Comments

• rmoxon
    3913 posts National Call-Up
    edited February 1
    Alford5 wrote: »
    rmoxon wrote: »
    The definition of “Icon” is: a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration.

To me that just means any footballer who was worthy of great respect, which means that all the heroes should be icons, and hero cards shouldn’t even be a thing.
    Eas definition is the best to ever play the game, meaning alot of the icons shouldn’t be icons.

Well it depends how big your bracket for best ever players is.

If you’re talking top 100 then yeah, but if you’re talking top 1000 then they should all be icons.

How many icons is there in game? Can’t be many more than 100, I’d keep it to 100 personally. Got actual goaT strikers like batistuta etc missing out in place of torres etc, even players like George weah, balon dor winner nowhere to be seen

There is 105 I think.

The thing is the sport of football has been around for quite a few years now, 105 of the best players ever is nothing really.
  • Springveldt
    6927 posts Big Money Move
    edited February 1
    pes1972 wrote: »
    Jackwc wrote: »
    Gerrard definately should be a Hero-card

Get outta here 🤡

There are so many better midfielders through the years, at Liverpool he was a hero but among other midfielders just average, like many of the other english midfielders that has become icons in this game
    Utter drivel. I'm Scottish and a Celtic fan so not exactly the demograph that would support Gerrard but he was one of the best midfielders of his generation and the best English one.

These threads usually end up showing people's bias. There are a lot of current icons who should not be but Gerrard is definitely not one of them.

I've still no idea what Essien did to get an icon card except come from Africa.
  • rmoxon
    3913 posts National Call-Up

Get outta here 🤡

There are so many better midfielders through the years, at Liverpool he was a hero but among other midfielders just average, like many of the other english midfielders that has become icons in this game
    Utter drivel. I'm Scottish and a Celtic fan so not exactly the demograph that would support Gerrard but he was one of the best midfielders of his generation and the best English one.

These threads usually end up showing people's bias. There are a lot of current icons who should not be but Gerrard is definitely not one of them.

I’m English and I always thought Gerrard was overrated to be honest.

He was a hero to Liverpool fans, but it was for his passion and drive more than his footballing talent.
  • I SiR MartY I
    15286 posts World Class
    I agree with Owen being a hero card, after his Liverpool moved, he dropped off a cliff, should have at least 3 good club periods to justify a legend card + moments, Owen doesnt.

Ballack should remain an icon

I'd also add

Larsson
    Okocha
    Shearer
    Riquelme

Shearer not an icon?!?!?!?!!
    You can’t be for real man 😳

I'm not knocking the guy, but when I think of icons I think of players with 3 different periods in their career, whether it be at different clubs or across different ages

Like Ronaldinho at Milan with the headband, or Barca Dinho, both completely different players

With Shearer, he was too consistent, I know that sounds stupid, but he was basically the same type of player across his career, so giving him 4 cards seems pointless when he could get just one juiced up prem card instead that justify's his talent more.

788be86e933eeebfcefe23dcf52c12b4.png
  • Alford5
    729 posts An Exciting Prospect

Get outta here 🤡

Gerrard best English midfielder 😂😂😂😂😂losr all credibility right there. Celtic and Liverpool fans famously w4nk each other off.
  • Scu11duggery
    2046 posts Fans' Favourite
    One thing they need to do is review Icon's stats annually and adjust in line with the game and how they rate players. Obvious example this year is pace. They've bumped it up, especially CBs and that means that some not very fast current defenders are faster than some really quick players supposedly at their peak
  • Vixonner
    360 posts Sunday League Hero
    I just want robben instead of van persie and batistuta instead of riquelme/crespo
  • Alford5
    Lots of the older ones who 100% should be on game greaves,beckenbauer stefano etc
  • Metalfly
    1829 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited February 1
    Lol I don't mean to turn this into a debate about who is a better footballer, they are all great footballers, but I think Icons should be reserved for those players that defines an era, and perhaps give the kids nowadays an insight into footballers from a different time periods, not flood them with recent players just cos they might be popular.

It doesn't mean take these players out of the game, give them a Hero card so the fans can still play with their favourite players, but I think EA should start cutting down the number of Icon cards, most of the baby and mid versions don't add much to the game, it's even a disservice to the player IMO, the Icon cards were pretty special when they first came into FUT and now only very few are even looked at.

