UK Government call for evidence on lootboxes

1
KRANG00
1873 posts Play-Off Hero
The UK government have released a questionnaire to gather evidence for lootboxes >>>

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/loot-boxes-in-video-games-call-for-evidence

Most people hate them and some people don't have an issue but good way to get your point across, you don't need to live in the UK to take part

Comments

  • Too late for FIFA 21.
  • tommyboyo
    4221 posts National Call-Up
    Why people care?

    If you wanna buy FP then do and if you don't, then don't.

    Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.

    Simple.
  • RadioShaq
    19801 posts Moderator
    It’s not the fp it’s the packs they want removed. In the other post the link said lootboxes with or without money. So packs chests like on diablo fortnite wow all simulate gambling. Fp could stay.
  • GoodnightIrene
    4194 posts National Call-Up
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    Why people care?

    If you wanna buy FP then do and if you don't, then don't.

    Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.

    Simple.
    I assume you don't realise how addiction can ruin the life of a person and the people around them?
  • tommyboyo
    4221 posts National Call-Up
    edited September 2020
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    Why people care?

    If you wanna buy FP then do and if you don't, then don't.

    Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.

    Simple.
    I assume you don't realise how addiction can ruin the life of a person and the people around them?

    Mate I was (still am, because you can always relapse) a gambling addict.

    Proper gambling, not dicking around with loot boxes, so yes I understand. I basically ruined my entire 20's punting away all my money + more.

    However, even with my experiences, I believe in free will and freedom of choice.

    Shall we ban everything and anything that can be addictive and where would that leave us?
  • GoodnightIrene
    4194 posts National Call-Up
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    Why people care?

    If you wanna buy FP then do and if you don't, then don't.

    Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.

    Simple.
    I assume you don't realise how addiction can ruin the life of a person and the people around them?

    Mate I was (still am, because you can always relapse) a gambling addict.

    Proper gambling, not dicking around with loot boxes, so yes I understand. I basically ruined my entire 20's punting away all my money + more.

    However, even with my experiences, I believe in free will and freedom of choice.

    Shall we ban everything and anything that can be addictive and where would that leave us?
    So you say 'Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.'
    Then a post later say 'I basically ruined my entire 20's punting away all my money + more.'

    The complete 180 in your statement proves it is not 'simple'.

    For awareness, gambling and addiction are not the same thing.

  • ozcs_69
    4856 posts Big Money Move
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    It’s not the fp it’s the packs they want removed. In the other post the link said lootboxes with or without money. So packs chests like on diablo fortnite wow all simulate gambling. Fp could stay.

    i never had problem with FP and EA making money, the packs are unfair, pack weight is crazy bad, we need to see the content of the pack before we buy it with real money, thats what EPIC did for their fortnite-save the world players, before you spend the V-Bucks on a pack, you see its content...(i have to admit, made me spend more mony on their packs, when i could see what i m buying before buying)
  • ChappellRovers
    3408 posts National Call-Up
    If they ban them and its extended to FP, EA will just start selling players for extravagant amounts of money, can’t be gambling when you know what your getting. Or they will put the exact percentage for each rating rather than the vague ratings they put now.

    I don’t think it’ll make a drop of difference to their profit either way.
  • Quite simple really just release 2 versions of the game. FIFA standard edition which doesn't allow FP and a FIFA ultimate edition which is 18+ and allows FP.
  • KRANG00
    1873 posts Play-Off Hero
    Mossup wrote: »

    I did a search as well :s Obviously not a good one :D
  • KRANG00
    1873 posts Play-Off Hero
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    Why people care?

    If you wanna buy FP then do and if you don't, then don't.

    Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.

    Simple.

    But I didn't mention Fifa points did I? It's all lootboxes

    We get sold half arsed unfinished games across the industry because they don't care and make the money they want from in-game purchases.

    Games are being designed for you to be left behind and miss out on content if you don't spend money, maybe look at the bigger picture?

