Why the game feels kinda 'dead' and dry this year

ApeTomato
71 posts Has Potential To Be Special
edited October 2021
The game is not actually dead but the general excitement is just much lower then previous years. I think the gameplay is fantastic(much better pre patch though) but the gameplay content is much worse then previous years.

You're done with rivals pretty fast, its a matter of how much you play but when you reach elite, you're done.

The entire rivals system is just stupid. Win 7 weekly wins and enjoy your ❤️❤️❤️❤️ rewards, there's still that initial grind towards elite division if can be bother but everyone will reach it eventually. So you get 7 wins and you're done with rivals. Now what?

There's WL, which EA probably designed while being high.

First, a large part of the community cant enter because they're not good enough so if you cant enter, what's there to play past rivals? Absolutely nothing. This design choice was done because the rewards are too good. Well then revert it back. Everyone can enter and has a shot at those rewards and your skill level determines what you get.

If you manage to enter WL, then congrats. You dont actually have to play. Win maybe 4 games, leave the rest, get some gifted wins along the way and enjoy your top tier rewards. Zero excitement, zero thrill, its just ❤️❤️❤️❤️ boring. Its the free handout league.

I 100% believe that the rivals and WL system is too blame for this 'boring' feeling. There's just actually barely anything to play for. The grind for elite and beyond kept me playing all year. I'll quit before December at this rate.

And oh yeah EA, bring back knockout tournaments. You win the tournament, sometimes you'll get a draft token, a 50k pack or a special promo themed card but nope, they instead want us to actually not play the game.

Comments

• AlexBear012
    3383 posts National Call-Up
    the fact that people only play until 7 wins and then not touch it until next week is really weird to me

playing just for rewards basically, people don't play for fun anymore?
  • abhreebhu_45
    12585 posts Has That Special Something
    Finding a match is tough this early for me,,remember how instant it was in previous edition,,a lot of casuals hv been turned off imo
  • WLB_SENA
    448 posts Sunday League Hero
    That is because of the WL and Rivals format I guess, I reached elite division and just play a couple of games to have fun now
  • paul24878306
    5549 posts Big Money Move
    I think your assumption everyone will reach elite is a bit elitist.

I won't ever get there last year I was 5 max, I've never been higher than 3, and at 54 I'm only getting slower. Duv 3 is probably my limit even with this system.

Personally I don't care about content either I just want to play a football game.... I'd do that with no rewards at all.
  • ApeTomato
    the fact that people only play until 7 wins and then not touch it until next week is really weird to me

Everyone's defintion of fun is different. I like playing the game because the drive for better rewards is fun fo me. If i play a game(if isnt friendlies') and there's nothing at stake, i just dont actually care about winning or losing
  • Thamightyboro
    8100 posts League Winner
    Even worse if you blew 5 of your playoff entries before you had a feel for the game after 2 years off.

Haven't even got playoffs and wl to entertain me now just the 7 wins and twiddle thumbs in squad battles which I detest or go play something else.
  • ApeTomato
    edited October 2021
    I think your assumption everyone will reach elite is a bit elitist.

I won't ever get there last year I was 5 max, I've never been higher than 3, and at 54 I'm only getting slower. Duv 3 is probably my limit even with this system.

Personally I don't care about content either I just want to play a football game.... I'd do that with no rewards at all.

My friend's rank in fifa 21 was gold 3 and he'll be in elite this week because a plays a ton. The lack of regelation means you just have to punch through the games. You rarely get punished for losing
  • All4fun1991
    2989 posts National Call-Up
    I agree with some of your points but regarding content is better like this..last year people lost interest from early on because of nonstop content..I’ve even seen some posts here begging EA to reduce the content..I like the way it is this year, allows you to have a life outside of FIFA…Now you don’t have to login everyday 6pm like we did throughout last year..hope they keep it like this.
  • AlexBear012
    3383 posts National Call-Up
    ApeTomato wrote: »

Everyone's defintion of fun is different. I like playing the game because the drive for better rewards is fun fo me. If i play a game(if isnt friendlies') and there's nothing at stake, i just dont actually care about winning or losing

i should have specified better, i meant some just play for rewards and it's clear they're not having fun with it

game has a lot of issues for real but damn
  • paul24878306
    5549 posts Big Money Move
    That's a problem there. You shouldn't need rewards to care.....

• m0z
    24 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Problem with this game is that alot of people go all out in the beginning and have that fear of missing out attitude. Then after a month or so they burn out because the game is too competitive.

I've never played volta in my life and I decided to jump in the arcade modes with a few friends and had a blast. It's because its fun and not competitive.

Fut needs to find this balance or it will always lose a large amount of the player base after a month or so.
  • john_d_efc
    2873 posts National Call-Up
    JRD wrote: »
    They complained last year about relegation, ea remove relegation and they then complain that everyone started in the same division so it’s too hard

No mate, a lot of people complained because the lesser skilled players were getting whipped by people who should be in the higher divisions.

