I know FIFA has it's faults but actually how much is user generated.

YouKnowMe
670 posts An Exciting Prospect
Hear me out.

I know I am one of the worst people for shouting at the game "That pass is so wrong, how did you under hit that"... sound familiar to anyone?

The reason why I got thinking is a friend asked me to watch him play some rivals games to prove that the game was against him and that the new team he had was broken.

So we are in a PS party together and he is talking me through as he is playing...

When I watched him play and he started reeling off the issues.... "he should of got to that! "that's not where I passed", "I pressed the BUTTON AND NOTHING HAPPENED AHHHHHH"

It was only then that I realised how unrealistic some of his expectations were in terms of what the players could do and what should happen in that situation

The worst thing is.... I heard myself and my constant gripes.

Prime example, he has the ball on the outside of the area trying to play out and varane is facing the goal. He then attempts a 180 degree spinning blind pass up the field (granted he knew where he wanted to play it) but it was poorly hit unsurprisingly and led to another opponent attack.

he was adamant that there was unseen forces at work but in reality that pass should never work.

Same with trying to pass when not in full control of the ball and blaming button delay.

Look don't get me wrong I am not trying to start a war or any sort of conversation on anything that may or may not be in the game. I am simply saying that actually it gave me an education.

Do you ever look back at your replays after a game and thing damn actually why did I attempt that?

Comments

• Bakudu76
    3122 posts National Call-Up
    Yes. And yes its mostly my fault when i lose.
    Like 99.9 percent of the times i make the mistale or have bad decision making or just not good enough reflexes.
    0.1 is when rngeesus fails me.
  • tommyboyo
    4221 posts National Call-Up
    Some excellent points OP.
  • Downthewing85
    898 posts Professional
    Iv been thinking that for years, unfortunately fifa is the one game where everyone thinks they are amazing .
    I know some like that , I get videos proving fifa is against him but when I see I'm like if took 1 touch more to face the guy you were passing 2 🤦‍♂️.
    I hate game blaming .
    Its 1 thing hitting the post at 2 -1 down
  • sneaky77
    763 posts Semi-Pro
    edited January 2021
    I think it's both, of course requires skill to win, but there's some underlying engine issues and ai logic that's just lacking, I'll agree that some people complain about impossible things that should never ever work
  • Chavez76
    9804 posts League Winner
    Fully agree OP.
    People have a tendency to not accept their own faults, and only look at part of the problem (I really do the same).
    It's no that one pass that failed, its not that one shot, its the entire game that you should look at.
  • djnition
    1565 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 2021
    Im a firm believer in the majority of issues we have with the game is due to the toxic community that just want the rewards and will play in the scummiest of ways to do that even if the game becomes unenjoyable until this changes the game will not improve
  • grogans_heroes
    2494 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm onboard with this theory as I have caught myself making the mistakes I would just be willing to blame the game for. Muscle memory can work against you, especially when you start "controlling" another players movements before you actually pass the ball from the guy you are currently controlling. And perhaps I am pointing the joystick in a direction I'm not intending when my defensive switches don't work. The game has so many mechanics and "calculations" it does that there is no way to know them all. I do challenge, however, when a through ball intended to the wing goes down the middle to a player clearly offsides or when my goalie passes the ball straight to a defender who has an opponent in front of them when both defenders on the wing are unmarked...
  • BigH82
    943 posts Professional
    djnition wrote: »
    Im a firm believer in the majority of issues we have with the game is due to the toxic community that just want the rewards and will play in the scummiest of ways to do that even if the game becomes unenjoyable until this changes the game will not improve

This plus EA do love to occasional like to slip everyone a length
  • swfcfan89
    1364 posts Professional
    edited January 2021
    Most people just can't accept they aren't as good at the game as they think they are. Once they get their head out of their arse they might enjoy the game a lot more.
  • YouKnowMe
    Thanks for the positive comments chaps.

I played a few games today in rivals and recorded one of them where I thought that everything was going wrong .

Sent a few work emails (gotta pretend to work) and then rewatched (not fully - i am not that sad) with a cuppa and actually could see the mistakes I was making before I was making them,

Its given me a different outlook and definitely think it will make me a little more considered in my approach, easy to say though when your not fighting for your life in WL against a drop back team in 80th minute though.
  • MIG40970
    811 posts Semi-Pro
    Fully agree too. I caught myself thinking how the connection became poor when I lost 3:4 after I was 3:0 but then start wondering whas the opponent's connection poor before?
  • Magicman52uk
    64 posts Park Captain
    This post has been far more reasonably accepted than I expected. Very disappointing from an entertainment point of view. A proper anti-climax.

