End of an era Rooney

Comments

• KING_HENKE
    1235 posts Professional
    Boysie91 wrote: »
    KING_HENKE wrote: »
    GTaylor wrote: »
    Peaked in 2004, never quite fulfilled his potential, now manages an awful football team.

Never quite fulfilled his potential? Won everything possible at club level and on many occasions carried a national team full of superstars.

Think he did alright really.

Sort of his point though. He was never considered comparable to Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldinho et al, even though he was gifted with undoubtedly similar levels of talent.

Never came close to winning a single thing internationally and never proved himself outside of one league. Even in that league he was rarely thee stand out talent. Ronaldo of course eclipsing him during his Premier League stint, and Rooney only appearing to be top dog in the league for a very short period after he left to Madrid.

Sorry but Rooney was the best player in the Manchester United team imo. Not saying Rooney is better than CR7 overall but Rooney was when at Manchester United.
    Paul might come close to Rooney

If that was really the case, I rather think Madrid would have taken him and not Cristiano.
  • GTaylor
    1098 posts Professional
    Peaked in 2004, never quite fulfilled his potential, now manages an awful football team.

Never quite fulfilled his potential? Won everything possible at club level and on many occasions carried a national team full of superstars.

Sort of his point though. He was never considered comparable to Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldinho et al, even though he was gifted with undoubtedly similar levels of talent.

Never came close to winning a single thing internationally and never proved himself outside of one league. Even in that league he was rarely thee stand out talent. Ronaldo of course eclipsing him during his Premier League stint, and Rooney only appearing to be top dog in the league for a very short period after he left to Madrid.

Sorry but Rooney was the best player in the Manchester United team imo. Not saying Rooney is better than CR7 overall but Rooney was when at Manchester United.

Paul as in Scholes or Pogba? Because there are absolute levels between the 2....
  • Diddymow
    5802 posts Big Money Move
    It's easy to forget how good Rooney was on his prime, seriously go back and watch some of his highlights and you'll see how World class he was. Never quite lived up to the hype for England but was amazing for United.
  • Drachenfells
    1924 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ronaldo was younger and cheaper, even a £80 million transfer was cheaper than Rooney would have cost, Remember Alex Ferguson valued him at over 100 million and would not let him go for less, at the time he said he was irreplaceable, he said it to stop teams even putting a bid in and it worked, Madrid were not going to waste time trying to get a player that would be nearly impossible to get.

Ronaldo has shown he has more natural talent, but Rooney was the heart of the team, when the team started to lose belief he was the one who would refuse to give up and in turn boosted his teammates moral, you can't easily replace that, a lot of teams don't have a player that, my team Newcastle United have no one with that ability.

I don't support Man Utd, I don't even like them before anyone says I'm a fan talking rubbish.
  • GTaylor
    1098 posts Professional
    Diddymow wrote: »
    It's easy to forget how good Rooney was on his prime, seriously go back and watch some of his highlights and you'll see how World class he was. Never quite lived up to the hype for England but was amazing for United.

At his best he was world class and unplayable no doubt, however he had as much talent as Messi and Cr7 but was never close to their league.
  • HulkSmashPotato
    1460 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 2021

Paul as in Scholes or Pogba? Because there are absolute levels between the 2....

Paul Parker
  • KING_HENKE
    1235 posts Professional
    No one’s saying he wasn’t incredible. Just saying he was so incredible, that it’s a shame he never reached the levels he was so obviously capable of. Should’ve been right there with CR7 and Messi (who are still the best on earth), but unfortunately while those two are still above everyone on the planet, Wayne seen his days out in America and The Championship. His star didn’t burn as bright or as long as it should have, given his talent.
  • RayS
    36655 posts World Cup Winner
    A glance at his best FUT cards since the beginning

in-Collage-20210115-122924975.jpg
  • RayS
    His FB that last two years were really nice cards. Probably used his FB in 19 more
  • Noo
    1944 posts Fans' Favourite
    Wow. Some of the comments in this thread are astounding.

Rooney was a very very good player. Nothing wrong with that. He suffered from overhyped expectations and "white Pele" comments.

Gifted with excellent ability but not dedicated or professional enough to reach his full potential as a player.

