-- The big latency/ping/input problem Thread --

Comments

• Jfo88
    22686 posts Club Captain
    Bump
  • Finxjar
    39 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Can we have some feedback from moderators? Does EA knows about and recognizes this issue?
  • Aias87
    625 posts Sunday League Hero
    Jfo88 wrote: »
    I'd also like to know how matchmaking works because I never play anyone near me. I'm in houston and I'm playing people in Portugal surely there is someone in the us I can get matched with

Matchmaking isn't the issue I think. I've played people from the same city and had lag.
  • Aias87
    Jfo88 wrote: »
    Extremely bad today balls just bouncing off my players completely unplayable here is the trace
    5xtx0j.jpg

I'm no expert, but some of these hubs had horrible (1100ms) lag. Maybe someone else can explain what we see here?
  • Aias87
    killaree wrote: »
    @Aias87 its strange that you go though long periods of laggy gameplay followed by long periods of good. Could it be your ISP throttling your connection for whatever reason?

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I wouldn't know if ISP's ever do such a thing, and why they would.

In any case, I'm the home team 90% of the time, so that might hint towards a lagg compensation issue maybe.
  • Aias87
    Finxjar wrote: »
    Can we have some feedback from moderators? Does EA knows about and recognizes this issue?

Maybe @Rob or @Dasco?
  • Keano16
    680 posts Sunday League Hero
    Antiversum wrote: »
    pittphan wrote: »
    I experience button lag even when playing offline....

This is completely common when playing on a TV. You'll see immediately a difference when you use a PC-Monitor. Try to figure out if your TV has "Gaming-Mode" which might lower your inputlag. If not, your only help is buying a new TV.

Its
    Aias87 wrote: »
    killaree wrote: »
    @Aias87 its strange that you go though long periods of laggy gameplay followed by long periods of good. Could it be your ISP throttling your connection for whatever reason?

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I wouldn't know if ISP's ever do such a thing, and why they would.

In any case, I'm the home team 90% of the time, so that might hint towards a lagg compensation issue maybe.

guys there is nothing you can do, I have the best connection possible in the world and I still get lag. It is the online system EA has set up. P2P.

You will always get lag so long as EA implement this P2P system. There is alot of compensation lag going on.

Dedicated servers are a must and it is a scandal EA have not implemented them.
  • NornIron
    11849 posts Has That Special Something
    Dont expect any changes anytime soon. :/
  • RazeReQ17
    58 posts Park Captain
    edited August 2015
    Just copying my post from other thread some weeks ago:

"I have the same problem in FIFA 15, the funny thing is that 14 was fine and i can still play it without single lag.
    I contacted EA at least 3 times and they just said that the problem is on my internet provider's side (of course immediately freezing/ending the case in support).
    Tried almost everything with my ISP and nothing worked so far..

318c69fd90.png
    switched to PES because of this"

592da987e048009a29cfee5b73d29b2b.png
    Lag is still there (since f*cking October), at this point i don't really believe that solution for this problem exists
    (Poland here)
  • RazeReQ17
    58 posts Park Captain
    edited August 2015
    double post, remove please.
  • Finxjar
    39 posts Last Pick at the Park
    As i can see we are pinging EA servers in US from Europe, isn't it normal to have 100+ ping to US from Europe and what EA servers had to do with P2P connection between players?

Everyone here is having good ping until it reaches Prolexic servers who are protection against DDoS attacks iirc. Maybe there lies the problem but than again i am not sure how EA servers and 2 players playing the game through P2P connection effect each other.
  • Masakari
    876 posts Semi-Pro
    edited August 2015
    Best post of the forever @Aias87

Have had the same problems you have, and explored causes and solutions. I have an internet connection similar to yours (around 75 download and 10 upload) so I should be good, yet I get all the symptons you described, like -20 pace players catching up to my attacker, super slow passes, unresponsive and slow players, etc.

The funny thing is, if I unplug the net cable from my X1 and go Wireless, I get less lag even though the connection is obviously less capable.

Also, strangely the lag has been increasing ever since price ranges were implemented, but I also attribute that to less players playing as the game gets "older", thus the matchmaking pool is smaller and the likelihood of matching up with someone further way increases.

This didn't happen anywhere near as often in 14, and since I play a possession game this year has been so-so for me. It's hard / near impossible to play possession when I'm lagging against all the high press and pace exploiters the game has.

For reference, I'm in Lisbon, Portugal using Vodafone Fiber ISP, I have my X1 about 50cms from my router, plugged in with a CAT6 cable, around 75/10 speeds, open NAT, tried going wireless (does improve it a little bit), port forwarding, new TV, etc. And I have no problems with any other games except FIFA.
  • Oside Reds
    496 posts Sunday League Hero
    Masakari wrote: »
    And I have no problems with any other games except FIFA.

good post -- that pretty much sums it up. I only play FIFA, but my son plays other games:

Madden - occasional lag, but nothing like FIFA.
    NBA2K - never any lag issues
    COD - no lag issues

• Masakari
    876 posts Semi-Pro
    edited August 2015
    Oside Reds wrote: »
    And I have no problems with any other games except FIFA.

good post -- that pretty much sums it up. I only play FIFA, but my son plays other games:

Madden - occasional lag, but nothing like FIFA.
    NBA2K - never any lag issues
    COD - no lag issues
    I play or have played tons of other games online, both on X1 and PC - Battlefield 4, Titanfall, Halo MCC, Halo 5 Beta, Destiny, CoD AW, Watch Dogs, Forza Horizon 2, Heroes of the Storm, PES 2015, NHL 15, Hearthstone, Diablo 3, hell even in FIFA 14 I didn't have these many problems.

