Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Tornado31619
    34682 posts National Team Captain
    The wind could blow the wrong way and @Low Ki would write think-pieces on how God’s a biased liar. :lol:
  • xHades
    14901 posts Has That Special Something
    Anyway moving on, I hope this match helps Rashford mentally in front of goal. Was fed lovely balls to do it, but he scuffed a lot of bread and butter chances the last few weeks.
  • xHades
    edited September 4
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Anyway moving on, I hope this match helps Rashford mentally in front of goal. Was fed lovely balls to do it, but he scuffed a lot of bread and butter chances the last few weeks.

That was Klopp in one of his rants between complaining about ad billboards and BT Sports.

It's not that hard to type whats on my mind.

Just don't tell my manager since I'm currently on the clock.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4601 posts National Call-Up
    With that wording technically every match is "for the taking" regardless of who the teams are until one team has a moment they are able to capitalise on.

Dominating with possession a high line means nothing if you get smacked on the counter because your team can't cope with it and you can't hit a shot on target. So I'm not sure what was there "for the taking" if you can't make the most of your possession.

Or do you think Pep dominated possession vs Villa when his team kept resetting play with passes to their CB's over and over yesterday? No one rates "dominating" possession if you can't convert it with your poor shooting peppering row Z.

We sure as hell know about that from last season when we played wretchedly so we know firsthand that there was nothing "for the taking" today for you.

Arteta said we weren't ruthless enough in our final pass and didn't make the right decisions in the final third though. The game wouldn't be there for the taking if we hadn't dominated possession up until being able to have the chance of taking the right action in the box. Using last season's game at OT as an example we scored and then sat off for 35 minutes allowing United to build up enough momentum to create chances, before doing the same again in the second half for a completely deserved loss in a game which was in no way there for the taking due both to our poor possession play and United's ability to create chances v a low block.

You're being really pedantic on what he's said and I'm not sure why.
  • xHades
    I think you're confusing 'werent ruthless enough' with 'couldnt be ruthless enough'.

One implies that you were in the drivers seat just because you had possession irresepective of what you do with it. The second implies that Arsenal treated possession like a dog with a typewriter.
  • Kman
    4369 posts National Call-Up
    I felt like outside the Saka goal Arsenal weren’t too much a goal threat? They handled our attempted press pretty well and for the most part controlled the game but as was the the case with Liverpool we took our chances more when the moments arrived. Two top shelf balls from Bruno were the key moments.

The fact we are still heavily a work in progress but can get a scrappy win against Liverpool and a solid 3-1 against the league leaders while still winning all games since the first two disaster class games this season is great.

You can definitely see the progress, there’s a lot of nice one touch passing around the box etc we just need more time and we’ll soon be creating goals a bit more efficiently as well as still being strong on the counter. Good signs so far!
  • Rand0m Hero
    1288 posts Professional
    This season is going to be wild. Making predictions now with this insane World Cup essentially as a reset button still to come seems kind of fruitless. I’m happy that United has started grinding out results without truly playing well. That’s a good sign. I care less what the other teams are doing. The league spent like 2 billion this window most everyone is going to be tough on their day.
  • arsenalap wrote: »
    arsenalap wrote: »
    It's a myth. There's many games Arteta has praised the other team. Literally had this discussion a few months ago and debunked it.

Let's look at his words:

To paraphrase him "We would have won if we defended better and were more clinical". No ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

I'm aware of what he said this game, but Keane was saying that Mikel doesn't ever give credit to the other team. That is a complete lie.

And Arteta is right this game. It was there for the taking, and we lost because we made silly mistakes. We controlled the majority of the game.

United were clinical, which is a good thing and what i'd take from that from a United side.

The only "silly mistake" that was made was Arteta going gung ho with his substitutions, he played his hand too early and you got burnt.
  • Kman
    edited September 5
    So strange all the stuff “some” of the Arsenal fans are chatting about that game…
  • yosef167
    6123 posts Big Money Move

this is the only reason i wasnt worried yday when arsenal made the draw. you just cant do a comeback from lose at HT in OT
  • CFCsjmishra
    10317 posts Has That Special Something
    Kman wrote: »
    So strange all the stuff “some” of the Arsenal fans are chatting about that game…

Really not sure what they are on about. Saying 'the game was there for the taking' essentially means that United were poor/average and Arsenal failed to capitalize on some clear cut opportunities. This wasn't the case at all. The xG was almost similar but United won because they executed the game plan perfectly/were clinical. They let Arsenal take control of the game and counter-attacked when the opportunity cropped up. United hardly made any defensive mistakes (apart from the one that led to the goal) and most of the back-5 including McT were great. The subs made by ETH were also quite good and made at the right moment. Having possession of the ball doesn't mean you somehow dominated the game

Arsenal really lost on all fronts and somehow their manager/fans seem to think that the game was there for the taking. I mean no ❤️❤️❤️❤️. Aren't all games like that lol
  • arsenalap
    14536 posts Has That Special Something
    When it was 1-1, on almost every forum I was reading including on here AND Redcafe everyone said Arsenal were battering United and will go onto win.

