5867 posts Big Money Move
    VVD4 wrote: »
    Cyodine wrote: »
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Ashy wrote: »
    I'm sure when you win the xPts trophy you'll have a open top bus parade

Stay in your lane, pal.

Edit: I don't expect us to win the xPoints table, anyway. City will win that, and they will likely win the real thing as well, as predicted.

This dude writes books about people who wrote Liverpool off for not picking them to win it all and then he says City will win. 🤷🏻‍♂️

People wrote us out of the title challenge, @VVD4 has stated a few times now that he expects City to win it. There wasn't much of a valid reason for people to dismiss us this season or put Chelsea/United ahead of us when we lacked a fully fit XI most of last season.

Crazy how often the narrative changes.

I'm just waiting for the day they claim we wrote ourselves out of the race and they all had us pegged to challenge or win it.
  • VVD4
    6457 posts Big Money Move
    Stlducks wrote: »
    I'm sure when you win the xPts trophy you'll have a open top bus parade

Stay in your lane, pal.

Edit: I don't expect us to win the xPoints table, anyway. City will win that, and they will likely win the real thing as well, as predicted.

This dude writes books about people who wrote Liverpool off for not picking them to win it all and then he says City will win. 🤷🏻‍♂️

People wrote us out of the title challenge, @VVD4 has stated a few times now that he expects City to win it. There wasn't much of a valid reason for people to dismiss us this season or put Chelsea/United ahead of us when we lacked a fully fit XI most of last season.

Crazy how often the narrative changes.

I'm just waiting for the day they claim we wrote ourselves out of the race and they all had us pegged to challenge or win it.

:D

It’s so predictable
  • Argie8
    7098 posts Big Money Move
    Argie8 wrote: »
    Tbh wasn’t the main argument this summer that our lack of strength in depth would ultimately cost us the title (mainly attacking strength in depth). Lots of defending was done about Origi and in fairness he’s done better than expected but ultimately we are still 4th in the table which is exactly where most neutrals seemed to put us. Not exactly a big win overall is it or worthy of gloating about :#

We are 4th, but it is nothing to be concerned about at this stage. In terms of xPoints, the title race is still shaping up to be what was predicted by @Cyodine and I. In the real table, we are only 4 points off the top with 84 points still to play for.

eUmkSIuPwsISotgD5nwqnEn7Fz4lehkuzHqkeOkv8uE.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=0f07a9883addc4ecfb6d55f688e75bb554bf301b

We have now slipped behind our xPoints, which is annoying, but the silver lining is that we are playing better than what the real table currently indicates, and logic says the table will reflect that, over time.

Chelsea are still vastly overperforming, and I do still expect that to revert to the mean sooner or later. They can definitely continue to overperform, just as we did in 19/20, but we overperformed by 50% in that entire season. Chelsea were overperforming by 250%(!!!) the last time I checked, which, frankly, is not sustainable, but still impressive all the same, so it will be interesting to see if they can keep that up (highly unlikely).

A win against Arsenal (another team that is vastly overperforming at this point) and then Southampton after the break (both at home) should get things looking rosy again.

Edit: In the time that we have Arsenal and Southampton at home, Chelsea go to Leicester and Man United, whilst City play Everton and West Ham, so that will be an exciting 2 rounds.

There are still plenty of points left to play for and as a Liverpool supporter I hope we improve as we’ve thrown away far too many points this season. The weekly gloating posts when we were doing well now look even sillier though considering we are currently 4th in the table, which was the main point of contention . Again, plenty of games left, so a whole lot can change, but I wouldn’t be going through any old posts and calling people out again … or save it until the end of the season when proven right/wrong.
  • VVD4
    Tbh wasn’t the main argument this summer that our lack of strength in depth would ultimately cost us the title (mainly attacking strength in depth). Lots of defending was done about Origi and in fairness he’s done better than expected but ultimately we are still 4th in the table which is exactly where most neutrals seemed to put us. Not exactly a big win overall is it or worthy of gloating about :#

We are 4th, but it is nothing to be concerned about at this stage. In terms of xPoints, the title race is still shaping up to be what was predicted by @Cyodine and I. In the real table, we are only 4 points off the top with 84 points still to play for.

eUmkSIuPwsISotgD5nwqnEn7Fz4lehkuzHqkeOkv8uE.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=0f07a9883addc4ecfb6d55f688e75bb554bf301b

We have now slipped behind our xPoints, which is annoying, but the silver lining is that we are playing better than what the real table currently indicates, and logic says the table will reflect that, over time.

