Non Meta Formations Thread

Comments

• Deus_Ex_Machina10
    67 posts Park Captain
    Also did an upgrade sbc and pulled PIM eto. Straight onto the Market
  • Smoothino84
    288 posts Sunday League Hero
    Smoothino84, thanks again, last WL got 14 wins with a gold Team + Griez & Avila ; mainly with 4141 & Ive played 3 WL`s!. Got 1.7m to build a Team. Used 4231 as well. The most enjoyment Ive had!

Glad you’re enjoying it. Currently crafting PIM cantona for either striker or central cam in 4231, possession based of course :)
  • JakeH
    1991 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited May 5
    Had a bit of a change around and try a few fresh faces with a tweak in tactics. Was using balanced and direct passing but now trying long ball and forward runs. It makes for quite an attacking set up.

56-DD321-C-0812-410-C-9-DDD-BD524-DFC16-AE.jpg

@Smoothino84 what are your possession tactics for 4231. I don’t usually play that way but at times I feel I need to switch to a more possession based game depending on opponent.
  • METH
    2112 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited May 5
    METH wrote: »
    Loving 3142 at the moment, with midfielders on free roam, SC’s on false nine and stay wide LM/RM. Great at recycling possession from one side to another and drags out the AI defenders out of position.
    I basically defend with just the 3 CBs.

Hi mate,

Could you share you full tactics for 3142 please9

@Deus_Ex_Machina10
    Yeh sure but remember this is my play style I enjoy playing might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

POHT 30/71
    Slow Build Up/Possession
    100 width
    1 player in the box (might seem abit low but I never cross unless I’m doing objectives) adjust to 6/7 if you want more.
    GK-come for crosses/sweeper keeper
    RCB/LCB-overlap, step-up
    CCB-default
    CDM-stay back, cover centre, free roam
    RCM-go forward, free roam, cover wing (in defence this guy will cover RM spot)
    LCM-free roam, cover centre
    RM-come back on defence (will be your RB in a 442), free roam, get in behind, get into box for crosses
    LM-free roam, get in behind, get into box for crosses
    LSC-false 9, stay forward
    RSC-false 9, come back on defence

You will defend in a 442 so if you want tour LM come back at LB then swap instructions over. I only instruct my RM has I use Caligiuri there. If you find it too slow building attacks increase players in box and slow build up to balanced or something.

Edit:at start of match activate Hug Sideline so your LM and RM on free roam stay wide, hence the 100 width.
    Post edited by METH on
  • Smoothino84
    JakeH wrote: »
    Had a bit of a change around and try a few fresh faces with a tweak in tactics. Was using balanced and direct passing but now trying long ball and forward runs. It makes for quite an attacking set up.

56-DD321-C-0812-410-C-9-DDD-BD524-DFC16-AE.jpg

@Smoothino84 what are your possession tactics for 4231. I don’t usually play that way but at times I feel I need to switch to a more possession based game depending on opponent.

All my tactics/instructions/footage is on here mate.

• METH
    Here’s some gameplay footage of the 3142 I use.
    It was a crazy game 3-0 down in the first 15 mins, I just couldn’t tackle him!
    But in the second half the 100 width I use destroyed his constant press has it left huge gaps for me to take advantage of, and the ball roll is the most effective move to use against this when receiving the ball.
    Enjoy ☺️

• JakeH
    But in the second half the 100 width I use destroyed his constant press has it left huge gaps for me to take advantage of, and the ball roll is the most effective move to use against this when receiving the ball.
    Enjoy ☺️

What’s your team? I’m using 352 so not sure I could make 3142 work as use Sancho at cam so he would be one of the 4 mids.

• METH
    Enjoy ☺️

What’s your team? I’m using 352 so not sure I could make 3142 work as use Sancho at cam so he would be one of the 4 mids.

It’s Seria A team so think Chiellini/Darmian/Tonali/Perisic special cards.
    You could play Sancho has the go forward CM or even has one of the false 9 up top.
    Need patience in this system.
  • RuddyElmate2022
    2293 posts Fans' Favourite
    What constitutes as non Meta sorry?
  • METH
    What constitutes as non Meta sorry?

Formations and custom tactics that don’t have 10 men behind the ball etc.
    Thread has a lot of reference to 433(5) so playing a passing game.
  • RuddyElmate2022
    Ah this will be useful.
    Used to use 41212(2) but struggled with it.
    Moved to 352 and had my worst weekend league ever, swapped to 5212, improved but wondering what else is worth looking at.
    Don’t have LB or RBs in the team and use Brozovic and Lahm there.
  • RuddyElmate2022
    I found the 5 ATB means the LB and RB Bonn forward as opposed to chasing back which I think made the difference. Wouldn’t mind trying 4231 but have been so used to 2 up top.
  • JakeH
    edited May 8
    I found the 5 ATB means the LB and RB Bonn forward as opposed to chasing back which I think made the difference. Wouldn’t mind trying 4231 but have been so used to 2 up top.

4231 worked ok for me this WL. although 442 gave me a better balance with 2 strikers.

352 has still been strong and used that is qualifiers this morning with a full back 1 side and a winger the other.

• Smoothino84
    1st video showing how to break down 5 at the back. The guy even defended with his midfielders so essentially it was 7.

