Preview Packs

Comments

• Mintcake
    355 posts Sunday League Hero
    OK not a great icon but still not bad for a 25k pack...

Screenshot-20210715-180514-Companion.jpg
  • SignpostSounder
    4238 posts National Call-Up
    Destin8or wrote: »

Dual packs is how they will run Fifa 22

They might. But I would have said that this is still just a test for now. Given how much money is on the line, they aren't going to make a boatload of changes without doing a heck of a lot of testing.
    I’d bet they have seen how much preview packs are affecting points sales so they are willing to flirt the incoming regulation for 1 more year.

I think it's more likely that the difference in sales is so small that they're putting both up to see if they can determine people's preference.

Folks still bought FIFA Points when the previews were in place. "You are definitely only getting an 82 in this pack" didn't put the addicts off in any way, and the odd time it was "You are definitely getting this Summer Stars player in this pack" caused non-addicted people who wouldn't usually spend to get their wallet out, or to engage in the game for longer until they had enough coins to get the pack.

The addicts just saw the extra button presses as being a minor inconvenience. If anything, the extra "free" pack that the big spenders got to look at once they'd spent all their points just served as another way of getting them to pony up more money. I'd say that preview packs have probably pushed the whales and the helplessly addicted to spend MORE money than they usually would. They're getting that pack-opening rush for absolutely nothing, every single day, and that one rush can be all it takes.

Sure, plenty of folks will roll up here and say "Well, I usually spend £20 a week on Points and I didn't buy any this month" but they're not realising that absolutely none of this is aimed at them. EA wants to pull more whales into the bay. Being able to say "no, but it isn't random though, people know what they're buying...governments, leave us alone!" is just an added bonus.
  • phep
    2015 posts Fans' Favourite

This is the grease ball attempt at getting around the gambling aspect.... Just still have it but say oooooh but they could have opened the non gamble pack.
    I’d bet they have seen how much preview packs are affecting points sales so they are willing to flirt the incoming regulation for 1 more year.

I couldn't get my head around how Preview packs would work long term for EA

Low pack weight, nobody buys
    High pack weight, everyone buys but then have too many coins/cards, so prices would probably sky rocket.

Had a thought a few days ago they may run normal packs side by side, and here they are.

It’ll be pros and cons. People less likely to splurge on pack after pack, yes, but at the same time, there will be people preview a 100k pack, see SS Neymar, only have 50k coins and decide to spend 15 quid on points to get the pack.
  • phep
    2015 posts Fans' Favourite
    SuperKMx wrote: »

They might. But I would have said that this is still just a test for now. Given how much money is on the line, they aren't going to make a boatload of changes without doing a heck of a lot of testing.

I think it's more likely that the difference in sales is so small that they're putting both up to see if they can determine people's preference.

Folks still bought FIFA Points when the previews were in place. "You are definitely only getting an 82 in this pack" didn't put the addicts off in any way, and the odd time it was "You are definitely getting this Summer Stars player in this pack" caused non-addicted people who wouldn't usually spend to get their wallet out, or to engage in the game for longer until they had enough coins to get the pack.

The addicts just saw the extra button presses as being a minor inconvenience. If anything, the extra "free" pack that the big spenders got to look at once they'd spent all their points just served as another way of getting them to pony up more money. I'd say that preview packs have probably pushed the whales and the helplessly addicted to spend MORE money than they usually would. They're getting that pack-opening rush for absolutely nothing, every single day, and that one rush can be all it takes.

Sure, plenty of folks will roll up here and say "Well, I usually spend £20 a week on Points and I didn't buy any this month" but they're not realising that absolutely none of this is aimed at them. EA wants to pull more whales into the bay. Being able to say "no, but it isn't random though, people know what they're buying...governments, leave us alone!" is just an added bonus.

And this is also a good point, and tbf I don’t see a major issue with it. I’ve bought points in the past and gotten zilch for my money. I actually wouldn’t mind in the future if I could preview a pack and then decide to buy some points if I felt it was actually worth it, rather than gambling.
  • oldboiler
    5470 posts Big Money Move
    It really is quite simple, more people buying one pack as opposed to less people buying multiple packs, we’re talking hundreds of thousands of potential new customers here so it’s an easy and very simple trade off
  • munchie63
    3995 posts National Call-Up
    83 Rafa as the best card (and only 83+) in my 100k preview pack today.....just can't make my mind up
  • Kouli06
    4556 posts National Call-Up
    Mintcake wrote: »
    OK not a great icon but still not bad for a 25k pack...

Screenshot-20210715-180514-Companion.jpg

Safe to assume that pack got brought?
  • Lord_Begley
    826 posts Semi-Pro
    oldboiler wrote: »
    It really is quite simple, more people buying one pack as opposed to less people buying multiple packs, we’re talking hundreds of thousands of potential new customers here so it’s an easy and very simple trade off

This will not make them more money. They will 100% be losing money as a result of this change.