Chelsea are still vastly overperforming, and I do still expect that to revert to the mean sooner or later. They can definitely continue to overperform, just as we did in 19/20, but we overperformed by 50% in that entire season. Chelsea were overperforming by 250%(!!!) the last time I checked, which, frankly, is not sustainable, but still impressive all the same, so it will be interesting to see if they can keep that up (highly unlikely).

A win against Arsenal (another team that is vastly overperforming at this point) and then Southampton after the break (both at home) should get things looking rosy again.

Edit: In the time that we have Arsenal and Southampton at home, Chelsea go to Leicester and Man United, whilst City play Everton and West Ham, so that will be an exciting 2 rounds.

There are still plenty of points left to play for and as a Liverpool supporter I hope we improve as we’ve thrown away far too many points this season. The weekly gloating posts when we were doing well now look even sillier though considering we are currently 4th in the table, which was the main point of contention . Again, plenty of games left, so a whole lot can change, but I wouldn’t be going through any old posts and calling people out again … or save it until the end of the season when proven right/wrong.

I will gloat when I want, thanks. Lmao.
  • Argie8

That’s fine but it just makes you look dumb a week later :D All the posts last week calling people out for saying we would finish 4th when we are now literally 4th is a big yikes. Can’t complain about receiving criticism if you carry on like that
  • VVD4

That’s fine but it just makes you look dumb a week later :D All the posts last week calling people out for saying we would finish 4th when we are now literally 4th is a big yikes. Can’t complain about receiving criticism if you carry on like that

That literally makes no sense though. Being 4th right now doesn’t mean we are out of the title race. We are 4 points off the top :D so I’m still right, regardless. Or at the very least, not wrong yet.
  • arsenalap
    13818 posts Has That Special Something
    edited November 2021

That literally makes no sense though. Being 4th right now doesn’t mean we are out of the title race. We are 4 points off the top :D so I’m still right, regardless. Or at the very least, not wrong yet.

This post is absolutely madness seeing as you spent months arguing the fact that a few of us saying you could finish 4th means we are writing you off a title race.

Yes it's early in the season, but that doesn't mean come the end of the season it still can't be tight.

I'm trying to not bother getting into arguments anymore but I don't understand why you feel the need to be proven right time and time again. Just let the season fold out and see at the end of it.
  • Argie8
    edited November 2021

Dude you were basically taking victory laps every week in here after each win and going through old posts about people’s predictions…yet we are currently exactly where people predicted :joy: Last week has turned into a major L for you and we could all see it backfiring. this Is why weekly gloating gets us nowhere, especially this early in the season. And yeah, 4 points off isn’t terrible but we’re also below West Ham and two points ahead of a “hopeless “ Arsenal…
  • VVD4
    El_Nino wrote: »

You literally said time and time over me saying you would finish 4th is writing you off, but now your acknowledging being 4th is still well in the title race?

Talk about changing narratives...
    arsenalap wrote: »

This post is absolutely madness seeing as you spent months arguing the fact that a few of us saying you could finish 4th means we are writing you off a title race.

Yes it's early in the season, but that doesn't mean come the end of the season it still can't be tight.

I'm trying to not bother getting into arguments anymore but I don't understand why you feel the need to be proven right time and time again. Just let the season fold out and see at the end of it.

Dude you were basically taking victory laps every week in here after each win and going through old posts about people’s predictions…yet we are currently exactly where people predicted :joy: Last week has turned into a major L for you and we could all see it backfiring. this Is why weekly gloating gets us nowhere, especially this early in the season. And yeah, 4 points off isn’t terrible but we’re also below West Ham and two points ahead of a “hopeless “ Arsenal…

Jesus Christ, lmao.

