-- The big latency/ping/input problem Thread --

Comments

• IDARYL
    5679 posts Big Money Move
    connection means nothing other than your gonna connected to people futher away. You should only connect to uk players if your from uk etc. me and my mate play cod and i search for games because my connection is worse and i will only connect to people close by while he connects us to people all over he world
  • silas1980
    707 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited August 2015
    Finally someone has made a thread on this!!! Thank you.

I've got all the symptoms you list and it can go one game fine, usually the first game, then the rest awful, or it's awful all night, online or offline (yeah, offline. That's why I've all but ruled out my broadband connection) and it can go on for days. Basically what I'm saying is that it doesn't seem to have any predictability or reasoning to it. Sometimes it can even depend what division you're in, online or offline, and as soon as you're promoted or relegated - it's fine again.

Input lag would suggest there's a tv problem. I bought my Sony tv especially for gaming because it has a very low ms and it's fine with every other games. Hell, it's fine with fifa....most times. A tv would be consistent with it's ms not change on each damn game of FIFA. Controller problem? I'm doubting that.

I'm inclined to think this has got something to do with either the hospitality settings, ELO, or Ultimate Team. I've always had the feeling the game's set up for Ultimate Team i.e. ELO, "chemistry", momentum etc. and then the other mode's take it's coding. Never had this problem pre-U.T but I have the last four or five years on an off with three different ISPs, three different routers, four different tvs, two PS3s and two PS4s and always DMZ'd and yet this problem, off and on, never seems to go away.

btw can you add "player movement momentum" to your list, because the most irritating of my symptoms is that the players seemingly takes an age after his first touch to position his body in order to play the next move. i.e. first touch fine, 2 days later he finally gets into a position to play the ball, more often than not you don't even get a chance to pass or shoot after this because while your player's taking this little holiday to position his body that should take milliseconds, he's already been dispossessed.

Overall the best way I can describe all the symptoms is: SLUGGISH. I don't think it's a coincidence that a Google search of "FIFA" and "sluggish" gets over 450,000 results.

• Marleigh
    2209 posts Fans' Favourite
    One of the biggest problems is that people don't diagnose their problems so an awful lot of things get lumped under lag.

1. Router resetting - it's something that's often overlooked but if you don't reset your router every now and then you will get worse online performance. It's something that's very easy to do and which can solve quite a few issues. Just turn your router off, leave it off for 30 secs or so and turn it back on.

2. Interference - if you are using wireless devices (such as a wireless pad or wireless connection) then you are at the mercy of potential interference. Microwave ovens, cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, wireless video cameras, outdoor microwave links, wireless game controllers,fluorescent lights, and even bad electrical connections-all these things can cause broad RF spectrum emissions. tl:dr wired connections for internet and game controllers is always better

3. TV - modern TVs generally have a mode to avoid lag, this article explains it better than I could http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

And of course the biggest problem which is basically out of your control.

Its a peer to peer connection,from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-lag-effect-psn-xbox-live-analysis (article is worth a full read)

Next up there's the peer-to-peer or P2P system. This is rather more complicated to explain but essentially, game data is beamed from player to player, meaning there is a whole host of different latencies between each participant. However, there is one player who is the host - he is the most important part of the system as it is he who decides the "reality" of the game - who shot whom, essentially.

The host defines the reality of the game for everyone else. While the host still has to deal with varying levels of latency from each of the participating players, he has the advantage in that his own actions are processed locally, and so, one stage of lag is removed from the equation. How developers deal with host advantage can be controversial - but again, this process is invisible to the player. A number of racing titles, plus Uncharted 3, use P2P technology.

Their conclusion

So, is online gaming fair, presenting a level playing field to all participant? The conclusion must be that it is a bit of a lottery unless you set up private matches with people you know you share a good connection with. There are few guarantees otherwise, but based on our experiments, if we don't have a five-bar connection, we probably wouldn't want to be playing at all. In general, PC gaming at least makes some effort to inform the player on the quality of the connection to other players with actual metrics - something that only exists in a limited form on console.
  • silas1980
    edited August 2015
    I think maybe you're underestimating the people who have reported this problem. Most people, I feel, will have investigated the problem before saying "It's the game's fault" i.e. ISPs, routers, resetting, port fowarding, static i.ps, DMZing, input lag, game mode, upnp, knowledge of servers and p2p etc. etc.