The only reason they’ve done this is to avoid regulation.
  • jplumber
    2112 posts Fans' Favourite
    This has actually saved me money. I will not buy a pack at a loss
  • David12344
    21069 posts Club Captain
    I’ll put in my ten pence worth in.

So I have bought points regularly. And since the preview packs it has virtually stopped as to know I’m a paying £16 for a 82 highest rated puts me off payin for said pack.

However now we have the option not to do preview I have loaded some up again to have a go tonight.

It’s a case of I would rather not know I’m being shafted and they just shaft me without knowing When I see the pack I’ve paid for

if you get what I mean.

• Boffa
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Still not a sniff of a promo player from the previews.

Probably a shocking amount of money wasted if i had bought these.

I can imagine that people will create lots of accounts in fifa 22 to view packs until they get the jackpot.
  • oldboiler
    5470 posts Big Money Move

This will not make them more money. They will 100% be losing money as a result of this change.

Evidence to suggest that? …I’m not saying it’s not as a result of regulation, it clearly is. As for losing money, maybe making less profit :D …tbh I still think it’s a sound business model, spreading risk across more customer as opposed to relying on fewer customers buying large amounts of packs
  • Destin8or
    5943 posts Big Money Move
    Hold up.....
    The preview packs will have a different probability percentage 😂😂

"This means that, to generate the calculation for Pack Probabilities, both the standard Gold Pack and the Gold Preview Pack were separately run through the above process, which may result in some minor differences in the probabilities shown, despite the makeup of the packs being the same."
  • PaulDr
    4200 posts National Call-Up
    In the survey I suggested they gave both options, but that the blind packs should be cheaper. Can't see the point of pricing them the same.
  • Destin8or
    5943 posts Big Money Move
    PaulDr wrote: »
    In the survey I suggested they gave both options, but that the blind packs should be cheaper. Can't see the point of pricing them the same.

They want you to open the preview, then have to wait 24hrs for another, while the standard pack is there, winking at you.
  • Fifan100k1
    394 posts Sunday League Hero
    Unless the non preview packs can only be bought with coins I don’t see how this changes anything
  • Jonboyparker
    7569 posts League Winner
    edited July 2021
    Funny how I stopped buying packs with my excess coins as soon as I saw the contents. Now they going to put them both in store to see who buys what 🤔 seems like a research event

When I say excess... I put 10mil into packs before because I was done. I knew they would be trash but thought oh well, I don’t care. As soon as I started seeing the pack, I didn’t want to give EA my coins so Sat on them for a month before I decided to come back for a few games
  • Goodgod10
    617 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 2021
    You’ve got to have a bit of a gambling problem if you’re previewing a dreadful pack and still using actual coin to buy it in the hope of the next one being decent.
  • Ludinator19
    1050 posts Professional

Wrong. People who spend money on packs will continue to do so regardless of the whole preview angle. What EA will have now is people who don’t normally open packs will open the preview ones and buy anything that’s good in it.
  • SuperJames9005
    3271 posts National Call-Up

Wrong. People who spend money on packs will continue to do so regardless of the whole preview angle. What EA will have now is people who don’t normally open packs will open the preview ones and buy anything that’s good in it.

That's absolutely wrong. You definitely have no idea about why people who likes gambling open packs.
  • Boffa
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Looks like i got to free up some coins.
    Screenshot-20210716-190246-com-ea-gp-fifaultimate.jpg
  • aladdin
    3575 posts National Call-Up
    preview packs are erroring out
  • RayS
    37785 posts International Superstar
    aladdin wrote: »
    preview packs are erroring out

• PiotrLolo
    3781 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2021
    In mine 70k pack record breaker David silva and szczęsny

buy it? what is dicard price for david?
  • CarpeDiem
    3424 posts National Call-Up
    bnwPfou.jpg
  • Hugoku
    1530 posts Play-Off Hero
    Great pulls.

I got FS Reece James

• SteveieB123
    267 posts Sunday League Hero
    Meh. Both packs are absolute trash lol

Screenshot-20210716-181625-Companion.jpg
  • FutsalBros0710
    1689 posts Play-Off Hero
    RTTF UEL Pobga in first. Nice
  • Hugoku
    1530 posts Play-Off Hero
    PiotrLolo wrote: »
    In mine 70k pack record breaker David silva and szczęsny

buy it? what is dicard price for david?

Break even.

Sell and roll the dice again.
  • keith210277
    3626 posts National Call-Up
    First time EA haven't had lightening rounds on the first day of a new promo for a while. Of course it's during futties when loads of promo cards are in packs.