I have played more online games in the last 10 days than in the last 10 years, and I am quite happy to acknowledge that I often enter short phases of panic. And when you're panicked or angry you start rushing and aren't fully in control of intricate touches and then things like passes will go astray.

Although for a full gauge of the community's response to this theory i suggest you bump this at the weekend when all the crazies come on to cry about how its never their fault.
  • YouKnowMe
    This post has been far more reasonably accepted than I expected. Very disappointing from an entertainment point of view. A proper anti-climax.

I have played more online games in the last 10 days than in the last 10 years, and I am quite happy to acknowledge that I often enter short phases of panic. And when you're panicked or angry you start rushing and aren't fully in control of intricate touches and then things like passes will go astray.

Although for a full gauge of the community's response to this theory i suggest you bump this at the weekend when all the crazies come on to cry about how its never their fault.

Hahahahaha some people just want to see the world burn clearly!

I would never dare post this with the weekend crazys with their fresh forum accounts full of rage and wearing Tin Hats.
  • YabaDaba
    19 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, I also watched the replay of my games and suddenly realized that I was pushing this magic button which was making my passes go slower, my players feeling like running in the mud. All the time I was thinking that it is about EA servers , actually it was this magic button I was pressing without knowing. Silly me! I will load up 500k fifa points to show my gratitude to EA which made this amazing online play that has no delay whatsoever
  • I think as long as you accept that fifa logic can be both for and against you, it's fine to complain. Because hell, there's a lot wrong, and a lot more wrong 'op' 'meta' 'bs' wise than back in the good ol' days of fifa 09 to 13.

When players randomly can't run, AI goes to sleep, no attacking AI runs are made for you... it's incredibly obvious and I really don't get how people who play for years don't see or feel that. Just make sure to acknowledge that this gameplay logic/engine will happen for and against you.
  • RTG20
    1743 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think as long as you accept that fifa logic can be both for and against you, it's fine to complain. Because hell, there's a lot wrong, and a lot more wrong 'op' 'meta' 'bs' wise than back in the good ol' days of fifa 09 to 13.

When players randomly can't run, AI goes to sleep, no attacking AI runs are made for you... it's incredibly obvious and I really don't get how people who play for years don't see or feel that. Just make sure to acknowledge that this gameplay logic/engine will happen for and against you.

rose tinted glasses

games engine was a joke back then, so arcadey
  • RTG20 wrote: »
    I think as long as you accept that fifa logic can be both for and against you, it's fine to complain. Because hell, there's a lot wrong, and a lot more wrong 'op' 'meta' 'bs' wise than back in the good ol' days of fifa 09 to 13.

rose tinted glasses

It was much more fun mate. Still fifa bs and clearly less realistic in places, but I would argue the engine on all ps4 titles has never been as enjoyable for a a plethora of reasons.

I'm 27 now and 09-13 were the glory days, but i've dipped in and out in the last 7 years and I think Fifa 17 (maybe?) was the only one that felt rewarding. Winning or losing doesn't have as much ownership as it used to.
  • JGDC74
    1388 posts Professional
    Truth is, like with other games, no matter how good or bad it is there will always be a load of people complaining. So when they do release a genuinely bad game they tend to ignore the criticism. And this game is genuinely bad.
  • RTG20
    1743 posts Play-Off Hero
    RTG20 wrote: »

rose tinted glasses

It was much more fun mate. Still fifa bs and clearly less realistic in places, but I would argue the engine on all ps4 titles has never been as enjoyable for a a plethora of reasons.

I'm 27 now and 09-13 were the glory days, but i've dipped in and out in the last 7 years and I think Fifa 17 (maybe?) was the only one that felt rewarding. Winning or losing doesn't have as much ownership as it used to.

you know why it was more fun?

less stress/pressure to win cause no rivals/champs

the people you were playing were likely WELL below your skill level

it wasn't as common knowledge about how to exploit the game as well (twitch/youtube not a thing or as big)

people weren't taking it as serious, see all of the above

less meta players again due to less people spending money/time trading

the chem/formation swapping thing resulted in less meta squads again

the game was unbelievably arcadey, ridiculously easy to score in and yeah

you could have similar fun if you chose to not play in objective modes, but people go into champs/rivals then whinge about varane/mendy, like what is actually wrong with these people, they go to the competitive mode and complain people are taking the competitive option, it's MADNESS
  • Brydobhoy88
    369 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yeah ive played fifa for 24 for years but sometimes I “forget” how much pace and direction to put on a pass or switch of play 😂