I'd like to think that most people having the problem with this game have indeed tried to narrow down what's causing their game to have the OP's problems and have still failed to get their game playing as it should, regardless of doing everything above that should be almost common knowledge to any gamer.
  • Antiversum
    5784 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 2015
    pittphan wrote: »
    I experience button lag even when playing offline....

This is completely common when playing on a TV. You'll see immediately a difference when you use a PC-Monitor. Try to figure out if your TV has "Gaming-Mode" which might lower your inputlag. If not, your only help is buying a new TV.
  • Soiski
    123 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    What an excellent post. I experience all those issues you described on a regular basis.
    b9df75324b1a57c6a4889d670d9f21c4.png
    From Finland btw.
  • silas1980
    Antiversum wrote: »

This is completely common when playing on a TV. You'll see immediately a difference when you use a PC-Monitor. Try to figure out if your TV has "Gaming-Mode" which might lower your inputlag. If not, your only help is buying a new TV.

Only if it happens all of the time. If it happens some of the time then it's not input lag.
  • ha032742
    35284 posts Moderator
    Aias87 wrote: »
    POSSIBLE CAUSES & WILD THEORIES
    - High ping EA servers
    When trying to ping easo.ea.com I get awfull results varying from 100.000ms to 300.000ms.
    I'd love to see some of your results.

- My TV creates input lag
    I've never in al these years switched TV's. I've had a big Samsung TV all this time, but since the input lag is inconsistent it doesn't seem to originate from my TV.

Your post is very similar to my current set up/experience. My trace route gives awful results to EA servers. As for the TV input lag, mine has one of the lowest currently available on the market so don't think it could be that.
  • Finxjar
    39 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited August 2015
    Antiversum wrote: »

I played on PC and PS4 results are the same. Most of the people in this thread has done every hardware/software check and no one can pinpoint the problem.

I would really like from EA community managers to forward this issue to EA and have some official response from them. They will loose customers over this issue, i will not buy a game which is not working properly and i am almost positive that problem is not on my side.
  • Add me to the list, I'm from Florida

My most experienced problems
    (I play A LOT so I have seen these problems quite a bit)

Passes being way to short, even though sufficient power was applied before passing... Very annoying when playing possesion. It happens to me every day, almost every game I'll find a couple passes that are just absolute trash, resulting in a beautiful counter attack opportunity for my opponent.

Slow turning players, slow to react to whatever I input into the controller. Again, happens basically every game where I notice this at a certain point.

Very laggy games. Not just the occasional lag, but fierce, rage inducing lag that will make you turn off your Xbox. Happens a few times a week.

Player switching problems. At certain times in a game, there will come a time when I am trying to switch players and the game will NOT change my player at all. I'll mash LB, flick the right stick like a mad man, nothing works. It's like I'm locked into controlling a player.

The WEIRDEST things happen in game. Awful touches when a ball is really easy to handle, poor passing when someone is wide open.. And then my favorite, my AI players collide, they both fall, and im left helpless. Also, AI players running INTO your way when on the attack. I'll be moving one way, my AI decides that it too wants to go the exact same way, and he plows into the guy I am controlling.
  • Aias87
    625 posts Sunday League Hero
    Finxjar wrote: »
    Thank you for creating this thread. I am from Croatia and my problems with input lag started 2-3 months ago, everything was smooth untill than. First i played on PC than i bought PS4 but the problem remained.

I have quality connection and i dont have problems with any other games i play f.ex. BF4, also i tried every possible solution; NAT, Port opening, DMZ...nothing helps.

Im not sure if i should buy FIFA 16 i am afraid i will waste my money if problem remains. :(
    F3RNY7 wrote: »
    I've suffered with this for as long as i can remember (UK, Xbox One and 360)have tried all modem and router configurations, port forwarding, DMZ, UPNP, controller changes, new gamertag, TV changes....

But the bottom line is fifa is the only area I experience this. No issues with far more bandwidth demanding games and applications.

