Do we even have defending in this game anymore?

Stinky123
87 posts Has Potential To Be Special
I'll start off by saying i'm not being a hate merchant for nothing i dont post often but i gotta raise this issue ive been having this last week or so...

This last week or so more than any other, im positive defending etc is getting worse! not sure if its delay, servers etc not sure maybe someone can give more an opinion on the potential reasons?

I know people have raised this point before but the defending in this game is actually becoming laughable.

whats the point in having tackling if either way the ball is just going to bounce back to my opponent and even if i win the ball when i try to play a simple pass out my defender will just pass it back to them?

i know there will be people who say "If YoU dOnT liKe ThE gAmE dOnt PlAy It".... i like FIFA, i want to play it, but its actually becoming a joke how much the game will force me to concede or give my opponent chances or just wont reward me for solid defending and reading my opponent.

Surely i cant be the only one that is noticing this more?

Comments

• zambrotta619
    399 posts Sunday League Hero
    Stinky123 wrote: »
    I'll start off by saying i'm not being a hate merchant for nothing i dont post often but i gotta raise this issue ive been having this last week or so...

This last week or so more than any other, im positive defending etc is getting worse! not sure if its delay, servers etc not sure maybe someone can give more an opinion on the potential reasons?

I know people have raised this point before but the defending in this game is actually becoming laughable.

whats the point in having tackling if either way the ball is just going to bounce back to my opponent and even if i win the ball when i try to play a simple pass out my defender will just pass it back to them?

i know there will be people who say "If YoU dOnT liKe ThE gAmE dOnt PlAy It".... i like FIFA, i want to play it, but its actually becoming a joke how much the game will force me to concede or give my opponent chances or just wont reward me for solid defending and reading my opponent.

Defending exists for people who don’t depend on the computer for everything.

You sure you like FIFA? Sounds like you lost a game or 2 and started to look for excuses.
  • LiquidLuck77
    310 posts Sunday League Hero
    Manual defending works for me
  • Fergvsfood
    523 posts An Exciting Prospect
    we all need to accept that we need at least 3 good takles to win the ball each time.
  • SuperRob
    2051 posts Fans' Favourite
    It sounds like delay. When you have delay your defenders will just stay still and the only time they will move is to allow an attackers to have a clear run on goal. The difference between good and bad gameplay is obvious. In good gameplay your ai will move players into position and you are then able to manually defend by sticking to your opponent like glue. In bad gameplay the defenders stand around and when you try and close an attacker down, there is almost like a forcefield around them that makes it hard to get close to them.
  • Diggy
    16190 posts World Class
    SuperRob wrote: »
    It sounds like delay. When you have delay your defenders will just stay still and the only time they will move is to allow an attackers to have a clear run on goal. The difference between good and bad gameplay is obvious. In good gameplay your ai will move players into position and you are then able to manually defend by sticking to your opponent like glue. In bad gameplay the defenders stand around and when you try and close an attacker down, there is almost like a forcefield around them that makes it hard to get close to them.

It’s this couldn’t have written it better myself
  • Stinky123

You sure you like FIFA? Sounds like you lost a game or 2 and started to look for excuses.

lmao
  • KSYM72
    1197 posts Professional
    Manual defending is fine when the connection is decent.....however the slightest delay means switching becomes a disaster and jockeying is like playing on ice.
  • Stinky123

"started to look for excuses" are you thick as pig sh*t? its been made very apparent that the defending this year is dreadful my point was only that for the last week or so it has felt worse, who said anything about winning or losing.
  • Stinky123
    KSYM72 wrote: »
    Manual defending is fine when the connection is decent.....however the slightest delay means switching becomes a disaster and jockeying is like playing on ice.

the gameplay inconsistency makes every game feel a little different with player responsiveness etc
  • BigH82
    1764 posts Play-Off Hero

Did you read this post before you replied? he’s not hating just asking

Just give the lad/lass some advise or a bit of positivity

Any chance....
  • oneskyworld
    2238 posts Fans' Favourite
    Fergvsfood wrote: »
    we all need to accept that we need at least 3 good takles to win the ball each time.

I just conceded a goal that my successful tackle in the opponent half miraculously resulted in the ball bounce floating directly to the opponent winger half court away.
  • Stinky123
    BigH82 wrote: »

Any chance....

thank you bro hahah
  • zambrotta619
    399 posts Sunday League Hero

Any chance....

Just tried to give him some hope, with talk about manual defending. Not entirely sure why you’d be asking me that when he got pretty personal in his response. To be expected though as that level of petulance is to be expected by the OP after losing a game or 2 lol
  • Stinky123

I just conceded a goal that my successful tackle in the opponent half miraculously resulted in the ball bounce floating directly to the opponent winger half court away.

It's crazy man, ive been on the benefitting side of stuff like that before where ive made a slide tackle in my half and the ball just goes straight to my attackers feet to start a quick counter unintentionally..
  • Stinky123

Any chance....

