Comments

• Stlducks
    6811 posts Big Money Move
    I'm seeing people make fun of Southgate for picking 30 players but it's smart. A few players with injuries now that are recovering plus three teams in finals still. Give him credit for not screwing it up.
  • Pughy30
    29473 posts Player of the Year
    I can't be the only one in here who thinks Eric Dier getting in the England team is ridiculous?
  • WryLucky
    4926 posts National Call-Up
    Pughy30 wrote: »
    I can't be the only one in here who thinks Eric Dier getting in the England team is ridiculous?

Dier in the England team is inevitable. One day they'll be a manager who doesn't pick Dier.
  • Ashy
    16349 posts World Class
    WryLucky wrote: »

Dier in the England team is inevitable. One day they'll be a manager who doesn't pick Dier.

At that point Dier will be the manager himself
  • Tornado31619
    28761 posts Player of the Year
    Ben White, Ben Godfrey and Reece James all in the provisional squad according to the Athletic
  • Ashy
    16349 posts World Class
    Had Southgate picked like 7 centre backs and left Trent out for James? Honestly that means 5 at the back if he's picked that many centre backs and probably left Tomori at home :D

Maguire, Stones, Mings, Coady, Dier, White, Godfrey
  • G000ner
    6926 posts Big Money Move

No Eric Dier thank god. He hasn't ❤️❤️❤️❤️ up so far, but it would have been difficult to do so with a 33 man squad. He's basically just selected every player that's played for England in the last couple of years :D
  • Ashy
    16349 posts World Class
    edited May 25
    Goodbye: Ramsdale, one RB (James/Trent), one CB (Godfrey/White), one CM (Bellingham/Ward Prowse), Lingard, one of Saka/Greenwood and Watkins.

Knowing Southgate it will be, Ramsdale, Trent, White, Bellingham, Grealish, Greenwood, Watkins
  • Pxul_
    11316 posts Has That Special Something
    Would also depend on injuries, especially with United, Chelsea and city all playing in finals soon.
  • G000ner
    I wonder how fit Henderson is actually gonna be, that's the question I have, he hasn't played for months and Euros begins in a couple of weeks :D
  • G000ner
    Also ESR should have been selected over Lingard, but I don't mind him getting a rest
  • Tornado31619
    I’d take Saka over Greenwood tbh
  • Ryan
    9506 posts League Winner
    No Joe Willock. It’s like Southgate wants to get the sack.
  • Pughy30
    I really don't get all these complaints I'm seeing about AWB not being in the squad, he's incredibly one dimensional in a position with loads of depth.
  • Ahmer50x
    30471 posts National Team Captain
    I really don't get all these complaints I'm seeing about AWB not being in the squad, he's incredibly one dimensional in a position with loads of depth.

I don't think anyone thinks he should be a starting fullback for England.

I think the complaint is that he would be incredibly useful in the squad vs say France to defend Mbappe 1 v 1 or whatever.
  • G000ner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

I don't think anyone thinks he should be a starting fullback for England.

I think the complaint is that he would be incredibly useful in the squad vs say France to defend Mbappe 1 v 1 or whatever.

Walker is better for that though
  • Tornado31619
    Have no problems with Reece James, problem is that it’ll likely be Trent/Walker in a back five instead
  • Ashy
    16349 posts World Class
    Walker did keep Mbappe quiet in the UCL
  • Pughy30
    For me AWB is too far the wrong way, I'd rather Walker because ye he might not be as good 1v1 but AWB in attack mean teams won't even bother closing him down when he's crossing
  • El_Nino
    8412 posts League Winner
    If you want a physical defender then James or Walker are far better than AWB and have much more attacking threat.

AWB may be the best 1v1 defender of the bunch but it's not enough to compensate for what he lacks compared to the others, even in big games.

I'd feel more confident with James or Walker marking Mbappe thanks to there physical ability.
  • arsenalap
    10719 posts Has That Special Something
    Mbappe would toast both Walker and James.

AWB might have a chance.