Predicting us to finish 4th before the season has even started IS writing us off for the title. Especially when you say things like “4th at best”, which clearly implies that we won’t even challenge, or “it’s Klopp’s Dortmund all over again”, which also clearly implies that we won’t challenge.

Maybe one or two people said something like “I think Liverpool will finish 4th, but it’ll be very close” but I’m not talking about them, obviously. I’m talking about the ones that clearly implied that I was in dreamland for thinking Liverpool would be challenging for the title or that our squad could compete with City, Chelsea, and United’s squads.

Being 4th in game week 10 has absolutely nothing to do with any of the above.

I’m pretty sure @Cyodine and I have already touched upon the fact that our gloating early in the season isn’t to be taken seriously, as it is just a bit of fun. It’s hilarious how much it has bothered some people.

I can, and will continue to gloat/banter whenever possible. It doesn’t change a thing. Feel free to banter me back, I’m not gonna cry about it, lmao.
  • arsenalap
    13818 posts Has That Special Something

You literally said time and time over me saying you would finish 4th is writing you off, but now your acknowledging being 4th is still well in the title race?

Jesus Christ, lmao.

Predicting us to finish 4th before the season has even started IS writing us off for the title. Especially when you say things like “4th at best”, which clearly implies that we won’t even challenge, or “it’s Klopp’s Dortmund all over again”, which also clearly implies that we won’t challenge.

Maybe one or two people said something like “I think Liverpool will finish 4th, but it’ll be very close” but I’m not talking about them, obviously. I’m talking about the ones that clearly implied that I was in dreamland for thinking Liverpool would be challenging for the title or that our squad could compete with City, Chelsea, and United’s squads.

I’m pretty sure @Cyodine and I have already touched upon the fact that our gloating early in the season isn’t to be taken seriously, as it is just a bit of fun. It’s hilarious how much it has bothered some people.

I can, and will continue to gloat/banter whenever possible. It doesn’t change a thing. Feel free to banter me back, I’m not gonna cry about it, lmao.

I do agree with you here, that anyone who said at best, yes that's fair enough they are writing you off.

But, from history I remember 2 or 3 people phrasing it that way. But more people than not said you have a chance still, it'll come down to whichever sides weakness plays up most as all 4 had issues. The issue people have is you're just grouping everyone together saying everyone wrote you off. That isn't true. It was 50/50 at worst.
  • VVD4

Jesus Christ, lmao.

I do agree with you here, that anyone who said at best, yes that's fair enough they are writing you off.

But, from history I remember 2 or 3 people phrasing it that way. But more people than not said you have a chance still, it'll come down to whichever sides weakness plays up most as all 4 had issues. The issue people have is you're just grouping everyone together saying everyone wrote you off. That isn't true. It was 50/50 at worst.

All the quotes I dug up from before (and there was lots) were from people who clearly wrote us off in the way that they addressed our title challenging credentials. Wording is key. Like you said, saying "4th at best" isn't very ambiguous. It's clear. Same goes for calling me a crazy person for thinking we would genuinely challenge.

I am not, and was never talking about the people who genuinely had us as title challengers, but during the summer, those were few and far between, let's be honest.

There wouldn't have been so many aggressive debates if most actually said we were still gonna challenge.
  • VVD4
    edited November 2021
    0fbmjkyycmy71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e69e765b2126b4be8e311240a1211e6e5b62b095

Good to see 3 Liverpool players in there.
  • El_Nino
    9813 posts League Winner
    edited November 2021
    Be it poorly worded or not, you've had it explained to you time and time again what was meant by 4th at best.

Something tells me you'll choose not to believe though as it suits your narrative.
  • VVD4
    edited November 2021
    Be it poorly worded or not, you've had it explained to you time and time again what was meant by 4th at best.

Something tells me you'll choose not to believe though as it suits your narrative.

“4th at best” cannot be taken in any other way, lmao. You didn’t only say that, but you also doubled down and explained why you had us 4th at best. Because we only signed Konate and you said that wasn’t enough.

