90 Gullit - Is he overhyped?

nowback2me
769 posts Semi-Pro
Sure he's a good card, but, i don't think he has 'it'. For me, he isn't a difference maker. He has that slow release animation, you notice it in bad gameplay, takes an age to release the pass. He doesn't feel especially quick across the pitch either.

I compare him to 88 Vieira and there is no contest. Vieira feels lightening.

I've really tried to like Gullit but he just really doesn't suit my style of play. I like to play in quick combinations, press high, play one touch football.

Anyone else struggle to get the hype around him? Are there any better B2B icons you've tried?

My other two CMs are Pedri LCM, Vieira CCM.

Comments

• CK4795
    1243 posts Play-Off Hero
    he dominates the midfield and i always struggle against him, He is so annoying to play against.
    So have to disagree with you
  • I SiR MartY I
    15404 posts World Class
    Nah, mid and prime Gullit are monsters in midfield, those long legs are a nightmare
  • CheeseSlice
    2234 posts Fans' Favourite
    nowback2me wrote: »
    Sure he's a good card, but, i don't think he has 'it'. For me, he isn't a difference maker. He has that slow release animation, you notice it in bad gameplay, takes an age to release the pass. He doesn't feel especially quick across the pitch either.

I've really tried to like Gullit but he just really doesn't suit my style of play. I like to play in quick combinations, press high, play one touch football.

Anyone else struggle to get the hype around him? Are there any better B2B icons you've tried?

Show us your team and that
  • nowback2me
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    CK4795 wrote: »
    he dominates the midfield and i always struggle against him, He is so annoying to play against.
    So have to disagree with you

Really? He's not a card i tend to struggle against. It's the smaller more agile players that cause me issues.
  • nowback2me
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    Nah, mid and prime Gullit are monsters in midfield, those long legs are a nightmare

He's nothing on Vieira in the legs department. I think EA are releasing more and more ridiculous cards and promos that each year Gullit becomes less effective. Certainly for the price anyway.
  • nowback2me
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    @CheeseSlice

odg7VZ9.png

Here is the team. Ozil with false 9 instructions, with the idea he'll drop deep and leave space for Gullit to run into. Tbh, it worked a lot better when i played Havertz false 9 and Ozil RCM, played a lot more fluid.
  • Swanz05
    6070 posts Big Money Move
    This is usually about the time of year when he starts losing his shine a little imo but I was just thinking he's better & for longer this year. Each to their own etc 🤷‍♀️
  • nowback2me
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    Swanz05 wrote: »
    This is usually about the time of year when he starts losing his shine a little imo but I was just thinking he's better & for longer this year. Each to their own etc 🤷‍♀️

I definitely seem to be in the minority. He's good, but i just don't get that wow factor that Pedri and Vieira give me.

I think 3m could be better used elsewhere
  • number7rocky
    8564 posts League Winner
    Have the prime untradeable on my rtg and he's an animal in the correct possiton/instructions. 442 balanced CM/Get into box for crosses.

Has it everything you need apart from being super agile
  • nowback2me
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    Have the prime untradeable on my rtg and he's an animal in the correct possiton/instructions. 442 balanced CM/Get into box for crosses.

Has it everything you need apart from being super agile

I think the agility thing is whats bothering me, having previously used FB Odegaard and Moments Ozil in midfield.
  • YidArmy
    2474 posts Fans' Favourite

I agree with you mate.

I bought him a few weeks ago but had to sell. Its all about play styles at the end of the day.

I took out TOTYHM Foden from CM to use Mid Gullit instead and it made my team significantly worse.

Foden turns on a dime and would drive my team forward, Gullit just seemed to slow things down and not provide me with those fast turns I needed in midfield.

Other people will be looking for a presence in their midfield to win the ball back and body the opposition...but for me I use TOTY Cancelo for that... so him and Gullit just weren't a good combo.

Cancelo is by far a better CM than Gullit btw, a far superior card in every way (apart from height!).
  • nowback2me
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    @YidArmy Sounds like we have a similar playstyle. I like CMs who can turn on a dime, its why i love the Pedri card.

I don't think Gullit even excels at winning the ball back tbh. I've used Cancelo, one of my favourite cards, i played him LWB. Sold last week just to switch up my team, but if i sell Gullit, he'll be the first card i bring back.
  • joshyw
    892 posts Semi-Pro
    Top top class for me. His legs are everywhere and 9 times out of 10 he gets the ball, can shoot, pass, I find is dribbling insane for his size.

Just a top quality, well balanced midfielder
  • KSYM72
    1197 posts Professional
    joshyw wrote: »
    Top top class for me. His legs are everywhere and 9 times out of 10 he gets the ball, can shoot, pass, I find is dribbling insane for his size.