I don't know what changed, but FIFA 15 has problems.
  • Scottish21
    2236 posts Fans' Favourite
    It's the people trying to play fifa on a wireless connection. Shoot them all.
  • custom tactics are glitched and can cause some of the issues

they need to be removed from online play
  • Aias87
    Finxjar wrote: »
    As i can see we are pinging EA servers in US from Europe, isn't it normal to have 100+ ping to US from Europe and what EA servers had to do with P2P connection between players?

Everyone here is having good ping until it reaches Prolexic servers who are protection against DDoS attacks iirc. Maybe there lies the problem but than again i am not sure how EA servers and 2 players playing the game through P2P connection effect each other.

Seems to me you always need some sort of connection to EA servers. You'd always have to find a game through their matchmaking process. Would UK players also connect with US?
  • Aias87
    custom tactics are glitched and can cause some of the issues

they need to be removed from online play

I oppose that statement. And I don't think custom tactics cause this issue.
  • Aias87
    For reference, I'm in Lisbon, Portugal using Vodafone Fiber ISP, I have my X1 about 50cms from my router, plugged in with a CAT6 cable, around 75/10 speeds, open NAT, tried going wireless (does improve it a little bit), port forwarding, new TV, etc. And I have no problems with any other games except FIFA.

A pattern in complaining people is starting to emerge. It's mostly Europeans that aren't from the UK :(. Maybe it's got to do something with our routing?
  • BrettO
    261 posts Sunday League Hero
    for me there has been a change since the last patch,something happened to degrade my connection quality.Its extremely RARE to get a good quality game for me,no matter what time of day.
    This wasnt the case at release or 14.
    Im quite dejected as online is all i play,and i cant see how things will improve in 16,if they cant fix it now.
  • Fifa92i
    169 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Hello,
    The latency is horrible sometimes, I don't know if it's due to my connection:
    4581890424.png
    I live in Paris, I never play against Americans or Asians because the latency becomes even worse.
    (Sorry for my English)
  • Aias87
    Fifa92i wrote: »
    Hello,
    4581890424.png
    I live in Paris, I never play against Americans or Asians because the latency becomes even worse.
    (Sorry for my English)
    Your english is fine ;). I'm no expert, but your Upload speed might be too low.
  • mowngorilla
    290 posts Sunday League Hero
    Keano16 wrote: »
    nothing you can do, its down to EA to fix this lag problem. At the very least give a working ping bar.
    Agree,and let the country of user pop up on the screen under the GamerTag.
  • mowngorilla
    290 posts Sunday League Hero
    F3RNY7 wrote: »
    I've suffered with this for as long as i can remember (UK, Xbox One and 360)have tried all modem and router configurations, port forwarding, DMZ, UPNP, controller changes, new gamertag, TV changes....

But the bottom line is fifa is the only area I experience this. No issues with far more bandwidth demanding games and applications.

My guess is either it's coded into the game (but then again you get plenty of people saying they don't have such issues) or its an issue with specific EA servers.

I get it in 9 out of 10 games and for that reason I've barely touched FUT in months and I used to be a complete addict.

FIFA must be the most unstable game in history with the constant server issues, web app issues, random DNFs, shed loads of downtime throughout the year....so I'm 100% convinced whatever issue there is is at EAs end. My hardware setup literally could not be more conducive to a blissful online experience, which I get in all other areas, but never have (or will, it seems) in FIFA.

For the first time in years I will not be buying a new FIFA this year. I'll wait until I can borrow a copy for a week and see whether anything has changed before I give EA more of my hard earned money. They can make all the improvements they like to visuals, licences, stadiums, new game modes but none of that matters when you can't play the game properly due to factors outside of your control.

Agree,I would rather play with a team of random non shiny golds non lag,than a team full of TOTS players Lagfest.

• Antiversum
    5786 posts Big Money Move
    Fifa92i wrote: »
    Hello,
    4581890424.png
    (Sorry for my English)
    Your english is fine ;). I'm no expert, but your Upload speed might be too low.

It is an urban myth that you need tons of Mb/s as upload for any online game.
  • Jfo88
    22686 posts Club Captain
    Keano16 wrote: »
    nothing you can do, its down to EA to fix this lag problem. At the very least give a working ping bar.
    Agree,and let the country of user pop up on the screen under the GamerTag.

Would be great
  • Aias87
    Lag was gone couple of games yesterday, I won my games with 6-1, 7-2 and 4-0 haha. Then I played with some of my online settings and it miraculousy returned.
  • D0N L0GAN
    80 posts Park Captain
    Great thread and good to see it's fairly rant free. Just to add to what's already been said, I'm with BT fibre (UK) and Fifa on the xBox is generally good online. What I have noticed is that sometimes in the late evening I'll constantly get matched up with other players in the US and all of the problems you describe start ruining the match. Can switch everything of and on again and still get matched against players in the US. No idea why. I also remember from a few years back hearing that although the matches are P2P there's always a background connection to EA. Don't know wether that is true or if it still applies.
  • Masakari
    876 posts Semi-Pro

A pattern in complaining people is starting to emerge. It's mostly Europeans that aren't from the UK :(. Maybe it's got to do something with our routing?
    Dunno. It would be strange, since in FIFA14 I didnt have this problem nearly as much, and even in the first months of 15 it wasn't this bad.

Seems EA changed something on their end. And yes, I believe that even with the game being P2P there is a connection to the EA Servers, that's how the results are logged. If that connection is severed, you instantly get a D/C and the game ends, even if you're in the 36rd minute.

I also don't understand why I get less lag when I switch from wired to wireless, makes zero sense to me yet that's what happens.

Finally, I notice I can get matched up with people in the UK, Spain, France, Germany, but also Morocco, and even games against my friends who live in my city sometimes are laggy.

Really, there's something at play here that is very strange.