The Football Thread: Champions League Is Back

Comments

• Dubbly
    2429 posts Fans' Favourite
    LeonidasJB wrote: »
    Shshj wrote: »
    @hoban95 what's your thoughts on Frank mate?

I'm really struggling to defend him personally. It's sad, and he did a marvelous job last season but I think it may be time to hand the reigns over to someone else.

Chelsea just lost to City. Not WBA or Sheffield Utd.
    This season is a bit all over the place atm, even Utd are 2nd!
    Teams win, lose, draw, win, draw, lose again. Nobody is being really consistent.
    He is still learning his trade.
    Personally Chelsea should employ Harry Redknapp or someone with a lot of experience to work with him for a year or 2.
    Help him build confidence in way to change tactics and change players, how to cope with situations that arise, etc.

In other words, Lampard should have taken a job as an assistant manager to start with. On that front, I agree. He jumped straight into the deep end.

Perhaps there might not have been a vacancy for him to avail of if Abramovich didn’t have a fetish for notoriously stubborn personalities like Conte and Sarri. You can call him impatient, but just this past summer Conte nearly walked from Inter. Managers like them are liabilities. Imagine Gerrard having already managed Liverpool for eighteen months because Klopp got the sack after a year (FSG deserve credit for their patience and Klopp for being easy to work with) and the likes of Ancelotti and Mourinho came and went throughout the interim. That’s why I think that Chelsea should prioritise Nagelsmann over Tuchel.

I think he should have spent a few more years learning the trade before taking the Chelsea job.
    Problem is when your dream job is offered to you, very hard to turn down and wait and hope it comes back round.

This is exactly it really.

You can’t blame him for taking it if it’s his dream job. There’s every chance he wouldn’t get another opportunity to do it.

Really, it’s up to Roman to decide if he was suitable enough for the job. It’s not Lampard’s fault Roman offered him the job :D
  • SupaNoodle1990
    32547 posts National Team Captain
    I always defend the manager but ❤️❤️❤️❤️ me it’s hard when it’s that walrus we’ve got.
  • Finesse_4days
    17866 posts World Class
    When do we reckon you all will be next going to a football match?
    I'm reckoning probably November OR December here in Derby. That's if I'm lucky I think.
  • LeonidasJB
    22147 posts Club Captain
    When do we reckon you all will be next going to a football match?
    I'm reckoning probably November OR December here in Derby. That's if I'm lucky I think.

Definitely not this season. Unless we do full lockdown and people actually follow the rules/restrictions, I doubt this year either!
    Decided not to send my son back to school.
  • Sercs
    22439 posts Club Captain
    Just bought too much rather than built on what he had. Doesn’t know his best 11, doesn’t know how to get the best from Havertz or Werner.

Both or at least Havertz screams Abramovich buy like Sheva was to me. Maybe to even one up Liverpool who were interested in both but wouldn’t pay the same money Chelsea offered.

He deserves more time, but Chelsea are successful in being harsh with managers and not letting teams slip, they get rid rather than give time which usually even giving time results in the same poor results bar a few exceptions
  • Alemas_2012
    25069 posts Player of the Year
    Basically what I thought when he got charged.
    The FA constituted a widely-accepted Uruguayan term as racist, which is discriminatory itself.
    Something that is "offensive in some contexts" implies it's "inoffensive in many contexts"... but obviously they are not capable of reaching that conclusion.
    As I said, you root out racism by banning those who do monkey chants and write actual racist abuse on social media.
    Not by suspending a player for using a friendly term that is completely harmless in his own country...
  • Pietu
    12360 posts Has That Special Something
    Shaanxz wrote: »

Go get them Uruguay! The English FA is a disgrace, they need to pay
  • RealM
    8676 posts League Winner
    Apparently David Alaba to Madrid is a done deal.
  • LFC Simon 98
    21715 posts Club Captain
    RealM wrote: »
    Apparently David Alaba to Madrid is a done deal.

