• WryLucky
    4336 posts National Call-Up
    God I hate seeing Mount on the wing
  • Stlducks
    6205 posts Big Money Move
    Pietu wrote: »
    Stlducks wrote: »
    It's just a glorified friendly though, result and the line-up shouldn't matter in a friendly
    The last how many friendlies he has played a very defensive lineup. You would think with all these friendlies, Southgate would test new lineups or formations to see what players fit and what formations work best. If he plays defensively in 90% of the friendlies, do you think he's suddenly going to play attacking when the games count?

Who knows. Don't think so but he still could. Looking at your results, it has worked though and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Let's say you win the Euros with your current style, would you still say it's a problem that you play defensively?

I’m not an England fan, I just follow Spurs players but I do not see England beating top teams in a row playing this way. 3 goals in 4 games against mostly average opponents is not a good sign.
  • WryLucky
    Why are Walker, Dier and Pickford in this team
  • Pietu
    9060 posts League Winner
    It's just a glorified friendly though, result and the line-up shouldn't matter in a friendly
    The last how many friendlies he has played a very defensive lineup. You would think with all these friendlies, Southgate would test new lineups or formations to see what players fit and what formations work best. If he plays defensively in 90% of the friendlies, do you think he's suddenly going to play attacking when the games count?

Who knows. Don't think so but he still could. Looking at your results, it has worked though and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Let's say you win the Euros with your current style, would you still say it's a problem that you play defensively?

I’m not an England fan, I just follow Spurs players but I do not see England beating top teams in a row playing this way. 3 goals in 4 games against mostly average opponents is not a good sign.

I don't either but crazier things have happened.
  • WryLucky
    England have made my mind up, time to watch something else. I'll leave it on in the background.
  • Farlz
    9534 posts League Winner
    So why did Southgate move Mount back out wide where he's nowhere near as useful just to play Hendo and Rice in the middle

deary me
  • AaronMFC
    2195 posts Fans' Favourite
    That wasnt a foul but we're getting what we deserve for the negative formation again.
  • BondJame5Collins
    2716 posts Fans' Favourite
    Well, that was like watching Artetas Arsenal.
  • Farlz
    9534 posts League Winner
    Jack Grealish is England's best footballer by a million miles tbh
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    I didn't expect to ever see Sancho playing RWB, but Southgate has done it tonight 🤦
  • WryLucky
    I'm sick of these dead teams Southgate is coming up with
  • AaronMFC
    5 games in the nations league 3 goals 2 of which were dubious pens the other a deflected fluke. Hodgson was gone after humiliation v Iceland losing on Wednesday to the same opposition is a small price to pay if Southgate goes.
  • Shshj
    7585 posts League Winner

We won't win the Euros while playing in this style, we won't be close.

While the World Cup was a fantastic experience, we lost to the only two top intentional teams we faced in Belgium and Croatia. We were poor at the Nations League finals last year and so far 2020 has been pretty dismal, it feels like the England of old again.

I can see what Southgate is doing, our defensive options aren't great and he's trying to compensate by using a negative system. However it's boring, limits our attacking players and it doesn't even work against better teams. He needs to change or he'll be gone.
  • AaronMFC
    Is it just me that thinks theres barely a good international side this is a golden chance outside France i dont think theres one team that is that scary. Low is ruining Germany, Spain arent that impressive atm. Belgium arent anything special either they scored a deflection and a free kick from a nothing foul tonight after being awful at Wembley as well. If we have a manager with some tactical nous we could win the Euros next year.
  • Ahmer50x
    29040 posts Player of the Year
    Maybe its just me but it feels like you have so much offensive firepower that you could win the euros if someone just set you up really well. Someone like Sean Dyche would get you close to winning it IMO
  • WryLucky
    edited November 2020
    Assuming everyone was fit I would like to see something like this just once.

Anyone but Pickford
    Reece/Trent - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell
    Mount - Rice - Grealish
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

That midfield isn't that different to how we're set up with Mount, Kante and Havertz. No reason it couldn't work.
  • AaronMFC
    WryLucky wrote: »
    Assuming everyone was fit I would like to see something like this just once.

Anyone but Pickford
    Reece/Trent - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell
    Mount - Rice - Grealish
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

That midfield isn't that different to how we're set up with Mount, Kante and Havertz. No reason it couldn't work.

Yeah that looks much better personally prefer henderson to rice and depending on form wouldnt mind maddison/mount and maybe rashford on one of the wings but importantly this back 3 has to be scrapped and put down as a failure. Its not even like the full backs are more attacking with it.
  • arsenalap
    9635 posts League Winner
    Pope
    TAA - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell
    Henderson - Rice - Grealish
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

Is our best XI for now imo. Rice is the weak link there for me, would be nice to have someone who can control games a bit more in that position, but at least it should free up the full backs to attack a fair bit.
  • Ashy
    14685 posts Has That Special Something
    edited November 2020
    Keeper spot is up for grabs but with Hendo hardly playing and Pickford being awful Pope is the favourite

Right back we have so many good options it's what kind of right back we want, an attacking one like Trent, a defensive one like AWB or mix like James

Left back Chilwell is the standout favourite, unless we play a 3ATB I would say Saka deserves the spot but let's see how he looks at the end of the season

Centre backs I'm just not sure, Keane, Mings, Gomez, Maguire, Coady nobody is that good from that selection

Defensive minded midfielders Hendo is the standard, a leader we need in the midfield, partner him with either Rice or Kalvin Phillips whoever looks good at the end of the season

Attacking minded midfielder had to be Grealish, other shouts are Maddison, Foden and Mount but they are a level below Jack.

