Wamangituka name change in game?

Loco_kniene
2359 posts Fans' Favourite
edited June 8
Just read an article that he lied about his real name and age, because he got false documents from his agent. He is actually 1 year older and his name is Silas Mvumpa.

What you guys think? Good he came out honest right?

https://news.in-24.com/sports/bundesliga/amp/98838

Screenshot-20210608-131942-Chrome.jpg

Comments

• Gazmac_868
    2895 posts Fans' Favourite
    Sure didn't obfemi Martins not lie about his age for years??
  • Loco_kniene
    @Gazmac_868 don't know mate. Silas got a new agent and decided to come clear, which I think is very clever of him.

• abhreebhu_45
    6797 posts Big Money Move
    It's OK

Atleast he came clean
  • Loco_kniene
    @abhreebhu_45 yeah that's what I mean. Good he comes clear now he has a new agent.
  • Gazmac_868
    2895 posts Fans' Favourite
    @Gazmac_868 don't know mate. Silas got a new agent and decided to come clear, which I think is very clever of him.

Yes definitely the right thing to do mate.
  • BogusTommy
    1986 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think there will be consequences. In 2019 a Congolese club claimed just this and that he was under contract with them at the time he left for Europe.

https://goal.com/en-us/news/stuttgart-coach-tim-walter-believes-in-silas-wamangitukas/sn7mt7stagk1jv2xyn7wiihi
  • SupaNoodle1990
    32195 posts National Team Captain
    Gazmac_868 wrote: »
    Sure didn't obfemi Martins not lie about his age for years??

Nwankwo Kanu had loads of doubt about his age also. Apparently he was much older than he was pretending to be.
  • rmoxon
    3276 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 8
    Well at least this will stop idiots from screaming “WAMAAAAAN!!” now.
  • JWNYsg
    7006 posts Big Money Move
    I propose we drop his tots and give it to Gnabry 🙊
  • SupaNoodle1990
    Age falsification was common in Nigeria and the likes of Yakubu, Kanu, Taribo West, Okocha & Martins are all said to be around 10 years older than they were meant to be.

There’s an article about it called Forever young if anyone’s interested.
  • leea12345
    730 posts Semi-Pro
    i lied about my age years ago to get in a pub, i now lie about my age now so i do not feel so old :)
  • Ballerson
    1253 posts Professional
    This is common knowledge in Europe with agents and those in the know that these boys are not of age...dudes still talented enough to do well in Bundesliga but he took some other European boys slot at the youth level by lying...And fyi he’s very likely not 22, more like 25. That means when he was playing u16 he was way more advanced physically than his peers. Boys who are in the 98% for height and speed have to compete against these cheaters—- and sad to say its almost always from Africa, although I know a boy from Afghanistan who is obviously 2- 4 years older than his refugee papers show...

What is infuriating is these guys and their agents cheat other boys who have to play by the rules..they should ban Simon and any other cheaters for one to two years...
  • GoodnightIrene
    4193 posts National Call-Up
    Always remember the rumours Falcao was 2 years older than he stated as well.
  • bberger
    7836 posts League Winner
    Ballerson wrote: »
    This is common knowledge in Europe with agents and those in the know that these boys are not of age...dudes still talented enough to do well in Bundesliga but he took some other European boys slot at the youth level by lying...And fyi he’s very likely not 22, more like 25. That means when he was playing u16 he was way more advanced physically than his peers. Boys who are in the 98% for height and speed have to compete against these cheaters—- and sad to say its almost always from Africa, although I know a boy from Afghanistan who is obviously 2- 4 years older than his refugee papers show...

What is infuriating is these guys and their agents cheat other boys who have to play by the rules..they should ban Simon and any other cheaters for one to two years...

The thing is most of them aren't lying about their age because they want to get in an U16 squad, but because they want to get out of their country on asylum. I knew people that were given falsified papers by the organizations that helped them get out of a warzone at home because underaged refugees are treated differently than grown ups.

I personally can't fault them. They're desperate to get out of an impossible situation with usually next to no knowledge about immigration laws and they need to trust the people that help them get out of there, shady or not, if they want to survive and have a future they basically need to do what they're told.
  • TheonlywayisS6
    3902 posts National Call-Up
    The only apt punishment is to take away 30 pace.
  • Slawter
    4349 posts National Call-Up
    I mean i do wonder, what exactly is to be gained from punishing him right now?
    If he's come clean and his club aren't worried, let by gones be by gones.
  • All4fun1991
    2352 posts Fans' Favourite
    He get caught up in a situation.,,But he did the right thing by coming out and tell the truth.
  • All4fun1991

I totally agree with what you’re saying. But his circumstances might be different, for someone coming from his background maybe that’s the only way he can get in. I’m sure also they’ve been many like him who didn’t make it…Professional football is a brutal business, I was reading about a former Nigerian footballer who played for few European clubs and at the end of his career he realised he did not make any money and ended up broke….Some of these guys are not even educated, they get agents that duped them into coming to Europe to be a professional footballer and get use for their talents…it’s a horrible business.
  • BogusTommy
    1986 posts Fans' Favourite
    Slawter wrote: »
    I mean i do wonder, what exactly is to be gained from punishing him right now?
    If he's come clean and his club aren't worried, let by gones be by gones.