2nd one is how to deal with constant pressure. Both games have some really nice worked goals. More on my channel

• freddfranca
    2628 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’m really sad. I thought that play with a full Icon team would be the most fun ever, but just realized that the game just don’t let you use the players you want. Played against a team with TOTS players, and my team looked like was a bronze squad.
    I tried all formations, all styles of game, and every game was so hard, so frustrating…
    I don’t want to abandon this team, I like the players, but it just doesn’t work. I don’t have coins to buy another team, used almost all my special cards to do the Icons SBC and now I’m stuck…
  • Smoothino84
    I’m really sad. I thought that play with a full Icon team would be the most fun ever, but just realized that the game just don’t let you use the players you want. Played against a team with TOTS players, and my team looked like was a bronze squad.
    I tried all formations, all styles of game, and every game was so hard, so frustrating…
    I don’t want to abandon this team, I like the players, but it just doesn’t work. I don’t have coins to buy another team, used almost all my special cards to do the Icons SBC and now I’m stuck…

Sorry to hear, why don’t use keep the ones that work and sell the ones that don’t? The Dutch tots has some great cheap cards that are excellent currently
  • Smoothino84
    edited May 9
    Finally managed to get 99% pass accuracy, striving for 100% now. Sangare and Kocku are the best pairing I have used this year. Mazraoui is incredible going forward. Cantona is…well Catona.

• JakeH
    3421 for me has become a very fun and rewarding formation! It has suited my play style to a tee today.
  • NataliesBottom
    534 posts An Exciting Prospect

I feel your pain. I went all in on Italian Icons...turns out I’m just not good enough to compete using them. It was fun..but after a while, chasing the ball around & getting bullied off the ball by overpowered nobodies started to wear thin.

• freddfranca

I feel your pain. I went all in on Italian Icons...turns out I’m just not good enough to compete using them. It was fun..but after a while, chasing the ball around & getting bullied off the ball by overpowered nobodies started to wear thin.

Exactly. To people like me and apparently you, that are average players, we can’t use players too much behind the curve. Doesn’t need to be meta players, but we need to be on the same level of the current promo. I mixed some players I already had and the Icons that still perform good an build this

gaajbutp96vc.jpeg

• john_d_efc
    3163 posts National Call-Up
    3421 for me has become a very fun and rewarding formation! It has suited my play style to a tee today.

@JakeH Do you mind sharing your CTs? I struggled when I played against it this WL
  • JakeH
    edited May 10
    john_d_efc wrote: »

@JakeH Do you mind sharing your CTs? I struggled when I played against it this WL

Yeah sure no prob.

POHT

Long ball
    Direct Passing

Striker - Get in behind, stay forward, conservative interceptions
    LF - stay central, false 9, Stay forward
    LM - Stay wide, get in behind, get in to box
    RF - stay central, get in behind, stay forward
    RM - come back on defence, stay wide, get in to box
    LCM - stay on edge of box, cover wing
    RCM - stay back, cover centre

If your attacking side is the other way round reverse tactics.

65-D98732-733-E-4741-ABFA-DEC64-C47-B37-A.jpg[l

• BackDaddy
    3315 posts National Call-Up
    Released a short video showcasing my tactics/instructions for the formations I use. :)

Enjoying this, will try with 4222,4231,433(5)
  • NataliesBottom
    534 posts An Exciting Prospect

Exactly. To people like me and apparently you, that are average players, we can’t use players too much behind the curve. Doesn’t need to be meta players, but we need to be on the same level of the current promo. I mixed some players I already had and the Icons that still perform good an build this

gaajbutp96vc.jpeg

That still looks a fun team 👍 Yeah, I’ve found a solid midfield & one striker who can beat the meta are necessary to compete & still have fun. Luckily for me, I have Tonali & Zlatan, players who are up with the power curve but more importantly...I actually like and respect irl (which might sound silly to some..but it matters to me. I could never have a douchebag like Neymar in my squad).

Once you’ve got a solid core..then you can sprinkle fun icons around it.

• JakeH
    I swear 99% of games on any mode these days are against 41212 (2) or 4312. Is narrow the pure meta these days?
  • john_d_efc
    3163 posts National Call-Up
    I swear 99% of games on any mode these days are against 41212 (2) or 4312. Is narrow the pure meta these days?

Appears that way mate, I find it's usually easy to play around them though but 4222 gives me the most headaches
  • JakeH

Appears that way mate, I find it's usually easy to play around them though but 4222 gives me the most headaches

What formation do you think works best to counter the narrow?

• freddfranca
    I was feeling sad because the week passed over and I didn’t packed one single TOTS player. Then when I was opening the last packed from this week rewards, all hope already gone …

gk2wkv59dup3.jpeg

OMG I need to build a new team 😱😱😱😱😱
  • Smoothino84
    I was feeling sad because the week passed over and I didn’t packed one single TOTS player. Then when I was opening the last packed from this week rewards, all hope already gone …

gk2wkv59dup3.jpeg

OMG I need to build a new team 😱😱😱😱😱

The best player I have packed all year is John stones fantasy card :(
  • Smoothino84

What formation do you think works best to counter the narrow?
    4231 1&2

Anything with width