American (mag)Pie

Comments

• Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    February 12th 2024

ASM and Elliot Anderson both scored a brace, when Newcastle won 5-1 vs Bradford City in the FA Cup 3rd round. Liverpool followed in the league, and while The Reds were always dangerous on the ball, they were somehow wide open in the other end. So despite an underwhelming amount of possession, Newcastle really hit the spot in this one. This was also the game, where I noticed Newcastle supporters holding up a banner of Gerrard, which is surely a bug, but seemed to be rather spot on in this case.

FCufsn4WYAM_D1P?format=jpg&name=small

Overall the month was full of goals, and only 15 minutes in at Turt Moor, NUFC was 3-0 up after a brace from Ainsley Maitland-Niles. Laborde eventually brought two back for Burnley, but suddenly the scoring started again, and Newcastle bagged a 7-2 win, while AMN completed his first career hattrick. This also happened to be the final game for £22m forward Callum Wilson, who moves to Inter Milan in a £35,000,000 deal. They had actually targeted ASM first, but the stubborn Gerrard insisted on a £50m fee, and Inter Milan pursued the 31 year old England forward in stead. A replacement was needed, but due to Delap’s rise, there would be no world class striker coming in to block the 20 year old from getting his share of games. In stead a number of options were considered to rotate with Delap, among others;

Sam Greenwood, Napoli, 74 OVR, 21y, £8,000,000
    Joe Gelhardt, Atalanta, 74 OVR, 21y, £8,000,000
    Iké Ugbo, KRC Genk, 76 OVR, 25y, £8,000,000
    Adam Idah, Norwich, 74 OVR, 22y, £5,500,000

Idah had previously been proposed to Newcastle in a swap deal, and therefore it was intriguing to pursue that transfer. It was also intriguing to bring Greenwood or Gelhardt home from Italy, or from Belgium in Ugbo’s case. The latter eventually got the nod being the more experienced alternative. So Iké Ugbo was signed for Newcastle and was a bargain too, with KRC Genk agreeing a £7,000,000 fee.

Around Europe we also saw a few interesting transfers happen. Barcelona appear to continue their financial struggles being forced to sell both Pedri and Fati, while Arsenal have surprisingly decided to sell Ángel Correa, who were otherwise leading the race for the Premier League Golden Boot. So with both him and Wilson leaving the league, the race to become top scorer is in deed up for grabs.

rTMX0m1.png

Ugbo watched the next game from the bench, as Leicester shocked Newcastle in the FA Cup 4th round. Matty Longstaff did reduce the score to 2-1, and Delap to 3-2 later on, but the latter also missed the opportunity to equalize in injury time, and Leicester advance with a 3-2 win.

The disappointment in the cup was followed by one in the league, as West Ham hammered the Magpies with 4-1, as a brace from Vlasic made him top scorer with 17, while he was also named Player of the Month in both December and January. Delap equalized to 1-1 along the way, but was subsequently replaced by Ugbo, who came on for a lacklustre debut, even missing a decent shot before West Ham took the lead and went all in from there.

Ugbo still got the nod to start vs Norwich though, and only 7 minutes in he had already served ASM on a counter. But Sargent equalized straight away, before Ugbo scored a brace on each side of half time to make it 3-1. Rashica then brought back the excitement at the hour mark, but Willock decided the game with ten minutes left. And to complete a perfect first start for Newcastle, Iké Ugbo was the one to set him up, scoring two and assisting two in the 4-2 win.

Newcastle are once again out of both cups too soon and only have league football for the rest of the campaign. But with Arsenal's struggles following the departure of Correa, European football next season is almost guaranteed already, and the Magpies should succeed in holding on to their spot in the Champions' League.

nVwmQRz.png
  • 'Mon the toon!
  • ArladArlad
    97 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited October 2021
    Oh man! I saw the shortlist and resisted scrolling down :D I was like *please sign Ugbo, please sign Ugbo* :p honestly it is such a Newcastle signing! shame Gerrard could not get the boys into a latter stages of a cup, maybe next year? :)
    Well in those UCL places and with 25 MP there is still 13 games left, I am positively certain Gerrard's Toon won't let it slip ;)
    Also Hojbjerg from Spurs to Man Utd... Is Jose back in Manchester :D
  • Stlducks
    9476 posts League Winner
    13 points ahead for a Cl position, no cups to deal with. No way you can miss the CL this season!
  • Danimal5981
    3011 posts National Call-Up
    Chelsea only 6 points from relegation: From Champions League success, tumbling all the way down;
    where have we seen that before?
    (Leeds 2001-2004)
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    ArladArlad wrote: »
    Oh man! I saw the shortlist and resisted scrolling down :D I was like *please sign Ugbo, please sign Ugbo* :p honestly it is such a Newcastle signing! shame Gerrard could not get the boys into a latter stages of a cup, maybe next year? :)
    Well in those UCL places and with 25 MP there is still 13 games left, I am positively certain Gerrard's Toon won't let it slip ;)
    Also Hojbjerg from Spurs to Man Utd... Is Jose back in Manchester :D

