Keep it simple, 2-3 formations you like with simple Player instructions and just play, It's the only way to get better. Age ist just a number. You are never to old to do what you love.
  • ImAtrocious
    3199 posts National Call-Up
    Boysie91 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being in div 5 this early I'm in the same boat as you right now and I'm not sweating it.

Agreed, I'm currently div 4 but I took a 2 year break, hoping to get back up there to 2 hopefully with time. I don't think age is something that affects gaming personally, I've seen a few comp players in other games in their 40s/50s. Just gotta keep at it, learn from mistakes and get better each game

I've noticed that breaks really take a lot out of me. Taking off 21 made the start of 22 really tough. Eventually, it starts to come back to you.
  • Radraptor
    1946 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’m 40 and have always been pretty good but been struggling with this one. I’m stuck in Div 7 and keep getting smashed by skillers. Don’t play meta and just want to play some good football but it’s hard. The formation that I like right now is 4-5-1 but not sure if that’s the right formation to play or not.
  • Hnka
    7 posts Ball Boy
    41 div 5 absolutely getting hammered
    had bit free time tonight been messing with settings and setup's and formations just for fun see the difference think i played 20 games not won 1🤣
    For some reason the game play bugs me but not played since 2019 played all from beginning before that this one looks nice but there is like there is something off with it this year i think our reaction time is not to bad despite being old i think it has more to do with the mechanics of the game after my experiments this evening but going to just enjoy playing for little while longer see how it develops but in reality i miss the older ones but this one can be good fun.
    The older we get the more we understand fifa is not the world and loosing constantly is just funny although never happens before for all those years i played i lost ao many in row as with this one but life goes on and luckily i have other things in my life to make me happy
  • Dr_Kananga1
    38 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Im 44, trick is find a playing style you like, stick to it and don't try and play other peoples game.

Im no skiller, but play a good passing game.
  • svatocraft
    Im 44, trick is find a playing style you like, stick to it and don't try and play other peoples game.

Im no skiller, but play a good passing game.

Me too but I can’t commit to a formation and tactic I like. Always messing around with the settings…

• Bayaeraking408
    1724 posts Fans' Favourite
    38 div 6 just noticed never have I gotten do div 1 been playing since like 2012 but again never really tried always stayed in div 4 or 3
  • Gilly04
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    Who’s gonna start to the old man’s friendly league then (for when the fifa bs gets too much in wl) jump on nice chilled game would be a good option for us old boys
    (Xbox new gen )
  • paul24878306
    5787 posts Big Money Move
    Age doesn't help lol... BUT I'm in div 4. I've qualified for champs for the first time since the format changed (though to be fair I only tried twice last year).

I'm 55
  • paul24878306
    5787 posts Big Money Move
    Skill gap is gone this game.

Theres the main problem.

Opponents you would easily beat before are now being helped by both AI defending and slow unresposive attacking mechanics.

I feel like you have made a great point there... I watched a pro basically say never use the tackle button just run into the opposition and let the computer take the ball..... it actually works its mad.

If you can master Running Jockey on 23 its almost impossible to score.

That's worked since at least fifa 18
  • Sjonhinho
    589 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Lovely to see there is a future for me playing FIFA (or whatever it will be called then) with my 32 years.
    Do any of you share a club with your kids? That'd be my ultimate dream to have with me and my kid.
  • Humma78
    2726 posts Fans' Favourite
    Guess my age by my user name lol my reactions are definitely decreasing and my vision is fuxed but I'm Div 2 at the moment. But I'm struggling for a team.

An over 40s league sounds like a great idea.
  • marktko
    466 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Hit the big 50 this year and like you been playing since the mega drive and fifa 10 after playing pes in between.

I got up division 1/2 yoyoing but stopped playing fifa for first time ever in February as was sick of the game which had no sense of realism any more. Regular games that were 6-4 etc....

I was waiting to see great reviews for 23 to start playing again but the problems seem to persist??
  • Hnka
    7 posts Ball Boy
    > @Sjonhinho said:
    > Lovely to see there is a future for me playing FIFA (or whatever it will be called then) with my 32 years.
    > Do any of you share a club with your kids? That'd be my ultimate dream to have with me and my kid.

yes i used to but my boy is 24now and is having his own kids these days he gave up on fifa few years back after fifa 17 i think he has not played much fifa since then
    plays more other games and competes in them with his team not much time for playing with the old man these days
  • JFK147
    443 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I have just turned 50 and over the last couple of editions I have made it to Divs1 and 2.