Who Else Has Played Every Version To Date? FIFA International - FIFA 22

blue166
1460 posts Play-Off Hero
edited January 9
Hey guys,

Thought id start a casual topic about FIFA through the years.

I started my journey on the Sega Megadrive. Also played ISS (Pro Evo) round friends houses but stuck with buying FIFA myself. Played Actua soccer, World Cup Italia 90', Sensible soccer, World soccer and Kick off. maybe some others in there but these stick in the mind.

Played FIFA hardcore until 2004 - 2004 I sold and moved to PES 3. PES 4,5,6 - 2008 - 2008 was ok but they ruined the whole online mode. FIFA i tried during this time but was more complete feeling with PES. Moved back properly to FIFA with 09' Tried PES along the way but since PES 6 Konami have not done it for me. Though I have never been a fan boi of any series as I'll always try other titles.

Though there are things id certainly take from previous PES and throw into FIFA. I am sure PES even to today has always been more pure and less BS going on.

I hope this UFL game might turn out to be a decent alternative, time will tell I guess.

Anyway please join in...

Comments

• Smashed_It_Bro
    212 posts Sunday League Hero
    If you played FIFA between the years of 2000 and 2008 I feel very sorry for you because during those years PES was outstanding and twice the game FIFA was.

My first FIFA was International just like you and the one that I will always remember for being amazing at the time was 98 Road To The World Cup.... Amazing games.

My all time fave is FIFA 11
  • blupont
    19 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I've been playing since FIFA 08..
  • Cobblers
    121 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I've been playing Fifa since Fifa 95. This might be my last one, though, given how many bugs there are and how little effort seems to be being made to fix them.
  • HndL
    584 posts An Exciting Prospect
    FIFA 2005 was my first fifa ever but didn't get it again till fifa 09/08 (I really forgot..)
    Been playing winning eleven (pes) since winning eleven 3 till PES 13 that's when I totally moved to FIFA (tried pes 14/16/20, don't want to remember the experience cuz it will ruin my best childhood game).
    Didn't buy FIFA 19/20 (personal reasons)
  • GoonerB
    35 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Since the start here, although I never partook in the half yearly entries, world cup etc.

Will quite possibly be my last as well, due to the lack of effort from EA.
    Both for the lack of interest in fixing bugs and also for them not generally trying to improve the game in any way that isn't focused towards loot boxes.

If I do buy next year, it'll be well into the season when it's on sale, and, potentially the bugs have been sorted.

I'll put up with this one till then, or forever.
    The ball is entirely in EA's court, but I'm done with the hype train and the continuous let downs.

I almost exclusively play pro clubs, and while they put a load of effort into the mode in the early years, once they discovered the boat loads of cash that could be made with the other new mode at the time, FUT, it was game over for Clubs and brutality speaking, every other game mode also.

Its a shame they couldn't bring themselves to use that dosh to help improve the games many modes, but greed got to them it seems.

They built this mode and a large community followed, only for them to happily watch it slowly disintegrate due to lack of care and attention.

Perhaps with the license changes next year it may bring a fresh studio to the table, and the genre will improve because of it.

I really don't hold up much hope though.
  • marktko
    464 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Started on the mega drive with the very first one then switched to ISS 98 and pro evo till 200 9 then came back on fifa 2010. Not played this one for a couple of weeks and not fussed at all. Just no realism any more.

What's gone wrong in last few years
  • blue166
    1460 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 11
    I would say EA have taken their eyes firmly off the ball for pure greed with FUT. For a lot of players FUT has destroyed this game. I know plenty enjoy it but I'm sure if you sat them down long enough to see past spending money on players who are already in the game and took their mind set off building a dream team that doesn't matter as many others have the same maybe they would also see this.

EA in general are destroying games. Look at the state of Battlefield 2042. These games are getting 2 stars at best on review sites.

EA need to take a look at themselves and take there customers seriously. Not just these streamers.
  • GoonerB
    > @blue166 said:
    > I would say EA have taken their eyes firmly off the ball for pure greed with FUT. For a lot of players FUT has destroyed this game. I know plenty enjoy it but I'm sure if you sat them down long enough to see past spending money on players who are already in the game and took their mind set off building a dream team that doesn't matter as many others have the same maybe they would also see this.

I agree.

I'm amazed and probably was EA (and continues to be) and just how much money people are willing to spend on something that is completely meaningless and had a shelf life of less than 1 year.

