End of the Road?

Comments

• Tylercftla
    505 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I’ve only gotten back I to it in 19. Played for years before. Time constraints only had me playing the storyline. Never did UT. Last year I got sucked into the rat race of building a god like team. This year it’s not as fun but still have fun playing most days. I could care less about losses as long as I’m learning.
  • IraqBruin
    1621 posts Play-Off Hero
    I am old as well, I do not normally have the time to build muscle memory even one that happens to people my age but the lockdown meant less time spent going to / coming from work , waking up at 6 to be on time, getting home 630 to be with your family, dinner then bed time. That used to work with a COD where your built muscle memory, map memory and game mechanics stayed with you, everyone has access to the same weapons and your success depended on how you set up what is available to everyone.

The problem with FUT is not the pay2win aspect that people talk about, it is the pay2get new META after the initial release and it is a thing when we are talking about your skill equals (not better skilled players), I do not get the better players until 4-6 weeks after a lot of people have worked our how/where to use them already, that happens through the virtue of spending more time playing/trading/FP-ing.

The game is set up to make you feel down about your team, your opponent in October got the top players everywhere while you're lucky to have 1, 2, or 4 of them at a time, even equally skilled players will beat you to make you feel that you need the better players to match your skill-equals (and I am talking your real skill level, not the one you imagine and think you are at, just in case someone wondered).

By the time you get few mid to high 80s without needing packs, opponents will have multiple low 90s players, by the time you get one of them low 90 players, opponents probably will have 7-8 and an Icon, by the time you get an Icon and a special card, opponents will be at full Christmas tree team and beyond. Early access to much better players gives you a much better chance to defeat your skill equals, I am not even mentioning boosting your confidence and allowing you to focus on improving through experience while deflating your opponent into thinking that 1-They do not know how to play, 2-Do not know how to set up their team roles and instructions , 3- do not have the players to match you and finally 4- do not have the networking degree to combat the button delay worsening connection infestation.

In the end, if you are comfortable with the few hours to fun you can gain from this game without over-thinking your skills, your players, and your connection then your age and skills are what they are and you can live with them. Once you think you can not compete and get frustrated you have choices, take a break, spend more time practicing with intentional ignorance of your frustration, and finally find another game to move on with.

Moral of the story, Pack luck means FPs do not help you, playing and trading can give you access to players that your opponents seem to readily have and might mitigate some of the frustrations but in the end, hope for a vaccination so you can go out back to normal life schedule, you would not even think about playing this game anymore :smile:
  • Kouli06
    1662 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited February 14
    The thing is each mode of Fifa seems to feel completely different in game play.
    I don’t understand how as it is all one game on the same engine.
    Career mode this year around is very good. Very solid play where as UT just feels childish and Arcady.
    Ultimately you know it’s just a way for EA to pander to kids and their parents credit cards.
    I would almost prefer UT to be a separate free mode like warzone just jammed with micro transactions and leave the main game back to its roots.
  • Andyrfc20
    42 posts Park Captain
    Theres no doubt that there has been some excellent additions to fut over the years ie sbcs and objectives... Its just ea's handling of them that leaves a bitter taste, the way that they just constantly mess up the pricing of sbcs this year is honestly disgusting... I was looking at the onjectives tab last night, there is so much potential but they have been so lazy with it, ie the team objectives have been terrible... Milestones dont get updated for weeks and months etc...

What im struggling most with is before xmas i was on xbox, was in div 2 comfortably, regular g3 in wl, record 50/50 give or take, now on ps5 im struggling in div 4/5, wl there i won 2 out of 10 games.. Its just baffling how overnight ive became terrible lol
  • BielsaIsGod1
    285 posts Sunday League Hero
    Scowy wrote: »
    Uninstall the game, I did yesterday and it feels good. My first fifa since 17, I won't be making the mistake of buying it next year.

No more grinding for better players that are actually no better then your average golds.

No more watching bell ends do pointless skill from kickoff.

No more watching kante jocky infront of his flat back (one depth) 7.

No more Mendy - Varane

No more hate messages telling me how bad or lucky I am.

Just listed all my players and fodder at starting price. Should raise around 3m for my brother.

You've absolutely nailed it mate 😂
  • Deme11
    27 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Hi all, i am 39 and i've been playing fut since 2010. I stopped playing fifa in 2018 for 3 years because the game took so much of my time - especially weekends (fut champions were 40 games!!!).
    However i returned this year for fifa 21 and i've been playing every day! i was trying to hit elite 3 but now i go up to 14 wins and i stop!
    I love playing football games even if its fifa!!
  • Springveldt
    5827 posts Big Money Move
    JWNYsg wrote: »
    The think about FUT is you need to devote time to play it

I may not also participate once life gets back to normal and we don’t have to be indoors all the time

Yip, of you don’t grind you’ll ultimately fall behind the curve, any other game you could just pick it up, play it and be competitive. EA want an addicted player base and they sure have it
    I think EA even out the team advantage a lot of the time with their garbage connection. I've lost loads of games to full NIF rare teams despite having a pretty stacked team. At my ability level (1600 SR) my connection and the help I receive from the AI overrides the team imho.