If them higher skilled players had stuck to the division of their skill we wouldn't be in this mess
  • JRD
    162 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    john_d_efc wrote: »
    They complained last year about relegation, ea remove relegation and they then complain that everyone started in the same division so it’s too hard

No mate, a lot of people complained because the lesser skilled players were getting whipped by people who should be in the higher divisions.

If them higher skilled players had stuck to the division of their skill we wouldn't be in this mess

But if you thought relegation was the root of all evil and you think it’s still a mess now when relegation doesn’t exist…
  • john_d_efc
    2873 posts National Call-Up

But if you thought relegation was the root of all evil and you think it’s still a mess now when relegation doesn’t exist…

Not the root of it, it's just what's caused EA to change that's all. The problem is people, always people :joy:
  • JRD

Not the root of it, it's just what's caused EA to change that's all. The problem is people, always people :joy:

But they’ve made lower division rivals as casual friendly as its ever been. No relegation which was suggested to be the problem and 7 wins a week against your own level for max rewards. Yet casuals are still complaining

• Thefranchise92
    6632 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2021
    ApeTomato wrote: »
    The game is not actually dead but the general excitement is just much lower then previous years. I think the gameplay is fantastic(much better pre patch though) but the gameplay content is much worse then previous years.

You're done with rivals pretty fast, its a matter of how much you play but when you reach elite, you're done.

The entire rivals system is just stupid. Win 7 weekly wins and enjoy your 🎃🎃🎃🎃 rewards, there's still that initial grind towards elite division if can be bother but everyone will reach it eventually. So you get 7 wins and you're done with rivals. Now what?

There's WL, which EA probably designed while being high.

First, a large part of the community cant enter because they're not good enough so if you cant enter, what's there to play past rivals? Absolutely nothing. This design choice was done because the rewards are too good. Well then revert it back. Everyone can enter and has a shot at those rewards and your skill level determines what you get.

If you manage to enter WL, then congrats. You dont actually have to play. Win maybe 4 games, leave the rest, get some gifted wins along the way and enjoy your top tier rewards. Zero excitement, zero thrill, its just 🎃🎃🎃🎃 boring. Its the free handout league.

I 100% believe that the rivals and WL system is too blame for this 'boring' feeling. There's just actually barely anything to play for. The grind for elite and beyond kept me playing all year. I'll quit before December at this rate.

And oh yeah EA, bring back knockout tournaments. You win the tournament, sometimes you'll get a draft token, a 50k pack or a special promo themed card but nope, they instead want us to actually not play the game.

I agree but I’m not gonna put the blame on ea for this. I blame atleast in part the community.

Always crying with no thought to a suggestion.

It’s why first patch almost always destroys the game because people don’t think. Want finesse removed but don’t understand it’s a counter to drop back.

Everyone was crying about self relegation last year, I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as people said and also playing better players than you would normally should give you the chance to improve here and there.

Same with champs too many games and stress ( true imo) so now we have less games and stress. The mode is competitive but the whole mode just feels like a massive friendlies objectives
  • Gustavio72
    89 posts Park Captain
    EAs cure for the relegation problem is worse than the disease. It is simply not properly designed.
    Once you have a series of wins by accident you move up in divisions. Then the loosing series starts again and again, and there is no chance to get back to a level that allows to have fun. That is the destroying element. I want to match with people at an equal level, so that loosing and winning stays in some balance . Without that i have no intention to play more then i should/could to take the rewards.
    Today there is still a way for better players to avoid moving up in divisions, so that easy wins are for them a reality: simply by avoiding the second or third win if that brings you up in divisions. Now it is no longer a relegation problem but a “not playing at their skill level problem”.
    I have not asked before for solving relegation problems but i do ask now to adapt the rivals system properly so that matchmaking is done properly. That does not at all imply introducing more content etc.
  • Hammer316
    3971 posts National Call-Up
    It's a shame they dropped the ball so hard this year. The intentions were good, sort out relegating and freshen up weekend league to make it more inclusive. Great intentions, poor execution. You would think with the gameplay content falling a bit flat they would ramp up menu content but that's been really poor as well. I honestly think the pandemic and lack of competition (not just football. Game releases have been lacklustre for 2 years) has made them so complacent they probably think everything is fine this year. Hopefully when games come out over the next few months they get a big wake up call. I know I'm just killing time with FIFA until battlefield launches and that's just one of many big games on the way.
  • DREAM
    3709 posts National Call-Up
    Got my 7 rivals wins last thursday. Finished Weekend League on Friday. Qualified for the upcoming WL on Saturday. Probably won't turn on my console again until Thursday,
  • Singaporefifafan
    255 posts Sunday League Hero
    Don't know why they limit the playoffs
  • Andyh60
    2441 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2021
    Yes get your points about rivals and champs but for me I like it a lot more and a lot less stress aswell. Also sometging to really go for in rivals when before it wasnt. Ok quals can be a bit stressful but having done 2 of the 3 weeks so far its not getting a worst feeling. Anyway yes totally feel the same way in terms of "boredom" but all down to off the pitch and no real top objectives. Has been such a fundamental part of fut since 18 and somehow its totally lost this side of it hence the enjoyment, passion, incentive to play and BUILD an ULTIMATE TEAM just gone.
  • Thefranchise92
    6632 posts Big Money Move
    We had similar issues last year I do lik that I’m more engaged with objectives this year but the rewards are trash in general.