I appreciate the feedback on Ugbo. Don't really have enough insight on neither Newcastle nor Ugbo to know exactly how realistic it would be, so I'm glad I got it right, more or less.

Don't know about Mourinho. I wrote about Ole being sacked a while back, but haven't played around with any idea of who had replaced him. But since they are topping the league, I really doubt the Chosen One is the man in charge. I could see it work with Højbjerg to United though. A defensive midfielder, who can also pass the ball. He's never injured (played every minute last season + euros), and he's shown an increasing amount of leadership in recent years, for club and country. I believe Declan Rice is the first priority for Man United, but I think Højbjerg could be a good alternative, if not for having to deal with Levy.
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    edited October 2021
    Stlducks wrote: »
    13 points ahead for a Cl position, no cups to deal with. No way you can miss the CL this season!

Really shouldn't f... this up. But it is Gerrard, and he's known to have slipped in the past. Joke aside, this one should stick, and I also think it's time for this team to qualify for Europe.
    Chelsea only 6 points from relegation: From Champions League success, tumbling all the way down;
    where have we seen that before?
    (Leeds 2001-2004)

Ha!, yeah always great to compare with historic events like that demise of a legendary Leeds unit. Chelsea does seem to have overcome their disastrous opening form though, so at this point I highly doubt we'll see them relegated. Could be fun though, perhaps even snatching up a few of their players to save them from the Championship...
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    April 18th 2024

Two wins (3-0 vs Palace and 2-0 vs Wolves) followed, before a 2-0 loss at Spurs provided a 7th league defeat for Newcastle. Matchday 29 saw a perfect response though, as Newcastle won 7-2 vs Brighton, in a game where Ugbo scored a brace, his first goals as a substitute. Until then he’d only scored that brace in his first start, before a number of cameos had been fruitless. And with Delap without a goal since Palace, Ugbo had his second start in match 30 vs Chelsea. Gerrard was not to regret that decision, as the former Chelsea academy product scored a brace and assisted a third, all in the first half. Towards the end he also served substitute Elliot Anderson’s goal to 4-0, once again with two goals and two assists, before the latter had another to end a terrible night for the visitors. I’ve discussed the Chelsea squad a few times already, given their underperforming season so far. And their back three of this fixture might provide an answer or two; Malang Sarr, Jake Clarke-Salter and Ethan Ampadu were the ones to hold the fort. Meanwhile Azpilicueta was placed on a wingback, but I bet they really missed him in one of the central positions.

FC-WaECXoAIKkd6?format=jpg&name=small

At this point Newcastle hadn’t had a draw in 15 games, only racking up two so far this season. But that was about to change. Ainsley Maitland-Niles truly had a masterclass performance against Arsenal, as he scored and assisted Willock, another former Arsenal player, before he forced both Xhaka and Jonathan David to bring him down and be booked for it. Unfortunately the latter injured the versatile midfielder for 4 weeks, while both of the booked players also got on the scoresheet and made it 2-2. The next two games provided another two draws, 1-1 vs Aston Villa and 2-2 vs Man City, where Delap had a redemption with a goal against his old club, his first goal since match 26. Can't say the club has missed them though, as Newcastle have the best attack, while Man City hold the best defence.

Top 4 and European Football is really starting to look like a certainty, and the last five games shouldn’t change that. Newcastle have Leeds (H), B’mouth (A), Watford (A), Man Utd (A) and Everton (H) left, and the Magpies could have a say in the title race, as Man Utd just lost 3-1 at home to Liverpool, who are now leading the title race after their rivals have done it for most of the season. And if The Reds win it, they’ll have equalled Man Utd’s 21 league titles. We’re definitely in for an interesting end to the season.

