Age vs skills?

Leprous69
60 posts Park Captain
Hello, I'm a 48 year old man that rediscovered fifa one year ago, after playing from the nineties till 2006. However, I seem to block at division 4 and gold 3. My wife who is always supporting, told me that I'm too old for that 🎃🎃🎃🎃 and will never be playing div 1 :) as my fingers are too old to beat those 12 year kids. I was wondering what age you have and what division you re in? Is it possible to get to div2 or 1 at our age?

Comments

• Jamieshore22
    1481 posts Play-Off Hero
    42 and div 4 and g2/3!
  • rmoxon
    3276 posts National Call-Up
    edited February 21
    I’m 38 in Div 1.

I guess I should expect a decline in a few years time then. :D
  • 34, Div 3 & no WL.

I do purposefully stay here though, I can't be bothered with the stress of WL or being in D1/2. Age defo plays a factor in a game like this, especially with how much the meta changes yearly, I don't think it's so much reactions, just us old uns get stuck playing FIFA how we used to.
  • Jamieshore22
    1481 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think so yes but you’d need to improve a fair bit. Learn a few skills etc
  • NucksNation
    4318 posts National Call-Up
    33 and Div 3, G3-G2.. I think I will be playing Ike you till I can.. I’ve had all fifa since 1994..
  • slavin77
    374 posts Sunday League Hero
    44 and division 2 usually gold3
  • 42 div 1. Suck at WL but get the odd gold 2
  • 52, keep going from div 4 to 5 and back again so I guess that’s my level, no WL this year I prefer to just chill and do objectives at a weekend
  • Jdizzle
    2824 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited February 21
    Yeah you probably can, fifa isn't really a game where you need immense hand eye co-ordination or quick fingers. The thing is there are people on here who are probably a lot younger than you and can't get to division 1, so natural ability also comes into play.

It will also take you longer to learn the meta though as you get older.
  • Lukaku9
    584 posts An Exciting Prospect
    42 div 2 g2 i cant do skills i have to pass round teams. If i could do skills it would be a huge game changer. Also dont know if its a age think but i dont like to exploit the game mechanics parking the bus etc
  • Rico
    93 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    40, my biggest challenge spart from skills is I refuse to buy the same old players, I come up against Neymar and mbappe all the time and they spam skills and through balls and I have no idea how to defend it so just lose. I'd still rather have my 80 pace icon and just accept defeats.
  • Cosmic99
    633 posts An Exciting Prospect
    47 and playing for fun not to be Uber competitive. Can do a couple of skills but mainly pass to open up defences. Probably haven't got the same reaction times as the kids but who cares.
    I also don't play the weekend league I leave that to those that care about red rewards or the eSports heroes/wannabes
  • Endlesswar1985
    259 posts Sunday League Hero
    38 div 1 and in Wl +/- 18 wins
  • MIG40970
    685 posts An Exciting Prospect
    51, Gold 3, Div5 (drop down to 6 2-3 times, but went back before Thursday). Very limited skills, basing my play on passing and switching sides. Wife supports me :) only if I'm not ranting about the AI in SB.
  • 45 and div 1. First time since 15 been that high though. WL normally 17 wins.
  • Andyh60
    1866 posts Play-Off Hero
    Grandad44 wrote: »
    52, keep going from div 4 to 5 and back again so I guess that’s my level, no WL this year I prefer to just chill and do objectives at a weekend

Glad this age group plays total respect
  • All4fun1991
    2352 posts Fans' Favourite
    Is nice to see that there are people around my age that still enjoy the game of FIFA.. 38 yrs old and still jump from Div 4 to 5 and my WL finish usually gold 3 or silver 1....None skiller and definitely consider myself casual player.
  • Bags
    1894 posts Play-Off Hero
    Grandad44 wrote: »
    52, keep going from div 4 to 5 and back again so I guess that’s my level, no WL this year I prefer to just chill and do objectives at a weekend

haha I'm 52 and bounce between 4 and 5 too. I too can't be bothered with WL :smiley:

I read a scientific article a couple of years ago which talked about why video games are a young mans business - when it comes to competitive at least. It was focusing on Fortnite and why all the best players are teenagers and to do with reaction speed. Not sure the delay fest that is fifa has anthing to do with reactions though
  • Gogs
    688 posts An Exciting Prospect
    36, division 2,Gold 2-3. I will play games until i die🤣
  • JustusX
    3334 posts National Call-Up
    42, don’t use skills. Given up on WL for the moment but div5 in rivals.
  • Wyojasond
    17353 posts World Class
    37. Div 3 & 4. Came one point away from going up to div 2 a few weeks ago but then the dippers put me in my place 😂

Like a few others have said I don’t skill and would rather make a random team as opposed to using the meta players. I know I’m pretty average and while I still have the occasional rage fit every now and then with the game it passes pretty quick 🤷‍♂️
  • Gibiati
    509 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Jdizzle wrote: »
    Yeah you probably can, fifa isn't really a game where you need immense hand eye co-ordination or quick fingers.

Honestly, playing fifa at a high level and executing skill moves correctly and competently in the flow of the game is among the crazier hand eye coordination required in gaming online today. Being young is obviously an advantage regarding this.

But really, what game isn't this true for?? Almost all online games are dominated by younger gamers except the slowest ones like MMORPGs and a few others that don't reward reflexes too highly. FPS are dominated by younger gamers, fighting games are dominated by younger gamers, racing games, they all give a great advantage to sharper and quicker reaction times and reflexes. These games are overwhelmingly dominated by the 18-30 crowd for a reason,
  • Gibiati
    edited February 21
    Growler wrote: »
    42 div 1. Suck at WL but get the odd gold 2

I honestly can't fathom how someone good enough for division 1 can't finish elite every single weekend league. I'm gold 2/gold 1/elite 3 every week and I can't even get out of division 3. Makes literally no sense to me, even most D2 I've played are really good, but every single D1 I've played is borderline crazy good.

I'm not calling you out, just confused. Promoting to D1 is like 200x harder than getting elite 3 in a weekend league
  • Destin8or
    5199 posts Big Money Move
    43 here, Div 2 — G1 or E3 WL.
    Definitely not much of a skiller, you brain needs to be firing alot faster for that I think lol.
    I do my best to lay traps in att and def, most tend to fall into them over and over again.
  • Gibiati
    Destin8or wrote: »
    43 here, Div 2 — G1 or E3 WL.
    Definitely not much of a skiller, you brain needs to be firing alot faster for that I think lol.
    I do my best to lay traps in att and def, most tend to fall into them over and over again.

Yup. Thats whats good about the game is you only really need a few signature tricks or skills you lean on and you only need to use them at the right time. You don't have to spam anything to consistently win scoring chances. But obviously the folk who can think faster and use skills more often and keep reacting to good plays you make on defense and dancing around you to eventually make space are the real pros.
  • sparky692005
    566 posts An Exciting Prospect
    This is my fist season on the FUT, I’m 41. I play for challenges, I spend no real money to get these superstars. But I qualified for my first WL, at div 5. Currently 10-8 in WL. But as I said, my team is ok.
    And there appears to be a common theme.....old people equals more passing and less skill moves...🤣
  • Roobar
    1423 posts Play-Off Hero
    34 and Div 1 and Elite 2/3 but already gets harder to keep up even now I can't spam skills moves so I can imagine it ramps up every year.
  • Boysie91
    13805 posts World Class
    30 soon div 1 all 21 and stop at G3
  • Dead_Dave
    1477 posts Play-Off Hero
    51 div 2 gold 2 if i can be bothered not to shabby for the elderly.
  • 4dvz
    975 posts Professional
    edited February 21
    Leprous69 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm a 48 year old man that rediscovered fifa one year ago, after playing from the nineties till 2006. However, I seem to block at division 4 and gold 3. My wife who is always supporting, told me that I'm too old for that ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and will never be playing div 1 :) as my fingers are too old to beat those 12 year kids. I was wondering what age you have and what division you re in? Is it possible to get to div2 or 1 at our age?

Dont ever let your believe in your own abilities drop, thats what affects your game not your age. This game though is completely different than older fifas. You cant play the way that used to work out back then.