Although they do add to the gambling elements of any kind of Icon pack roll so I suppose it's in EA's interest to make it as bloated as possible.
  • CeeQue
    15070 posts World Class
    What they need to do is add FUT Icons.

Prime Emenike
    Prime Welliton
    Prime Dede the Center Back
    Prime Felipe Santàna

lawd.png
  • Jackwc
    2305 posts Fans' Favourite
    I agree with Owen being a hero card, after his Liverpool moved, he dropped off a cliff, should have at least 3 good club periods to justify a legend card + moments, Owen doesnt.

I'd also add

Larsson
    Okocha
    Shearer
    Riquelme

I'm not knocking the guy, but when I think of icons I think of players with 3 different periods in their career, whether it be at different clubs or across different ages

Like Ronaldinho at Milan with the headband, or Barca Dinho, both completely different players

With Shearer, he was too consistent, I know that sounds stupid, but he was basically the same type of player across his career, so giving him 4 cards seems pointless when he could get just one juiced up prem card instead that justify's his talent more.

788be86e933eeebfcefe23dcf52c12b4.png

Yeh that’s a fair point tbf. And that card you’ve come up with looks great and kind of usable 🔥 it’s a good thread for debate, nice to see so many differing opinions on icons. Probably only a dozen or so that people agree on
  • I SiR MartY I
    15286 posts World Class
    CeeQue wrote: »
    What they need to do is add FUT Icons.

Prime Emenike
    Prime Welliton
    Prime Dede the Center Back
    Prime Felipe Santàna

lawd.png

PIM Nilmar
  • BadSeedsFC
    3169 posts National Call-Up
    stop-fighting-no-fight.gif
  • D14
    3802 posts National Call-Up
    People need to keep in mind Icons have been around a lot longer than Hero's which essentially make their debut this year. Its something perhaps to be addressed in the next game rather than for anyone to worry about now.

People have some pretty valid points about players that are not particularly iconic, but more club legends/hero's, perhaps both will somewhat merge in the future with international icons/world cup/international tournament winnders, vs club icons players who won/most appearances/goals etc for their team.

Loads of ways for it to play out but in essence it doesn't matter
  • Chyp2075
    182 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Lackosweat wrote: »
    National heroes should be icons. They represented their own countries of millions of people. That’s iconic to me.

Roda Aantar icon card next FIFA!
  • Damo_Suzuki
    4012 posts National Call-Up

I'd also add

Larsson
    Okocha
    Shearer
    Riquelme

I understand your point about 3 good club periods. But to be fair to Owen he did win the Ballon d'or and people forget how good he was at his peak.

Can't say I like the little rat anymore though, me being a Liverpool fan!
  • Damo_Suzuki

Get outta here 🤡

I’m English and I always thought Gerrard was overrated to be honest.

He was a hero to Liverpool fans, but it was for his passion and drive more than his footballing talent.

Such bait in here!
  • Springveldt
    6927 posts Big Money Move

Get outta here 🤡

Gerrard best English midfielder 😂😂😂😂😂losr all credibility right there. Celtic and Liverpool fans famously w4nk each other off.
    He was clearly the best English midfielder of his generation. Even the pro's he played against think that considering he holds the record being voted 8 times into the Premier League team of the year by them.
  • SuaHarez
    18 posts Last Pick at the Park
    > @"I SiR MartY I" said:
    > I agree with Owen being a hero card, after his Liverpool moved, he dropped off a cliff, should have at least 3 good club periods to justify a legend card + moments, Owen doesnt.
    >
    > Ballack should remain an icon
    >
    > I'd also add
    >
    > Larsson
    > Okocha
    > Shearer
    > Riquelme

Agreed on Ballack but you’re way off about Larsson.
  • SuaHarez
    18 posts Last Pick at the Park
    > @Alford5 said:
    > Gerrard best English midfielder 😂😂😂😂😂losr all credibility right there. Celtic and Liverpool fans famously w4nk each other off.

