The Football Thread: Champions League Is Back

Comments

• Shaanxz
    24103 posts Club Captain
    I still dont know how I feel about Lampard as a manager. At derby mount and Wilson were a level above and helped him a lot.
  • Finesse_4days
    17866 posts World Class
    Shaanxz wrote: »
    I still dont know how I feel about Lampard as a manager. At derby mount and Wilson were a level above and helped him a lot.

Also forgetting that at Derby Tomori 2nd half of the season was one of the best defenders in the league and was also a premier league loan. His legacy at Derby has been very bad.
  • Xtrem3 Poptarts
    9596 posts League Winner
    3 points against Benevento please and thank you Milan

Made it harder than it had to be but we’ll take it

Hate how Inter are finding their rhythm and have no other competitions to worry about
  • Kennyy
    10693 posts Has That Special Something
    I don't get where the "Fat Frank" thing comes from.
    He doesn't look particularly out of shape. :D

GettyImages-1202070.jpg
  • Alemas_2012
    25147 posts Player of the Year
    Ah, I get it.
    Once a fatty, always a fatty.
    Like Higuain. :D
  • holdenwait
    80385 posts Icon
    edited January 2021
    3 points against Benevento please and thank you Milan

Made it harder than it had to be but we’ll take it

Hate how Inter are finding their rhythm and have no other competitions to worry about

makes it interesting for the neutrals, would love to see both Milan teams keep it up til spring at least to make it a proper race.
  • hoban95 wrote: »
    holdenwait wrote: »
    hoban95 wrote: »
    holdenwait wrote: »
    The defense is shocking, veteran Azpi at right back and Thiago Silva ain't it. And the Sarr signing situation is another lel

Silva has actually been one of our better players. Also if you bothered to watch us you’d realise Azpi is not a starter anymore and is playing due to injuries and fitness issues.

I mean sure slate us as we deserve it but do it with some knowledge :joy:

Ok mate, your defensive line up is totally awesome quality and depth wise. :D

I never said that. So that’s another thing you didn’t bother paying attention to.

have a Peroni and pipe down bud :kissing_heart: all I'm saying is you should've spent on some quality defenders too, rotation is tight and not exactly screams quality.
  • ccooaattssyy
    19195 posts World Class
    Kennyy wrote: »

GettyImages-1202070.jpg

He’s never been fat, guess it’s just by PL standards.
  • Kennyy

GettyImages-1202070.jpg

Yeah it’s just puppy fat.

If it wasn’t alliteration he’d never have been called fat :joy:
  • Kennyy wrote: »

GettyImages-1202070.jpg

Bingo.
  • Suarez has done it again. I really do feel he will be the difference between them winning the league title.

Inter since getting knocked out of Europe have been great. 8 wins in a row in serie A and so much better than the start of the season.

Milan are such an intriguing watch this season. That Leo goal...

Sancho did so well even though he was pretty much through. Redemption for a horrible sitter earlier.

When you’re team is ❤️❤️❤️❤️, least you got euro football...
  • Orison
    74666 posts Icon
    edited January 2021
    Suarez has done it again. I really do feel he will be the difference between them winning the league title.

Inter since getting knocked out of Europe have been great. 8 wins in a row in serie A and so much better than the start of the season.

Sancho did so well even though he was pretty much through. Redemption for a horrible sitter earlier.

We were down (atleast) a goal for the 8th time in a row btw
  • ccooaattssyy
    19195 posts World Class

GettyImages-1202070.jpg

Yeah it’s just puppy fat.

If it wasn’t alliteration he’d never have been called fat :joy:

THICC is preferred.
  • CeeQue
    15092 posts World Class
    Barça grinding wins, a few months ago we were near the bottomfull
  • Shshj
    13712 posts Has That Special Something
    @hoban95 what's your thoughts on Frank mate?

I'm really struggling to defend him personally. It's sad, and he did a marvelous job last season but I think it may be time to hand the reigns over to someone else.
  • Fab
    19737 posts Club Captain
    Saints Pool tomorrow who we thinking??
  • Tornado31619
    33547 posts National Team Captain
    0-0
  • Kennyy
    0-0

Who to?
  • LeonidasJB
    22178 posts Club Captain
    edited January 2021
    Shshj wrote: »

I'm really struggling to defend him personally. It's sad, and he did a marvelous job last season but I think it may be time to hand the reigns over to someone else.

Chelsea just lost to City. Not WBA or Sheffield Utd.
    This season is a bit all over the place atm, even Utd are 2nd!
    Teams win, lose, draw, win, draw, lose again. Nobody is being really consistent.
    He is still learning his trade.
    Personally Chelsea should employ Harry Redknapp or someone with a lot of experience to work with him for a year or 2.
    Help him build confidence in way to change tactics and change players, how to cope with situations that arise, etc.
  • Tornado31619
    33547 posts National Team Captain
    LeonidasJB wrote: »

Teams win, lose, draw, win, draw, lose again. Nobody is being really consistent.
    Personally Chelsea should employ Harry Redknapp or someone with a lot of experience to work with him for a year or 2.
    Help him build confidence in way to change tactics and change players, how to cope with situations that arise, etc.