DiuRU8T.png
  • Danimal5981
    I lost track who plays UCL final, UEL final, FA Cup final or who won League Cup, but by my calculations number 7 West Ham can no longer catch you, so top 6 is usually a guaranteed European spot in England. But Champions League would be best and you're one win shy of that.
  • Ashy
    21178 posts Club Captain
    Man this is fantastic stuff, Gerrard is a miracle worker getting this squad into the top 3, the gap from 4th and 5th suggests you should get UCL football this season, I wonder if Mike will pocket that money? Or will you have a slightly bigger budget available.

Nice to see Delap developing well and the Embarba signing looks fantastic with all those assists.

Also it's nice to see a fast paced story, already coming to the end of the 3rd season. :p
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    I lost track who plays UCL final, UEL final, FA Cup final or who won League Cup, but by my calculations number 7 West Ham can no longer catch you, so top 6 is usually a guaranteed European spot in England. But Champions League would be best and you're one win shy of that.

Yeah, haven't gone too much into detail about those things yet. Bayern and Atlético will play the UCL final, while Chelsea and Benfica play the Europa League. Perhaps a silver lining for the Blues? FA Cup will be a surprise clash with Leicester and soon to be relegated Burnley, while Man City have already won their 7th consecutive League Cup final, beating Aston Villa 4-2 in the final.
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    Ashy wrote: »
    Man this is fantastic stuff, Gerrard is a miracle worker getting this squad into the top 3, the gap from 4th and 5th suggests you should get UCL football this season, I wonder if Mike will pocket that money? Or will you have a slightly bigger budget available.

Thanks! Yeah definitely good news for Mike, haven't yet decided if we are to see a change in the ownership. The other seasons I waited and made the board objectives more or less decide the approach. I think I'll wait and see how that looks. But I'm pretty confident I won't go out splashing the cash, as I always prefer a more subtle approach.
    Ashy wrote: »
    Also it's nice to see a fast paced story, already coming to the end of the 3rd season. :p

Hehe, yeah I keep the matches on 4 or 5 minute halves, and I also simulate a few games along the way, mostly to get a few defeats, if I find the game to be too easy at times. So it doesn't take too much time to play through the seasons then. And for me it's just more entertaining getting a few seasons in and not having to go all in on the first season or two.
  • Danimal5981
    Right, so Liverpool and Man U go into Champions League. Chelsea still might as winner Europa League.
    Newcastle and Man C are likely to join.

The winner of the FA Cup final goes into Europa League, as does the next highest ranked team, Arsenal.

And the berth left by Man City winning the League Cup, means currently Everton will slip into the slot for European Conference League.
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    edited November 2021
    June 5th 2024

A fourth consecutive draw happened next, as Leeds took an early lead from Dan James and later equalized to 2-2 in injury time from Kasper Dolberg. Straight forward 4-0 and 5-1 wins followed, vs Bournemouth and Watford respectively, and with only two games left, Champions’s League football next season was now guaranteed.

Meanwhile both Liverpool and Man United had shown signs of weakness, the latter with a draw at Selhurst Park, while Leeds took a point at Anfield, before the Merseyside Derby also ended without a winner. So Man United lead the table by one point before hosting Newcastle in match 37. The hosts had a few early attempts from Isak and Bruno Fernandes, but both missed their one on ones, before Delap punished them in the other end. The title challengers were the better side though, and Fred, Cavani and van de Beek eventually turned the game around to a deserved 3-1 win for the Red Devils. The three points also reflected their new gap to Liverpool, who had another draw at Arsenal. And with both winning their final game of the season, Man United have now won a record 22 league titles, once again with two more than Liverpool.

Delap’s goal vs Man United was Newcastle’s 105th this season, only one short of Man City’s record from the 2017/18 season. And halfway through the first half in match 38, Newcastle Player Of The Season ASM had broken that record with a brace against Everton, whose 5th place was already safe and sound before the game. Perhaps this inflicted their performance on the day, as Matty Longstaff and Brandon Williams made it 4-0, before 18 year old academy forward Jasper Townsend executed an easy tap-in in the 92nd minute, his first goal for the club in his 7th appearance. So, besides their best league result since 2002/03, Newcastle now also holds the record for most goals in a Premier League season with 110.

Another record was set elsewhere, as Player of the Month in May, Harry Kane, finished the season strongly and became joint top scorer with West Ham’s Nikola Vlasic on 21 goals. Despite only 9 in his poor 21/22 season, he has since scored 19 and now 21, and with a total of 215 league goals he’s now surpassed Rooney on the all time goals list in the Premier League, while his 4th Golden Boot (this one shared though) equals Thierry Henry's record of most Premier League Golden Boots.