My guess is either it's coded into the game (but then again you get plenty of people saying they don't have such issues) or its an issue with specific EA servers.

I get it in 9 out of 10 games and for that reason I've barely touched FUT in months and I used to be a complete addict.

FIFA must be the most unstable game in history with the constant server issues, web app issues, random DNFs, shed loads of downtime throughout the year....so I'm 100% convinced whatever issue there is is at EAs end. My hardware setup literally could not be more conducive to a blissful online experience, which I get in all other areas, but never have (or will, it seems) in FIFA.

For the first time in years I will not be buying a new FIFA this year. I'll wait until I can borrow a copy for a week and see whether anything has changed before I give EA more of my hard earned money. They can make all the improvements they like to visuals, licences, stadiums, new game modes but none of that matters when you can't play the game properly due to factors outside of your control.

I'm sorry to hear you guys suffer from this issue too. Have you ever tried to ping & traceroute to easo.ea.com?
  • Aias87
    silas1980 wrote: »
    Finally someone has made a thread on this!!! Thank you.

btw can you add "player movement momentum" to your list, because the most irritating of my symptoms is that the players seemingly takes an age after his first touch to position his body in order to play the next move. i.e. first touch fine, 2 days later he finally gets into a position to play the ball, more often than not you don't even get a chance to pass or shoot after this because while your player's taking this little holiday to position his body that should take milliseconds, he's already been dispossessed.

Hi Silas! I will add movement momentum to the list, I 100% recognize this issue. If you can, will you try to ping easo.ea.com? And post results?
  • Aias87
    Add me to the list, I'm from Florida

My most experienced problems
    (I play A LOT so I have seen these problems quite a bit)

Player switching problems. At certain times in a game, there will come a time when I am trying to switch players and the game will NOT change my player at all. I'll mash LB, flick the right stick like a mad man, nothing works. It's like I'm locked into controlling a player.

The WEIRDEST things happen in game. Awful touches when a ball is really easy to handle, poor passing when someone is wide open.. And then my favorite, my AI players collide, they both fall, and im left helpless. Also, AI players running INTO your way when on the attack. I'll be moving one way, my AI decides that it too wants to go the exact same way, and he plows into the guy I am controlling.

So darn recognizable. Pure horror. Added to the list bud.
  • Aias87
    Marleigh wrote: »
    So, is online gaming fair, presenting a level playing field to all participant? The conclusion must be that it is a bit of a lottery unless you set up private matches with people you know you share a good connection with. There are few guarantees otherwise, but based on our experiments, if we don't have a five-bar connection, we probably wouldn't want to be playing at all. In general, PC gaming at least makes some effort to inform the player on the quality of the connection to other players with actual metrics - something that only exists in a limited form on console.

Hi Marleigh, thanks for taking the time to react and post. Thanks for the info on p2p connections, but I don't think it's related to latency issues because of p2p gaming. When I suffer from this type of lag, I'll have it every single game for maybe 30-40 games.

So I personally don't think it has anything to do with a single connection between two PS4's. Do you recognize any of these issues? Not just for the odd game, but for longer periods in a row, every single game?
  • Finxjar
    39 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I'm sorry to hear you guys suffer from this issue too. Have you ever tried to ping & traceroute to easo.ea.com?

My ping is around 130 to easo.ea.com
  • NornIron
    11771 posts Has That Special Something
    Havent played fifa for months because of the lag then played a few tonight started just playing H2H seasons everything was great so went on Ultimate team tried 3 matches just quit them all the lag was unreal no point playing them.
  • Warrior
    1775 posts Moderator
    I don't think having a green latency bar means much, had it a lot but the games have been very laggy and unplayable to the point the opponent quits quite often after I score or vice versa. Taking a break as a result.
  • Fumbler
    2509 posts Fans' Favourite
    I get the same sluggishness sometimes with offline games against the CPU on higher difficulties. Only on higher difficulties when the CPU cheats. Lower difficulties my players are responsive and fast. I'm pretty sure there's a correlation somewhere with this and online matches. We'll just leave it to the imagination for what it really might mean, though.
  • NornIron
    11771 posts Has That Special Something
    Was just looking at setting an stuff and noticed Origin Feb 13 thinking about it that's when most of the problems ive been having with lag started around then.
  • BrettO
    259 posts Sunday League Hero
    please add me :Brett-Melbourne Australia.
  • RassemArsenal
    116 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited August 2015
    i have had this problem since the beginning of fifa 15 on ps4. now i have tried so many tricks and work arounds.

