7513 posts League Winner
    Overpriced and overrated. Wouldn't be keen
  • Ashy
    18057 posts World Class
    Calvert Lewin
    Vlahović
    Isak

Are the top 3 targets I assume

Kulusevski also linked but he wouldn't play lone striker be more of a shadow striker in the position Laca players

Alvarez at River Plate is also a good shout, has a low release clause.
  • G000ner
    7513 posts League Winner
    If we start a front 4 of
    Martinelli
    Smith Rowe-Ode-Saka

Who takes pens? Surely got to be Martinelli unless AMN plays over Lokonga
  • arsenalap
    11723 posts Has That Special Something
    Ode or ESR imo. Honestly recon White would be good at them.
  • arsenalap
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Interesting.

I think with Partey, we need someone who is mobile with recovery pace and a good engine with Sanches has.

Fits the profile of the signings we are going for too, but tbh no idea what level he can reach.
  • G000ner
    7513 posts League Winner

Auba is gonna keep starting cos Arteta can't admit he was wrong to offer him a massive contract. It's Willian all over again.

By the time he realises we're better without Auba our top 4 hopes will be gone. I have no confidence in us picking up wins atm
  • arsenalap
    G000ner wrote: »

Auba is gonna keep starting cos Arteta can't admit he was wrong to offer him a massive contract. It's Willian all over again.

By the time he realises we're better without Auba our top 4 hopes will be gone. I have no confidence in us picking up wins atm

He wasn't wrong offering him the contract.

And I find it actually daft how Arsenal fans now think so.

At the time I don't remember anyone who was against it. Literally nobody. So it's easy to say now but let's not suddenly blame Arteta on it.
  • Ashy
    18057 posts World Class
    Some stats

- Everton did the double over us last season
    - We haven't won at Goodison in the last 3 seasons, losing 2 and drawing 1
    - In those 3 games we have scored 1 goal which was a penalty
    - Auba has scored 3 goals against Everton in his last 3 starts
  • arsenalap
    edited December 2021
    Aubas stats are now irrelevant ha. He had a great record vs Newcastle too.

Ramsdale
    Tomiyasu - White - Gabriel - Tierney
    Partey - Lokonga
    Martinelli - Odegaard - ESR
    Auba

Probably what I'd go for. Don't want Auba starting but he will.
  • G000ner
    7513 posts League Winner
    arsenalap wrote: »

At the time I don't remember anyone who was against it. Literally nobody. So it's easy to say now but let's not suddenly blame Arteta on it.

I don't blame Arteta for offering him the contract, I blame him for continuing to start him because he's afraid to drop him. Same thing with Willian.

Offering him such a large contract was wrong. I didn't have a problem with it and I was wrong too. Just because no one thought it at the time, it was still a bad decision and I doubt we make the same mistake again after being burned on two occasions.
  • Ashy
    18057 posts World Class
    Smith Rowe may be a doubt, Saka could start with Martinelli on the left
  • arsenalap

I don't blame Arteta for offering him the contract, I blame him for continuing to start him because he's afraid to drop him. Same thing with Willian.

Offering him such a large contract was wrong. I didn't have a problem with it and I was wrong too. Just because no one thought it at the time, it was still a bad decision and I doubt we make the same mistake again after being burned on two occasions.

But he did drop Willian eventually and binned him.

Again, I won't ever criticise that decision on Auba. There were no signs at all he'd suddenly slow down and keeping him was a huge thing at the time.

Now if we suddenly offered Laca a new contract I'd have an issue, but I think they've finally learnt that its not worth the risk.
  • G000ner
    7513 posts League Winner

Again, I won't ever criticise that decision on Auba. There were no signs at all he'd suddenly slow down and keeping him was a huge thing at the time.

Now if we suddenly offered Laca a new contract I'd have an issue, but I think they've finally learnt that its not worth the risk.

Took too long though and it will be even longer with Auba because he's actually been good for Arteta in the past and is club captain. Also works relatively hard whereas Willian didn't even press. I'd say we lost quite a few points last season because of Arteta's reluctance to drop Willian and think it will be the same with Auba this season.

