Liverpool Football Club

Comments

• yosef167
    4491 posts National Call-Up
    VVD4 wrote: »
    Ashy wrote: »
    I didn't watch the game but let me get this straight.

1. The ref didn't give a pen originally?
    2. VAR looked at it and deemed it a clear and obvious error from the ref and ruled it a pen?
    3. The ref accepts VAR decision without even going to the monitor?

Now looking at the clip above it doesn't really look like a pen to me, certainly not clear and obvious. We've had many instances in the league when VAR sticks with the refs decision unless it's so so so obvious in the replay. So yet again no consistentcy. Having said that the pen didn't change the game or the result in the end so not a big problem

The ref did go to the monitor and changed his mind.

oh really
    then dont know anymore
    it looks 50/50 but its fair to be given
  • ViVaWho
    356 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited January 24
    I don't actually think the penalty decision was that bad. Have you watched the replay again after reading what I said above? He genuinely seemed to want to flick the ball over the keeper, and once he realised he missed, he changed direction to go for the ball, before being wiped out by the GK.

the issue is... the intent has no relevance, the ball didnt go over the keeper, it went wide so Jota couldnt do anything with the ball anyway (he had lost control of it at that point) so should not have been given

same reason you dont get a pen after a striker hits the ball wide and then gets taken out by the attempted block
  • VVD4
    5149 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 24
    ViVaWho wrote: »
    I don't actually think the penalty decision was that bad. Have you watched the replay again after reading what I said above? He genuinely seemed to want to flick the ball over the keeper, and once he realised he missed, he changed direction to go for the ball, before being wiped out by the GK.

the issue is... the intent has no relevance, the ball didnt go over the keeper, it went wide so Jota couldnt do anything with the ball anyway (he had lost control of it at that point) so should not have been given

same reason you dont get a pen after a striker hits the ball wide and then gets taken out by the attempted block

If Jota wasn't impeded by the GK, he absolutely could still have gotten to the ball. It went out of play very slowly.

We were on the receiving end of very similar stuff last season and they were all given as penalties. The 2 that stand out in my mind are

1. When Barnes (Burnley) punted the ball over Alisson and it went out of play, only for Barnes and Alisson to collide. Penalty given.

2. When TAA was sitting on the floor and an Everton player literally just ran into him and tripped over him. Penalty was given.

Goes without saying that rival fans called them penalties at the time.
  • Argie8
    6929 posts Big Money Move
    ViVaWho wrote: »
    Argie8 wrote: »
    I think it was a penalty although it was undoubtedly a soft one. The ball had gone and the keeper tried to pull out…but you can’t take players out without getting the ball. Same reason why pens are given from corners when the ball was nowhere near the ball and the attacker is taken out. The offside call for Ox’s goal is an interesting debate though

false, keeper pulled out and did not go across the path of the ball

which means jota initiated the contact, he moves towards the keeper instead of the ball

FJz-Ee-HSa-QAsld-LX.jpg

Jota runs in a straight line and the keeper takes him out
  • G000ner
    8107 posts League Winner
    Jota looks at the keeper, walks into him then dives. Never a pen and even more of a joke they have the nerve to overturn it.

Not sure if it's the worst this season because there's a few contenders, but it's right up there in my eyes.
  • VVD4
    edited January 24
    G000ner wrote: »
    Jota looks at the keeper, walks into him then dives. Never a pen and even more of a joke they have the nerve to overturn it.

Not sure if it's the worst this season because there's a few contenders, but it's right up there in my eyes.

Absolute rubbish. It happened in a split second. He didn’t have time to think of all that.

It’s clear that he tried to clip it over the keeper, but missed the ball, and then went to chase the loose ball, only for the GK to clatter him.
  • G000ner
    8107 posts League Winner

Absolute rubbish. It happened in a split second. He didn’t have time to think of all that.

It’s clear that he tried to clip it over the keeper, but missed the ball, and then went to chase the loose ball, only for the GK to clatter him.

You can see him in the replays Jota looking at the keeper as he touches it past him, then he moves towards the keeper away from the line of the ball. How much time do you think football players need to dive? They're able to make these decisions in split seconds and that's what makes them good.

Maybe it wasn't intentional on Jota's part, but there's no way of knowing that. All we know is he moves towards the keeper and away from the direction of the ball, so it's not a pen as he's essentially initiated the contact.

You're welcome to think differently but definitely one of the worst calls of the season for me. Nothing I hate more than when an attacker just walks into the keeper and wins a pen. Actually there is - the referees that buy it, even with video technology at their disposal.
  • VVD4

You can see him in the replays Jota looking at the keeper as he touches it past him, then he moves towards the keeper away from the line of the ball. How much time do you think football players need to dive? They're able to make these decisions in split seconds and that's what makes them good.

Maybe it wasn't intentional on Jota's part, but there's no way of knowing that. All we know is he moves towards the keeper and away from the direction of the ball, so it's not a pen as he's essentially initiated the contact.