    People can of course do what they want, the questionnaire is open to anyone pro or against lootboxes, if you love them fill it out and tell them
  • GoodnightIrene
    4194 posts National Call-Up
    I assume EA go the way of Fortnite, CoD and many others with a paid season pass. Hell that could even happen this edition. They'd make less money then if they could sell packs of course, but they'd still make a chunk if they sold a 45 day season pass for £7.99 or something, rammed it with tifos and average untradeable packs and players and so on.
  • RadioShaq
    19801 posts Moderator
    Cod and fortnite still wouldn’t be safe. Fortnite would have to change their chests in game so they are not random. I haven’t played cod but assume it’s random loot when you drop. Same with diablo games. I would guess most are behind this for micro transactions but now they are going after with or without spending money so they could be game changing.
  • VagisilFC
    1492 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2020
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    It’s not the fp it’s the packs they want removed. In the other post the link said lootboxes with or without money. So packs chests like on diablo fortnite wow all simulate gambling. Fp could stay.


    Without the mechanism to buy in game currency (FP) the problem goes away.

    Without packs what would FP be for? They would be useless. Packs without FP are still useful in distributing players and items in the game. The inability to purchase them with real money removes the financial damaging aspect of it and would also remove the incentive for game developers to manipulate consumers with in game mechanics.

    Seeing more and more coverage of this issue in Australia in the last month or two. The whole media and entertainment industry is coming under the spotlight as it reshapes after digital disruption and increased screentime due to COVID.
  • RadioShaq
    19801 posts Moderator
    The packs and chests are what simulate gambling not fp. When you remove packs you can use fp to buy the player.
  • gregsii
    1308 posts Professional
    This tommyboyo is a right chump.
    Talks about gambling yet isn't aware that FIFA has a 3+ age rating or whatever it is.
  • VagisilFC
    1492 posts Play-Off Hero
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    The packs and chests are what simulate gambling not fp. When you remove packs you can use fp to buy the player.

    Surely no one will be on board with pure pay to win. The answer for EA to retain revenue is a subscription model for online modes.
  • Knowlesdinho
    15133 posts World Class
    I did the survey, and it's fairly balanced.

    I've kept emotion out of it and approached it in a fact based way, e.g. that people can spend literally thousands on games and still never pack the best content.
  • RandomLhama83
    10108 posts Has That Special Something
    ""surprise mechanics""

    lmao ea.. jesus christ.
  • selb
    7400 posts League Winner
    ""surprise mechanics""

    lmao ea.. jesus christ.

    Only 2 months later but you got here, well done.
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    16674 posts World Class
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    Why people care?

    If you wanna buy FP then do and if you don't, then don't.

    Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.

    Simple.
    I assume you don't realise how addiction can ruin the life of a person and the people around them?

    Mate I was (still am, because you can always relapse) a gambling addict.

    Proper gambling, not dicking around with loot boxes, so yes I understand. I basically ruined my entire 20's punting away all my money + more.

    However, even with my experiences, I believe in free will and freedom of choice.

    Shall we ban everything and anything that can be addictive and where would that leave us?

    Relax mate. People care because the pack weight (kinder surprise mechanics) are awful. Ea alter with pack weight, notice how it gets better during the end of the game. It's disgusting behaviour. I'd rather have a fp model where you know what you're buying. I.E. An 85-88 player pick cost £5.99.

  • Mjdtheman
    343 posts Sunday League Hero
    Thunder001 wrote: »
    Quite simple really just release 2 versions of the game. FIFA standard edition which doesn't allow FP and a FIFA ultimate edition which is 18+ and allows FP.

    This actually a really good idea.
  • Drizzt
    509 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Mjdtheman wrote: »
    Thunder001 wrote: »
    Quite simple really just release 2 versions of the game. FIFA standard edition which doesn't allow FP and a FIFA ultimate edition which is 18+ and allows FP.

    This actually a really good idea.

    Get it regulated by an outside agency. As someone has mentioned, EA control the pack weights and can changed them by the minute. What the % chance of getting an icon? What the % chance of that icon being a Maradona or Pele?

    I want FP gone because its not just gambling (Yea it is) but because its a rigged game.
  • Spillaren
    2867 posts National Call-Up
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    The packs and chests are what simulate gambling not fp. When you remove packs you can use fp to buy the player.

    would welcome this, probably would have to spend 90% less to get the players I want, make it fairer most likely as I doubt EA would dare to sell Gullit for 1000$ or more
  • Knowlesdinho
    15133 posts World Class
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    Why people care?

    If you wanna buy FP then do and if you don't, then don't.

    Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.

    Simple.
    I assume you don't realise how addiction can ruin the life of a person and the people around them?

    Mate I was (still am, because you can always relapse) a gambling addict.