Similar story with people and their "stats" or level when it come to clubs.
    It's totally meaningless.

For me, it there to add to the realism, building a guy up from a lower division side to a world beater. That's it.
    You can still play just fine with a vanilla VP.

Unfortunately, all this points to one of the issues being the user base imo.
    Too materialistic.

No other game would get away with it though.
    It seems now that the bells and whistles are more important than having a great functioning football sim.

It really should be the other way around.

I know it's slightly different, but you wouldn't see rave reviews for Microsoft Flight Sim if it looked great yet had no substance and performed badly.
    Yet with fifa it's all swept under the carpet by the weekly churn of new packs etc.

Its the gaming equivalent of distracting a toddler with a candy.
  • GoonerSoldier
    465 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Been playing Fifa since the days of Sega Genesis. In those games it was always difficult to score. And when you did it was very rewarding.

Fifa 22 and 21 are the complete opposite of that. Scoring is easy BORING and unrewarding.
  • RuddyElmate2022
    2305 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yes played all, after WC 98 as mentioned PES dominated for a while. Tried the Fifa games but eh, came back to Fifa in 07/08 maybe.
    I really enjoyed Fifa 15 for some reason, think I had a great time on UT with luck. Packed Gullit on Xbox and was set for the whole game.
  • MikeM24
    88 posts Park Captain
    Yep I'm an OG FIFA gamer. Bunked off school with a friend when it came out so we could watch it on the TV in Rumbelows! Got my copy for Christmas the month after release. Played pretty much every version there is, on pretty much every console.

I think the best for me was FIFA08 on the Xbox, the pacing and the feel perfectly captured the way football looks on TV. (Best ever version of FIFA I played was the FIFA11 Beta - on an EA tour in Reading - unfortunately it was tweaked before release, and the retail version had lost some of it).

Worst FIFA I ever played, probably FIFA64 on the (wait for it) N64.

I firmly believe that FUT is the single worst thing to happen to the franchise, because the moment the cash cow was there for milking, it became the priority over the core gameplay.
  • him7403
    41 posts Park Captain
    I think I have played every fifa game since FIFA 2001.
  • GoonerB
    F08 was a blast. Was that the first year BAP (Be A Pro) was introduced?

Game felt nicely balanced and paced - at least that's the way I remember it.
    F22's pace and balance was great in beta but it couldn't be more different if it tried at this point. Old gen feels faster than next gen, but it's still much quicker overall than the beta - at least it feels that way.

The only years that stick out as being truly awful in my mind was the early 2000's. I'm not sure why, but I seem to remember buying 2001 and playing it for less than a week before going back to ISS Pro 98.
    Man I loved that game. So basic and frankly awful when compared to today's standards, but had so much fun playing it.

Ironically, the commentary is just as repeatative today in F22 as it was in Pro 98... Nearly 25 years later

"He passes it...He passes it..."
  • RobRokk
    157 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited January 18
    Since fifa 15 i think.... I ttried a fotball game long before that and it sucked, it was when diablo came, around that time on pc...
  • MikeM24
    88 posts Park Captain
    GoonerB wrote: »
    F08 was a blast. Was that the first year BAP (Be A Pro) was introduced?

Game felt nicely balanced and paced - at least that's the way I remember it.
    F22's pace and balance was great in beta but it couldn't be more different if it tried at this point. Old gen feels faster than next gen, but it's still much quicker overall than the beta - at least it feels that way.

The only years that stick out as being truly awful in my mind was the early 2000's. I'm not sure why, but I seem to remember buying 2001 and playing it for less than a week before going back to ISS Pro 98.
    Man I loved that game. So basic and frankly awful when compared to today's standards, but had so much fun playing it.

Ironically, the commentary is just as repeatative today in F22 as it was in Pro 98... Nearly 25 years later

"He passes it...He passes it..."

Yeah on the Xbox and PS2 Gen - I really felt as you say the balance was really nice. The 08 on the X360 / PS3 was extremely stripped down if I remember (was it the one where you couldn't do skill moves - I might be thinking of 06) Also remember that year's World Cup game (first FIFA on the 360) had a brilliant in game substitution system that enabled you to cycle through the whole team - and not just three options. Speaking of brilliant innovations - Personally I think that 2003 had the best ever system for freekicks, you used the left stick to choose where to strike the ball (to apply spin and swerve etc) and the right aims at your target.