No more Bale and Ibra TOTWs/Promo cards (Basically confirmed)

Comments

• TOMMYxCOOPER
    4153 posts National Call-Up
    bale will be paid off then his new name in fifa will be gareth bung :#
  • Mossup
    1385 posts Professional
    If it brings EA down a peg or two it can’t be a bad thing.
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    IraqBruin wrote: »
    Pieman25 wrote: »
    Ishibum wrote: »
    I think zlatan is doing the right thing. Imagine some1 using your image to make a pretty big profit. You would all be up in arms don't lie to yourself.

I generally agree with this but I cannot believe he isn't aware that his in game image rights are with FIFPro. If he goes down the legal route, it will probably be with them rather than EA.

I don't think his are, his were sold by Milan as far as I'm aware. If he wants to take legal action against his club good luck to him.

So how did EA get the image rights for Roma and Juve players ?

FIFPro
  • AHL
    470 posts An Exciting Prospect
    There are some bigger picture issues at work too. If we look at the accounts of the 3 publicly listed football clubs we can see that player wages are growing as a percentage of club revenues, which also include media rights from those same players. In a normal year, stadium ticket sales only account for 10% of total revenues. The percentage for smaller clubs will be much higher. But also in a normal year even the top clubs are still unprofitable unless they can book significant net player sales. COVID could potentially force the hands of clubs to sustainably reduce player wages, on average. So now agents and their players are looking for ways to supplement what is a potentially a lower income stream in the future. Also, Milan has its own particular problems given the recent ownership changes.
  • IraqBruin
    2242 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited November 2020
    I think zlatan is doing the right thing. Imagine some1 using your image to make a pretty big profit. You would all be up in arms don't lie to yourself.

I generally agree with this but I cannot believe he isn't aware that his in game image rights are with FIFPro. If he goes down the legal route, it will probably be with them rather than EA.

I don't think his are, his were sold by Milan as far as I'm aware. If he wants to take legal action against his club good luck to him.

FIFPro
    But are these players members of FIFApro? if so is it through club or country? I think Brazil's and Germany's are not but I could be wrong.
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class

FIFPro
    But are these players members of FIFApro? if so is it through club or country? I think Brazil's and Germany's are not but I could be wrong.

If they're not members, then the lawsuit will be easy for them.

I think with Brazil and that, they negotiate with the member association. I'm no expert on this though. Basically look at the licensing acknowledgements when you turn on the game.
  • AHL
    470 posts An Exciting Prospect

Because the player rights are through FIFAPRO, not the clubs.
  • TDOF
    8998 posts League Winner

FIFPro

If they're not members, then the lawsuit will be easy for them.

I think with Brazil and that, they negotiate with the member association. I'm no expert on this though. Basically look at the licensing acknowledgements when you turn on the game.

Yeah that's why the whole brazilian national team in h2h is made up names.
  • His0ka
    327 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited November 2020
    Looks like EA is going to be slapped with a few law suits (possibly a class action) and possibly injunctions on the certain use of players in game 🧐
  • Pieman25
    19070 posts Moderator
    AHL wrote: »

Because the player rights are through FIFAPRO, not the clubs.

It's strange then EA didn't mention FIFPro at all, they said it was through deals with Milan and Spurs.
  • Magicman52uk
    64 posts Park Captain
    Here's a (very in-depth) article on the similar problem that Manchester United (if i can use their name on a forum) have with Sports Interactive - the makers of Football Manager over the use of their name. A matter which is further down the road and is more likely what tipped off Agents in the first place, before Beckham showed how much they were actually missing out on.

It outlines two very significant points from previous legal decisions which take into account the potential impacts of the use of a "brand" name and how its viewed by the games players.

The article doesn't second guess the outcome, but it does outline that a win for the football industry may mean bigger and more expensive licenses, and a loss would be a potential free-for-all for the gaming industry (which would potentially open the door to PES to use real names without specific licences).

Plus, the result of the United vs SI case would only apply to games sold in the UK.

https://www.mishcon.com/news/brands-in-sports-video-games-whyfootball-managermight-be-the-exception

(Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting that).
  • Pnub
    1079 posts Professional
    I think this is more of a push by the agents against FIFA and FIFPRO as they are trying to introduce reforms in regards to player agent fees.
    Just looking at the FIFA press release last year agents fees were USD 653.9 million which was 4 times as much as 2015 and the proposed reforms will severely limit the amount of money agents can extort hence the timing of this.
  • iTaLenTZ
    560 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Ibra not being in totw basically confirms this
  • Pieman25
    19070 posts Moderator
    Here's a (very in-depth) article on the similar problem that Manchester United (if i can use their name on a forum) have with Sports Interactive - the makers of Football Manager over the use of their name. A matter which is further down the road and is more likely what tipped off Agents in the first place, before Beckham showed how much they were actually missing out on.

