Comments

• AaronMFC
    2682 posts Fans' Favourite
    Pughy30 wrote: »
    Sounds harsh but Southgate still is not good enough imo, he bottled it today he shut up shop at half time and his subs are shocking

I dont think its harsh at all. The 90 mins today follow such a similar pattern to our Croatia loss. Italy were all over us for ages with Southgate relcutant to change anything. To me hes a good man but a terrible tactician. I think the players like him and will work for him but he isnt the best to guide them.
  • Kellnerr
    5095 posts Big Money Move
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Every single penalty shootout in the tournament was won by the team that went first
    What an utterly pointless unsporting way to style a tournament by a coin flip
    Absolute joke

ABBA then?

Nah, ABAB but shootouts like in ice hockey imo
  • Rossco160715
    2638 posts Fans' Favourite
    What an amazing night for world football.
  • forearms
    6044 posts Big Money Move
    I feel awful for Saka. Very harsh spot to be put into at such a young age.
  • Kanturk
    800 posts Semi-Pro
    It's coming Rome. :D
  • El_Nino
    9815 posts League Winner
    Saka taking that final penalty was moronic beyond belief, I don't know how Southgate or one of the experienced players didn't step in and say so honestly.
  • Neckabob
    14380 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 2021
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Every single penalty shootout in the tournament was won by the team that went first
    What an utterly pointless unsporting way to style a tournament by a coin flip
    Absolute joke

That has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Stop looking for stupid excuses
  • Kanturk
    800 posts Semi-Pro
    As much as I'm delighted the see the English and their thug fans beaten, I do feel a bit gutted for Rash, Jadon and Saka. Also Pickford deserved to have that pen save go down in English history. Bizarre subs all tournament finally came back to bite Southgate in the arse.
  • Pughy30
    29803 posts Player of the Year
  • Kellnerr
    5095 posts Big Money Move
    I mean what if Saka wanted to shoot? Can't blame it all on Southgate tbh. Same goes for the subs, if they had scored it would have been a manager masterpiece, not his fault that they ❤️❤️❤️❤️ it up big time with those stupid run ups.
  • El_Nino
    9815 posts League Winner
    Calling Southgate a failure for getting to a final will obviously not be received well by some, but that's the reality.

The route to the final was incredibly easy, and every single game should have been a win, England had a far better squad then everyone they played upto the final.

We were clearly the worse team in the final, and alot of that was down to the tactics we played.

Big credit to Southgate for showing Sterling should be played but outside of that he could've been so much better.
  • Pughy30
    This euros reminds me of your WC, beat the teams you’re expected to beat and once a challenge arises the team just can’t cut it
  • arsenalap
    13824 posts Has That Special Something
    Southgates subs have always been questionable.

Bringing on players just for a pen never really goes well.

And I got no ❤️❤️❤️❤️ idea why Saka took the 5th pen. Did Sterling or Grealish refuse to take a pen or something?
  • Ibte10
    2667 posts Fans' Favourite
    The strategy was just poor. Why sit back pretty much the whole second half? Grealish should have been on in the second half and at least one of Sancho/Rashford. England were doomed when they approached that second half that way.
  • Low Ki
    14254 posts Has That Special Something
    tbh you'd have won if italy didnt have donnarumma and chiellini. they broke so many good plays down, so good.
  • Shshj
    12816 posts Has That Special Something
    Discussing Southgate’s position feels redundant. He’s obviously going to be in charge next year and probably well into the 2024 Euros too.

I actually think these KO’s have been his best run of games but he got it horribly wrong tonight. A lot of poor performances too.
  • Pughy30
    Problem is with Southgate is he looks good because he beats lower quality opposition in knockout games. He done it at the World Cup and this Euros, he shouldn’t be getting praise for beating Ukraine or Denmark that should be expected
  • Teh Zombz
    5345 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 2021
    rice/hendo/phillips is always going to result in a defensive game plan against good teams no matter who's the manager
  • WryLucky
    6417 posts Big Money Move
    I thought Hendo was poor when he came on, Rice was good.
  • AaronMFC
    Problem is with Southgate is he looks good because he beats lower quality opposition in knockout games. He done it at the World Cup and this Euros, he shouldn’t be getting praise for beating Ukraine or Denmark that should be expected

Yep and the Germany team we beat were in awful form and managed very poorly. Im very proud of the team but theres a lot of what ifs that i dont feel like i should be thinking about due to how we were managed.
  • Bobo23
    4814 posts National Call-Up
    I will say one thing though, stutter penalties are simply the worst. Just run up and blast the ball!!!
  • El_Nino
    9815 posts League Winner
    edited July 2021
    Teh Zombz wrote: »
    rice/hendo/phillips is always going to result in a defensive game plan against good teams no matter who's the manager

Then don't pick 2 of them?

And if your going too, then play a 4 not a 3/5.

Mount has been fantastic at times for Chelsea dropping back into deeper roles, theres no reason England play so negatively other than Southgate.
  • Shshj
    edited July 2021
    In Southgate’s defence, I don’t get the easy run-in excuse on this occasion.

The quality of international football is poor in general. A lot of the major countries went home early. Ukraine was the only “easy” tie.
  • Pughy30
    The lack of Bellingham and Sancho this tournament was ridiculous
  • Kanturk
    800 posts Semi-Pro

As much as I do agree he's no Pep, the margins are just so tight. Saka scores that pen and Pickford saves and we all forget about it. You also can also only beat the teams you're drawn against so if they got an easy draw who cares.
  • Shshj
    edited July 2021
    Shoutout to Jordan Pickford by the way. Made some great stops and then saved two of the penalties. Was one of the few who turned up tonight.

Definitely my pick for our player of the tournament.
  • G000ner
    8563 posts League Winner
    I'm struggling to really blame anything or anyone tbh...

At the end of it we lost the final on a penalty shoot and that's always a coin toss. The little details I just don't care about anymore.

I thought the players did well overall. Defence was great, as were Rice and Kane. Only really Mount you'd expect more from and Southgate should have probably brought on Grealish for him around 70 mins, but again small detail really.

We set up negatively but it worked well for the first half, just a little too slow to make changes when we saw it wasn't working in the second. After we switched back to a 4 and Saka came on things improved. The last 15 mins after Grealish came on we were dominating them.

Then penalties I was never confident, fair play to Pickford since I wasn't expecting him to save that Jorginho pen. What a moment that could've been.

Hopefully we can push on from this now, it was a good tournament and we haven't played this well in a while. So close it just hurts.
  • G000ner
    8563 posts League Winner
    Shshj wrote: »
    Shoutout to Jordan Pickford by the way. Made some great stops and then saved two of the penalties. Was one of the few who turned up tonight.

He put in the performance of his life, really steps up for England when it matters
  • AaronMFC
    Shshj wrote: »

His save from Verratti just before they scored was absolutely amazing. Pickford really showed he deserves that number 1 shirt. I hope he is consistent for Everton from now on.