MOST PREMIER LEAGUE GOALS:

ZQ7QhTn.png

In other news, Bayern won their 8th European Cup/UCL title with 0-0 (5-4p) vs last seasons’ champions, Atlético, while Chelsea missed their last chance of European football with a 2-1 defeat vs Benfica in the Europa League final. In the FA Cup, Leicester won their second title of the last four years with a win against relegated Burnley in the final, while Man City won a 7th back to back League Cup with 4-2 vs Aston Villa. Apart from Burnley, the Premier League will also depart with Southampton and Bournemouth, both after only a year in the division. In stead we’ll see Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United return to the top tier.

Two veterans were also running out of their contracts at Newcastle. But while the club have extended Sean Davis’ contract for another year, Paul Dummett was already signed by Italian club Empoli on a pre-contract, now leaving NUFC after 245 games. Only two current players have more appearances for the club, Isaac Hayden with 262 and captain Jamaal Lascelles with exactly 300.

96am5t1.png
  • ArladArlad
    I finally caught up, apologies but I have been away from the forums as I was sick :'( there is quite a fair bit to get into, I will say it was nice to see Man Utd pip Liverpool to title number 22 :) Stevie G held his side in the top 4 just finishing 2pts off City in 3rd, and the team looks to be performing brilliantly especially against the lower end table sides.
    Chelsea have had an absolute shocking season, honestly Abramovich must be going nuts!! :D Embarba ended up being a superb signing with 15 assists for the Toon and how about ASM with 14 goals and Delap with 20. Harry Kane closing in on Shearers record now!

As followers of the CM will see Ashley's budget for Gerrard in Season 4 is he plotting to stay the course and establish them as a regular top 4 or will we see regression to Europa? Surely with UEFA Champions League football on the horizon now the fans will be singing for Mike Cashley to to spend to reinforce the squad.

Fantastic stuff mate :)
    ~Arlad
  • Stlducks
    9476 posts League Winner
    Harry Kane winning boots and moving up the scoring charts, you love to see it! :)

Fantastic year for Newcastle, finishing in a CL position. Only a few points away from Man City and Liverpool puts you right there with the top teams in the league. Champions League will be a real test for Gerrard, not only the harder games but also having to use depth more with a busy schedule.
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    I finally caught up, apologies but I have been away from the forums as I was sick :'( there is quite a fair bit to get into, I will say it was nice to see Man Utd pip Liverpool to title number 22 :) Stevie G held his side in the top 4 just finishing 2pts off City in 3rd, and the team looks to be performing brilliantly especially against the lower end table sides.
    Chelsea have had an absolute shocking season, honestly Abramovich must be going nuts!! :D Embarba ended up being a superb signing with 15 assists for the Toon and how about ASM with 14 goals and Delap with 20. Harry Kane closing in on Shearers record now!

As followers of the CM will see Ashley's budget for Gerrard in Season 4 is he plotting to stay the course and establish them as a regular top 4 or will we see regression to Europa? Surely with UEFA Champions League football on the horizon now the fans will be singing for Mike Cashley to to spend to reinforce the squad.

Fantastic stuff mate :)
    ~Arlad

Thanks mate. Don't worry about absence, I also have days where I stay offline and then catch up later on. Hope you're all right after sickness.

Just getting into new season, update will follow when window closes.
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    Harry Kane winning boots and moving up the scoring charts, you love to see it! :)

Fantastic year for Newcastle, finishing in a CL position. Only a few points away from Man City and Liverpool puts you right there with the top teams in the league. Champions League will be a real test for Gerrard, not only the harder games but also having to use depth more with a busy schedule.

Kind of looking forward to use more depth. I've rotated quite a lot, but haven't had any stamina issues yet. I honestly think I could have gone through the season with a 14 man squad.
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    edited November 2021
    September 5th 2024

The new season began, and for the third time in four years, Mike Ashley instructed Gerrard to reduce player wages by £64,000 a week. The objective had medium priority, and so did the expectation of signing one youth player, who would play at least 50% of the games next season. Objectives of high importance was getting a streak of 5 clean sheets and to sign a veteran. And once again the results were not really that important with low priority objectives of finishing in a Europa League spot, reaching the Round of 16 in the FA Cup, and to reach the Group Stage in the UEFA Champions’ League. And the latter was already achieved, before the season had even begun.