Wide players you have Sancho, Sterling who I expect to start but if Rashford is looking good at the end of the season if consider him over one of the two above.

Kane up front for sure, good back up options available like DLC and Ings too.

4ATB I'd go

Pope
    Trent - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell
    Hendo - Phillips - Grealish
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

3ATB I'd go

Pope
    AWB - Maguire - Gomez
    Trent - Hendo - Phillips - Saka
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

23 man squad would be

Pope, Hendo, Pickford
    Trent, AWB, Gomez, Maguire, Keane, Mings, Coady, Chilwell, Saka
    Hendo, Phillips, Rice, Ward-Prowse Grealish, Mount
    Sancho, Kane, Sterling, Rashford, DCL
  • Tornado31619
    27153 posts Player of the Year
    edited December 2020

Ik this is for international footie but I’ve posted it now lol
  • Ahmer50x
    29040 posts Player of the Year
  • Stlducks
    Smart choice by him.
  • G000ner
    6358 posts Big Money Move
    What are we thinking about our best 11/squad now?

I'd go for something like this maybe
    Kane
    Saka-Grealish-Sancho
    Mount-Rice
    Shaw-Maguire-Stones-James
    Pope

DCL
    Rashford-Foden-Sterling
    Henderson-JWP
    Chilwell-Mings-White-Walker
    Henderson

• El_Nino
    7807 posts League Winner
    edited March 9
    G000ner wrote: »

Kane
    Saka-Grealish-Sancho
    Mount-Rice
    Pope

DCL
    Rashford-Foden-Sterling
    Henderson-JWP
    Henderson

Saka over Sterling/Rashford is a touch bias imo, he’s a phenomenal talent, but at his age Rashford and Sterling are still better players.

Henderson > Rice for the time being too, although it’s difficult to properly assess Henderson with how Liverpool have played.

Chilwell vs Shaw is one of the closest, you’d have to go Shaw on form atm, the fact Chelsea switched to 3ATB and therefor rotate Chilwell and Alonso isn’t helping Chilwells chances, although I still feel he’s the better player(though admittedly the bias I accused you of could be factoring in here 😂)

Others than that I’d say you’ve done a good job with those teams, better than Southgate will inevitably do.
  • Pxul_
    10646 posts Has That Special Something
    I’d play something like this imo:

Pope
    Walker Stones Gomez Shaw
    Henderson Rice Grealish
    Sancho Kane Rashford

I’d also change Gomez if he’s not fit for Maguire eventhough I think he’s ❤️❤️❤️❤️.
  • G000ner
    6358 posts Big Money Move
    El_Nino wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »

Kane
    Saka-Grealish-Sancho
    Mount-Rice
    Pope

DCL
    Rashford-Foden-Sterling
    Henderson-JWP
    Henderson

Saka over Sterling/Rashford is a touch bias imo, he’s a phenomenal talent, but at his age Rashford and Sterling are still better players.

Henderson > Rice for the time being too, although it’s difficult to properly assess Henderson with how Liverpool have played.

Chilwell vs Shaw is one of the closest, you’d have to go Shaw on form atm, the fact Chelsea switched to 3ATB and therefor rotate Chilwell and Alonso isn’t helping Chilwells chances, although I still feel he’s the better player(though admittedly the bias I accused you of could be factoring in here 😂)

Others than that I’d say you’ve done a good job with those teams, better than Southgate will inevitably do.

Don't think Sterling should be starting based on this season's form, we have a number of wingers that's played much better than him. Rashford is a good player with good numbers, but I prefer smarter, technical players. I'd sooner play Grealish on the left and Foden as the #10 tbh. That's just the way that I'd set us up, but I know I'm biased and Saka won't start. Foden probably won't either, but would be a mistake not to use them in some capacity given their talent and influence in games.

I think you have to start Rice though. I think Rice would work better as a DM alongside Mount and has been too good this season to leave out of the 11. Henderson also is injured so we'll have to see when and how he returns from his injury. And yeah Chilwell and Shaw was 50/50 really, Shaw just edges it on form, but could change by the end of the season.
  • arsenalap
    9635 posts League Winner
    edited March 9
    I'd like:
    Pope
    AWB - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
    Rice
    Mount - Grealish
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

Henderson
    TAA - Keane - Mings - Chilwell
    Henderson
    Maddison - Foden
    Saka - DCL - Rashford

Pickford, Walker, Dier, Konsa, Tomori could all have a shot too. Bold players could all start ahead of their counterparts.

I think that is too attacking though, no way Southgate goes with that. Chances are Maddison drops out for someone more defensively minded and Mount is benched for Henderson. Also, Pickford will likely start as Pope and Henderson are lacking experience internationally probably.
  • Stlducks
    The last few games England have played a 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that again.

Henderson
    Walker Stones Maguire
    James Mount Rice Shaw
    Sancho Grealish
    Kane
  • Pxul_
    10646 posts Has That Special Something
    That team just looks ❤️❤️❤️❤️ on paper tbh, we either need to play 4231 or 433 IMO. Rice and Henderson both need to start in midfield aswell for it to work.
  • Tornado31619
    27153 posts Player of the Year
    Rashford-Kane-Sancho
    Grealish-Rice-Mount
    Shaw-Tomori-Stones-AWB
    Pope

Don’t like Sterling.