So my opinion is the opposite tbh.
  • Tornado31619
    Doesn’t Mbappé play on the right? It’d be Shaw who goes up against him.
  • G000ner
    AWB might be good in 1v1 and time his tackles well, but that's only a small aspect of defending. With his positioning, strength and pace, I'd back Walker to a better job with Mbappe. He regularly pockets quick, direct players
  • AaronMFC
    2261 posts Fans' Favourite
    G000ner wrote: »
    AWB might be good in 1v1 and time his tackles well, but that's only a small aspect of defending. With his positioning, strength and pace, I'd back Walker to a better job with Mbappe. He regularly pockets quick, direct players

Man City dominate games so much Walkers strengths going forward are utilised and they manage to hide his weaknesses. He cant defend crosses and his positioning isnt particularly good. I am almost certain he will look poor in an England shirt against the better sides.
  • G000ner
    AaronMFC wrote: »

Man City dominate games so much Walkers strengths going forward are utilised and they manage to hide his weaknesses. He cant defend crosses and his positioning isnt particularly good. I am almost certain he will look poor in an England shirt against the better sides.

I wouldn't say his strength is going forward anymore. City usually have him stay back, while the full back on the other side gets forward more. His main strength is stopping counter attacks. I feel like people think too much about that mistake he made against Croatia in a back 3. Generally he's pretty solid defensively, especially this season.
  • AaronMFC

I wouldn't say his strength is going forward anymore. City usually have him stay back, while the full back on the other side gets forward more. His main strength is stopping counter attacks. I feel like people think too much about that mistake he made against Croatia in a back 3. Generally he's pretty solid defensively, especially this season.

Tbf he does get forward and overlap a fair bit. I get it his pace lets him get back in position that is his major strength. I can think of multiple mistakes he has made in big games for City though, Im not basing this on Croatia he was also at fault for the 1st goal we conceded against Iceland as another point of call internationally. I just dont think hes strong enough defensively to not play TAA who is a serious threat and would be very handy for taking set pieces. Young and Trippiers set pieces at the last world cup was one of our major strengths. Think we should be looking at that as a plan again.
  • G000ner

Tbf he does get forward and overlap a fair bit. I get it his pace lets him get back in position that is his major strength. I can think of multiple mistakes he has made in big games for City though, Im not basing this on Croatia he was also at fault for the 1st goal we conceded against Iceland as another point of call internationally. I just dont think hes strong enough defensively to not play TAA who is a serious threat and would be very handy for taking set pieces. Young and Trippiers set pieces at the last world cup was one of our major strengths. Think we should be looking at that as a plan again.

I think we need to get away from being overly-reliant on set-pieces, it will only get us so far. As soon as we come up against a team decent in the air, we'll struggle to score. I don't mind playing Trent, but I don't ever see Southgate playing Trent in a back 4. With Walker I can see him doing that because he offers more defensively and gives the team a bit more balance. We should really be playing a back 4 to make the most out Grealish, Mount, Foden etc.
  • AaronMFC

I think we need to get away from being overly-reliant on set-pieces, it will only get us so far. As soon as we come up against a team decent in the air, we'll struggle to score. I don't mind playing Trent, but I don't ever see Southgate playing Trent in a back 4. With Walker I can see him doing that because he offers more defensively and gives the team a bit more balance. We should really be playing a back 4 to make the most out Grealish, Mount, Foden etc.

Its not a sole strategy im not saying we should play like a Tony Pulis team I just think being a threat from set pieces should definitely be a part of our plan. If we play a back 4 we will almost certainly play 2 holding mids so we wont be more attacking anyway. Hope Im wrong but if we play a back 5 and give the full backs licence it will be more attacking than a back 4 in a team southgate will probably pick.
  • Kellnerr
    4656 posts National Call-Up
    Walker has regularly struggled in an England side because they were not as dominant as Man City. Same actually goes for Stones, but I believe he has improved quite well.
    I'd play Walker as RCB in a back 5 but definitely not in a back four, not even if it's only to stop the likes of Mbappe. England are good enough of a team to play attacking football with threat by the full backs, Trent, James or Trippier should play imo.
  • AaronMFC
    Rumours that it is trent getting dropped appalling decision if true.