That's what it means. It's not that hard to understand.
  • CFCsjmishra
    I don't know what is meant by 'battering' here. For me when you're battering someone, you have to put the goal in the net or at least have very clear cut chances which Arsenal never did. United were excellent defensively and they should be given credit for that. I haven't seen many comments praising how well they defended even though Martinelli, Saka and Jesus were so lively all game.
  • yosef167
    Kman wrote: »

Really not sure what they are on about. Saying 'the game was there for the taking' essentially means that United were poor/average and Arsenal failed to capitalize on some clear cut opportunities. This wasn't the case at all. The xG was almost similar but United won because they executed the game plan perfectly/were clinical. They let Arsenal take control of the game and counter-attacked when the opportunity cropped up. United hardly made any defensive mistakes (apart from the one that led to the goal) and most of the back-5 including McT were great. The subs made by ETH were also quite good and made at the right moment. Having possession of the ball doesn't mean you somehow dominated the game

Arsenal really lost on all fronts and somehow their manager/fans seem to think that the game was there for the taking. I mean no ❤️❤️❤️❤️. Aren't all games like that lol

Even the Big Fergie used to do this arsenal.. let them attack and then we could score the goals we needed

we did dominate at the start and first half was equal and later in we decided to let them have the ball the second half and break them in counters and it was the game plan by ETH .. thats doesnt mean we was poor /or average it was just our gameplan to bite arsenal

Arsenal was good opponent and in form team who did have very good game and no one taking it off them but United didnt have bad game either and was so clinical in the chances we had.

both teams played good football and no one can take that off United .. we just was mistake free and really solid while arsenal did get lost in the most important moments of the game
  • VVD4
    8348 posts League Winner
    edited September 5
    Arsenal were dominating the game and most of the action was in and around the United box, with the final pass/shot letting them down. They brought on 3 very attacking subs and went all out in an attempt to finish United off, only for United to hit them on the break as a result of the extremely high line. It is not like United played good stuff and pushed Arsenal back into their own half. They essentially set up as the plucky underdog team that counter attacks a big team. Even relegation fodder sees success doing that against the big teams sometimes. It's not a good look for United to resort to that sort of football at home either, imo. You want to dominate your opponents as a big team.

One team looked like a genuine top team and the other looked like a midtable team. The top team doesn't always win.
  • arsenalap
    I don't know what is meant by 'battering' here. For me when you're battering someone, you have to put the goal in the net or at least have very clear cut chances which Arsenal never did. United were excellent defensively and they should be given credit for that. I haven't seen many comments praising how well they defended even though Martinelli, Saka and Jesus were so lively all game.

If that's your take fair enough, but we had control of the game. Our issue was we didn't create enough chances that were clear cut.

Not sure why people are reading into the statement the game was there for the taking. It very clearly was for us at one point but as soon as it went 2-1 it was over.

Crediting United is a whole separate point. I won't disagree they defended well and were clinical.
  • Kman
    VVD4 wrote: »
    Arsenal were dominating the game and most of the action was in and around the United box, with the final pass/shot letting them down. They brought on 3 very attacking subs and went all out in an attempt to finish United off, only for United to hit them on the break as a result of the extremely high line. It is not like United played good stuff and pushed Arsenal back into their own half. They essentially set up as the plucky underdog team that counter attacks a big team. Even relegation fodder sees success doing that against the big teams sometimes. It's not a good look for United to resort to that sort of football at home either, imo. You want to dominate your opponents as a big team.

One team looked like a genuine top team and the other looked like a midtable team. The top team doesn't always win.

Up there with your worst take lol
  • CFCsjmishra

Look into the stats of any 2010-15 Barca Real game where Real won. It is a very common tactic used against teams who are good with possession and have a versatile front 3
  • yosef167

My question is : what did expect from us against
    arsenal?

Arsenal is playing together for the 3rd year now under same manager who is clear of how he wants to play

United; new manager who was here 2 months with 5 new starting XI players in the team yday- learning the methods of the new manager which takes time to adapt to , after being in the lowest point ever with players and squad with no self believe
    we had to.play the best team in the league if we only look at the fitst 5 games of the season performances(not squad overall) and went H2H with them the whole first half until we found ourselves 1 goal over them.. then we changed thr plan to counter them , we looked like a top team the first half if you watched it well

the counter helped us to win and that was the smart act as i do always say.. better be smart than being powerfull .
    if you want us dominate games then you should wait few more months.. we are progressing to it but it will take alot of time. for the point we started thr game with we did an very good job. we managed the game perfectly.

• VVD4
    8348 posts League Winner

Look into the stats of any 2010-15 Barca Real game where Real won. It is a very common tactic used against teams who are good with possession and have a versatile front 3

I know it is. I literally saw Real Madrid beat us in the CL final a few months ago doing it. I just don't think it is a very good look for a big team to resort to plucky underdog football when they've clearly got the players to actually go toe to toe.