As I said, not criticising the decision to offer the contract. It was the right decision at the time, but with the information we have now we can say it's wrong.
  • arsenalap

Took too long though and it will be even longer with Auba because he's actually been good for Arteta in the past and is club captain. Also works relatively hard whereas Willian didn't even press. I'd say we lost quite a few points last season because of Arteta's reluctance to drop Willian and think it will be the same with Auba this season.

As I said, not criticising the decision to offer the contract. It was the right decision at the time, but with the information we have now we can say it's wrong.

I do sort of agree, but as much as i'd love to see:

Saka - Odegaard - ESR
    Martinelli

I honestly think it would get bullied against quite a few sides. The consistency just isn't there.

Auba and Laca have also got consistent faults, but defenders still worry about them.
  • G000ner
    7513 posts League Winner

I do sort of agree, but as much as i'd love to see:

Saka - Odegaard - ESR
    Martinelli

I honestly think it would get bullied against quite a few sides. The consistency just isn't there.

Auba and Laca have also got consistent faults, but defenders still worry about them.

I think just put Laca in for Odegaard and it solves that problem, he works well with the young players and helps link things up. Odegaard can rotate in for any of the front 4 depending on the fixture.

I remember it was the Laca-Martinelli-ESR-Saka front four that turned our form last season with the win at Chelsea. Feels like it's coming full circle
  • arsenalap
    Yh maybe that could work well
  • Ashy
    18057 posts World Class
    Why does Fab pimp out Vlahović every time he scores? :D

• G000ner
    7513 posts League Winner
    Also seems like Xhaka is back in full training so we could see him back in the team in the next couple of weeks. Actually pretty big for us with the inconsistencies of our midfielders.
  • G000ner
    7513 posts League Winner
    Ashy wrote: »
    Why does Fab pimp out Vlahović every time he scores? :D

Definitely doing some favours for Vlahovic's agents. He did a similar thing with Locatelli, constantly linking us with him even though we never had a chance over Juve.
  • Ahmer50x
    31409 posts National Team Captain
    Vlahovic is incredible.

Can play for any team in the world IMO
  • G000ner
    7513 posts League Winner
    Seems like there's too many big clubs in for him for us to stand s chance now
  • Ashy
    18057 posts World Class
    What do you think about Schick? 12 goals in 11 Bundesliga games, 25 years old
  • arsenalap

Nope.

I want either a proven striker or a top young striker. Any in between and we'll just be hit and miss again.
  • Shshj
    10252 posts Has That Special Something
    Isak still seems like a shout. I don’t know much about him but David from Lille perhaps?

I like Calvert-Lewin, not for the price he’d cost though.
  • G000ner
    7513 posts League Winner
    Schick could work out but he's only really been good the last 6 months or so and he's 4 years older than Vlahovic.

Obviously would be an improvement on Auba, but a risk. I guess you could say that about most strikers coming from other leagues though.

DCL is the safest but I don't see him ever being above a top 6 quality striker.

Trust Arteta to make the right call whoever we end up with
  • Ashy
    18057 posts World Class

Nope.

I want either a proven striker or a top young striker. Any in between and we'll just be hit and miss again.

So Vlahović, Isak, DCL maybe Watkins or Toney?
  • Ashy
    18057 posts World Class
    edited December 2021
    Shshj wrote: »
    Isak still seems like a shout. I don’t know much about him but David from Lille perhaps?

I like Calvert-Lewin, not for the price he’d cost though.

David is good but he's seen as more of a shadow striker bit like Laca when he plays for us now and we've been linked with Kulusevski recently which would play that role. Neither would work as a lone striker imo

But Vlahović is very unlikely to happen unless we get top 4 and are aggressive in the market

So it's Isak or DCL, both valued at like £70-80m I'd imagine and I'm not even sure Isak would come unless we get UCL from the rumours I've seen.
  • arsenalap

Nope.

So Vlahović, Isak, DCL maybe Watkins or Toney?

No to Watkins, maybe the rest.

I'll trust the recruitment for now.