So, in the transfer window Gerrard searched for a gifted veteran to boost the side before the European action. And he narrowed down the shortlist to two individuals. One was Man United’s Jesse Lingard (31), who only had a year left and could be acquired for only £10m. But the other was Liverpool’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (30), also with only a year left and a more versatile option than the former. In the end the Ox was the best fit for the current formation, and his £14,5m market value wasn't even met, as he joined Newcastle for only £12,000,000. Meanwhile £3,3m reserve player Rodrigo Vilca finally left the club after various loans, now leaving permanently to Norwich for £4,7m. The £6,5m keeper Loris Karius was then targeted by Royal Antwerp and brought to Belgium in a £9,000,000 deal, while Gerrard found his replacement in Swiss international Yvon Mvogo (30), who had been a free agent for an entire year since his release from RB Leipzig.

At this point the business seemed done with, but on deadline day a final bit of business was made, as Atlético Madrid finally met Gerrard’s £50m asking prize for Allan Saint-Maximin. Many had tried signing him, but no one had so far bid high enough. Diego Simeone eventually agreed to a £55,000,000 fee, making ASM the (by far) most expensive departure in the history of the club. Time was now the essence to try and find a replacement, and 29 year old Nicolas Pépé was the preferred option, only having a year left at Leicester. He wouldn’t reduce his wage demands though, so Gerrard in stead turned to Crystal Palace and signed Eberechi Eze, a three year younger solution. He was also running out of contract, thus moving for a £22,000,000 fee despite a £27,5m value. That still makes him the 4th most expensive signing ever for Newcastle (after Joelinton, Willock and Owen) and the most expensive during Gerrard’s reign.

Across Europe we also saw a number of interesting signings. Most surprising was arguably Everton’s sale of Jude Bellingham to Leeds United. The Toffees might end up regretting that.

P7bqieh.png
    rJWv8mY.png

The Premier League also started with a trip to Everton, and the Ox made a terrific debut with a goal only 8 minutes in. Martinelli’s debut was even better though, as his brace produced a 2-1 lead for the hosts, until Ryan Kent made it even before half time. And 86 minutes had eventually passed, before young Jasper Townsend’s cross found Joe Willock's head in the center to make it a 3-2 win at Goodison Park. Man City were the ones to start strongly next, as Cancelo scored only 5 minutes in. Delap eventually equalized though, and I suppose 1-1 was a good result for both, as the game was played at St. James’ Park. Mvogo had his debut in match three at Selhurst Park, and he was tested a few times, among others with an attempt from future Newcastle signing Eze. But the Swiss held his ground and won a brilliant first clean sheet. In the other end we saw another goal from the Ox, while Delap produced a brace to make it end 3-0 while taking his season tally to 3 goals after only 3 games. However, he’s still one short of Mo Salah, whose 4 goals so far mean that he’s just two goals short of being the 8th most scoring player in Premier League history.

Meanwhile the draw was made for the groups in the Champions’ League. Most agree that Newcastle have got a phenomenal group, playing Real Madrid, CSKA Moscow and Slavia Praha. One giant and two, whom they could beat. Slavia are the reigning champions in the Conference League though, so Newcastle really shouldn’t underestimate anyone.

F3ZO8ss.png
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    September 20th 2024

Mvogo continued his great form vs Aston Villa, who were the better side and could have lead by more than 1-0 from Danny Ings. In stead the score was equalized by Ugbo, and substitute Elliot Anderson even hit the post in the dying minutes to be denied a win, that would also have been very much against the run of play. Eze had his debut in this game, but it was not one to remember, and he found himself benched for the next match.

And that next match was also the long awaited return to the Champions’ League, and where else to do it than the legendary Estadio Santiago Bernabéu. The home team lined up with several former Premier League players, and most surprisingly they kept the most expensive signing of all time, Erling Haaland, on the bench for the entire game. Perhaps Ancelotti felt that Reinier was adequate and simply just spared Haaland for more difficult games?

FDgeMo0WYAcwHlW?format=jpg&name=small

Reinier did prove himself adequate though, as he opened the score after 9 minutes, before Rodrygo made it 2-0 at the hour mark. Jamal Lewis tested the defence towards the end, but the cross was deflected and landed in the hands of Courtois. He instantly tried to throw it to a defender, but in stead he threw it directly to Ugbo, who couldn’t make a shot straight away. In stead he passed to Lewis, who was still positioned to his left, and the left back passed it right back to him, before he scored to a respectable 2-1 defeat.