before i begin let me just briefly state what i go through.
    1- everything you mentioned, and i mean everything. from sluggish movements, to insanely slow passes, to retardedness in every part of the pitch, from pressing shoot and rather crossing.

my internet speed is 100mb/s with a cat6 wired connection, playing on a 65inch LG TV.

my theory about this and as have others mentioned, its embedded in the CD. it has nothing to do with your account, internet, tv or controller.

Now i tried the high rated teams in FUT and low Rated teams and nothing changed that so it definitely has nothing to do with handicap.

THE SOLUTION I TRIED (works 50% of the time)

i read this somewhere so i did not create this or make it up.

Before i continue, for those who tried offline and the input lag was there then try this method as well.

I followed these step by step and to be really fair it kinda worked sometimes but other times NOTHING changed.

Step 1, switch ps4 on and log in as NEW USER
    2-start fifa 15 normally
    3-now when the LIVERPOOL vs CITY game starts QUIT it.
    4- While in main menus Disable EA TRAX, then Press and hold the PS button
    5-choose switch user
    6-go back to your original user
    7-access UT and try it.

another thing you can try is UNPLUG your ethernet cable from the ps4 and launch fifa 15. see if the nonsense goes away. cause it kinda works when playing kickoff. on the other hand when connected to the internet while playing kickoff the INPUT lag occurs alot.

I HAVE A FEELING this occurs so much more on Ps4 than XboxONE (regarding next GEN only)

So might switch to Xboxone and give it a go with a FRESH NEW ACCOUNT.
    need advice from Xbox1 users regarding this please.
  • Jonny
    6331 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 2015
    I get a lot of the things you have mentioned, but the main ones for me are:

1)My players not intercepting balls that are literally played through their body

2)Short passes being intercepted too easily.

3) I make a tackle, and the player misses the ball or the tackl

4) Passes that just bounce off my player.

I'd estimate that I get this lag in 8-9/10 games.

I also have this weird one that happens very rarely but when It does, I just quit out immediately regardless If its still 0-0:

It becomes impossible to score. I could literally be facing goal, 10 yards away and just tap shoot and the wall will just go 20 yards wide. I've been at a slight angle and I will shoot and it will go for a throw. Like I say this is rare, but If I cant score then there is little point in playing.

I actually made a thread about it months ago iirc.

Edit: Yes I did. http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/13991/every-shot-going-wide#latest

Didn't get any useful comments though, shocker. :D
  • played a h2h game just before as arsenal, hoping I could get some nice passing going...turns out that I was lucky to complete one pass. half the time, the ball wouldn't reach, the other half the receiving player would do a strange lunging animation and end up losing it. Simply impossible. Whether you're bruce grannec or nextdoor's dog, you can't compete with it. Ended the match on 53% pass accuracy, and my opponent on 51%, which at least suggests things weren't great for him either. When I get a rare good game, my accuracy is usually high 80s, even against good players. So the drastic reduction gives some idea of what I'm dealing with. A complete and utter mess.
  • oh and another thing I meant to mention...every time I got into a shooting position, my guy would slide as though he was trying to stretch for the ball, yet he had it right at his feet!! and to add insult to injury, he quite naturally missed the ball and fell over each time.
  • Jfo88
    22669 posts Club Captain
    I'd also like to know how matchmaking works because I never play anyone near me. I'm in houston and I'm playing people in Portugal surely there is someone in the us I can get matched with
  • sonofocelot
    183 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I don't play UT but even online friendlies and seasons are HORRIFIC. Every single other game on the new gen consoles run as smoothly online as they do offline. Even the likes of rocket league, a FREE game, has far better servers. It's just disgusting how little effort EA choose to put in.

