Comments

• Pietu
    11910 posts Has That Special Something
    edited January 2
    El_Nino wrote: »
    VVD4 wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »
    It’s not laughable at all. You’ve not been in front yet. Obviously you’ve got to attack, lmao. If you had scored that early goal it would be bus station.

Tuchel outplaying Klopp is getting in your head isn't it?

Klopp isn’t even there lmao

Which magically makes it not his team and set up?

Your getting desperate now.

I mean he wasn't there so it wasn't Tuchel vs Klopp and you should know that. Sure he obviously was communicating with them but it's not the same as actually managing them live, in flesh. Seems like Tuchel being worse than Klopp really got into your head today.
  • Cyodine
    5687 posts Big Money Move
    Pietu wrote: »
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    Nice to see the Liverpool fans crawling back into their holes

Says the biggest hole crawler here.

Pokes his head out long enough to make some noise and then ducks back in until his team is doing okay again. LOL :D
  • Ahmer50x
    31657 posts National Team Captain
    edited January 2
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Title race is well and truly over. Quite disappointing that after a summer spent predicting 3-4 teams in it.

Yet City run away in January again, just like last year.

United are the only ones that have truly underwhelmed.

Chelsea have been killed by injuries and COVID, and it appears that is is now our turn to be killed by it too, whereas City have been fine.

I'm sorry but that doesn't work for me re: Chelsea.

I'm more than happy to say United have been horrifically underwhelming.

But Chelsea were expected to compete BECAUSE they had the depth to challenge City but their depth just has turned out not to be as good as expected.

I don't think we can make excuses for their fall from grace. The expectations were set based on the assumption they would be able to cope better than they have.
  • Shshj
    12232 posts Has That Special Something
    edited January 2
    I don’t think that’s fair.

People were making comparisons and predictions based on our depth before we suffered an injury crisis.

Instead, we’ve lost Chilwell for the season and Silva, Lukaku, James, Kante, Kovacic, Mount & Pulisic have all missed weeks/months.

James & Chilwell, in particular, are massive misses with the way we play. Players like Sarr & Barkley, who are the backups to the backups, are receiving match time.

I don’t think we would’ve won the league regardless, but you cannot deny that our injury crisis hasn’t put a massive dent in our title hopes.
  • VVD4
    5777 posts Big Money Move
    Agreed. I mean, I didn’t have you challenging all the way due to the underlying numbers, but the injury issues and COVID issues have made it virtually impossible.

Just like what happened to us last season. NGL, it’s annoying seeing certain fans who called our injuries excuses last season, now changing their stance because it’s happening to their team for once, but it’s true. You can’t be expected to compete with a fully fit City under those circumstances.
  • El_Nino
    9556 posts League Winner
    edited January 2
    @Ahmer50x your point would be relevant if City had also had issues and relied on back ups, but they've had almost zero issues, 1 or two injuries and next to no Covid issues, they have been unbelievably lucky this season.

While Chelsea have had injury after injury go crucial players, on top of Covid.

Ofcourse our depth can't compete with City's starting XI week in week out.
  • Snugglebites
    2920 posts Fans' Favourite
    I just looked at the table for the first time this season, didn't expect Burnley to be 18th.
  • Low Ki
    13947 posts Has That Special Something
    Even if they do have COVID issues City's depth puts them above all other top teams who have COVID outbreaks. They can rotate almost all their XI worst case.
  • VVD4
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Even if they do have COVID issues City's depth puts them above all other top teams who have COVID outbreaks. They can rotate almost all their XI worst case.

Tbf even City would struggle if they had what’s happened to Chelsea this season or us last season happen to them. In 2019/20, they didn’t replace Kompany and Laporte got injured and that was enough for them to be unable to keep up with us. If they suddenly lost all their CBs now like we did in 20/21, they would tank. As would every team.
  • WryLucky
    6202 posts Big Money Move
    Man City also struggled when they had to put Steffen and Mendy into the team.
  • Low Ki
    13947 posts Has That Special Something
    WryLucky wrote: »

Isn't Mendy indefinitely suspended while he's pending a trial?
  • WryLucky
    6202 posts Big Money Move
    Low Ki wrote: »
    WryLucky wrote: »

Isn't Mendy indefinitely suspended while he's pending a trial?

He is now, but when they did.
  • Shshj
    12232 posts Has That Special Something
    edited January 2
    City have the best depth in the league (probably the world to be fair).

But if you were to strip them of Cancelo, Walker, Dias, Silva, KDB, Jesus and Foden then they’d be struggling too.

They’re a ridiculously good side and deserve the plaudits they receive - but it’s also okay to admit that they’ve been very fortunate over the last couple of years too.
  • AaronMFC
    2660 posts Fans' Favourite
    I feel its more teams with injuries being unfortunate. Dont think saying they havent had an injury crisis is fortunate really. Not sure if there is any relevance to this but dont they tackle up there as the least in the league as well could that be one of the reasons they get less injuries.
  • Mike_Pickford
    3949 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 3
    This suggestion that City haven't run into issues with injuries/COVID this season is nonsense.

We've been without Walker, Stones, Zinchenko, Gundogan, KDB, Grealish, Torres and Foden for pretty significant spells. It hasn't been noticed because we have tremendous depth (incidentally, ranked below Chelsea by some in these quarters at the beginning of the season) and other players have stepped up. Most of those guys were bonafide starters last season.