Just tried to give him some hope, with talk about manual defending. Not entirely sure why you’d be asking me that when he got pretty personal in his response. To be expected though as that level of petulance is to be expected by the OP after losing a game or 2 lol

Bro we're on the same team tho, manual defending is the only way it should be the AI blocks for an example are pathetic imo i feel like even when manually defending (depending on gameplay) even when making the correct decisions it always falls back to my opponent when im never relying on the computer... Thats what im saying? i feel the value of manual defending has depleted.
  • Fergvsfood
    523 posts An Exciting Prospect

Crazy how many times a "successful tackle" turns into the perfect through ball.
  • Growler
    908 posts Professional

😂😂😂😂 in my experience, it’s the opposite. Players that rely on ai defending actually get rewarded. Maybe elite players can get round this but I struggle, especially in bad gameplay. I manual defend and play aggressive tactics but come undone against low depth passive defenders who just sit deep, let the ai defend for them then hit on the break. Yeah sure I should probably change my game style a bit but I could never play like this just to get wins, boring AF. As someone has already stated, it’s not always about winning or losing. It’s the experience this game gives out, and I agree with the OP, more often than not, the experience for a lot of us is bad, weather we are winning or losing. Attacking and defending AI just doesn’t work in bad gameplay. It’s obvious in my games and I can normally tell what sort of game I am going to gave after a few mins.
  • oneskyworld
    2238 posts Fans' Favourite

It's crazy man, ive been on the benefitting side of stuff like that before where ive made a slide tackle in my half and the ball just goes straight to my attackers feet to start a quick counter unintentionally..

I have to admit that to i definitely had been benefited by these lucky bounces too. Of course, it's the ones that against you the most memorable ones.
  • Benja190782
    1948 posts Fans' Favourite

This is the main problem. Most people can track their opponent and cut passing lanes. It’s not that hard. What makes it hard is that EVEN tho you actually defend very well, you need atleast 2-3 attempts to actually get the ball. It will always go back to your opponent or out of play so he can start over.

Making the best defending. Not to defend. Look how hard it is to get the ball off an opponent that is not even playing.

It’s utterly broken like most other things in this pathetic game.
  • JpMaxwell
    202 posts Sunday League Hero
    Dont even listen to that zambrotta fool every post I've seen him on he’s been leaving smarmy snide comments, ignore him.
  • BigH82
    1764 posts Play-Off Hero

Any chance....

thank you bro hahah

No worries mate

FYI defending foes seem off this last couple of week which f

Any chance....

Whatever
  • Der Tooldoktor
    222 posts Sunday League Hero

There are several factors in the game that allow you to defend or not.
    - Does your opponent play the meta, which is 80% or more of the total players this year. This means playing 4231 with Neymar, Mbappe, potm Felix, Gomez, Varane, Icons etc.
    - Which defenders are you're using (assuming you've put shadow on all of them to get as close to 99 pace as possible).
    - Which defensive and attacking tactics are you using. If you set your defence on 3 whidth and 2 dept on drop back with your dm(s) sitting 1 yard of your cbs the whole game and just only go for counterattacks, you'll be hard to break down. Or if you're like me and have a more attacking style of play, you'll get that ❤️❤️❤️❤️ regardless, simply because your defence and midfield will be higher up the pitch, what leaves you with less players that are providing back up after a ball's bounced back to your opponent.
    - Knowing when you're better off pressing X i.o. B. In some occasions you're better off putting in a slide tackle, so the ball bounces away further and you often take the opponent out as well.

But most of the time there's nothing you can do about it... Conceded loads of goals where I tackled and intercepted my opponent 6 or 7 times and the ball just fell back to him every single time
  • JPRM71
    3713 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 2021
    SuperRob wrote: »

I concur, it’s all I ever experience.... I can see what’s going to happen, but I’m powerless to stop the attack. Game over man, game over.....
  • vjake
    1060 posts Professional
    Meh, it's all AI defending and constant auto blocks. Will always be like that too to cater for the kids that play and spend all their parents money on the game
  • PhilT1808
    484 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The annoying part for me is the response on player switching. When this works well, I can control the player I need to instantly and drag them into position. Particularly with cdms, this is crucial in staying solid. When it’s not responding quickly I tend to panic and drag the cbs out which leaves gaping holes at the back. I know it’s a mistake but there’s no other option sometimes.
  • For me I can read the play but sometimes it’s inevitable when the ball goes into the back of the net but I make at least 2 or 3 tackles before I get the ball
  • Gnomenclature
    8265 posts League Winner
    Just played a game where I had 22 shots on goal and lost 2-0. Got to the end of the match and it said my opponent only tackled twice... There were dozens of tackles, apparently all AI...
  • omar6
    222 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited January 2021
    it is a common psychological condition for some people who are taken advantage of to defend those who take advantage of them - there are always people who defend the undefensible - it is a sad part of the human condition
  • MurkingFools
    1787 posts Fans' Favourite
    everything about the game is broken and defending is no different

half the player base don't even select cb when you have the ball in there box

ai blocks are broken

tackling has rng in it so you never can be sure to get the ball on a perfect tackle

changing player is broken

team press is broken

and then there is always the cherry on top with delay lag and more delay
  • BFC CLARETTRICK
    1283 posts Professional
    everything about the game is broken and defending is no different

half the player base don't even select cb when you have the ball in there box

ai blocks are broken

tackling has rng in it so you never can be sure to get the ball on a perfect tackle

changing player is broken

team press is broken

and then there is always the cherry on top with delay lag and more delay

Everything is broken with fifa this game is also designed on randomness and to frustrate people and guess what it's working.

Move onto something else