Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Pughy30
    29473 posts Player of the Year
    edited May 26
    Ole and those players only have themselves to blame the 2nd half and added time was awful football
  • Ahmer50x
    30471 posts National Team Captain
    Don't know what to say to that shootout.
  • yosef167
    2630 posts Fans' Favourite
    this match is on Ole
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    34279 posts National Team Captain
    edited May 26
    Queue up the SM abuse for DDG. Smh. Feel for him. Game should have never gone to a shootout.
  • Teh Zombz
    4937 posts National Call-Up
    only the EL, not to bothered

2e3h38.jpg
  • El_Nino
    8412 posts League Winner
    edited May 26
    Wows, I do feel sorry for you as fans, 11-10 on pens is a horrendous way to lose.

But it was fully deserved, the squad and team you had should have been more than capable of winning, but some of your biggest players let you down, and on the big stage Ole looked lost.

You looked like a team that didn't belong in a final.
  • Ahmer50x
    Queue up the SM abuse for DDG. Smh. Feel for him. Game should have never gone to a shootout.

If your GK is taking a penalty to keep you alive, you've got bigger issues.

Ridiculous to be scapegoating him.
  • UM4R
    4585 posts Moderator
    As ever we were waiting for a moment of magic to win this, Ole has earned himself another season but he needs to start implementing a plan where we are creating chances without just needing a moment of magic
  • Shshj
    8567 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

I mean, he was only taking a penalty because he failed to save the previous 11 that he faced.

Then he missed the crucial one.
  • yosef167
    Good "bad" Night everyone
  • Rand0m Hero
    1127 posts Professional
    Well that was a match that happened. How have Villareal come 7th with that many ice cold assassins in their squad ? Surely they could have tried to shoot in regulation.
  • El_Nino
    8412 posts League Winner
    edited May 26
    Zidane and Conte supposably both out of jobs now, I know you'll stick with Ole and I completely understand why, but you can't help but feel you'd be a better team with one of those managing.

I get the politics with Conte and Zidane is still new too and Ole's league performance was good but still.

There has to be a big worry Ole will waste the best United squad in over a decade.
  • Ryan
    9506 posts League Winner

The bigger issue is that you have a goalkeeper that can’t save a penalty.
  • XxRichiexRichxX

Exactly, but you just know people on SM are going to do exactly that and it’s pathetic. Already seeing it.
  • Ahmer50x

This is a decision of Ole's we can maybe scrutinize. Should've considered pulling an LVG.
  • Ahmer50x

Exactly, but you just know people on SM are going to do exactly that and it’s pathetic. Already seeing it.

Yeah, you know I've been wanting to bench DDG for 2 years. I'm not a DDG defender. I just find it bizarre that people are choosing to focus on that rather than the 120 minutes of collective failure beforehand.
  • G000ner
    6926 posts Big Money Move
    Safe to say Ole made a mistake not bringing on Henderson :D. Jesus Christ De Gea's penalty record is no coincidence. Rulli is also an awful keeper, otherwise you would've lost much sooner.

Terribly managed game, I don't know what Ole was doing with his subs when clearly you needed fresh legs. Were you playing for pens from 70 mins onwards?
  • Kman
    3729 posts National Call-Up
    De Gea hadn’t made a save on pens since 2016 right?

That’s on Ole quite a bit that one. Tactics were off late in the game..late bad subs and probably should’ve subbed Henderson for the pens knowing Dave’s record. Game shows we need signings but..
  • Nem
    7746 posts League Winner
    United have just lost a European final to a hard working Villarreal team. It's hard to spin any positive from that.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    And yeah definitely no offense on DDG, but OGS absolutely should have brought Hendo on in the final minutes for the shootout
  • Tornado31619
    28761 posts Player of the Year
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    I think you guys win easily today unless the players are a bit gassed. Something like 4-1 sounds about right.

I know this Emerys tournament but the skill gap between the two teams is way bigger than usual.

You never know in this competition. Inter had a lot more talent than Sevilla last year and lost.

Though, I don't mind emulating Inter if we do it entirely and lose today and go on to easily win the league next year :joy:

Well we’re one step closer to that now
  • Ahmer50x
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Zidane and Conte supposably both out of jobs now, I know you'll stick with Ole and I completely understand why, but you can't help but feel you'd be a better team with one of those managing.

I get the politics with Conte and Zidane is still new too and Ole's league performance was good but still.

There has to be a big worry Ole will waste the best United squad in over a decade.

The manager's position is non-negotiable in the short to medium term.

Doesn't matter if we lose our first 5 matches of next season 5-0 each, he shouldn't be going anywhere. He's earned time based on the league performances over the past 18 months or so and he will get it.

Any debate about his status is a hysterical waste of time.
  • Pughy30
    29473 posts Player of the Year
    I don’t think sacking Ole is out of the question for someone better. This season has been awful quality, he’s not untouchable because he finished above a Liverpool team with no CB’s and a Chelsea team who wasted their time under Lampard
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    15262 posts World Class

Doesn't matter if we lose our first 5 matches of next season 5-0 each, he shouldn't be going anywhere. He's earned time based on the league performances over the past 18 months or so and he will get it.

Have to agree with this. Defeat tonight changes nothing for me. Ole can only lead us here. Its upto the players to deliver. I'm sure he would have went for hendo tonight, but probably gave DDG the chance to be a hero one last time (that's what it looked like to me)

The players failed to deliver tonight (90mins) I maybe would have chucked on Amad to run at a tired Villareal. But this isn't on the management for me. Nor is it on DDG. We just bet red on roulette and got done.... We'll be back
  • El_Nino
    8412 posts League Winner

It's a forum, literally every discussion is hypothetical, and a waste of time 🤣

Maybe I'm biased because being such a fan of Lampard and being unhappy we fired him to so happy as we have Tuchel now, im expecting the same to happen to you.

I get Ole has earned his time with the league performance this year, I'm not doubting that, im merely saying you may well look back at this in a couple of years time and realize it would have been a great opportunity to make the most of your talented squad under a world class manager.
  • yosef167
    So what do you guys think After losing this final
    we still had good season? or its juat another average season?
    for me i wouldnt count it good season we went trophyless for another year .. losing a final .. we have some records that we could break but finishing 2nd while chelsea had awful season (Pre Tuchel) and liverpool was bad and still both wasnt far off us doesnt look like big achievement
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    15262 posts World Class
    Considering my opinion when the board didn't back ole. Which we all know happened but people have forgot...

To take THIS team, with not his first choice signings. Is a good season. We reach a European final and finish second domestically (UCL qualified)...

So for that reason I'd say a good season. After they didn't back ole I was certain they hung him out to dry and would be gone by February. I'm glad he proved myself and others wrong (imho)
  • Kanturk
    762 posts Semi-Pro
    Rashford appalling tonight. Ole must take the blame for not taking him off. Dan James would have offered more than him tonight. Mctominay impressive second half. The rest let Ole down really bad tonight. I thought he was cowardly playing for pens for so far out.