End of the Road?

Andyrfc20
42 posts Park Captain
As a fifa player of a certain age (mid 30s) this very well could be my last year of ultimate team... Its just not enjoyable... Fifa should be pretty simple 2 teams playing and most of the time the best team winning... Fifa in its current state is about who can abuse the meta tactics the most... The amount of basic coding errors in this game is ridiculous, the gameplay on ps5 is some of the worst ive ever encountered in any game...there is literally no midfield in the game... I enjoy doing the upgrade sbcs, etc however its an absolute chore playing games... Im by no means the best cod player but its enjoyable the majority of the time... Is it just me or do others of my age and experience of fifa feel like its the end of an era... If only we could turn back time and the scrawny wee you tube wannabes were still being breastfed...

Comments

• Mmandras
    6269 posts Big Money Move
    If only we could turn back time and the scrawny wee you tube wannabes were still being breastfed...

You mean this?

• ImAtrocious
    2957 posts National Call-Up
    Late 30s here and still having fun with the game. Had a big period after undergrad where I didn’t play video games at all because single player did nothing for me. Now that I can compete against others, I really enjoy playing again (took me a while to give online gaming a try). I’m not someone that gets fussed about losing a game, so having it not go my way doesn’t suck all the fun out of it. More often than not, I can see what I should have done to achieve a better result. G2/G3 weekends are enough to keep me happy.
  • Eddieww
    522 posts An Exciting Prospect
    In the same boat entirely.

Thinking about it, I think the moment EA started going down the eSports route was when my experience of the game started getting worse and worse.
  • Mill1
    450 posts An Exciting Prospect
    To add to it. Lost about 13 games on the bounce now. Back down to division 4 where all the self relegating morons are so im likely to lose even more on the bounce.

Game is no longer for those who actually enjoy football.
  • Wolves37
    323 posts Sunday League Hero
    Agree with all of the above
  • Hopeful_but_nah
    248 posts Sunday League Hero
    Agree. The gameplay making players faster or slower and your skills being nerfed or godly are just too dodgy to be ultimately enjoyable. As long as they have all the young addicts giving them money, and no competition, they won’t change anything.
  • Ronaldo
    4171 posts National Call-Up
    Mmandras wrote: »
    If only we could turn back time and the scrawny wee you tube wannabes were still being breastfed...

You mean this?

Those were the times. I remember doing Rabona flicks with a young R9
  • Neal1982
    1248 posts Professional
    Totally agree, this is my last rodeo, after getting divorced it was a great release now it is not.
    I just want a game that’s fair and not affected by all kinds of BS which is out of my control
  • Fergvsfood
    452 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yup games a broken mess, sold up all my high rated players and am playing with what is pretty much a week one team.
    Guess what . Results are the same.
    I won't be buying 22 I can promise that.
  • RichT
    684 posts Semi-Pro
    52 years of age and occasionally enjoy the game when I'm playing someone similar level. Don't even mind if I lose as long as they don't try to exploit the game. They are always lucky when I lose though (I'm my head).

I started online half way through FIFA 20 and floated between division 9 and 10. But this season I'm I'm so close to division 5. Whilst I know it's not super high level, is an achievement for me.

I just wish they could have a 25 plus league, because I'm fairly sure it's mostly the youngsters that try to score kick off goals every time and try to exploit everything to win.

• Avit32
    1220 posts Professional
    I feel the same gents. I can still compete but if I take a break it takes me longer to get back into it.
  • 49 here and feeling the same. Was away from Fifa for few years until tried again last august. Seemed fun but fun is pretty much over. What bugs me the most is that you build a beautiful squad and it plays wonderfully, for a while. Then it just falls apart and nothing works like it did at first. If a squad is good, it should remain good. And since I have a brain, I know that some opponents are just better at the game. I also know it's not always about the opponent. In the beginning my players move like they should and move a lot. Then they just stop moving or if they move, they move behind opponent's players and are unavailable for a pass. I'm sure cards have an expiration date.

I just want consistency to all this.

Tinfoil off.
  • Andyrfc20
    42 posts Park Captain
    Thanks for the replies guys... I can toddle of off in to retirement knowing im not the only one 😂
  • Just play to enjoy. WL doesn't matter on your team you will finish the same spot. Last year was first fifa in 20 years I didn't buy. Only came back as Xmas savings was lowest I've ever seen which probably says it all. I'm rocking a novelty team and still getting same WL results as I did for 3 years with a massive team. Still see some BS, but more often or not enjoying more than I use to cause I'm not expecting to win all the day as just having fun. First few WL I got hammered first few games but then you mainly play the players like yourself and then still pop up in gold, win the majority of your early games and then play alot more sweat feasts. Even in rivals losing doesn't phase me now as the more you lose the more likely you will play decent games.
  • JWNYsg
    7006 posts Big Money Move
    The think about FUT is you need to devote time to play it

I may not also participate once life gets back to normal and we don’t have to be indoors all the time
  • Scowy
    55 posts Park Captain
    Uninstall the game, I did yesterday and it feels good. My first fifa since 17, I won't be making the mistake of buying it next year.