I've played FUT religiously from FIFA 14 to 19, skipped 20 as I'd become a bit "disillusioned" by the way EA run the game. Came back this year and try not to take it as seriously as EA aren't going to change until either the player base or government regulations step in. We know the player base doesn't want change, they love getting shafted by EA at every promo but still come back for more.
  • Scowy
    55 posts Park Captain
    I'm 37 and I quit this FIFA in November. I didn't buy FIFA 20 until April last year then got addicted again. It's nothing to do with age in my opinion, It's just as the FIFA editions have come along the more EA have added features (intended or a result of bad servers) that massively influence the outcome of games. It's all about user engagement and reducing the skill gap to keep people playing. The overpowered skill moves that disable your ability to tackle, the drop back ultra defensive setting, the way it seems easier to score in the 45th minute or 90th minute, kick off goals, unrealistic splits of the team for counter attacks or just your whole button inputs not registering and having no chance of beating someone who is a lot worse than you.

I don't care about people having better teams or having to grind for cards, or a crazy amount of promotions. I just want a fair experience and we don't get that as all that matters is making money. The life and fun of competitive gaming been sucked out of FIFA by greed and it sucks.

Hear, Hear!
  • Andyrfc20
    42 posts Park Captain
    I'm 37 and I quit this FIFA in November. I didn't buy FIFA 20 until April last year then got addicted again. It's nothing to do with age in my opinion, It's just as the FIFA editions have come along the more EA have added features (intended or a result of bad servers) that massively influence the outcome of games. It's all about user engagement and reducing the skill gap to keep people playing. The overpowered skill moves that disable your ability to tackle, the drop back ultra defensive setting, the way it seems easier to score in the 45th minute or 90th minute, kick off goals, unrealistic splits of the team for counter attacks or just your whole button inputs not registering and having no chance of beating someone who is a lot worse than you.

I don't care about people having better teams or having to grind for cards, or a crazy amount of promotions. I just want a fair experience and we don't get that as all that matters is making money. The life and fun of competitive gaming been sucked out of FIFA by greed and it sucks.

Very well put mate
  • danielallen1410
    569 posts An Exciting Prospect

I think today I’ve come to the end of the line with it.

To start with I loved it.

I could score low driven shots
    Finesse shots
    Near post shots
    Headers

I could speed past defenders with a stepover or elastico, I manually defended so could tackle people.

Patch one, they took away manual defending and you had to control you cdm, they nerfed the elastico.

The next few patches they nerfed the step over

Now passing has been off ever since the last patch, I’ve tested it on squad battles and watched instant replay every time I misplace a pass and you clearly see the arrow pointing in the opposite direction so the “assistance” has misplaced the pass

Now when I play I’m delaying myself because I darent play a quick pass as I no longer trust the game.

I’ve adapted my game, I’ve learnt not to use stepovers etc, but now my quick one touch passing no longer works there is literally no enjoyment for me. It’s ruined.
  • Ben_Cheddar
    148 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The path they’re going down with untradeable packs for SBC’s/disgustingly overpriced player SBC’s is completely tragic. This mode used to be fun and accessible, now you either have to grind 12 hours a day or spend actual real world money. The funny thing is they probably think these changes will bring more casuals in, but it’s the opposite.

I haven’t played WL since about week 5 now, have never touched squad battles and play about 3 games of rivals a week at a push, it’s just not fun

The sad thing is there is just no challenger to FIFA. Pro ev is fun in small doses but the lack of licences and game modes let it down. Only other football fix you can get is Football Manager but that’s a completely different type of game and not something you can play for an hour or 2 in the evening to relax

Ultimate team was fun and playable until this FUT economist showed up, now it’s just a dead duck
  • libertao
    1336 posts Professional
    edited February 15
    Late 30s here and still having fun with the game. Had a big period after undergrad where I didn’t play video games at all because single player did nothing for me. Now that I can compete against others, I really enjoy playing again (took me a while to give online gaming a try). I’m not someone that gets fussed about losing a game, so having it not go my way doesn’t suck all the fun out of it. More often than not, I can see what I should have done to achieve a better result. G2/G3 weekends are enough to keep me happy.