It doesn't change the fact that Arsenal looked the better team yesterday.
  • VVD4
    8348 posts League Winner
    yosef167 wrote: »

arsenal?

Arsenal is playing together for the 3rd year now under same manager who is clear of how he wants to play

United; new manager who was here 2 months with 5 new starting XI players in the team yday- learning the methods of the new manager which takes time to adapt to , after being in the lowest point ever with players and squad with no self believe
    we had to.play the best team in the league if we only look at the fitst 5 games of the season performances(not squad overall) and went H2H with them the whole first half until we found ourselves 1 goal over them.. then we changed thr plan to counter them , we looked like a top team the first half if you watched it well

the counter helped us to win and that was the smart act as i do always say.. better be smart than being powerfull .
    if you want us dominate games then you should wait few more months.. we are progressing to it but it will take alot of time. for the point we started thr game with we did an very good job. we managed the game perfectly.

Funny, I don't remember Klopp resorting to that kind of football at the beginning, regardless of how good the opposition were.
  • arsenalap
    I just want to see how United score when you don't counter. I guess that's what Ronaldo could be used for.

Still too early to tell anyway how the season will unfold. I've seen enough from us to say we will generally be fine (although no DM currently is a big set back).

But for United, I want to see how they do against stubborn teams who know how to sit back and defend well.
  • yosef167
    yosef167 wrote: »

arsenal?

Funny, I don't remember Klopp resorting to that kind of football at the beginning, regardless of how good the opposition were.

thats one of the reasons why Klopp didnt achieve better in his 1st season(not main reason )
    we played to our strengh yday and it worked well. if we kept toe to toe game like the 1st half wr could have lost an important 3 points .
    at end of day we all can agree arsenal , spurs and liverpool are better teams (performance based ) than united and we should be smart to play our strengh against them
    I just want to see how United score when you don't counter. I guess that's what Ronaldo could be used for.

Still too early to tell anyway how the season will unfold. I've seen enough from us to say we will generally be fine (although no DM currently is a big set back).

But for United, I want to see how they do against stubborn teams who know how to sit back and defend well.

by the way our 1st goal wasnt counter attack goal .. we did break your press
  • CFCsjmishra
    Can we stop using 'manager's name+ball' for every new manager :joy:
  • Thefranchise92
    8473 posts League Winner
    so when a team holds the ball you have to counter, both teams can't hold the ball? i hate the fact there is only one considered way to win a football match. it has to be a million passes and pretty and sterile possession. if you can't defend against the counter then you should be more concise with your possession rather than aimlessly pass it around the box. apart from the ruled out goal and the saka goal i genuinely can't think of any clear oppurtunities, not half chances clear ones.

all our goals were clear oppurtunities in fact im surprised tap ins, and two 1v1s didnt make our XG higher.

on another note can already see the beenfit of why antony is in the team on the right over sancho for example. if sancho had that chane he would have shot on his weaker foot or more likely taken a touch or try and round the keeper and the chance is gone.

we have been playing and beating arsenal like this for as long as i can remember at OT. its a viable tactic and its only annoying on fifa, in real life its the remedy to sterile possession.
  • arsenalap
    so when a team holds the ball you have to counter, both teams can't hold the ball? i hate the fact there is only one considered way to win a football match. it has to be a million passes and pretty and sterile possession. if you can't defend against the counter then you should be more concise with your possession rather than aimlessly pass it around the box. apart from the ruled out goal and the saka goal i genuinely can't think of any clear oppurtunities, not half chances clear ones.

all our goals were clear oppurtunities in fact im surprised tap ins, and two 1v1s didnt make our XG higher.

on another note can already see the beenfit of why antony is in the team on the right over sancho for example. if sancho had that chane he would have shot on his weaker foot or more likely taken a touch or try and round the keeper and the chance is gone.

we have been playing and beating arsenal like this for as long as i can remember at OT. its a viable tactic and its only annoying on fifa, in real life its the remedy to sterile possession.

I think it's a perfectly fine tactic personally, again my comments are mostly about our own performance. United had a plan and it worked, good for them.

But, the question is, will that plan work for most the teams in the league. We'll see.
  • Shshj
    14368 posts Has That Special Something
    Can we stop using 'manager's name+ball' for every new manager :joy:

Nothing will ever beat the initial hype around Sarriball.
  • Thefranchise92
    8473 posts League Winner
    anyway this isnt my take just a

I think it's a perfectly fine tactic personally, again my comments are mostly about our own performance. United had a plan and it worked, good for them.

But, the question is, will that plan work for most the teams in the league. We'll see.

yeah wasnt talking about you per se but its again symptomatic in real life and fifa when someone loses they can't seem to see the things the opposition did that made them make mistakes, or didnt allow them to play their oown game to the best of their capabilities or why they lost. The way Arsenal play they will most likely dominate the ball against most teams, does that mean they would or should win those games? not if they dont create enough chances