No more grinding for better players that are actually no better then your average golds.

No more watching bell ends do pointless skill from kickoff.

No more watching kante jocky infront of his flat back (one depth) 7.

No more Mendy - Varane

No more hate messages telling me how bad or lucky I am.

Just listed all my players and fodder at starting price. Should raise around 3m for my brother.

• Fergvsfood
    452 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm dam near 50 now and to me the whole ultimate team concept is infact a fraud.
    The game is sold on building your ultimate team, better players , better results you would assume.
    The fact is, its not the case.
    So we are basically buying or upgrading just skins.
    Unlike say Apex Legends where any skins I've purchased since day one I can still use and enjoy, in Fut you lose them at the end of each season.
    Sure you can play fifa 18 , but no one else will be.
    Gotta hand it to EA you sure know how to fool us.
  • Mark78
    298 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited February 2021
    With the pack weight being so bad this year I don't think I could be bothered to grind all those games again next year just to pack nothing and not be able to build my'ulimate team', so this could well be my last fifa. Game play is really bad as well.
  • Baddest_cubza_1
    3305 posts National Call-Up
    Fergvsfood wrote: »
    I'm dam near 50 now and to me the whole ultimate team concept is infact a fraud.
    The game is sold on building your ultimate team, better players , better results you would assume.
    The fact is, its not the case.
    So we are basically buying or upgrading just skins.
    Unlike say Apex Legends where any skins I've purchased since day one I can still use and enjoy, in Fut you lose them at the end of each season.
    Sure you can play fifa 18 , but no one else will be.
    Gotta hand it to EA you sure know how to fool us.

Great point re ‘skins’
  • Baddest_cubza_1
    3305 posts National Call-Up
    JWNYsg wrote: »
    The think about FUT is you need to devote time to play it

I may not also participate once life gets back to normal and we don’t have to be indoors all the time

Yip, of you don’t grind you’ll ultimately fall behind the curve, any other game you could just pick it up, play it and be competitive. EA want an addicted player base and they sure have it
  • DanishDynamiteUS
    1933 posts Fans' Favourite
    The time requirement is the big issue here. In a non-COVID situation I’d have much more work travel etc. and would never have enough time to play FUT. This is exactly why I didn’t play FUT for the last many years before resuming last year.

This round will be the last for me as well 👍🏻
  • Seanregal
    1946 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited February 2021
    I prefer Motownphilly.
  • Scowy
    55 posts Park Captain
    Mark78 wrote: »
    With the pack weight being so bad this year I don't think I could be bothered to grind all those games again next year just to pack nothing and not be able to build my'ulimate team', so this could well be my last fifa. Game play is really bad as well.

Thing is I played about 250 games. Never used my coins to buy packs or fp. Ive been extremely lucky with reward packs and sbc packs.

I've 2.5m and good untradeables (headliner Hernandez, 86 Lozarno, freeze Chiellini, Rooney, 85 Essien, Champs Cancelo and sbc Dybala, Allison, Varane and sbc Bolasie the best picks. But....

With all those decent players I just don't play any better then I do with a crappy cheap gold team.
  • Burchy
    1792 posts Play-Off Hero
    I just feel bored of FUT...

It’s just become stale. Games are always against people who just sit back and park the bus waiting to smash the ball up top to a fast ST, then score and proceeded to celebrate like it’s a World Cup final!

I sometimes get the odd game where the opponent wants to play and I enjoy that. If I lose then I really don’t mind.

Like others have said tho, your players really don’t matter. If you have CR7 gold card or TOTY version you will still get the same results. Some games they are unstoppable and others you don’t notice them on the pitch.

EA have taken FUT into a direction that supplies them with endless cash. Seems the actual game play comes second in the list of priorities. Which is a shame for us who have played all these years.

You can’t blame EA tho, 1 Fifa game a year that’s a copy of the previous with a few tweaks generating this amount of money every year is a perfect business.
  • lippyone
    2599 posts Fans' Favourite
    Maybe you are just growing up?

I mean when people get older tastes change, generally people like pop music less, prefer more cerebral computer games etc. It is just part of the aging process.

Thirties is also the time your reactions slow a little so you will struggle to keep up with the kids. Do not blame the game, just see it as a maturation process where you move on to things more suitable for someone in your age group