Perhaps we've been fortunate not to have had a massive outbreak over the holidays, like some clubs have, but I do think that has something to do with the club's protocols. Foden, Zinchenko, Rodri and KDB have tested positive at different times in recent weeks - all isolated incidents that didn't spread throughout the rest of the squad/staff.
    Post edited by Mike_Pickford on
  • VVD4
    edited January 3
    This suggestion that City haven't run into issues with injuries/COVID this season is nonsense.

We've been without Walker, Stones, Zinchenko, Gundogan, KDB, Grealish, Torres and Foden for pretty significant spells. It hasn't been noticed because we have tremendous depth (incidentally, ranked below Chelsea by some in these quarters at the beginning of the season) and other players have stepped up. Most of those guys were bonafide starters last season.

Perhaps we've been fortunate not to have had a massive outbreak over the holidays, like some clubs have, but I do think that has something to do with the club's protocols. Foden, Zinchenko, Rodri and KDB have tested positive at different times in recent weeks - all isolated incidents that didn't spread throughout the rest of the squad/staff.

It’s a bit embarrassing to compare City’s injuries to what Chelsea has gone through this season. City’s injuries have been very much so a normal amount and nicely spread out, which most Clubs can deal with just fine.

Including players like Grealish and saying “significant spells” is a bit embarrassing too, as he has only not been in the squad for 2 match-weeks out of 20. Gundogan has only missed 3 out of 20. Zinchenko has only missed 4. KDB has missed 5 out of 20, which is getting there, but still not that significant, compared to losing Chilwell for the rest of the season, and all of the other injuries Chelsea have had. Lukaku has missed 8/20. James looks like he’s going to be out for months. Kovacic has missed 8, Werner has missed 8, Kante has missed 8, etc.

Then ofc, there’s the COVID clusters over the winter on top of that.

I don’t buy that City’s protocols are the reason they’ve not had an outbreak. It’s just luck. Let’s not forget that City had an outbreak last season and closed down the training ground and got games postponed.
  • El_Nino
    9556 posts League Winner

Your injuries as pointed out by VVD4 are nothing compared to ours, ludicrous to compare them.

You've had luck with Covid, nothing more, are you seriously trying to tell me the likes of Foden are model people in terms of dealing with the Covid situation, feels like there's evidence to the contrary...
  • Mike_Pickford
    3949 posts National Call-Up
    It wasn't my intention to straight up compare City's situation with Chelsea's - that would be ridiculous. As you pointed out, they have several long-term injuries, whereas ours have been a collection of short-term problems. Maybe I shouldn't have made the comment about their depth vs ours, but I wanted to drive home the point that many felt Chelsea's squad was stronger heading into this season. And address this notion that City have been fully-fit all season and completely unaffected by injuries. That's just not true.

My COVID point is pure speculation and doesn't really have any basis. I just think the club must have some pretty stringent screening/testing measures in place to have avoided a mass outbreak when at least four individuals have tested positive over the past 5/6 weeks.

Regarding Foden - I agree with you, @El_Nino . He's been a fool with his partying antics. Once Guardiola found out, he and Grealish were dropped and told to stay away from the training ground until medical staff were certain they hadn't contracted COVID (as per Sam Lee). That's pretty extreme if you ask me, but shows how seriously the club is handling things.

• finsfan85
    14167 posts Has That Special Something
    yosef167 wrote: »
    i just saw of we win our 3 missed games we are 3 points behind chelsea wow

🤣
  • Snugglebites
    2920 posts Fans' Favourite
    Torres leaves City and immediately tests positive. Convenient.
  • Cyodine
    5687 posts Big Money Move
    Torres leaves City and immediately tests positive. Convenient.

@Mike What kind of praying are you doing to keep COVID away from City?
  • Ashy
    20064 posts Club Captain
    edited January 4
    Surely they not got him that cheap? Man Utd should be in for him

• VVD4
    Ashy wrote: »
    Surely they not got him that cheap? Man Utd should be in for him

32 this year, contract is up next Summer, not been that good recently.
  • El_Nino
    9556 posts League Winner
    With our injury issues and Azpi likely leaving we should be after him, nice back up to James.
  • VVD4
    Remember the 2019/20 season, when COVID struck around March and many were crying for the League to be null and void? City fans in particular. Even West Ham's Karren Brady came out and said it should be.

Silent now though, even though it is much worse this time round. Funny that.
  • SimenHP
    5269 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 4
    Remember the 2019/20 season, when COVID struck around March and many were crying for the League to be null and void? City fans in particular. Even West Ham's Karren Brady came out and said it should be.

I said that over a month ago. Not to finish the whole season entirely, but that the league should be postponed December and maybe January and then see how the Covid situation is, and if they can they should instead finish the league in late June.
  • CFCsjmishra
    9314 posts League Winner

It is not worse. Most people are vaccinated, the latest variant is very mild and knowledge about the virus, in general, is a lot more.
  • Stlducks
    9200 posts League Winner

It is not worse. Most people are vaccinated, the latest variant is very mild and knowledge about the virus, in general, is a lot more.

Exactly. When things were new everyone was afraid. Now with more vaccines, knowledge and the fact covid has been around for a year, no reason to keep canceling things.