Not enough for what, I wonder? Stop back-tracking.
  • finsfan85
    14167 posts Has That Special Something
  • Cyodine
    finsfan85 wrote: »

He just hasn't fully accepted our lord and savior Divock Origi into his life yet.
  • VVD4
    edited November 2021
    finsfan85 wrote: »

And I maintain that these kind of takes make zero sense, as our squad is literally better, and deeper than the 18/19 and 19/20 squads that saw us win the CL and the PL. I refuse to entertain the idea that the likes of United and Chelsea have overtaken those Liverpool teams, let alone the further improved squad we have now. City have always been thereabouts, or better, though, which I’ve never denied.

Like I said countless times in the summer, our second string 11 might not be quite as good as the second string 11s of Chelsea, United and City, overall, but our first 11 is the best of the lot, which more than balances it out, considering they are the guys that are going to play most of the games.

The likes of Jota, Origi, Keita, Tsimikas, Konate, Elliot, Kelleher and Jones have certainly already shown what they can bring to the side, when needed.

Edit: in direct response to that tweet/your post… so, we’re being written off, yeah?
  • Cyodine
    0fbmjkyycmy71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e69e765b2126b4be8e311240a1211e6e5b62b095

Speaks volumes, especially when City and Chelsea only have one player each on the list. Interesting that I don't see Lukaku on that list, or Sancho, or even Ronaldo.
  • Ashy
    21018 posts Club Captain
    edited November 2021

Speaks volumes, especially when City and Chelsea only have one player each on the list. Interesting that I don't see Lukaku on that list, or Sancho, or even Ronaldo.

Shows how much you rely on Salah and Mane, a injury to one and it could spiral, while Chelsea can score from anywhere on the pitch
  • VVD4
    edited November 2021
    Mane - Firmino - Salah
    Thiago - Henderson
    Fabinho
    Robertson - VVD - Matip - TAA
    Alisson

Jota - Origi - Minamino
    Keita/AOC - Elliot/Jones
    Milner
    Tsimikas - Konate - Gomez/Phillips - N.Williams
    Kelleher/Adrian

I cannot, for the life of me, see how anyone can view that as a weaker overall squad than what Chelsea or United have.

Let's compare to Chelsea, for argument's sake, and we'll use Chelsea's 3atb 11s to make it easier (and this isn't based on just this season alone):

Alisson = Mendy
    Robertson > Alonso
    VVD > Rudiger
    Matip < T.Silva
    Konate < Christensen
    TAA > James
    Fabinho > Jorginho
    Thiago = Kovacic
    Salah > Lukaku
    Mane > Werner
    Firmino > Havertz

7 in Liverpool's favour, 2 draws and 2 in Chelsea's favour.

Kelleher < Kepa
    Tsimikas = Chilwell
    Gomez = Azpilicueta
    Phillips = Chabolah
    N/A < Sarr
    N.Williams < CHO
    Henderson < Kante
    Keita > RLC
    Elliot < Mount
    Jota > Pulisic
    Origi > Ziyech

3 in Liverpool's favour, 3 draws and 5 in Chelsea's favour.

Some leftovers:

Milner = Saul
    Jones = Barkley
    AOC > N/A
    Minamino > N/A

2 in Liverpool's favour, 2 draws, 0 in Chelsea's favour.

That leaves my total as

12 in Liverpool's favour, 7 draws and 7 in Chelsea's favour.

I think I have been more than fair too.
  • Cyodine

Shows how much you rely on Salah and Mane, a injury to one and it could spiral, while Chelsea can score from anywhere on the pitch

Firmino and Jota have 4 goals in the PL as well and we also have Origi and Taki doing bits when they start and Keita has been scoring freely as of recently too. #Depth
  • Ashy
    21018 posts Club Captain
    Sorry Chilwell starts for Chelsea not Alonso and you think Tsmikas is the same level as Chilwell come on now, Phillips the same as Chalobah, I'll stop reading there I think.
  • VVD4
    edited November 2021
    Sorry Chilwell starts for Chelsea not Alonso and you think Tsmikas is the same level as Chilwell come on now, Phillips the same as Chalobah, I'll stop reading there I think.