    Proper gambling, not dicking around with loot boxes, so yes I understand. I basically ruined my entire 20's punting away all my money + more.

    However, even with my experiences, I believe in free will and freedom of choice.

    Shall we ban everything and anything that can be addictive and where would that leave us?

    Relax mate. People care because the pack weight (kinder surprise mechanics) are awful. Ea alter with pack weight, notice how it gets better during the end of the game. It's disgusting behaviour. I'd rather have a fp model where you know what you're buying. I.E. An 85-88 player pick cost £5.99.

    I see your point, but I feel that it would be still a horrible game of chance. Imagine £25 (just picking a figure out of the air) for an 88-91 pack... I can guarantee that Casemiro and take your pick of GKs will be the most pulled.
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    16674 posts World Class
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    Why people care?

    If you wanna buy FP then do and if you don't, then don't.

    Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.

    Simple.
    I assume you don't realise how addiction can ruin the life of a person and the people around them?

    Mate I was (still am, because you can always relapse) a gambling addict.

    Proper gambling, not dicking around with loot boxes, so yes I understand. I basically ruined my entire 20's punting away all my money + more.

    However, even with my experiences, I believe in free will and freedom of choice.

    Shall we ban everything and anything that can be addictive and where would that leave us?

    Relax mate. People care because the pack weight (kinder surprise mechanics) are awful. Ea alter with pack weight, notice how it gets better during the end of the game. It's disgusting behaviour. I'd rather have a fp model where you know what you're buying. I.E. An 85-88 player pick cost £5.99.

    I see your point, but I feel that it would be still a horrible game of chance. Imagine £25 (just picking a figure out of the air) for an 88-91 pack... I can guarantee that Casemiro and take your pick of GKs will be the most pulled.

    Fair enough however £25 can also get you ultimate pack with the highest pull being a 83 Jorginho. You decide?
  • ICE_UP_SON
    1448 posts Professional
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    It’s not the fp it’s the packs they want removed. In the other post the link said lootboxes with or without money. So packs chests like on diablo fortnite wow all simulate gambling. Fp could stay.


    Without the mechanism to buy in game currency (FP) the problem goes away.

    Without packs what would FP be for? They would be useless. Packs without FP are still useful in distributing players and items in the game. The inability to purchase them with real money removes the financial damaging aspect of it and would also remove the incentive for game developers to manipulate consumers with in game mechanics.

    Seeing more and more coverage of this issue in Australia in the last month or two. The whole media and entertainment industry is coming under the spotlight as it reshapes after digital disruption and increased screentime due to COVID.

    They would just sell coins for fifa points or allow you to buy players directly. If packs are removed the gap between people who spend on this game and those who don’t would be wider than its ever been.
  • malky
    748 posts Semi-Pro
    KRANG00 wrote: »
    The UK government have released a questionnaire to gather evidence for lootboxes >>>

    https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/loot-boxes-in-video-games-call-for-evidence

    Most people hate them and some people don't have an issue but good way to get your point across, you don't need to live in the UK to take part

    They won't be short of witnessess😂😂
  • Knowlesdinho
    15133 posts World Class
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    tommyboyo wrote: »
    Why people care?

    If you wanna buy FP then do and if you don't, then don't.

    Leave others to do what they want and everyone is happy.

    Simple.
    I assume you don't realise how addiction can ruin the life of a person and the people around them?

    Mate I was (still am, because you can always relapse) a gambling addict.

    Proper gambling, not dicking around with loot boxes, so yes I understand. I basically ruined my entire 20's punting away all my money + more.

    However, even with my experiences, I believe in free will and freedom of choice.

    Shall we ban everything and anything that can be addictive and where would that leave us?

    Relax mate. People care because the pack weight (kinder surprise mechanics) are awful. Ea alter with pack weight, notice how it gets better during the end of the game. It's disgusting behaviour. I'd rather have a fp model where you know what you're buying. I.E. An 85-88 player pick cost £5.99.

    I see your point, but I feel that it would be still a horrible game of chance. Imagine £25 (just picking a figure out of the air) for an 88-91 pack... I can guarantee that Casemiro and take your pick of GKs will be the most pulled.

    Fair enough however £25 can also get you ultimate pack with the highest pull being a 83 Jorginho. You decide?

    Absolutely, and my choice would be neither tbh.
Sign In or Register to comment.