My BT is up for renewal…. Is there any difference switching isp’s

Wi1son73
3954 posts National Call-Up
Hi

I’m fibre to my curb/ exchange box . I’m using old style VDSL connection, micro filters etc.. speeds are 70/20
So I’m limited to what I can get, so is there any other provider that is better with gaming (fifa) or are they just the same, but with different offers….
The only upgrade BT offer is Halo3+ but still same speeds etc.. maybe a different router..

Anyone had BT halo 3 or switched to others and found it better ?

Comments

• Diddymow
    5802 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 10
    Avoid Sky at all costs.

ISPs in the UK only care about new customers so if price is important to you then find two good ones to bounce between. I use BT and Virgin but gave Sky a try this time as my wife wanted Sky TV. The first 2 months were great, after that they've started throttling the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ out of my connection at peak times.

If you want to stay with BT at the very least give them a call and pretend you're thinking about moving to another ISP, they'll give you a better deal.
  • Redlad
    1101 posts Professional
    I wouldn’t change it just for fifa mate. It’ll be poor whoever your provider is. Just get the best deal you can.
  • Wi1son73
    Diddymow wrote: »
    Avoid Sky at all costs.

ISPs in the UK only care about new customers so if price is important to you then find two good ones to bounce between. I use BT and Virgin but gave Sky a try this time as my wife wanted Sky TV. The first 2 months were great, after that they've started throttling the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ out of my connection at peak times.

If you want to stay with BT at the very least give them a call and pretend you're thinking about moving to another ISP, they'll give you a better deal.

The good thing with BT is I have 2 WiFi disk so everything in my house gets a connection.. But I feel my gaming suffers with BT (during the day) early morning late night good gameplay but during the day woeful. (I’m hardwired)

I can phone them to see what price they can offer .
    Thanks mate
  • CC84COV
    2921 posts National Call-Up
    I with Virgin I’m always on 12-25 ping heard good thing about Vodaphone one
  • Wi1son73
    Redlad wrote: »
    I wouldn’t change it just for fifa mate. It’ll be poor whoever your provider is. Just get the best deal you can.

That’s what makes me doubt myself.. Is it just me/location unlucky or is EA servers/game..
  • Wi1son73
    CC84COV wrote: »
    I with Virgin I’m always on 12-25 ping heard good thing about Vodaphone one

I’ll look into that…. Thanks
  • Springveldt
    6922 posts Big Money Move
    Doesn't really matter mate. I was with BT Fibre for years (at least 10 years since Fibre became available in my area and a few years on ADSL as well before) then 18 months ago switched to Sky. I switched to Plusnet a couple of weeks ago as my Sky contract was up and to be honest the connection is just the same. If anything I've maybe had a few more better nights with Plusnet but it's all random.

They all use BT's infrastructure at the end of the day so I just went with the cheapest, long standing provider I could find. With Plusnet I'm paying £23.99 for 80/20 so was £9 a month cheaper than what Sky wanted to renew and way cheaper than BT. I've also got my landline back since Sky are VOIP as well.

Probably worth stating that I only really play later at night after prime time. Last night I didn't start till around 23:10 after I got my autistic son to sleep. So if you play at prime time then there may be differences but I can't say really. I do know at prime time there are usually 3 or 4 streams going on in this house as the missus and me will be watching something, the daughter will be on Netflix, the son on Youtube with his iPad and Disney+ on his TV and the connection handles it fine, no throttling or anything.
  • FoxDie
    55 posts Park Captain
    doesn't matter. All other games are fine. It's just fifa.

I had BT and in my new home I have Sky. No difference
  • Wi1son73
    @Springveldt

I have no issue with streaming Netflix (4K) plus wee yin watching friends plus playing that Roblox lol.. I can play fifa with no one in the house and still struggle .. (during 10am-5pm) obviously way worse If I’m playing when they streaming etc.. Even SB’s is horrible

• Wi1son73
    FoxDie wrote: »
    doesn't matter. All other games are fine. It's just fifa.

I had BT and in my new home I have Sky. No difference

I did think that….
  • KRANG00
    1873 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just get the fastest you can afford and best deal you can, it will have no impact on Fifa.

No matter what you do at home it's still connected to a potato EA's side.
  • Redlad wrote: »

Pretty much this bud
  • CC84COV
    2921 posts National Call-Up
    If Fifa sorted better servers from the Billions they make we would all be fine with what ever Internet
  • Anadin7
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    Switch to Zen, they have slightly better gaming routing, but it probably won't make much difference tbh
  • Phil88lfc
    28 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I had bt fast fibre 300mb and been sound changing to sky though this week as the missus wants sky, they still use all BT’s fibre wiring so hopefully shudnt have too many problems
  • Wi1son73
    Thanks Lads..
    definitely going to phone BT see what they offer ..
  • Arsenalman
    3826 posts National Call-Up
    Sky and bt have better latency than virgin.