Most games I can just jump on and play, but for fifa, I have to go and reboot my router before I start, turn off every other device in my house, computer, wifi on phone etc, and even then it feels so "sticky" online. Players constantly pulled out of position, taking 2 full seconds to respond to pass requests sometimes. Especially on manual settings that I play on, even 0.1 seconds is absolutely vital, and they've done NOTHING to change stuff.

We've been given a brand shiny new generation of consoles, and what have they done? Taken 90% of the features we had on fifa 13 and previous out, the servers have got 10x worse, and all they focus on is UT because it puts an extra £10 in the fat cats Christmas bonus.

It's absolutely **** disgusting. This game simply shouldn't be on the shelves in it's current state, and the servers should've been upgraded when the generation changed. They simply can't cope with it.

Why do we put up with it? Because it's still better than PES. Just. And we all want a football game to play. But any other game and this would be slandered left right and centre. It's disgusting that they get away with it.

This is our second year on new gen now, and still none of the old features, still disgustingly bad "stickiness" on every online game, still poor graphics overall, still stupidly boring CPU AI, pro clubs is still catered purely to assisted players, UT is still their love child that they solely focus on.

I've got a decent internet connection where every other game runs perfectly online, and I don't spend hard earned cash (something EA will never understand) on a game that simply doesn't run properly.

**** fifa, **** EA, and **** the servers. Bunch of idiots.
  • huntskij
    528 posts Sunday League Hero
    PEOPLE THAT EXPERIENCE INPUT LAG ON A REGULAR BASIS

Aias87 - The Netherlands
    MemphisDepay - The Netherlands
    Lurtex - Norway
    Finxjar - Croatia
    WWEFAN24_TRIPLEH - Germany
    Jfo88 - USA (Texas)
    Clint Eastwood - USA (Westcoast)
    futbolLover - USA (Florida)
    F3RNY7 - UK
    Soiski - Finland
    ha032742 -
    silas1980 -
    Celinhohyoga -
    ProSkillZ10 -
    Oside Reds -
    Nornlron -
    Pittphan -
    Mr.Spireite -
    Simplylarry -

Huntskij
  • Jfo88
    22669 posts Club Captain
    Extremely bad today balls just bouncing off my players completely unplayable here is the trace
    5xtx0j.jpg
  • RassemArsenal
    116 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    guys i bought an xbox one and started playing UT on it. and i swear all that nonsense i used to get on the ps4 has gone away. so much smoother, everything is playing out so nicely. played 41 games even when i have 2 bars connection (which is rare) the game is smooth. i think the ps4 cd and the console has some problem. but finally after 8months i get to enjoy UT.
  • killaree
    975 posts Semi-Pro
    The problem of lag is a big one and affects the gameplay massively. I dont suffer from it too much but when I do the game becomes a nightmare to play. Button presses registering too late, directions all off. You have no confidence in your controller so you start holding the button down too long meaning passes dont go where they should, tackles are missed and shots well off target.

I find I usually get it during peak times(Im in UK) like 9-11 pm. There could be a huge amount of factors causing this. The main one for me being exchange overload. I live in an apartment tower so when internet usage is quite high, thats when I feel I get the most lag. It makes sense. The exchange prioritises certain traffic. I get around this the best I can by using a wired connection, doesnt eliminate it but definitely makes it better to use.

Sometimes I think its an overload on the EA servers, which I dont really understand as the game is P2P meaning you shouldnt be connected to the EA servers during the game. Dont think we understand a lot about the connections and information exchanges during games. Do we communicate with EA servers during games?

I do think theres an element of lag compensation in there, penalising the person with a better connection - the home team is always the one with a better connection and hosts the match - when you're the away team generally the game feels smoother for you as the game intentionally lags your opponent. Sometimes you can really feel this extra smoothness, most times its negligible. Im home team about 50% of the time so not really a big advantage to me.

People say that a server based connection would be better. I aint so sure. Might be better for a some, not for all. All I know is Im lucky enough not to be horribly affected by this. If I was, I couldnt play the game.

@Aias87 its strange that you go though long periods of laggy gameplay followed by long periods of good. Could it be your ISP throttling your connection for whatever reason?