Well, there is that Congolese club that claims he were under contract with when he faked his identity to get to Europe. Lets say Mbappe changes his papers and left for free to Barca. Would that be ok ?
  • Ballerson
    1253 posts Professional
    bberger wrote: »

The thing is most of them aren't lying about their age because they want to get in an U16 squad, but because they want to get out of their country on asylum. I knew people that were given falsified papers by the organizations that helped them get out of a warzone at home because underaged refugees are treated differently than grown ups.

I personally can't fault them. They're desperate to get out of an impossible situation with usually next to no knowledge about immigration laws and they need to trust the people that help them get out of there, shady or not, if they want to survive and have a future they basically need to do what they're told.

That’s a cool perspective and I appreciate you the work you seem to do... blame assignment is tricky as the situations you describe imply there are times when there are not easy answers — most not all of the situations I know of are boys from sub Saharan Africa. I empathize with awful situations and the need for sanctuary, but the fact remains — a boy whos 1-4 years older — take a rarified slot in Europe of a boy who’s age appropriate— and just because they need to flee whatever, it’s not right they take a boys slot whos age appropriate.
  • The_giant616
    1514 posts Play-Off Hero

Scouting and the agent set up in some parts of Africa is horrendous. I’ve heard stories of kids and their families getting ripped off by these agents and left at the air port in a foreign country, with no money and discovering it was all a lie. Sad stuff.
  • All4fun1991

Scouting and the agent set up in some parts of Africa is horrendous. I’ve heard stories of kids and their families getting ripped off by these agents and left at the air port in a foreign country, with no money and discovering it was all a lie. Sad stuff.

Absolutely bro, there are cases of them abandoning players once they get to Europe because they could not get them a club..Not to forget that these guys pay a huge money for the chance to play Europe…Football agents operate like mafias.
  • bberger
    7836 posts League Winner

That’s a cool perspective and I appreciate you the work you seem to do... blame assignment is tricky as the situations you describe imply there are times when there are not easy answers — most not all of the situations I know of are boys from sub Saharan Africa. I empathize with awful situations and the need for sanctuary, but the fact remains — a boy whos 1-4 years older — take a rarified slot in Europe of a boy who’s age appropriate— and just because they need to flee whatever, it’s not right they take a boys slot whos age appropriate.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with what you're saying. Especially when it comes to pro football - players should be vetted better.

I'm also in no way denying that some (maybe even a lot of them) are doing that on purpose with the goal of becoming a pro.

I'm merely trying to show a different (possible) reason why so many refugees end up with fake identities. Not trying to defend that at all because basically similar stuff applies to that scenario.

I don't know the background of Silas (haven't bothered reading up about it), but if he comes clean on his own free will it's imho a good sign that he's a good guy. After all it basically makes him worth less on the market because of his age and it may even destroy his reputation. Or he comes clean because he knows he'd get found out when transferring to a bigger club. Don't know, still the right thing to do imho.
  • Kaptentegel
    1179 posts Professional
    Screenshot-20210608-203432-FUTBIN.jpg
  • Dramacydal
    628 posts An Exciting Prospect

He didnt play U 16. Also he has official papers. He had a trainig session with RSC Anderlecht in 2017 with his correct papers. And his real name Katompa Mvumpa. Anderlecht wanted him but told him to go back to Congo and they will contact him. This is where the Agent came in. He took him to france and he played 1 year in the Fith Division for Olympique Ales. He lived with the Agent who changed his name. Wamangituka is one of the names of his Father. And just changed his birthday by exactly 1 year. The Agent kept his passport and made a bank account for him. But he didnt give Silas any money. He told him if he ever told anybody he would never play Football in Europe again. The Agents name is known and the Authorities are looking into it. So far it looks like Silas will get a fine and thats it
  • Fifapayne
    4982 posts Big Money Move
    What does being born in 99 vs 98 even matter?
  • Ballerson
    1253 posts Professional
    Dramacydal wrote: »

He didnt play U 16. Also he has official papers. He had a trainig session with RSC Anderlecht in 2017 with his correct papers. And his real name Katompa Mvumpa. Anderlecht wanted him but told him to go back to Congo and they will contact him. This is where the Agent came in. He took him to france and he played 1 year in the Fith Division for Olympique Ales. He lived with the Agent who changed his name. Wamangituka is one of the names of his Father. And just changed his birthday by exactly 1 year. The Agent kept his passport and made a bank account for him. But he didnt give Silas any money. He told him if he ever told anybody he would never play Football in Europe again. The Agents name is known and the Authorities are looking into it. So far it looks like Silas will get a fine and thats it

Great details. Good he didn’t take a kids spot in youth. He’s a talented guy. Glad he came clean...
  • Ballerson
    1253 posts Professional
    edited June 8
    Fifapayne wrote: »
    What does being born in 99 vs 98 even matter?

It does matter if a kid is almost 1.5- 2 years in actual age older. Say hes really born Jan 1 2004 but hes playing 2005 year kids. A 2005 could be born January to December. It’s a year to 2 years physical advantage which is huge advantage in 13-17 year olds, could be the difference in 4-8 inches of height or 10-20kgs, muscle density etc etc...it all evens out when true of age kids mature, but a lot of clubs will turn their eyes to developing players and just play the most physically talented kids...and some of the true age kids get dropped because fake kids take their place...make sense?
  • SupaNoodle1990
    He could have also signed contracts before legally able to, which makes them void.