It almost appeared as if Newcastle played Real Madrid again next, as Casemiro and Kroos both started for Spurs at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. And once again Newcastle were hurt in the beginning, this time from Harry Kane in the 5th minute, scoring his first goal of the season. Joe Willock then equalized at the hour mark, and in the 89th minute of the game, Isaac Hayden suddenly appeared and brought home three points for the Magpies. So Newcastle are currently in 3rd place, but they'll play Arsenal and Chelsea in their next two games.

4q9koEd.png

After two difficult away games, a third was in line for the Carabao Cup 3rd round fixture at Stamford Bridge. The game started pretty even, but Callum Hudson-Odoi made two reckless challenges from behind, and as both were penalized with a yellow card, he was sent off already in the 20th minute. Chelsea suddenly appeared completely disorganized, and it only took Ugbo 2 minutes from the red card to score a goal, and then he made it 2-0 ten minutes later, both assisted by Eze by the way. But it wasn’t over for Chelsea, whose defending were all over the place! Young midfielders Elliot Anderson and Arthur Morley also joined the scoresheet before half time, and Ugbo was able to celebrate his hattrick five minutes into the second half – against the club that couldn't use him. Despite being outnumbered, Chelsea suddenly had a period of 15-20 minutes with the upper hand. And that period somehow started with Ngolo Kanté coming off the bench. It was Lukaku, who provided the assists though, to both Havertz and Pulisic, but Arthur Morley eventually brought it back to a four goal lead with his goal in injury time. With him and Hayden in the Spurs fixture, Newcastle now had three goals in two games from the CDM position. The draw for the next round has already been made, and the Magpies have got an easier task this time, as they’re going to play Burton Albion.
    FDhnraUX0AAKwnc?format=jpg&name=small
  • Stlducks
    9476 posts League Winner
    Really good transfer moves. ASM leaving and Eze coming in is a move I really like. Eze can be a special player IMO. That Real Madrid team is stacked! Makes sense because it is Madrid but they have a lot of big names. Hopefully the next match at Newcastle you will be able to take points off them.

No idea why Chelsea is so bad in your career lol. 6-2 has to be a record defeat for Chelsea at home.
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    Really good transfer moves. ASM leaving and Eze coming in is a move I really like. Eze can be a special player IMO. That Real Madrid team is stacked! Makes sense because it is Madrid but they have a lot of big names. Hopefully the next match at Newcastle you will be able to take points off them.

No idea why Chelsea is so bad in your career lol. 6-2 has to be a record defeat for Chelsea at home.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Glad you like the Eze transfer. I don't know with Chelsea either. Seems they've improved though, with Arsenal being the unrecognizables this season. But it's still early days...
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    November 5th 2024

Where Chelsea was unrecognizably poor last season, it seems that Arsenal are the ones to be so this time around. One win and four defeats in the first five, and it was going to get even worse for the Gunners, who played Newcastle in match six. Despite Ugbo’s hattrick vs Chelsea, Delap was back in the lineup, still preferred by Gerrard in league games. And the gaffer did not regret that decision, as Delap produced four goals vs the Gunners. The Ox assisted two of them and scored one later himself, and Willock also found his way the scoresheet against his former club. Berisha and Ødegaard fought back to a 7-2 defeat, and had Eze’s goal in injury time not been ruled out for offside, the score would have been an exact replica of the Gunners’ defeat to Man United in 2011.

FDiBqsZXIAIpOg4?format=jpg&name=small

With things going smoothly in the league, Newcastle now hosted Slavia Praha in the Champions’ League, ready to take a straight forward three points after the opening defeat in Madrid. But it wasn’t going to be that easy, as Ondrej Lingr produced a brace to give the away team a 2-0 lead before half time. Ianis Hagi was the standout player for Newcastle that night, and he hit the post in the 76th minute of the game. He also scored a goal 11 minutes later, but that was too little, too late, and Newcastle had now lost both games so far. The third game was played in Russia, where an in-form Joe Willock opened the score 4 minutes in vs CSKA Moscow. Ugbo and Matty Longstaff continued, producing a 3-0 lead after only 19 minutes, before Willock cemented the 4-1 win later on with his second goal of the game. Meanwhile Slavia had a surprise win against Real Madrid, so it’s not easy to predict any outcome from this group!