Feel free to amend it and let me know what the overall results are. I'm interested.

What you've said would only change it into 1 less point for Liverpool and 1 more point for Chelsea. Still nowhere near enough to claim they have the better overall squad.

I beg to differ regarding Phillips/Chabolah. Chabolah has been good when called upon this season, and Phillips was brilliant when he came in last season. Other than that, neither have done anything notable, so I think it is perfectly fair to have them even. Only bias would have one over the other based on what they've done so far.
  • VVD4
    edited November 2021
    Nem wrote: »

Good to know that the assistant, who I assume will have been working under/with Edwards for years now will take over. Should be a seamless transition if he just continues the good work he did with Edwards.
  • Ashy
    21018 posts Club Captain
    edited November 2021
    Mendy > Alisson
    James < Trent
    Christensen > Konate
    Silva > Matip
    Rudiger < VVD
    Chilwell < Robbo
    Jorginho < Fabinho
    Kovacic = Thiago
    Havertz < Salah
    Lukaku > Firmino
    Werner < Mane

Chelsea 4-2-5. Liverpool just edge in the starting 11.

Kepa > Kelleher
    CHO > Williams/Milner
    Azpi > Gomez
    Chalobah > Phillips
    Alonso < Tsmikas
    Kante > Hendo
    Saul/RLC < Keita
    Mount > Elliot
    Pulisic < Jota
    Ziyech < Origi

Chelsea 6-4

Won't bother putting Sarr/Minamino and others they cancel each out. Mainly 22 Vs 22.

Chelsea 10-2-9 Liverpool

Not that this means anything at all because it depends who Vs who in the line up, Salah is miles better than Havertz while Mendy is slightly better than Alisson for example not black and white
  • El_Nino
    9813 posts League Winner
    edited November 2021
    Mane - Firmino - Salah
    Thiago - Henderson
    Fabinho
    Alisson

Jota - Origi - Minamino
    Keita/AOC - Elliot/Jones
    Milner
    Kelleher/Adrian

I cannot, for the life of me, see how anyone can view that as a weaker overall squad than what Chelsea or United have.

Let's compare to Chelsea, for argument's sake, and we'll use Chelsea's 3atb 11s to make it easier (and this isn't based on just this season alone):

Alisson = Mendy
    Robertson > Alonso
    VVD > Rudiger
    Matip < T.Silva
    Konate < Christensen
    TAA > James
    Fabinho > Jorginho
    Thiago = Kovacic
    Salah > Lukaku
    Mane > Werner
    Firmino > Havertz

Kelleher < Kepa
    Tsimikas = Chilwell
    Gomez = Azpilicueta
    Phillips = Chabolah
    N/A < Sarr
    N.Williams < CHO
    Henderson < Kante
    Keita > RLC
    Elliot < Mount
    Jota > Pulisic
    Origi > Ziyech

Some leftovers:

Milner = Saul
    Jones = Barkley
    AOC > N/A
    Minamino > N/A

That leaves my total as

The issue with things like this, is how you match players up makes all the difference, plus the travesty that is rating the likes of Tsimikas and Gomez equal to Azpi/Chilwell.

Allison = Mendy
    Robertson > Alonso
    Tsimikas < Chilwell
    VVD > Rudiger(not on current form but overall)
    Matip < T.Silva
    Konate < Andreas
    Phillips < Chalobah
    Gomez < Azpi
    TAA > James (James is better IMO but I grant time at the top level gives Trent the edge)
    Williams < CHO
    Fabinho = Kante
    Henderson < Kova
    Thiago < Jorginho
    Keita = RLC(Both great when they've played this season but useless due to injury in the past)
    Elliot < Pulisic
    Salah > Werner
    Mane > Havertz
    Firmino < Lukaku
    Jota < Mount
    Origi > Ziyech(I put Jorginho over Thiago due to what they've done for Chelsea/Liverpool so only fair to give Origi this one).

3 draws, 6 for Liverpool, 11 for Chelsea, and I could easily make a case for Mendy > Allison/ Kante > Fab.