There simply does not seem to be a way to appease all fans and also stop self relegation.

Next season there will be roving galore.

• Singaporefifafan
    255 posts Sunday League Hero
    7 wins isn't a lot the rewards aren't worth grinding for so what's the point only icons and about 10 gold players are worth pulling in packs the rest can be bought for 100-200k
  • ValtorSadek
    313 posts Sunday League Hero
    The fact that so many are just playing the minimum amount of games necessary is a clear indicator that their overall experience so far this fifa is just plain bad.
  • Hades
    775 posts Semi-Pro
    Went up to div 3 quite fast, now im just playing in a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ with ultra squads with nonstop pressure. Im staying back in div 5 next season, and rightly so...
  • I SiR MartY I
    13496 posts Has That Special Something

The game isn't fun,

1v1 games are the least fun you can have playing this way, EA, the pros that need to exploit every part of the game and youtubers that show off said exploits have made it this way

Going 0-20 in WL from quitting is far more enjoyable for me than playing even 1 full game of WL
  • IraqBruin
    2242 posts Fans' Favourite
    We had similar issues last year I do lik that I’m more engaged with objectives this year but the rewards are trash in general.

There simply does not seem to be a way to appease all fans and also stop self relegation.

Well, beating around the bush is what EA did when it comes to relegation, they did not like to "call it out" for what it is, they changed the system by punishing us all, they can calculate and monitor for obvious patterns if they really wanted to admit there is a problem, the solution is not just the design, keeping that part of the player base is not part of any solution.
  • JRD
    IraqBruin wrote: »

Well, beating around the bush is what EA did when it comes to relegation, they did not like to "call it out" for what it is, they changed the system by punishing us all, they can calculate and monitor for obvious patterns if they really wanted to admit there is a problem, the solution is not just the design, keeping that part of the player base is not part of any solution.

But if relegation is no longer a thing and there’s still a problem then how was it the cause of everything?

Relegation was undoubtedly an issue last year but it was also massively over exaggerated by people to justify in their minds how bad their results were

You see it in every thread this year even without relegation. Every game people lose is because of the system, matchmaking, god squads, glitches, connection, pure luck, rovers, drop back, constant pressure, through balls and anything else you can name.

Yet when I lose much more often than not it’s because my opponent was better at the game than I am. There’s the odd unlucky game or bad connection but if I have a bad run it’s nearly always something I’m doing badly. If people understood their level more there would be a lot less moaning

• MoeilijkeMan
    2213 posts Fans' Favourite
    The problem is vocal casuals complain about everything imaginable and still complain even when things are changed to what they asked for. They want to play their 10 games a week and make sure no one can grind anything to gain any kind of advantage while they get practically everything with no effort involved

They complain that 30 games of weekend league was too much so ea introduce the playoff system where they can get champs rewards without playing at all at the weekend and they complain they can’t qualify for the best rewards

They complain about pack weights, ea introduce guaranteed packs so they complain what they pull isn’t worth anything. Same story with wanting affordable players but their pulls not being worth anything

They want fair matchmaking in rivals so they win as many as they lose, ea cater to it and then they want the same matchmaking to carry over into other modes

The same group of people are never happy whatever the system and barely play the game anyway. Meanwhile people who want to grind the game and improve are held back so the casuals don’t get left behind
    IraqBruin wrote: »

But if relegation is no longer a thing and there’s still a problem then how was it the cause of everything?

Relegation was undoubtedly an issue last year but it was also massively over exaggerated by people to justify in their minds how bad their results were

You see it in every thread this year even without relegation. Every game people lose is because of the system, matchmaking, god squads, glitches, connection, pure luck, rovers, drop back, constant pressure, through balls and anything else you can name.

Yet when I lose much more often than not it’s because my opponent was better at the game than I am. There’s the odd unlucky game or bad connection but if I have a bad run it’s nearly always something I’m doing badly. If people understood their level more there would be a lot less moaning

Two of the most spot on and honest posts I’ve read here in a while. Exactly my thoughts but worded better.