In other words, Lampard should have taken a job as an assistant manager to start with. On that front, I agree. He jumped straight into the deep end.

Perhaps there might not have been a vacancy for him to avail of if Abramovich didn’t have a fetish for notoriously stubborn personalities like Conte and Sarri. You can call him impatient, but just this past summer Conte nearly walked from Inter. Managers like them are liabilities. Imagine Gerrard having already managed Liverpool for eighteen months because Klopp got the sack after a year (FSG deserve credit for their patience and Klopp for being easy to work with) and the likes of Ancelotti and Mourinho came and went throughout the interim. That’s why I think that Chelsea should prioritise Nagelsmann over Tuchel.
  • Shshj wrote: »

Never going to hear me say I want a manager sacked. Especially Lampard.
  • Maverick
    10355 posts Has That Special Something

OK I'll say it then. Lampard should be sacked :trollface:

Nah, I don't think that just yet. It's an interesting scenario to me. For the past couple of seasons, Chelsea would spend to bring these players in and underachieve while being accused of never giving youth a chance. Last season you're under the transfer ban, Frank comes in, youth is given the opportunity, and yous excel. Then it's determined that you need to bring in more talent to get over the hump so you splash the cash this past summer to bring in all this expensive talent. And now it's argued you're underachieving again. It's just an ironic sequence of events to me lol.

That's my perception at least. I'm speaking across the pond so what the hell do I know I suppose 🙃
  • Arsenalfan97
    9342 posts League Winner
    If your going to sack Lampard wait until the summer so you get a decent manager like nagelsmann don’t wanna rush and end up with a tuchel
  • Alemas_2012
    25147 posts Player of the Year
    Who'd even be available at this time?
    Names off the top of my head... Allegri, Tuchel, Favre... not many to choose from.
  • Dubbly
    2430 posts Fans' Favourite

Wow, a normal opinion on football. On the internet of all places. Never thought I’d see it.

People calling for Lampard to be sacked after a poor run of form in a season where the current league leaders have drawn 4 out of their last 5 games, madness.

I don’t think he’s that good of a manager (yet), he’s inexperienced and probably a bit out of his depth. But the Chelsea board knew this when they hired him. If they’re expecting him to suddenly just rock up to work and outschool Pep, Klopp and Jose on a weekly basis, then that’s on the board for having stupid expectations. Lampard needs to at least get 4th, if he doesn’t then he probably will be sacked. I think anyone expecting a lot more than that needs a knock on the head.

Lampard is a bit out of his depth yeah, but who of us here wouldn’t take a massive promotion at their current job if they were offered? If I was offered CEO of my current job then I’d snap their hands off :D

People need to stop having these dumb reactionary takes after a couple weeks of football. Football would be better for it. We moan when the same old managers get all the jobs, then meme Lampard for being too inexperienced. Pick a hill to die on.
  • RappSnitch
    6685 posts Big Money Move
    Curry still got it 🏀🔥
  • Finesse_4days
    17866 posts World Class
    edited January 2021
    I think Lampard will be sacked within 2 - 3 games if results and performances don't improve, can't argue with that tbf. At Chelsea you don't get time to be Mid Table or around 6-8th if you accept mediocrity you become an Arsenal stuck in Europa League playing very small teams on Thursday nights and that's if you have a good season. I think it's the crucial stage for him now, he has to turn it around now or be on his bike looking for a new job. I'm not convinced he's a good manager and I also think at Chelsea that's not a club where rookies should be given much time too risky for a team looking at winning league titles.
  • KingLionel10
    16485 posts World Class
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️ hear me every day say sack Steve Bruce, ❤️❤️❤️❤️ old fossil ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Orison wrote: »
    Suarez has done it again. I really do feel he will be the difference between them winning the league title.

We were down (atleast) a goal for the 8th time in a row btw

Oh i know. Quite incredible really.
  • LeonidasJB
    22178 posts Club Captain
    LeonidasJB wrote: »

In other words, Lampard should have taken a job as an assistant manager to start with. On that front, I agree. He jumped straight into the deep end.

Perhaps there might not have been a vacancy for him to avail of if Abramovich didn’t have a fetish for notoriously stubborn personalities like Conte and Sarri. You can call him impatient, but just this past summer Conte nearly walked from Inter. Managers like them are liabilities. Imagine Gerrard having already managed Liverpool for eighteen months because Klopp got the sack after a year (FSG deserve credit for their patience and Klopp for being easy to work with) and the likes of Ancelotti and Mourinho came and went throughout the interim. That’s why I think that Chelsea should prioritise Nagelsmann over Tuchel.

I think he should have spent a few more years learning the trade before taking the Chelsea job.
    Problem is when your dream job is offered to you, very hard to turn down and wait and hope it comes back round.