FDna2_aX0AAElxP?format=jpg&name=small

Back in the league, Maitland-Niles and Willock helped the team to 2-2 at Stamford Bridge, before Willock scored both goals in the 2-1 win vs Wolves, and these games might have been a deciding factor for him to be named Player of the Month in October, the 2nd time for him to win the award. Match 9 was then played at Anfield, where Ryan Kent won the duel vs Trent Alexander-Arnold (Kent vs Trent) to give the Magpies the lead 10 minutes in. Lautaro Martínez and league top scorer Mo Salah turned it around though, but Embarba, having assisted Kent’s opener, eventually equalized to the final result 2-2 with a remarkable solo goal from the left, his first of the season. Finally match 10 produced a straight forward 4-1 win vs number 20 in the league, Watford, meaning that Newcastle are the highest scoring unit and one of only two teams still being undefeated, with 6 wins and 4 draws.

In the Carabao Cup another round has also been completed, with Newcastle beating Burton Albion with 5-1. Gerrard used this game to play a few youngsters, also giving debut to 18 year old CDM Albert Ryan, who ended the game at right back, showing his versatility. Eze was the one to catch the eye though, as he lifted the spirit of the youngsters with a remarkable performance from the left, scoring one, assisting two and masterminding a third, despite leaving the assist for Ugbo, who also scored a brace by the way. Hopefully Eze will be able to replicate this performance in the league as well, as he's still finding his feet at St. James' Park. Next game in the Carabao Cup will be Preston North End, another lucky draw for Newcastle United.

gAoh5cm.png
  • ArladArlad
    Woah! Inter Milan splashing out over $200MIL on Rodri + Richarlison! Also Donny finally getting his move away from Old Trafford to Leicester City. I find it odd that in terms of progression there has been some regression by Ashley to just at least stay the course, however it is realistic in that financially he is focusing on saving money in the long run.

A fantastic draw in the UCL and the match against Real Madrid will be a phenomenal night both home and away, I am positive that Gerrard will do his best for the team to get out of the group stages. I see from the early EPL league table that Man Utd, Newcastle and Leicester City are the early pace setters, in my FIFA 21 save Arsenal were actually my closest challengers (when I was Utd) but looks like their golden period has expired here. LOL.

One final note, It's disappointing to see ASM leave but totally understandable and being the stand out winger at the club under your current circumstances totally fits the CM save because Ashley would definitely cash in should a big club come calling for him. I'm excited to see where this save goes for you, particularly as the owner/board doesn't seem too interested in results but more than productivity off the field.
  • ArladArlad
    So I just scrolled down after commenting and realized I had missed 2 other updates LOL (my bad) anyway I hope you don't mind the double post (sorry mods) but I wanted to comment on the additional updates. Newcastle performed admirably in the UCL away defeat to Real Madrid but any potential knock in confidence didn't exist as they smashed their way to emphatic wins over Chelsea and Arsenal.
    The UCL table at the half way point of the group is not looking like I thought it would, I predict some more twists and turns before we finish match day 6 and it seems like Slavia Praha are not just there to make up the numbers!
    I can see a small gap appearing in the league table between 3rd and 4th place, I suspect your matches against Man Utd and Everton could decide if you're in a title race or not. Arsenal climb out of the relegation spots at the expense of Leeds Utd.
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    So I just scrolled down after commenting and realized I had missed 2 other updates LOL (my bad) anyway I hope you don't mind the double post (sorry mods) but I wanted to comment on the additional updates.

Ha, don't worry about it. I'm aware of the fact that my updates come with a pretty high pace, and it's a lot to ask for readers to be fully updated. Hopefully my visuals help to get a quick overview, but still it could be a long read, if one's been absent for more than just a few days. Appreciate the feedback, and yeah, the results in the Champions' League group have taken me by surprise as well...

• Stlducks
    9476 posts League Winner
    The cup draws are really in your favor now. Winning the Carabao cup would be a great trophy for Newcastle. Taking down another big six side with a dominating performance, Newcastle is finally starting to look like Newcastle of old beating all these big clubs. A win over Real Madrid in the CL at home would really put you over the top.
  • Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    edited November 2021
    Newcastle hosted CSKA Moscow next, having already beat them 4-1 in Russia. But the goalscorer from that game, Chidera Ejuke, had an even better night at St. James' Park, as he equalized on two occations to make it 2-2 in the end.

The Magpies then beat Brighton 2-1 in the league, and as Everton got 1-1 vs Man United, Newcastle were now only 4 points off the latter and 1 point after Everton in 2nd. That didn't last long though, as their trip to London Stadium went terribly wrong. Jon Moncayola opened the score for West Ham, and Saïd Benrahma doubled it at the hour mark. Eventually Brais Mendez made it 3-0 into 3 minutes of injury time, inevitably causing Newcastle's first league defeat this season. Obviously the Magpies also felt themselves pretty hard done by, as the home team only had a xG of 4,0, while the visitors had one of 5,4 and really should have made their mark in the game.