Ramos > Arsenal

Here we go confirmed
  • Danic123
    4673 posts National Call-Up
    Henderson CB for LFC tonight. If we don’t sign a CB this window wave goodbye to the title.
  • Rb10119
    3604 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 2021
    Brandt any good? Never seen him play arsenal being linked
  • Tornado31619
    33461 posts National Team Captain
    Danic123 wrote: »
    Henderson CB for LFC tonight. If we don’t sign a CB this window wave goodbye to the title.

Your finishing has been the problem of late. You’ve been producing 0-0s, not 3-3s.
  • LFC Simon 98
    21715 posts Club Captain

Your finishing has been the problem of late. You’ve been producing 0-0s, not 3-3s.

Newcastle was the first game this season we failed to score in. So no.

We’ve had score draws with Everton, West Brom, Fulham and Brighton, all of whom got goals from set pieces. Last year we had the lowest conceded goals from set pieces. VVD and Matip were 2 of the top 3 aerial win rates in the league.

Playing midfielders who can’t head the ball at CB really is the problem.
  • Dubbly

lolwut. Our defence has actually been fairly solid this season, despite having to field so many different combinations, and having to rely on two CBs who had never played a senior game before this season.

We’ve dropped points this month because we’ve wasted so many chances to score and break other teams down.

We’re playing Henderson at CB because Klopp is expecting us to have a lot more of the ball in midfield, and we don’t have any passing range from CB with Williams or Nat. Honestly hate reactionary hot takes like this, like we can magically find a CB that’s going to solve all our problems instantly.
  • LeonidasJB
    22147 posts Club Captain
    GK pass glitch does not work in Draft!!
  • KingLionel10
    16478 posts World Class

Wrong thread pal
  • LeonidasJB
    22147 posts Club Captain

Wrong thread pal

Just realised that 🤣🤣🤣
  • LFC Simon 98
    21715 posts Club Captain
    Set piece goal conceded.

We need a CB
  • Tornado31619
    Hallelujah, schools shut and exams cancelled

Cheat :trollface:
  • Alemas_2012
    25069 posts Player of the Year
    Had to be him. :joy:
  • Dubbly
    Set piece goal conceded.

We need a CB

How would a CB stop that goal? :D

Trent tried to clear the ball with his nipple. What’s a CB doing there?
  • Tornado31619
    Get in Danny
  • Orison
    74478 posts Icon
    Liverpool's defense is as deep in the mud as ours.

But their attack is 10x worse so they can't always come back :trollface:
  • LFC Simon 98
    21715 posts Club Captain
    Dubbly wrote: »
    Set piece goal conceded.

We need a CB

Leading, being vocal, organising? All the things CB’s should do.

Dunno what else Trent could be doing tbf.
  • Dubbly
    Orison wrote: »
    Liverpool's defense is as deep in the mud as ours.

But their attack is 10x worse so they can't always come back :trollface:

wydm. Lewandowski wears Firmino underwear :trollface:
  • Tornado31619
    Set piece goal conceded.

We need a CB

Henderson and Fabinho aren’t CBs though :lol: although tbf Hendo’s your club captain
  • Orison
    74478 posts Icon
    Set piece goal conceded.

We need a CB

Sounds like you need a leader more than a CB.

Also if he got the timing of a gold fish there isn't much to organize. He was in the correct area (somewhat), hitting the ball isn't something a CB could help him with.
  • Tornado31619
    I mean they already have a leader on the pitch, van Dijk might be injured but they still have Hendo
  • Dubbly
    Set piece goal conceded.

We need a CB

Do you genuinely watch the games? From all of your posts on here it seems like you just read Twitter or something.

You’re saying Trent, the player responsible for marking their goalscorer and who misjudged the ball in, couldn’t do anything? The goal didn’t have anything to do with Henderson or Fabinho. You make it sound like CBs are a forcefield and should just never concede or something.