The English Football League Lounge 2022/23

Comments

• Hicksy2011
    19039 posts World Class
    It’s to play full back for Bayern anyway
    Doesn’t that mean you defend once a month and you just need to be a winger that can defend a bit to play there?
  • AaronMFC
    2682 posts Fans' Favourite
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    It’s to play full back for Bayern anyway
    Doesn’t that mean you defend once a month and you just need to be a winger that can defend a bit to play there?

They've lacked that in a rb for a while tbh. Pavard is a cb playing rb. Kimmich was world class going forward and defensively, similar for Lahm. To the original question when Spence broke through into our team he looked very good in the championship could have seen him in a lower half prem team. Then his form dipped and its taken a move for his career to get back on track. I really doubt he's Bayern quality but its clear hes better than championship level.
  • They Caged Non
    6548 posts Big Money Move
    Not often you walk away from a defeat with zero negativity… funny old game football. We look a proper team and were outdone by a moment of class, I think I was more annoyed when we beat Reading lol.
  • AaronMFC
    Not often you walk away from a defeat with zero negativity… funny old game football. We look a proper team and were outdone by a moment of class, I think I was more annoyed when we beat Reading lol.

It was a good header but I think on rewatch you will be more annoyed. We had two separate lines one playing for offside and one sitting back at the back post. Giving a man who had scored 37 goals a free run. I think Wilder will be furious how we defended that. Very good performance again though think we can beat anyone at home. I have Forest as play off favourites right now though last couple of times ive watched them they look excellent.
  • They Caged Non
    AaronMFC wrote: »

It was a good header but I think on rewatch you will be more annoyed. We had two separate lines one playing for offside and one sitting back at the back post. Giving a man who had scored 37 goals a free run. I think Wilder will be furious how we defended that. Very good performance again though think we can beat anyone at home. I have Forest as play off favourites right now though last couple of times ive watched them they look excellent.

Yeah I agree with that, pundits are bulling us up a bit but I’m convinced the likes of Forest and a couple of others are better.
  • AaronMFC

Yeah I agree with that, pundits are bulling us up a bit but I’m convinced the likes of Forest and a couple of others are better.

Yeah today showed that I think if we dont get in the playoffs feel today will be the reason. Surprisingly poor today just had no creativity at all. Lumley is a really bad keeper as well it was a simple save and we could have at least got a point in a bad performance.
  • Hicksy2011
    19039 posts World Class
    edited April 10
    Wheels have come off for us, not scored in ages (although I think we are about to get our fourth straight game with an apology from the PGMOL for a terrible decision which doesn’t help)

Need the summer for some optimism because the faith in the Cowley project is starting to come under some scrutiny
  • Hicksy2011
    19039 posts World Class
    edited April 14
    Bazunu up for young player of the year for league 1
    First loanee in years where you can tell he’s going to the top, quality player with all the attributes for the very top
    Elite mentality too, lot of our young players spending a lot of time in nightclubs and stuff. Then you’ve got Bazunu who needs ‘convincing’ from Guardiola that he should spend a year as backup rather than going and starting for like Napoli or someone like that next year
    Because he’s insistent he wants to be the number 1 every year
  • Retro1989
    7487 posts League Winner
    Jeez Fulham you had one job.
  • iHilarious
    13658 posts Has That Special Something
    Retro1989 wrote: »

Up the Rams
  • Retro1989
    7487 posts League Winner
    iHilarious wrote: »
    Retro1989 wrote: »

Up the Rams

Tax dodgers
  • They Caged Non
    All it proves is the Championship is the greatest league on earth and nobody wants to leave it.
  • AaronMFC
    Have to win on Monday or our season is pretty much over. Happy with the performance today denied a stonewall penalty but we have to forget that.
  • They Caged Non
    Have to win on Monday or our season is pretty much over. Happy with the performance today denied a stonewall penalty but we have to forget that.

Yeah tbh I think the playoffs are a step too far for us anyway, shocking up front as usual.
  • AaronMFC

Yeah tbh I think the playoffs are a step too far for us anyway, shocking up front as usual.