I'm in the same boat as everything you wrote...except for the bolded part if I'm being honest with myself 😂. Not that it keeps me up at night, but I do like to win.
  • Good i found this thread and knowing i’m not alone. I'm 44 and started fut in april last year. Most of the time i really enjoyed the competition and the grind. To be honest without corona, i would have never started fut because it costs too much time. That was the reason why i didn't bought fifa 21 at the beginning. I keeped playing fut20 until end of november but then i missed the competition and the grind. Also a friend of mine was telling me how good the gameplay was, in addtion no more fitness cards and the grind in friendlies were nice changes. So i bought it and builded up a really nice team. I had fun in rivals and also with the grind in friendlies. First time in fut i was knocking at divsion 1 (SR 1875) before the latest patch. With my age and my way to play (only one here maybe who playes with vertical view) i was really satisfied with my results and team. I had the feeling i can compete and so i started my first wl in fut21 one week ago. It was the first online game after the patch and it was horrible. No enjoyment at all, hardest sweat fest, random passing, spamming through balls, players slow like a turtle. Then i changed my formation to 532 to get things under control (without knowing its the new meta) and stopped at gold3. I tried to play rivals during wl too but it was the same random pass/game generator. It’s really frustrating to spend hours in grinding and to achieve a certain skill level and team when all is worthless after such a bad patch. Maybe i should take a break, sell all tradeable players and wait for a better patch.
  • IxToMxI
    7612 posts League Winner
    It’s the youtubers I hate, people that desperate to win they copy, copy and more copying.

The game has all the tools to enable really different games, time after time, tons of players, unique cards all in their own way OP and custom tactics allowing for your own unique play style.

It’s YouTube and a crappy community that leads to this although even COD is rife with similar issues everyone uses the same 2-3 weapons, with the same attachments with connection playing a huge advantage in dying or not the difference being you can overlook it more as you usually play cod with mates over headset so it’s still an enjoyable experience
  • I SiR MartY I
    6957 posts Big Money Move
    Honestly, I was gonna do a whole essay on how older games were just as bad for exploits but I really can't bring myself to vent about the game.

Its trash, FIFA has always been about exploits but you could do your own thing around it, now its play the meta or lose, its boring.

Sick of bridges, sick of shot blocks over and over, sick of rainbows, high pressure, one guy on drop back while controlling 1 DM, sick of all of it.
  • JWNYsg wrote: »

I may not also participate once life gets back to normal and we don’t have to be indoors all the time

Yip, of you don’t grind you’ll ultimately fall behind the curve, any other game you could just pick it up, play it and be competitive. EA want an addicted player base and they sure have it
    I think EA even out the team advantage a lot of the time with their garbage connection. I've lost loads of games to full NIF rare teams despite having a pretty stacked team. At my ability level (1600 SR) my connection and the help I receive from the AI overrides the team imho.

I've played FUT religiously from FIFA 14 to 19, skipped 20 as I'd become a bit "disillusioned" by the way EA run the game. Came back this year and try not to take it as seriously as EA aren't going to change until either the player base or government regulations step in. We know the player base doesn't want change, they love getting shafted by EA at every promo but still come back for more.

I don’t agree with the first part at all. Since I got a good tram, I’ve only lost to teams that are all gold once or twice and they were very good players. Having a really good team makes a ton of difference. You finish shots you wouldn’t normally and a player like Kante can completely change your midfield, let alone a Gullit or other icons.
  • BeardedBerk
    1646 posts Play-Off Hero
    36 and played fifa right from the very first edition . Quit playing the November of Fifa 19 but still hover around the forums just for that 0.01% of hope EA actually sort the servers out and make a playable game but when you see they make £1.49B from morons buying points why would they change anything. Just think how much they would make if the game was decent.

Fifa 17 was the last acceptable game for me with Fifa 15 the last time i actually had fun and felt i had full control of my players , Fifa 16 being the first i started with delay.

Its hard enough having to grind daily to get a decent team to compete with the ones who seem to be on it 24/7 either trading like mad or buying points like they are going out of fashion (Hopefully they do) as it can be draining playing a few games let alone 10+ day in day out .... Add the one sided delay to it and it becomes just painful to even start up the game. Always said no problem losing a fair game where connection is equal regardless of the teams being used but throw that one sided delay my way like 98% of the games from F16-F19 then it becomes pointless to the point i finally said enough's enough.

Its that bad when i recently installed SWOS on my series X because Fifa is a shambles and PES is just too slow to enjoy that i'm enjoying a football game other than Football manager
  • JTID
    86 posts Park Captain
    I’ve got to a stage now where my brain I feel tired playing three games at a high level with the constant micromanagement of the players, constant right stick switching, multiple skill moves and need to beat players a few times to either make space or find room for a shot in the box.

I’m mid-30’s too. I preferred previous football games where it was more down to tactics, decision making, basic understanding of the game engine and a bit down to reflexes.
  • danielallen1410
    569 posts An Exciting Prospect
    JTID wrote: »
    I’ve got to a stage now where my brain I feel tired playing three games at a high level with the constant micromanagement of the players, constant right stick switching, multiple skill moves and need to beat players a few times to either make space or find room for a shot in the box.