Just a top quality, well balanced midfielder

This
  • Jordonp
    3331 posts National Call-Up
    If Jorginho TOTY had better defensive animations and H/M he’d be light years ahead of Gullit. Such a shame.
  • Swanz05

I definitely seem to be in the minority. He's good, but i just don't get that wow factor that Pedri and Vieira give me.

Funny you liked Vieira who's a similar type to Gullit & if anything I'd say he's the one that's overhyped especially with that 3* wf. Different work rates = different roles though I suppose.

I guess you haven't used Gullit in previous years? They don't change THAT much from year to year imo & now at least you know he's not for you.
  • Swanz05
    Btw if you like small & nippy you could also think about PIM Lahm as a replacement for Gullit. Only downside is the 3* wf which can be annoying sometimes.
  • Swanz05 wrote: »

Funny you liked Vieira who's a similar type to Gullit & if anything I'd say he's the one that's overhyped especially with that 3* wf. Different work rates = different roles though I suppose.

I guess you haven't used Gullit in previous years? They don't change THAT much from year to year imo & now at least you know he's not for you.

I tried to like him last year and felt similar. Maybe its just my playstyle.

Vieira for me just glides across the pitch with the ball, and without it, he intercepts most things.
  • Metalfly
    1829 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 22
    I also have to disagree that he’s overhyped but perhaps he doesn’t suit you.

Mid Gullit is the best b2b midfielder in the game, only other in his class are his Prime and PIM. He’s absolutely a player you build a team around.

I wouldn’t put him in a 3-man midfield either, for me he’s best as the balanced midfielder in 4231 or 442, that way he covers the most amount of pitch. For the formation you use him in it probably is a bit cramped for Gullit, his best qualities are his ability to break up play and not close control. I would say maybe get RTTF Renato instead.
  • ha032742
    48682 posts Moderator
    PIM Gullit corrects most of the issues with the mid and prime, not that answers your question :#
  • Furrag85
    2505 posts Fans' Favourite
    I use him. Not totally convinced, but then I have struggled all year to find a dominant mid who I think can do it all. If you want alternatives:

Gravenberch
    Bellingham
    PIM Veron

Or smaller more agile;
    Kokcu
    Firmino
    D.Alves
    Cancelo
    Pedri
  • Imprttysaucy4
    110 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I’ve hated gullit every version so far this year. For eveything stated above. Div1 and elite speed of game was too much, had to sell him again couldn’t use anymore.
  • Boysie91
    15305 posts World Class
    If you want someone who can do it all try Bday Firmino
  • d-Leon307-b
    1556 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hated the Prime Last year

Heard this year hes better didnt try him Tho
  • dinbaba
    1102 posts Professional
    When I go up against him, my tactic is to keep the ball away from him as much as I can, if he is on the left side, I attack from the right side.
  • CITYTIANB
    996 posts Professional
    i really didn't rate gullit this year and i tried the prime and mid, i much preferred Toty KDB.
  • Furrag85
    2505 posts Fans' Favourite
    So I've switched to 4312, using Varane, Rudiger and Rice as the carrier out of defence.

Gullit and TOTY De Bruyne as CM's, balanced. They're far more influential in this formation, perhaps because their defensive duties are taken off of them by the 3 centre backs, which deal well with the dull 41212 players.
  • nowback2me
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    Boysie91 wrote: »
    If you want someone who can do it all try Bday Firmino

I try to use players i like/liked. Fifa is more fun that way.
  • nowback2me
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    dinbaba wrote: »
    When I go up against him, my tactic is to keep the ball away from him as much as I can, if he is on the left side, I attack from the right side.

Interesting, i have no issues coming up against him. Feel he lacks pace, you can easily burst past him with someone like TOTY Cancelo.
  • nowback2me
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    edited March 23
    Furrag85 wrote: »
    So I've switched to 4312, using Varane, Rudiger and Rice as the carrier out of defence.

Gullit and TOTY De Bruyne as CM's, balanced. They're far more influential in this formation, perhaps because their defensive duties are taken off of them by the 3 centre backs, which deal well with the dull 41212 players.

I'm also using him in a 3 man midfield (Team posted above) I have him on Get forward and get in the box. Its a decent card, but im just not getting as much impact from him as others seem to.

I used to have Prime Zidane and tbh, he influenced games more for me. Was hoping Gullit would be a lot more rounded than Zizou with better agility and defending but he's just not. I'm giving him more of a go tonight but if i'm still left unimpressed, i'll sell. I'd much rather own Zidane again as i loved him irl, or maybe try someone else.