Do skill moves ruin the game

Mpl44
272 posts Sunday League Hero
I'm.... Quite old.... And I've been watching football a long long time. I've never once watched a real life match that this game tries to emulate.
I understood it when fifa Street came out, street football was full of flare and style... But 11 a side isn't.
I try my hardest to build a team, set out a formation and tactics, and play some nice football at times but, without the absolute skill mashing buttons, flicks and whatever else needed, I am not very successful. Only to watch average real life players dance and weave down the pitch.
It's not real, it's frustration and I'm crap at them lol

Comments

• WeeJimmyBKnew
    358 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yes
  • Mpl44
    Haha. Cheers
  • radhoyl
    4642 posts National Call-Up
    Mpl44 wrote: »
    I'm.... Quite old.... And I've been watching football a long long time. I've never once watched a real life match that this game tries to emulate.
    I understood it when fifa Street came out, street football was full of flare and style... But 11 a side isn't.
    I try my hardest to build a team, set out a formation and tactics, and play some nice football at times but, without the absolute skill mashing buttons, flicks and whatever else needed, I am not very successful. Only to watch average real life players dance and weave down the pitch.

At this time of the year, skills rule.

• Mpl44
    radhoyl wrote: »

Not exactly realistic is it tho?
  • radhoyl
    4642 posts National Call-Up
    radhoyl wrote: »

Not exactly realistic is it tho?

Kids are in holiday, they need to be entertained without breaking the bank accounts
  • Tennster10
    2648 posts Fans' Favourite
    Not sure if it ruined the game but its so annoying.
  • Yes. Yes they do.
  • FifaProDK
    2014 posts Fans' Favourite
    No. No they do not.
  • Mpl44
    FifaProDK wrote: »
    No. No they do not.

Boooooo
  • FifaProDK
    2014 posts Fans' Favourite
    FifaProDK wrote: »
    No. No they do not.

Boooooo

Hey if you have fun using your A button only, you do you. I'll be over here showing off 😉
  • Diggy
    15698 posts World Class
    Only the glitchy ones
  • Kevin
    2012 posts Fans' Favourite
    Just the useless skill moves do, like doing step-overs and ball rolls in his own half when there are no players from the opposite time around them.
  • Nickthegreek20
    2779 posts National Call-Up
    If they worked as they should without being glitchy then no. It’s an actual skill. But they don’t and some people just spam random ones hoping to get through.

Next gen has got it better than old, as if you defend them right they can be stopped.
  • pes1972
    1686 posts Play-Off Hero
    Definately ruins the game and any realism potential. In real life football skillmoves maybe used 4-5 times per 90 min game, in fifa used 30+ times in many games. They could keep it in Volta only mode. More realistic without it.
  • Orison
    74636 posts Icon
    edited August 17
    No.

The realism argument should be dead and buried by now. It's way too obvious that ea's idea of "realism" hurts the game (way more than skillmoves ever could).

Unless something changes significantly you really shouldn’t ask for more realism. You might actually get it and it would be god awful.
  • EtGarut
    Absolutely 100%.

Don't let the spotty 14 year olds tell you otherwise.
  • leon1309
    4503 posts National Call-Up
    Seems every season has skills that glitch or are just to OP, so in that regard yes.

But if there was no skill (glitch through) bs, then no, as skill would take more then regular spin to win mentality.

And there is also gameplay factor. If one side has bad gameplay and the other can skill normaly, the game is done (unless there is a massive skill diference).
  • Hann4y
    839 posts Semi-Pro
    Skills are OK, the sheer amount of them used and glitches just ruin it.

I want to play a game of football. Football has skillful players.

FUT has turned Into Volta 11 v 11.

So the answer is, no and yes 😂
  • There is a place for them in fifa of course but they are too effective. Spamming skills moves is the meta this year and one that is not particularly realistic. They need to be nerfed on fifa 23 without a doubt!
  • ImAtrocious
    3030 posts National Call-Up
    I find the constant press cheese far more obnoxious than skill moves. When someone is really good at using them, realism aside, it's actually impressive and reflects a skill gap.
  • UnclePaulie
    26 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Absolutely yes.

Leave that gimmicky nonsense in Volta where it belongs. If I wanted to watch someone spam skills all game, I'd play Volta. Perhaps EA should make 11 v 11 Volta FUT? Sure the kids would love it.
  • player
    1025 posts Professional
    Absolutely not.
    I take skills any day over systematic one-two,and slow build up, pressing two buttons only.
  • Saiyajin
    1146 posts Professional
    player wrote: »
    Absolutely not.
    I take skills any day over systematic one-two,and slow build up, pressing two buttons only.

This.

Either everything is manual or we do need skill moves
  • Professor
    4203 posts National Call-Up
    Skills makes the game fun imo and also creates a skill gap. No skill in just passing around the back for 30 min waiting for a shot just to be auto blocked by the defender. Game would be incredibly boring.

Game is won in defense anyways. I’ve played people who are amazing attacking but can’t defend to save their lives. Can basically just walk through their defenders.
  • I SiR MartY I
    15383 posts World Class
    No, but skill cancelling does

It shouldn't be a thing, I say that as someone that does it too, skills as they are should be high risk high reward, if you want to spam them, go for it but you should see the animation through so be forced to pick the right skill at the right time

Not get bailed out by LT/RT and cancelling at an angle that'll break your ankles to get off a shot
  • libertao
    1906 posts Play-Off Hero
    Funny to think that it used to be much worse. People used to regularly go on skill runs through the entire team, but you rarely see those anymore.