Yeah be interesting to see what forwards we bring in this summer. Daniels didnt have much to do but looked secure so thats a positive.
  • AaronMFC
    Abysmal today thats the season over. 3 games now without creating a decent goalscoring chance. Really didnt see us fizzling out this quickly after long really good spells since wilder took over. We go again next year and hopefully finally sign a striker who can score. Our last 20 goal a season striker was Ravinelli in 97 although Bamford came close.
  • strings79
    2410 posts Fans' Favourite
    Abysmal today thats the season over. 3 games now without creating a decent goalscoring chance. Really didnt see us fizzling out this quickly after long really good spells since wilder took over. We go again next year and hopefully finally sign a striker who can score. Our last 20 goal a season striker was Ravinelli in 97 although Bamford came close.

was shocked how poor you lot were tbf just hoping Sorbas injury isnt that bad as his set pieces are a huge part of how we play.
  • Retro1989
    7487 posts League Winner
    Wayne Rooney's Tax Dodging We Fight To The End But Can't Fill Our Stadium Derby County is down!
  • dannyboy
    13020 posts Has That Special Something
    Derby? More like Lerby
  • Dizzy Bala
    3985 posts National Call-Up
    Hardly the season over when there's 12 points left to play for and you've got games on most of the chasing pack.
    IF we win tonight, thats West Brom out of it and probably us into it.
    Provided Sheffield United don't win this as well, there's still that last spot open.

I have to say though, you not being in the playoffs would be really good for us given you've had us over twice this season and Djed Spence can't play if we play you.

Also, have to say I bloody love Derby going down.
  • AaronMFC
    strings79 wrote: »

was shocked how poor you lot were tbf just hoping Sorbas injury isnt that bad as his set pieces are a huge part of how we play.

I was impressed by Huddersfield despite how poor we played. First half was fairly drab but you were rock solid and dangerous from set pieces. Then when we were getting more bodies forward Huddersfield were constantly a threat on the counter attack.
  • AaronMFC
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    Hardly the season over when there's 12 points left to play for and you've got games on most of the chasing pack.
    IF we win tonight, thats West Brom out of it and probably us into it.
    Provided Sheffield United don't win this as well, there's still that last spot open.

I have to say though, you not being in the playoffs would be really good for us given you've had us over twice this season and Djed Spence can't play if we play you.

It feels over when we havent created a decent goal scoring chance in 3 consecutive games. We look devoid of any creativity or attacking ideas. Thats the main reason I think were done looking at the table its daft to say we are but the way we are playing its hard to see us winning 3 of 4 honestly its hard to see how were going to score at the moment.
  • Handy Andy
    6332 posts Big Money Move

Seems the Forest fans love us now :D
  • dannyboy
    13020 posts Has That Special Something
    Handy Andy wrote: »

Mad world init
  • Retro1989
    7487 posts League Winner
    Handy Andy wrote: »

Reading and QPR legends today :D
  • Dizzy Bala
    3985 posts National Call-Up
    I like Reading and QPR today but I bloody love Jack Colback.
  • NornIron
    15541 posts World Class
    @iHilarious How's Smyth getting on is he playing for your reserves? Also see Brown is playing well now, he's a great defender.
  • iHilarious
    13658 posts Has That Special Something
    NornIron wrote: »
    @iHilarious How's Smyth getting on is he playing for your reserves? Also see Brown is playing well now, he's a great defender.

I’d be lying if I said I’ve seen anything from Smyth - he’s played in the Senior Cup games but too old for our u18s, not sure he’s played more than 1/2 against part-timers & been named on 1st team bench a couple times. We play Oxford City in the final, just down the road from me, on Tuesday night so will probably pop along & see what’s occurring.

Ciaron Brown has looked very good since joining, arguably the best performer since he’s joined, even when we’ve lost. Topped it off with a MOTM performance on Tuesday night as we kept one of our rare clean sheets.
    Kept them quiet with his dominance in the air, adds a different aspect to our attacks with his long throw & anticipated well to keep this one out
  • They Caged Non
    I’m with Aaron, we are about finished, and even if we did sneak in we have no chance against the other teams in there.