Now it was time to host Real Madrid in the 5th game of the group in the Champions' League. And Ugbo, having witnessed (from the bench) a series of huge misses from especially Delap in the West Ham fixture, had the game of his life, when he made a diving header 4 minutes in to convert Embarba's cross. Embarba then took a run with the ball and was brought down from behind by Luke Shaw in the 10th minute, causing a red card for the left back. Still Federico Valverde managed to equalize in the 30th minute, a brilliant top corner finish after some masterclass passing between him and De Bruyne. But it only took Ugbo 11 minutes from then to bring back the lead for Newcastle, when Maguire and Koulibaly left way too much space behind them for the pacey forward to explore. Real Madrid began playing more dirty, with both Nacho Fernández and Shaw's replacement Alphonso Davies being lucky to only receive a booking for their challenges from behind. And then Valverde was actually unlucky to be denied a 2nd equalizer by Mvogo, who's been nothing short of brilliant since joining. The 66th minute eventually produced the decisive moment, as Eze sent Maguire for hotdogs in the left side, before he served it for Ugbo in the center. And the forward did not shy away from the opportunity to produce a hattrick against the mighty Real Madrid. So with 7 points, the same as Slavia Praha in 2nd, a win in Prague is needed to take Newcastle to the next round.

NEWCASTLE UNITED - REAL MADRID HIGHLIGHTS:

FDsweeJWEAQO1Jc?format=jpg&name=small

• Steffolovitch
    1429 posts Professional
    edited November 2021
    December 12th 2024

After the win vs Real Madrid, it was time to get back to the Premier League, where Norwich came to visit and equalized to 1-1 from Adam Idah at the hour mark. Eze had scored the opener, his first league goal, and he’s really starting to settle at the club. The Magpies had a hard time breaking Norwich down though, but in the 88th minute it finally happened, as Eze broke through and assisted Delap’s 10th league goal to make it 2-1.

Eze also opened the score in the next match vs Fulham, and young Arthur Morley doubled the lead, before Josh Onomah brought one back for the hosts at Craven Cottage. But 10 minutes later Onomah was sent off with a straight red, and Morley eventually doubled his tally to make it 3-1. Sheffield United followed in a pretty straight forward schedule, but no games are easy in the prem, and Ollie McBurnie took the lead, before Delap equalized at the hour mark. The Magpies fought hard to take the win from there, but the quality didn’t really show, and in stead a winner was scored in the other end from Mijat Gacinovic, providing a 2nd league defeat this season for Newcastle, their first at home. Delap's continuing goal contribution also have him 2nd in the hunt for the EPL Golden Boot, but Mo Salah seems unstoppable, currently with 17 goals to his name. Liverpool don’t profit enough from it though, as they’ve only scored 27 goals so far, meaning that others really need to up their game!

The Magpies hadn’t really convinced in any of these games, so they had their backs against the wall, when they went to Prague to play Slavia, where only three points would help them through to the knockouts of the Champions’ League. Ugbo continued his great form in the tournament, scoring his 7th goal, more than any other, but Sevcik equalized with 25 minutes left, potentially sealing the draw and 2nd place for the hosts. However, Ryan Kent, having had an underperforming season so far, suddenly found himself with space to run, and he outran the defenders and scored from the one on one with the keeper in the 83rd minute. Quite naïve to give such a chance away, when you have the result you need, but it was enough for NUFC to secure a 2-1 away win and an entry to the Champions' League knockouts.

And from the looks of it, that is actually quite an accomplishment this year! Neither Atlético, Man City, Juventus nor PSG managed to qualify, all ending in 3rd places along with Ajax, Benfica, PSV and of course Slavia. There are still great teams left in the Champions’ League though, and Newcastle will play the group winners of group F, AC Milan, who won the group ahead of Barcelona, Ajax and Shakhtar Donetsk. AC Milan are currently also number 9 on the UEFA Club Coefficient list, just ahead of Barcelona, Chelsea, Juventus and PSG, while Newcastle find themselves as number 86.

PKfiS0n.png
  • Stlducks
    9476 posts League Winner
    "Sent Maguire for hotdogs." :D:D:D Fantastic!

Dramatic win to advance and now it is a match of two historic clubs with Newcastle and AC Milan. If you can manage at least a draw in Milan, I think you have a good chance to advance. I could be wrong but it seems like you have been getting better results at home than away this season.