I’m mid-30’s too. I preferred previous football games where it was more down to tactics, decision making, basic understanding of the game engine and a bit down to reflexes.

I’ve played a few games of rivals this afternoon and my heads spinning. (Around 1900 skill), just can’t focus properly on it.
  • freddfranca
    1470 posts Play-Off Hero
    I am considering leave all behind too. I was without play WL since October, this week I decided to give a go. And in the 30 games, at least 25 was the same ❤️❤️❤️❤️. Same teams, same playstyle, people playing like basketball, dribbling back and turning in the middle of the field, looks like they never watched a football game in the life. I always say that I rather lose than play like this way, but sometimes it’s so stressful, you play better all the game, and then Kante makes one impossible intercept, send a trough ball that go all over the field and Rashford runs to the byline, just to start dribbling like a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and pass it back to someone in the front of the goal. And repeat this game after game....
  • Springveldt
    5827 posts Big Money Move
    JWNYsg wrote: »

I don’t agree with the first part at all. Since I got a good tram, I’ve only lost to teams that are all gold once or twice and they were very good players. Having a really good team makes a ton of difference. You finish shots you wouldn’t normally and a player like Kante can completely change your midfield, let alone a Gullit or other icons.
    If you play Rivals against someone at your own skill level who has a standard NIF gold sweat squad like Varane, Gomez, Walker, Mendy, Kante etc and also give them a connection advantage then I'm betting on them winning every time, regardless of your team. When their defenders can turn faster than your attackers, when every shot they take goes in, when your passes go the wrong way, when your AI "goes to sleep" and doesn't help out at all while his are flying at the ball then if you can overcome that every time then you are at the wrong skill level.
    36 and played fifa right from the very first edition . Quit playing the November of Fifa 19 but still hover around the forums just for that 0.01% of hope EA actually sort the servers out and make a playable game but when you see they make £1.49B from morons buying points why would they change anything. Just think how much they would make if the game was decent.

Fifa 17 was the last acceptable game for me with Fifa 15 the last time i actually had fun and felt i had full control of my players , Fifa 16 being the first i started with delay.

Its hard enough having to grind daily to get a decent team to compete with the ones who seem to be on it 24/7 either trading like mad or buying points like they are going out of fashion (Hopefully they do) as it can be draining playing a few games let alone 10+ day in day out .... Add the one sided delay to it and it becomes just painful to even start up the game. Always said no problem losing a fair game where connection is equal regardless of the teams being used but throw that one sided delay my way like 98% of the games from F16-F19 then it becomes pointless to the point i finally said enough's enough.

Its that bad when i recently installed SWOS on my series X because Fifa is a shambles and PES is just too slow to enjoy that i'm enjoying a football game other than Football manager
    Brilliant post, sums up my feelings and I've been getting the same problems as you for the same length of time. I quit during 19, skipped 20 and came back this year. Nothing much has changed except I'm getting better game play more often that I was in 19. It seems like 50-50 now or maybe even 60-40 in my favour while in 19 it felt like 90% of my games were the crappy ice skating, AI asleep mode games.

• I do think age is a factor though I accept im speculating. I know skills aren't exclusively used by younger players but I'd hazard a guess it is a younger generation that spams them to death. Bad connection whilst frustrating I can deal with as the next day it can be fine. The ultra defensive 532 that is suddenly popular I have no issue with, yeh sure it can be very boring but it's down to me to be patient and break if down.
    What ruins this game for me more than anything? The player. I'm not saying the game doesn't have plenty of flaws but for me its my fellow player that ruins it. The mbappe and neymar up front kind of player who spends the entire game spamming skills constantly, hoping for that glitch. Rather than actually playing football it's just constant skill spam and its tedious, it is boring, for me if makes the game not resemble football at all.
    I'm not saying skills shouldn't be in the game, used sparingly and at the right times they can be brilliant and credit to the player that does it BUT how many players do we come across where its constant, just all the time. That to me isnt a skill gap it's just some idiot who doesn't want to play football but glitch there way to a win.
    They have ruined it for me even with the nerfs.

If there was some way to play a certain age demographic I honestly think id enjoy the game a lot more.
  • PlacidCasual77
    88 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    For some of us of a certain vintage, peak-PES will never be rivalled. I think disappointment partially stems from subconscious knowledge that Fifa has never, and will never, be as much fun as PES4/5. That, coupled with the diminishing returns of this game, just bring into sharp focus that no matter how many WL gold finishes we have, we’re really just wasting our lives!!
  • Foxsake
    3447 posts National Call-Up
    In the same bout mid 30s my first fifa was 95 international soccer
    Could head butt the ref or players and run away from him 😂
    Fifa died when custom tactics and you tubers went on about who is the best etc. Meta this n that. Also skill based match making is my main reason to not enjoy it.
    Definitely my last fifa.