Deluded United fans like you are hilarious. Zero football knowledge lol! 😂😂😂
  • I SiR MartY I
    15286 posts World Class

I'd also add

Larsson
    Okocha
    Shearer
    Riquelme

I understand your point about 3 good club periods. But to be fair to Owen he did win the Ballon d'or and people forget how good he was at his peak.

He was class, but having a hero card doesn't mean the player was bad, but for me Owen just didnt have enough good spells outside of those early seasons at Liverpool to get 4 cards, I'd give him a juiced up prem hero card for that d'Or season and leave him there

21eae4bea35f94d9fe2d65f6cb2f4fe6.png
  • Greekgod97
    539 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Maybe we shouldn’t discuss who doesnt need to be a icon. We should discuss why we would need Hero’s, sure some weren’t good enough to qualify to be an icon. Maybe EA should add players that were icons. Talking about: Batistuta, Romario, Neeskens, DeBoer, Bebeto, etc.
  • Damo_Suzuki

I'd also add

Larsson
    Okocha
    Shearer
    Riquelme

He was class, but having a hero card doesn't mean the player was bad, but for me Owen just didnt have enough good spells outside of those early seasons at Liverpool to get 4 cards, I'd give him a juiced up prem hero card for that d'Or season and leave him there

21eae4bea35f94d9fe2d65f6cb2f4fe6.png

I think your idea is good tbh. A single boosted hero card would do him more justice and it would be more useable. Same with Torres. He was only peak (but ridiculously good) for 3 seasons or so then he deteriorated to quite average. Even Owen's peak was was probably more sustained compared to Torres!
  • Johnny_Big_A
    99 posts Park Captain

I'd also add

Larsson
    Okocha
    Shearer
    Riquelme

He must be 12 years for not considered Shearer an icon
  • I SiR MartY I
    15286 posts World Class

I'd also add

Larsson
    Okocha
    Shearer
    Riquelme

He must be 12 years for not considered Shearer an icon

Keep scrolling and you'll see my post after that, gramps
  • Alford5

Get outta here 🤡

He was clearly the best English midfielder of his generation. Even the pro's he played against think that considering he holds the record being voted 8 times into the Premier League team of the year by them.

All the pros who played with or against him say scholes was the best of a generation, but some berk off Fifa forum says otherwise I wonder who to beleive 😂 Henry said on live tv he’s the best midfielder to ever play in prem, guardiola said on tv again just beofre 2011 champions league final scholes is the best midfielder generation of a whole generation but I’ll listen to someone called springveldt off a forum who probably ain’t even old enough to watch either.
  • Alford5
    SuaHarez wrote: »
    > @Alford5 said:
    > Gerrard best English midfielder 😂😂😂😂😂losr all credibility right there. Celtic and Liverpool fans famously w4nk each other off.

As above EVERYBODY who played with or against them picks scholes as the best, it’s only the bias bums like you who say otherwise.
  • Damo_Suzuki
    > @Alford5 said:

As above EVERYBODY who played with or against them picks scholes as the best, it’s only the bias bums like you who say otherwise.

Ah that's why Scholes was only in the PFA team of the year 2 times compared to Gerrard's 8.

Scholes won the club's fans player of the year award 0 times and had 0 Ballon d'Or votes ever.

Also Rooney even said Gerrard was better.

So it looks like the fellow professionals, his own clubs fans and some of his own team mates didn't think he was all that!
  • Alford5
    edited February 1
    Yea cos we all know nominations count for Anything 🤦‍♂️ How embarrassing. Vidic is the only defender to win prem player of year twice but I bet you’d disagree he was best defender the leagues ever seen. As for the Rooney comment that’s just ‘for England’
    Scholes retired in 2004 Rooney didn’t make his debut till 2003 😭 he literally says that in the exact interview he hardly played with scholes for England so it’d have to be between gerrard and Lampard.
  • Alford5
    > @Alford5 said:

Ah that's why Scholes was only in the PFA team of the year 2 times compared to Gerrard's 8.

Scholes won the club's fans player of the year award 0 times and had 0 Ballon d'Or votes ever.

Also Rooney even said Gerrard was better.

So it looks like the fellow professionals, his own clubs fans and some of his own team mates didn't think he was all that!

Imagine just making stuff up to suit 😭😭😭