It outlines two very significant points from previous legal decisions which take into account the potential impacts of the use of a "brand" name and how its viewed by the games players.

The article doesn't second guess the outcome, but it does outline that a win for the football industry may mean bigger and more expensive licenses, and a loss would be a potential free-for-all for the gaming industry (which would potentially open the door to PES to use real names without specific licences).

Plus, the result of the United vs SI case would only apply to games sold in the UK.

https://www.mishcon.com/news/brands-in-sports-video-games-whyfootball-managermight-be-the-exception

(Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting that).

Great article, enjoyed the read.
  • Mido
    779 posts Semi-Pro
    Miigue wrote: »
    14-BB8-F2-C-6838-4-E35-BA7-E-03-E34-A577-D29.jpg[\img]

FFS, what a growth since 17.

And the game is getting worse and worse. People are hooked. Content has been ramped up massively since then to the point we have a promo nearly every week now.
  • DurbanFC
    295 posts Sunday League Hero
    Ibra and co all sign professional contracts which are monsters of at least 40-50 pages - image rights will have been negotiated long ago. EA have surely paid for the rights? Usually clubs will own the right to market players images (expect for very few players like CR7) and EA must surely have purchased those rights.

From the players perspective, part of getting huge wages per week is to compensate for this use. Seems mercenary at best to be raising this in public forum half way through a season. Take it up during negations in contract - not midway through a pandemic season when you already earn millions off the contract you have already agreed to.
  • AlexBear012
    3401 posts National Call-Up
    iTaLenTZ wrote: »
    Ibra not being in totw basically confirms this

No the strikers did better/sold packs more than him
  • AvalanJ
    1509 posts Play-Off Hero
    Who remembers the Roberto larcos era? pure joy
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    TDOF wrote: »

• IraqBruin
    edited November 2020

Like I said before, EA is going to throw FIFPro under the bus.
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    edited November 2020

No idea how you have come to that conclusion. EA basically are the third party here.

• Kove
    4847 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2020

It may not be their fight but they will be throwing resources at it as the stakes are huge. If Fifpro/leagues lose players collective image rights EA have no one to negotiate the rights with other than the agents themselves.

It will get settled quietly, players will get a better deal. Zlatan et al didn't care until they saw how much money it was making compared to the return they get for their likeness being in the game.

Tbh i kind of agree with him.
  • Moose Factory
    6207 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2020
    Bottom line is I’d rather see more of the fifa point’s money go to Zlatan and other althetes than ❤️❤️❤️❤️ EA executives who have disrespected the beautiful game for too long.
  • IraqBruin
    edited November 2020

No idea how you have come to that conclusion. EA basically are the third party here.
    That is not what Ibra was insinuating though, I thought that EA would just defend itself by saying FIFpro did it and we knew nothing untoward
    Kove wrote: »

It may not be their fight but they will be throwing resources at it as the stakes are huge. If Fifpro/leagues lose players collective image rights EA have no one to negotiate the rights with other than the agents themselves.

It will get settled quietly, players will get a better deal. Zlatan et al didn't care until they saw how much money it was making compared to the return they get for their likeness being in the game.

I know the stakes are huge but the implications include backpay for past use as well as future pay, it i one thing to negotiate a new deal, it is another to give back past revenue.
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class

That is not what Ibra was insinuating though, I thought that EA would just defend itself by saying FIFpro did it and we knew nothing untoward
    Kove wrote: »

I know the stakes are huge but the implications include backpay for past use as well as future pay, it i one thing to negotiate a new deal, it is another to give back past revenue.

Ibra is pointing out the money that EA has made but the fight is between his people and FIFPro. Why would EA want to get involved in a direct fight in which they have no part in that contract?

It's like a married man paying for a lady of the night and his wife blaming her for ruining the marriage.
  • TwoZebras
    6741 posts Big Money Move
    So what's going to happen if more players decided to start tweeting about this? Ibra and Bale no longer getting upgrades is bad enough, but could you imagine Ronaldo saying something
  • TDOF wrote: »

Wait but why then does EA get pissed off and doesn't want to give Ibra and Bale any more Upgrades?
  • TDOF
    8998 posts League Winner
    Mino Raiola strikes back, looks like he's controlling his twitter now, i doubt its actually zlatan

• BondJame5Collins
    2716 posts Fans' Favourite
    Good. Remove them both from the game. They are just trying to get more money. I would understand if they didn’t want to be associated with the game because it encourages gambling but this is all about money for them.

It’s a shame because there are kids who want to use them in video games.