You're welcome to think differently but definitely one of the worst calls of the season for me. Nothing I hate more than when an attacker just walks into the keeper and wins a pen. Actually there is - the referees that buy it, even with video technology at their disposal.

Why does he change direction to attempt to go for the loose ball if he’s intending to buy a foul from the keeper? He tries to flick it over the keeper and into the net, which explains why he went in that direction in the first place, then upon realising he has whiffed it, he quickly tries to change direction and go for the now loose ball. During this sequence, the GK has wiped him out.
  • VVD4
    Seems Elliot thinks he’ll be back after the break
  • Wyojasond
    17981 posts World Class
  • Cyodine
    5461 posts Big Money Move
    Wyojasond wrote: »

Same here, never heard of him until today but seems like a player we would sign.
  • Argie8
    6929 posts Big Money Move

numbers arent impressive for the dutch league
  • Ashy
    19678 posts World Class
    edited January 25
    Saw you linked with that Fulham player Fabio Carvalho. Not sure where he plays but he's on 8 goals 2 assists in 17 games
  • LFC Simon 98
    21680 posts Club Captain
    Ashy wrote: »
    Saw you linked with that Fulham player Fabio Carvalho. Not sure where he plays but he's on 8 goals 2 assists in 17 games

Think he usually plays as a 10. Having 8 goals would be impressive but only having 2 assists while he plays for Fulham who have 73 goals in 27 games somehow (next highest is 45) and him being the attacking mid is almost impressively low.

I’ve never really seen him play live tho so I’m basing everything off raw figures
  • Pietu
    11596 posts Has That Special Something
    He would be on a free so can't really go wrong with it.
  • Pxul_
    12038 posts Has That Special Something
    If he’s a 10 would he be a player who would be similar to Harvey or Coutinho?
  • tilen11
    7169 posts Big Money Move
    Games Ive seen Carvalho play, I have to say Im impressed. Looks to me as another gem in the making. His quality is undeniable.
  • tilen11
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    If he’s a 10 would he be a player who would be similar to Harvey or Coutinho?

Coutinho by the looks of it
  • Cyodine

Is it a loan or are they looking to buy? At this point, it's unlikely for him to see any minutes, I'd rather keep him until the summer though, at least we won't need to worry about any injuries. He's still a quality CB, he's just unlucky that Matip has remained injury free so far this season or else he most likely would have featured a bit this season.
  • tilen11
    .@IanDoyleSport: "I think this will be the busiest summer since 2018 in terms of incomings - but it might be a case of quality rather than quantity. A couple of big buys and perhaps some younger talent that can be brought through." #awlive [liverpool echo]
  • Cyodine
    tilen11 wrote: »
    .@IanDoyleSport: "I think this will be the busiest summer since 2018 in terms of incomings - but it might be a case of quality rather than quantity. A couple of big buys and perhaps some younger talent that can be brought through." #awlive [liverpool echo]

Sounds like he's making a statement anyone can make in terms of possible activity within transfer windows.
  • LFC Simon 98
    21680 posts Club Captain
    Who all did we sign that window?

Fabinho, Alisson, Shaq. And I guess Keita even tho the deal was done way before
  • Cyodine
    edited January 25
    Seems Mane was involved in a pretty serious head collision and was unconscious during the incident but regained consciousness moments after. Apparently Senegal haven't subbed him off but he's also just scored a banger, so hopefully he's ok.

Edit: They've subbed him off shortly after his goal.
  • arsenalap
    13090 posts Has That Special Something
    Cyodine wrote: »
    Seems Mane was involved in a pretty serious head collision and was unconscious during the incident but regained consciousness moments after. Apparently Senegal haven't subbed him off but he's also just scored a banger, so hopefully he's ok.

Bit mad they didn't sub him off?
  • arsenalap
    13090 posts Has That Special Something
    Also Egypt vs IC tomorrow. I'll give it a watch. How's Salah been doing?
  • Cyodine
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Cyodine wrote: »

Bit mad they didn't sub him off?

Very, didn't seem to have much regard for his safety, especially with a head injury.
  • yosef167
    4491 posts National Call-Up
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Also Egypt vs IC tomorrow. I'll give it a watch. How's Salah been doing?

Salah Isnt impressive for Egypt like he does for liverpool
    it has been always this way
    he fits the Portugal NT perfectly
  • Wyojasond
    17981 posts World Class
    Think Gomez stays til the summer. Koumetio could end up being 4th/5th choice with maybe another young cb targeted. Maybe a cheap young prospect from the championship.

• Pxul_
    12038 posts Has That Special Something
    Liverpool since Salah, Mane & Keita went away to AFCON:

• 5 games
    • 4 wins
    • 1 draw
    • Into Carabao Cup final
    • In FA Cup 4th round
    • Title race back on
    • Fabinho top scorer (4 goals)