Nowhere near as gifted as CR7, Messi. Laughable suggestion.
  • Shire_7
    449 posts Sunday League Hero
    RayS wrote: »
    His FB that last two years were really nice cards. Probably used his FB in 19 more

I remember that 92 gold card from fifa 10! Unreal but it doesn't half make me feel old! 😂
  • RayS
    RayS wrote: »
    A glance at his best FUT cards since the beginning

in-Collage-20210115-122924975.jpg

Imo if they release an EoaE card, it should match his highest rated card. Ill take a 95 rated Rooney :)
  • Prettyfly
    877 posts Professional
    Can’t see them not doing one in all honesty considering he has been a popular player on ultimate team for many years
  • Seanregal
    1946 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 2021
    I feel old :'( i remember watching him in the youth cup against Villa in 2002 and he was a beast for a 16 year old. Everyone was bigging him up even then, he was totally outshone by the Moore brothers who played for us. I thought at the time it would be them going on to make it big. I was sorely mistaken.
  • Prettyfly
    877 posts Professional
    How soon usually do end of an era cards come out after the players announcement?? Is there a rough time pattern?
  • limjitwe
    10027 posts Has That Special Something
    EA seems quite stingy with very high rated cards. Likely he will be 89-91. Just look at FB Robben.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    15952 posts World Class
    People saying Rooney never fulfilled his potential 😂😂😂🤣🤣

Give over. Won EVERYTHING at club level. Ended Manchester Utd & England's top all time goalscorer. Just sounds like anti Utd folk dribbling this nonsense...

Get some pepper with all that salt
  • Prettyfly
    877 posts Professional
    limjitwe wrote: »
    EA seems quite stingy with very high rated cards. Likely he will be 89-91. Just look at FB Robben.
    I think people will be happy with that as long as the card is useable and sensibly priced

• Torminator
    1771 posts Play-Off Hero

Give over. Won EVERYTHING at club level. Ended Manchester Utd & England's top all time goalscorer. Just sounds like anti Utd folk dribbling this nonsense...

Maybe it is because i am not from the UK, but i truly feel he could have gotten more out of his talent. I dont rate him as an ‘icon’ personally. But could be that for me he was under the radar more. He is less of an icon as lampard or gerrard or giggs for me. (Obviously more an icon than owen)
  • Jdizzle
    2995 posts National Call-Up
    Rooney was better than CR7, i've heard it all now....
  • Mmandras
    6269 posts Big Money Move
    I'm almost sure he will get flashback at least this year too, at some point.

• Kennyy
    10371 posts Has That Special Something
    Guvnor wrote: »

You either don’t watch football or are about 12, cause he is arguably England’s greatest ever player. And I’m a Liverpool fan.

He was truly world class.

Was World Class in 2004, did pretty well after that but never reached the potential he could have done. Should've scored far more for England. Not close to England's greatest player. You are either 12 or don't watch football. I'm a Forest Fan 😘

What would he need to have done to hit potential?

- He won it all.
    -England’s record scorer
    -United record scorer
  • Freefolk
    1619 posts Play-Off Hero
    Even as a Liverpool fan I can’t deny I enjoyed watching Rooney play, fantastic talent
  • GTaylor
    1098 posts Professional
    Kennyy wrote: »

You either don’t watch football or are about 12, cause he is arguably England’s greatest ever player. And I’m a Liverpool fan.

Was World Class in 2004, did pretty well after that but never reached the potential he could have done. Should've scored far more for England. Not close to England's greatest player. You are either 12 or don't watch football. I'm a Forest Fan 😘

- He won it all.
    -England’s record scorer
    -United record scorer

Should've been in the conversation for best player in the World for a decade. There's no denying he had a very very good career, just feel he should've been at the World Class level for far longer than he actually was. Trophies with your club don't always tell the whole story. His England record will be broken quite comfortably by Kane.
  • Kennyy

- He won it all.
    -England’s record scorer
    -United record scorer

Should've been in the conversation for best player in the World for a decade. There's no denying he had a very very good career, just feel he should've been at the World Class level for far longer than he actually was. Trophies with your club don't always tell the whole story. His England record will be broken quite comfortably by Kane.

Owen was once quite comfortably going to break the England scoring record
  • GTaylor
    1098 posts Professional

- He won it all.
    -England’s record scorer
    -United record scorer

Owen was always made of biscuits.
  • Peewee916
    1232 posts Play-Off Hero
    Torminator wrote: »

Maybe it is because i am not from the UK, but i truly feel he could have gotten more out of his talent. I dont rate him as an ‘icon’ personally. But could be that for me he was under the radar more. He is less of an icon as lampard or gerrard or giggs for me. (Obviously more an icon than owen)

Also scored a goal at 16 for Everton in the Prem, don’t gotta be from the UK to know Rooney is a Man U & England Icon / Legend.
  • Peewee916
    1232 posts Play-Off Hero

- He won it all.
    -England’s record scorer
    -United record scorer

Ronaldinho was World class for 4-5 years wtf are you on about?
  • Kennyy

- He won it all.
    -England’s record scorer
    -United record scorer

Owen was always made of biscuits.

That he was, but by the age of 26 in 2005 he had 35 England goals, at that point you’d have said he was comfortably going to break the record.
  • Kennyy
    Jdizzle wrote: »
    Rooney was better than CR7, i've heard it all now....

Well he was at one point? At peak obviously not