All these lists ever show is how bias we all are.
  • VVD4
    edited November 2021
    Mendy > Alisson
    James < Trent
    Christensen > Konate
    Silva > Matip
    Rudiger < VVD
    Chilwell < Robbo
    Jorginho < Fabinho
    Kovacic = Thiago
    Havertz < Salah
    Lukaku > Firmino
    Werner < Mane

Chelsea 4-2-5. Liverpool just edge in the starting 11.

Kepa > Kelleher
    CHO > Williams/Milner
    Azpi > Gomez
    Chalobah > Phillips
    Alonso < Tsmikas
    Kante > Hendo
    Saul/RLC < Keita
    Mount > Elliot
    Pulisic < Jota
    Ziyech < Origi

Chelsea 6-4

Won't bother putting Sarr/Minamino and others they cancel each out. Mainly 22 Vs 22.

Chelsea 10-2-9 Liverpool

Not that this means anything at all

Mine was fair, this one is pretty biased against Liverpool, lol.

Mendy is a better goalkeeper than Alisson? Really? I think it was very fair of me to have them even.

You’ve also been a bit disingenuous with the forwards. I ordered them from best forward to least best forward, aka

Salah > Lukaku
    Mane > Werner
    Firmino > Havertz

But the way you’ve done it, you’ve put Chelsea’s best forward up against our 3rd best forward.

You’re gonna argue that it’s positional, but that’s a load of rubbish considering we are doing Chelsea’s formation. It’s a cheeky tactic and I’m not having it.

Azpi > Gomez and Chabolah > Phillips is biased as well. I was being very fair putting them equal. I’d give you Azpi at a push.

And you’re leaving out some players just because it would swing it back into Liverpool’s favour, despite the fact they’re still a part of each team’s squads…

But even if we went for your version, it’s 10-9, which isn’t enough to say that their squad is clearly better than ours.

But again, it was a pretty biased, disingenuous way of doing it.
  • VVD4
    Mane - Firmino - Salah
    Thiago - Henderson
    Fabinho
    Alisson

Jota - Origi - Minamino
    Keita/AOC - Elliot/Jones
    Milner
    Kelleher/Adrian

Alisson = Mendy
    Robertson > Alonso
    VVD > Rudiger
    Matip < T.Silva
    Konate < Christensen
    TAA > James
    Fabinho > Jorginho
    Thiago = Kovacic
    Salah > Lukaku
    Mane > Werner
    Firmino > Havertz

Kelleher < Kepa
    Tsimikas = Chilwell
    Gomez = Azpilicueta
    Phillips = Chabolah
    N/A < Sarr
    N.Williams < CHO
    Henderson < Kante
    Keita > RLC
    Elliot < Mount
    Jota > Pulisic
    Origi > Ziyech

Some leftovers:

Milner = Saul
    Jones = Barkley
    AOC > N/A
    Minamino > N/A

That leaves my total as

The issue with things like this, is how you match players up makes all the difference, plus the travesty that is rating the likes of Tsimikas and Gomez equal to Azpi/Chilwell.

Allison = Mendy
    Robertson > Alonso
    Tsimikas < Chilwell
    VVD > Rudiger(not on current form but overall)
    Matip < T.Silva
    Konate < Andreas
    Phillips < Chalobah
    Gomez < Azpi
    TAA > James (James is better IMO but I grant time at the top level gives Trent the edge)
    Williams < CHO
    Fabinho = Kante
    Henderson < Kova
    Thiago < Jorginho
    Keita = RLC(Both great when they've played this season but useless due to injury in the past)
    Elliot < Pulisic
    Salah > Werner
    Mane > Havertz
    Firmino < Lukaku
    Jota < Mount
    Origi > Ziyech(I put Jorginho over Thiago due to what they've done for Chelsea/Liverpool so only fair to give Origi this one).

3 draws, 6 for Liverpool, 11 for Chelsea, and I could easily make a case for Mendy > Allison/ Kante > Fab.

All these lists ever show is how bias we all are.

This one is horrifically biased lmfao.

I had the sense to be pretty fair and I get this crap back?

Lol okay.